I just think it's sad that Sony has again made a unit that was a player first and a game system 2nd. This time it's better because nobody had a Blu-Ray player, yet a bunch of US people had DVD players. They're going to lose their pull in the next series of consoles, and then it isn't going to be as good as this one because they can't justify throwing so much money into another one. That talk about expecting the PS3 to be around for 10 years was brilliant.

But enough ranting, it is very good for Blu-Ray, haven't really got the other media stuff to work with my computer video. The extra 100-200 dollars will give you a player that'll be good for 5 years (like all consoles) as opposed to one that'll only be good for 2-3 years. You'll probably spend that 100-200 on the next budget player, yet you can get a very good player for the whole period. And if you really want to set up a decent home theater system then that'll be something to think about.

Quick question: What's the best cheap DVD keep case you can buy? As in, generic black ones, to replace your old ones that have gotten scuffed, etc? I just want to transfer the disc and artwork sleeve to new cases to have everyhting look nice and new. Target seems to sell Fellowes brand, Best Buy has their own Dynex brand. I'd like to get actual Amaray ones, but are they only sold OEM?

Sorry, I have no idea where to get Amaray DVD cases from.

But if you're looking to keep your DVD cases from getting scuffed up, try these DVD sleeves out. I use them with all my import games and R2 DVDs, just in case I plan on selling them in the future. The sleeves contain a reusable adhesive right where the top flap folds down, so you don't need to use any tape to keep the sleeves closed. The sleeves are also made of some sort of material that creates a slight abrasion when two seperate sleeves are touching. I'm not sure if this intentional or not, but it comes in real handy if you're moving stacks of DVD's and don't want the cases slip-sliding all over the place. Otherwise, you're not going to feel any abrasion if you're just holding it in your hand or it's lying on a table.

Oh yeah, you can also buy DVD cases (not Amaray) from the site I posted, but I've never actually purchased any from there. Though I can say that their customer service is top-notch, so you don't have to worry about getting ripped off.

Sorry, I have no idea where to get Amaray DVD cases from.

But if you're looking to keep your DVD cases from getting scuffed up, try these DVD sleeves out. I use them with all my import games and R2 DVDs, just in case I plan on selling them in the future. The sleeves contain a reusable adhesive right where the top flap folds down, so you don't need to use any tape to keep the sleeves closed. The sleeves are also made of some sort of material that creates a slight abrasion when two seperate sleeves are touching. I'm not sure if this intentional or not, but it comes in real handy if you're moving stacks of DVD's and don't want the cases slip-sliding all over the place. Otherwise, you're not going to feel any abrasion if you're just holding it in your hand or it's lying on a table.

Oh yeah, you can also buy DVD cases (not Amaray) from the site I posted, but I've never actually purchased any from there. Though I can say that their customer service is top-notch, so you don't have to worry about getting ripped off.

You know, that's a damn fine idea. I would like to keep certain DVDs safe from dust and what not. Mostly my imports that tend to be pricey and more difficult to replace.

Quick question: What's the best cheap DVD keep case you can buy? As in, generic black ones, to replace your old ones that have gotten scuffed, etc? I just want to transfer the disc and artwork sleeve to new cases to have everyhting look nice and new. Target seems to sell Fellowes brand, Best Buy has their own Dynex brand. I'd like to get actual Amaray ones, but are they only sold OEM?

www.sleevetown.com

I've bought DVD and BD cases from them, among a lot of other things.

Just watched Sleeping Beauty and it looks amazing. Then again I haven't seen it in ages so I have no reference to it either.

Nice thing that Disney did was on the exterior of the BD package they gave you the DVD version of the movie as well so that you could play it elsewhere. Pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

the article makes some good points. Ultimately, BD discs and equipment costs too much and studios are F@CKING STUPID in what movies they choose to release.

do they really think the sort of person who's invested thousands (tens of?) just to watch movies really wants to watch Step it Up 2???

Get AAA titles on the shelves, release discs with HD audio (you hearing me warner bros?), and get the price down to DVD levels or include DVD/Digital copies at no extra cost.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I thought it was an interesting article.

Read: Blu-ray is dead!

I recently bought a 1080p HDTV, but I still have no interest in Blu-ray. Still happy with my DVDs.

Graham

Blu-ray dead? I say BS!

Blu-ray may not have been as successful as DVD, but it has certainly been successful. In two years, it's already surpassed the sale of Laserdisc in it's first ten. The player and movies are still selling quite well (Iron Man broke records, IIRC). The main problem with Blu-ray at the moment is the economy. It's kind of hard to justify $400 dollars for a PS3 when you can't pay the mortgage.

I hear the studios are going to be pushing Blu-ray a lot more in 2009. There are supposed to be big plans, but we will see.

The main problem with Blu-ray at the moment is the economy. It's kind of hard to justify $400 dollars for a PS3 when you can't pay the mortgage.

Bingo. Blu-ray's dominance really came at a bad time. When upconverting DVD players are $50 USD or less and Blu-Ray players are $250+ USD, you gotta wonder which one people are going to stick with. Maybe when people have money, people will switch to Blu-Ray. But right now, a lot of people are clamming up when it comes to that check book.

Yay. Bluray doom and gloom. Could've sworn I saw his articles were pro HD DVD during the "war" but I could be wrong. It's been said over and over that the big factor/measuring stick will be the one year mark/this holiday season. Funny thing how these alarmist blogs appear just before the US Black Friday sales (where BB is rumored to have a sub $200 BD Insignia player) and this holiday season. Pre-emptive strike by bitter HD DVD backers?

Bill Hunts rebuttal over at DigitalBits:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa161.html#bdrant

Over at HiDefDigest:

Originally Posted by ack_bak

The Robin Harris article did have a few good points. But it had some very bad points as well. He does not talk about marketshare gains year over year. He does not talk about how many blockbuster new releases are capturing 10% of the market vs DVD. He is convinced that Blu-Ray is already dead because upconverting players are good enough but he does not describe what technology will come along and surpass Blu-Ray and DVD. He seems to infer that it will be downloads/streaming content, but you can apply the same forward thinking arguments that he puts forward with Blu-Ray to downlaods:

- He complains about Blu-Ray players being too expensive and should cost about $50 more than a DVD player. Fine, tell that to Apple, Microsoft, Vudu, etc as well. The Roku is the only box that even comes close to DVD player pricing at $100. But it still does not even offer HD content. HTPC's? Wake me up when those cost $75-100.

- He says the BDA should recoginize that consumers do not need Blu-Ray. Umm. Consumers don't "need" downloads either. Technically they don't "need" DVD. What a stupid thing to say. Thanks captain obvious.

- He says that Blu-Ray disc price margins should be equal or less than DVD. Less than DVD? Wake my up when downloads are less than DVD too. And I am not just talking about buying, I am talking about renting. Last time I checked lesser quality HD downloads cost more than Blu-Ray rentals.

- He says the BDA should fire all the market research firms. The problem, Robin, is that nobody can predict the future. So Robin was expecting the whole world to basically go into a recession over night? If he can predict that, then I he should be rich enough not to have to write sensationalisitc Blog articles and should be working on Wall Street.

His article was pretty over the top and ridiculous. The title was clearly written to draw readers in, but I saw very little facts and a lot of opinionated speculation.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I thought it was an interesting article.

Read: Blu-ray is dead!

I recently bought a 1080p HDTV, but I still have no interest in Blu-ray. Still happy with my DVDs.

Graham

And you should be. The only time you should, IMO, double dip movies is if it's a really good movie that gets the full HD treatment. Lord knows Aliens really needs it as it sucks when upconverted. Really really sucks. And though I disagree with Eugimon about SU2-type movies, I like good choreographed movies, there really should be more AAA titles out there.

Hey I know which movie to get you started on Bluray double dip. Blade Runner. It's good and the case comes with alot of extras. :D

That article is BS. It takes a couple months but once I got the 1080p TV back in 2006, that was the gateway drug. By later that year I had stopped buying DVD.

Noone is expected to replace their library... but there's no reason to at all to buy new releases on DVD. Hell, I don't even see most movies anymore. My home theater experience is far better, no kids, no cell phones, no overpriced concessions, etc. Every now and then but mostly I can more than do the 3 month wait.

Iron Man BD pulled in 16% of the disc revenue. At this stage in the game that's phenomenal. Dark Knight is going to do even better.

Yay. Bluray doom and gloom. Could've sworn I saw his articles were pro HD DVD during the "war" but I could be wrong. It's been said over and over that the big factor/measuring stick will be the one year mark/this holiday season. Funny thing how these alarmist blogs appear just before the US Black Friday sales (where BB is rumored to have a sub $200 BD Insignia player) and this holiday season. Pre-emptive strike by bitter HD DVD backers?

Bill Hunts rebuttal over at DigitalBits:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa161.html#bdrant

Over at HiDefDigest:

And you should be. The only time you should, IMO, double dip movies is if it's a really good movie that gets the full HD treatment. Lord knows Aliens really needs it as it sucks when upconverted. Really really sucks. And though I disagree with Eugimon about SU2-type movies, I like good choreographed movies, there really should be more AAA titles out there.

Hey I know which movie to get you started on Bluray double dip. Blade Runner. It's good and the case comes with alot of extras. :D

there's nothing wrong with the genre, just that particularly bad movie.

Blu-Ray looks best on my big TV. DVD just look good. They aren't flying off the shelves because no one is trying to make the DVD obsolete. DVD are cheaper, they are advertise more, both new titles and title for DVD only are being release for it. Great availability and pricing. For your average consumer DVD are the way too go.

Blu-Ray are expensive in comparison. Sure they are fantastic in quality but most people are fine with their DVD. They get little advertising compared to DVDs. Instead of a focus at releasing big epic spectacles from the present to 20 years ago. We see mostly just current releases.

Serenity is in the right step. It has been very hard avoiding that $8 DVD copy I be seening for the last year.

I guess I can hold off on the JP Blu-ray of Sin City. Transformers Extended cut? Megan Fox topless... umm naked? :ph34r:

Our friend Bill Hunt has a few updates on upcoming 2009 Blu-ray releases from studios, as well as a couple new titles coming to fans soon. As previously rumored, Paramount will be bringing the first six Star Trek theatrical films to Blu-ray next year around the time of the next Star Trek film release, which is due to hit theaters in May.

Paramount is also planing to release 'Transformers: Extended Edition' timed with the theatrical release of the second Transformers film.

Disney is planning to release 'Pretty Woman' in February, followed by 'Sin City' sometime there after. There is also talk that 'Armageddon' will see release sometime during the Spring as well.

And finally, astute readers will have noticed that Warner Japan has announced their first four Batman films for Blu-ray release. Warner has yet to confirm a US release, but sources say that they'll be in the US sometime in the Spring.

* Paramount Star Trek: The Motion Picture

* Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

* Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

* Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

* Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

* Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

* Transformers: Extended Edition

Walt Disney

* Pretty Woman (February)

* Sin City

* Armageddon

Warner Brothers

* Batman

* Batman Returns

* Batman and Robin

* Batman Forever

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2047

Edited by dejr8bud

highdefdigest's review of BD firefly mentions the reviewer's suspicion of a future double dip with more features... guess I'm waiting.

Everything is eligible for double dip. Doesn't mean you need to buy it, but as always in the case of Firefly/Serenity...buy it again anyways and donate the cold copies to more would be fans. ^_^

K-mart has this Sony Blu-ray player going for $179 on Black Friday.

Black Friday Listing

http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/kmart-th...-friday-ad.html

K-mart's current listing (so you know which model it is)

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_0...xKeepCash&=

Correction: This deal will be available on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday Nov. 27th.

Edited by sharky