Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

Fellow Macross Worlders,

I have to write this letter to issue my most sincere apolagies about the toy's I have recently purchased over the past 18 months. Now mind you it has only been 4 items, but I am diabled and my income is somewhat limited. So I had to make my choices bassed on the theory "The most bang for the buck". So after reading the coments in this column, and several others I decided on the Mega House Ride Armor and the Beta fighte from "TOON-A" I have t say I have was very pleased with the Megga-House Ride armors (well ecept for the nasty habbit of the wheels falling down in armor mode and the loose forearms in armor mode.) (If anyone out there can clue me in on fixing the problems please let me know.) Now after my issues, however small the may seem to the general public, I must say I was waiting, with some dread in my heart, for the beta to show up, after all I am a diabled vet on a fixed income with 2 kids, money for toys is very low in our household I have to say after opening the box with nervous trembeling fingers, after slowly slicing the tape around the edges of the box, like a nervous schoolboy in the back if the limmo on promnight working the zipper on his dates dress, the waiting, the expectation, the sound of my own heart pounding away in my chest so loud that I was sure everyone must hear the thunderous beat of my heart. Finaly as I workrd the last twist tie free of those arms, that magnificent design, the materials, the obvious quality control that went into this final product. I slowly stripped away the remaining plastic, and as I set it slowly down set this fine example of mechanical enginering down on my drafting table, I knew finaly, after the exorbitant cost of the Yamatos, after the scale being all over the place, first it's 1/60 then its 1/55 then 1/48, now it's back to 1/60. But I knew finaly at last I understood sitting there gazing at that beta fighter I finaly knew what it ment to have a gigantic, proud, imense robot chubby, and I knew it would a last a time much longer than it had it quite some time. This is a magnificent product the quality and skill, scale and subject matter we see so seldome these days. My only regret is that I will experiance this pleasure but once, because just like your first time with your lady there can only be one fist time. My message to you ladies and gentilmen is not to let this experiance pass you by, a toy like this, just like that magic lady comes by but once in life, and seldome returns agan.

Mechfactory / The 3rd Cav Tanker

One? I already got a second one ordered and on the way! :D

Any reservations I had about getting a second one were quickly removed once I got my first Beta in hand (I just had to get some holiday bills paid first ;) ). That impressive wingspan, the sheer size of the combo fighter, it's a pretty awesome sight.

Granted, the Beta does have some flaws, but I'm happy with what we got.

Anyways.....back to the Beagle..........It's too bad Toynami didn't just stick with their initial Scott headsculpt. That one actually strikes a nice appropriate balance between the two heads we eventually wound up with.

Well I've spent a couple hours now with my Beagle and I can really say I am very impressed. The earlier complaint I had actually corrected somewhat when I noticed it had not been transformed correctly in bike mode from the factory. Its quite a bit better now.

Finally got the courage up to transform it and it went well. Despite looking complex the transformation seemd pretty easy actually. Mine locks together pretty well in armor mode and looks great.

Only real issue with mine is that the windscreen seems a little "tweaked", it looks a little crooked in bike mode and really crooked in armor mode, but for some reason the whole "back/tank" area looks crooked from the top, like one side isn't seated correctly but it was properly transformed so I dunno.

Overall I'm pleased, its a great figure. Impressive for a first attempt for Beagle for a complex transforming toy!

Vostok 7

I just deleted this post from Mr. Chogokin in the other Beagle thread:

Crap. I haven't receive my pricey beagle yet and already I see so many requests for improvements. Why do I keep thinking this company is another Yamato in the making. I really hope it's not. :lol::ph34r:

The other thread is for actual issues with the toy that makes it not work to it's full potential AS BUILT. Everything else, like saddle bags, aesthetic complaints are not relevant. And posts like the one above that don't have anything to do with the thread will be deleted.

Remember it's there to make future releases less troublesome as a toy. You can PM Save as far as things that you wish came with the toy.

If anyone has a problem with the wheels lining up (front & back ) in bike mode, I found that the kick stand can prevent the front wheel from locking/lining up .

Swivel the kick stand and you,ll see a connection point where the wheel.s white stem base and it are mean,t to fit into eachother!!

If there is another problem NOT related to the kickstand/wheels not lining up ,I retract this statment.Hope it helps!! :lol:

I just deleted this post from Mr. Chogokin in the other Beagle thread:

The other thread is for actual issues with the toy that makes it not work to it's full potential AS BUILT. Everything else, like saddle bags, aesthetic complaints are not relevant. And posts like the one above that don't have anything to do with the thread will be deleted.

Remember it's there to make future releases less troublesome as a toy. You can PM Save as far as things that you wish came with the toy.

Okay sorry about that. It's just gives me crazy thoughts to read up that many issues with such an expensive toy; one that I have yet to receive at that. And to ask advice from people who buy these things... outrageous... I mean, who would be the best people to know ways to improve the ride armor inside out, collectors like us or the makers themselves? I bought the Beagle with the confidence that it will succeed the Gakken, but reading those feedbacks in the other thread... :blink:

Okay sorry about that. It's just gives me crazy thoughts to read up that many issues with such an expensive toy; one that I have yet to receive at that. And to ask advice from people who buy these things... outrageous... I mean, who would be the best people to know ways to improve the ride armor inside out, collectors like us or the makers themselves? I bought the Beagle with the confidence that it will succeed the Gakken, but reading those feedbacks in the other thread... :blink:

Where would Yamato be if they never took the fans advice? We would still have 1/72 scale valkyries with broken hips, exposed swingbars and partsforming. The people they are trying to sell to are the ones they need to please, so it only makes sense to ask them for advice. I think it's an excellent move on Beagle's part and I applaud them for listening to the consumer to improve their product. So no, I don't think its outrageous to ask the buyers for ideas for improving. Think of all the companies that have never asked for consumer input on products and where they are today ^_^

And I wouldn't make much of the issues raised in that thread. The toy is excellent as it is, there are just a few minor issues that need to be addressed to make it absolutely perfect. The only MAJOR issues from the thread that actually effect anything are the fact that the helmeted head is too loose when attached to the toy and that the cloth part of the riding suit really sucks. Both are pretty easily remedied even after purchase. If you are expecting another Gakken based on durability, then you should know that those days are long gone. And of course, the accuracy and posability of the Beagle trumps the Gakken in spades. The Beagle toy is to the Gakken what Yamato valkyries are to a Takatoku 1/55 valkryie.

Vostok 7

I don't have a lot of Yamato's toys, but I have enough to know that it's one thing to look for advice from your customers for genuine improvement, but on the other hand, it's not putting themselves in the shoes of the customers to anticipate problems, and ultimately sell a well-thought out product that will not waste the customers' time and money. The only thing that deserve applause here is how positive you still are, after buying such an expensive toy with those obvious problems... I hope I can be as positive when I encounter those problems. I'm praying hard that I'm just being paranoid for no reason. lol!

It's pretty standard business to ask customers if they're satisfied with the product you've given them and to make changes if they're not. Even fast food companies have cards asking customers to rate their experience and to make notes where they think there should be improvement. The way in which Beagle is asking for feedback shouldn't be any means for criticism. They told a blogger in Japan who they have a relationship with to see if there'd been any common complaints... they didn't make a formal request from random customers to redesign their product for them. The customers are essentially the bosses of these companies... and I know I can do a lot of things at work my bosses can't but I still ask my bosses for feedback on how I could be a better employee.

I think you're jinxing yourself Mr. Chogokin. Expect a good toy, a great toy, but not a perfect toy and you should be fine. I can all but guarantee you will think it's easily the best Ride Armor ever made. Hopefully all this feedback will make the Rand/Ray version even better.

yeah the Beagle is good..just not $200 dollars good ,and if they address the issues from the other thread it most likely will be.

Thank-you very very very much Save and Exo for Beagle,s ear!!! :lol:

Gilermo,

great pic of stick inserting the hbt cell in the feul tank...did you manage to get it all the way out?

Do you think it would damage the tank if you tried?(Still haven,t worked up the courage to try it) :huh:

I don't have a lot of Yamato's toys, but I have enough to know that it's one thing to look for advice from your customers for genuine improvement, but on the other hand, it's not putting themselves in the shoes of the customers to anticipate problems, and ultimately sell a well-thought out product that will not waste the customers' time and money. The only thing that deserve applause here is how positive you still are, after buying such an expensive toy with those obvious problems... I hope I can be as positive when I encounter those problems. I'm praying hard that I'm just being paranoid for no reason. lol!

Really really really do yourself a favor and read Jenius' review of the Beagle very well. It's very fair and does a good job pointing out the good points and flaws of the figure without making too much out of the flaws like everyone does in the issues thread. Think of the issues thread as being a "worst case scenario" thing that makes mountains out of the molehills that are some of the issues with the figure, mostly just to bring them to the attention of the makers.

Just don't expect the thing to be the next coming of Jesus Christ. It's definitely not. But it's still a very good figure.

And I felt that it's worth the asking price, even with the supposed "flaws".

Vostok 7

Guys don't get me wrong on this but the issues on the other thread deals mainly with tightness of joints, parts that ought to lock properly, cloth material that shouldn't tear or run out of the armor, targeting scope that doesn't fall, smaller box... etc... sound very much like unwanted problems that shouldn't exist with a little common sense, no?

What I find outrageous is that, instead doing away with those problems in the first place, they are like asking us on whether we would like to do away with those problems now... after we bought them. Make any sense? :lol:

Guys don't get me wrong on this but the issues on the other thread deals mainly with tightness of joints, parts that ought to lock properly, cloth material that shouldn't tear or run out of the armor, targeting scope that doesn't fall, smaller box... etc... sound very much like unwanted problems that shouldn't exist with a little common sense, no?

What I find outrageous is that, instead doing away with those problems in the first place, they are like asking us on whether we would like to do away with those problems now... after we bought them. Make any sense? :lol:

Makes a lot of sense, actually.

The item might be designed with aesthetics more in mind than playability; i.e., it was meant to be posed, occasionally transformed and reposed, but not heavily played with. Some of the issues you mentioned won't be much of a case if the item is used as it is intended and designed/ built for.

Of course, once it gets out to the market, some of these assumptions doesn't hold. People play with it more as a toy, harder and harsher than a designer or QC'er might. In such a case, the intent didn't match the usage, so it's a fair shake for the company to ask, and change any assumptions that didn't work out.

You might think it's a strange thing to do, but it's something I see very often in IT; users misuse software a lot, abuse sometimes, and designers make a lot of assumptions that usually doesn't pan out right. It's not nice, but it happens, and it's good that the company makes the effort to correct its misplaced assumptions.

Edited by Lynx7725

I dont have it yet, but my guess would be that they are satisfied with their release but is open for improvements. I'm kinda surprised at all the issues listed. Cant wait to see if they will be on my Toynami version.

mr. chogokin, also please remember this is the first time Beagle has ever made anything like this. Mostly they do PVC-type figures. A transforming mecha is a first for them, so really, they wouldn't have the "common sense" to know how to do it right when they are just learning (which is why I compared them to Yamato, the 1/72 Mac+ line was their first attempt at transformable mecha as well). Keeping in mind that this is a first for them, the figure is frakking fantastic (which is why I said that the figure was like if Yamato went right to making the 1/48 valks the first time)! And that's why they are taking suggestions, they want to go from making a fantastic figure, to making an even BETTER figure.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Okay please stop comparing Beagle to Yamato... please. :) If history and their practice of listening to customers for making better products really worked out well for everyone, Yamato has been everywhere and nowhere. And I hope Yamato's involvement with Beagle stops dead at the packaging.

Okay please stop comparing Beagle to Yamato... please. :) If history and their practice of listening to customers for making better products really worked out well for everyone, Yamato has been everywhere and nowhere. And I hope Yamato's involvement with Beagle stops dead at the packaging.

I don't understand what you mean.

Yamato made the regular Garland.

Fans complained about problems with it.

They then offered free replacement parts that fixed a number of the problems that fans complained about, and by the time they did the Proto-Garland, they had incorporated those fixes and made additional improvements.

New colors which essentially were the same design as the original Garland also incorporated the fixes (unlike Toynami who kept using the same molds for each new color Alpha, despite fan complaints).

I would hope that Beagle DOES follow the Yamato approach.

Oh, I know about the replacement parts offered by Yamato. I also know about the so-called improvements Yamato made for the later runs up till the ProtoGarland... The problem with the replacement parts is the shipping I have to pay to get it.

Also, my Army Garland has an inner part in the right arm that is broken out of box which I tried to fix, but end up creating some stress mark because Yamato glued the plastic biceps covering it. The left knee guard on it doesn't work as well as the right knee guard... I can't fix that because of the glued parts also.

My Factory Garland's right feet part pops out, and separates completely from the leg during transformation. When I tried to fix it back, I realize that I should tighten the ankle screw a little bit so the pressure will allow the feet part to hold better to the leg... But I can't because when I did, I discovered that the plastic ankle screw hole has worn off and the screw can't grip any tighter.

My least problematic ProtoGarland came with a broken handle.

And all the replacement parts above need to be paid for since I'm not in the US or Japan. I can't get no satisfaction at all!

So yeah, I hope to death that Beagle does not follow Yamato's approach... I don't mention Toynami because my experience with them is limited... although their Voltron is good stuff but if everything as I heard about Toynami is truly crap, mentioning them is pointless. There is a serious need to have a company that guys like Yamato can learn from.

If Beagle does become like Yamato, this will be the last product I'll buy from them. :)

Oh, I know about the replacement parts offered by Yamato. I also know about the so-called improvements Yamato made for the later runs up till the ProtoGarland... The problem with the replacement parts is the shipping I have to pay to get it.

Also, my Army Garland has an inner part in the right arm that is broken out of box which I tried to fix, but end up creating some stress mark because Yamato glued the plastic biceps covering it. The left knee guard on it doesn't work as well as the right knee guard... I can't fix that because of the glued parts also.

My Factory Garland's right feet part pops out, and separates completely from the leg during transformation. When I tried to fix it back, I realize that I should tighten the ankle screw a little bit so the pressure will allow the feet part to hold better to the leg... But I can't because when I did, I discovered that the plastic ankle screw hole has worn off and the screw can't grip any tighter.

My least problematic ProtoGarland came with a broken handle.

And all the replacement parts above need to be paid for since I'm not in the US or Japan. I can't get no satisfaction at all!

So yeah, I hope to death that Beagle does not follow Yamato's approach... I don't mention Toynami because my experience with them is limited... although their Voltron is good stuff but if everything as I heard about Toynami is truly crap, mentioning them is pointless. There is a serious need to have a company that guys like Yamato can learn from.

If Beagle does become like Yamato, this will be the last product I'll buy from them. :)

You've clearly had much more experience with these products than I have, and some very bad experiences at that.

My limited experience with Yamato has led to them replacing my issues promptly and free of charge, including no shipping costs, as I am in the USA.

My limited experience with Toynami has consisted of poor designs which were NEVER remedied, nor even ackowledged as genuine issues, with the expectation of me paying pretty ridiculous shipping costs.

I am EXTREMELY please with my (limited) dealings with Yamato, but understand why you're not.

Well I preordered the Toynami version, but if Beagle is asking for consumer's feedback, we'll probably see an improved Stig re-release sometime soon, which means I'll have to get the Japanese version anyway, since Toynami won't be able to release it stateside, due to the Limited Edition thing.

Same here. Still no word on that shipping out ("End of January"), and the Robotech site went down today.

Yeah, I'm unable to appreciate the improvements made by Yamato on its future products because by then my money is already spent. So looks like I got to read up reviews and not preorder so much based on the attractive pictures... and hope that I can still get one when the toy turns out to be really excellent. :(

:)

Stick's wearing off the missle launcher housing, and about to blow himself to kingdom come. I had a peg hit the ground like that once on an old GS 550, that was an experience :)

I fixed it ^_^ I just had it that low because it looked cool with him leaned over that much. I moved the stand up one notch so it's a little more "realistic".

Unfortunately, the chicken strips on my last bike were pretty big so I never got to enjoy the feeling of dragging a peg :lol:

Vostok 7

Well I preordered the Toynami version, but if Beagle is asking for consumer's feedback, we'll probably see an improved Stig re-release sometime soon, which means I'll have to get the Japanese version anyway, since Toynami won't be able to release it stateside, due to the Limited Edition thing.

I,m a box collector ,I bought 2 of the Stick(1 which is un-opened mint in box AND shrink wrapped at my own expense) if Beagle re-issues the Stick I hope my original Stick will still be worth something??Theres no way I can afford another re-issue of Stick ,with the other Beagle issues thread ,I am just hoping for a better Ley/Rand figure and tighter bike!!

PLEASE BEAGLE ....... don,t force me into a corner to buy another re-issue of Stick I don,t have the strength....I beg you I,ll be GOOD very very good!!

I have a wife and 2.2 kids to feed...(I don,t actually ....but if I did ..they,d be dead from starvation and I,d be holding a minty Beagle with a guilty smile on my face) :wacko:

I fixed it ^_^ I just had it that low because it looked cool with him leaned over that much. I moved the stand up one notch so it's a little more "realistic".

Unfortunately, the chicken strips on my last bike were pretty big so I never got to enjoy the feeling of dragging a peg :lol:

Vostok 7

:)

I definitely would not anticipate a re-release of Stig by Beagle. I have to assume all this info gathering is more for the Ray release and it might as well be since Ray will need some hype. If Ray was just a straight reissue of Stig but with the gun and different figure they probably wouldn't sell that many. If Ray is an improvement that could go a long way.

Yep, Beagle are gathering customer support and feedback to improve their product the way that any good company would. So far there have been relatively few complaints, most are about loose fittings and the fragile stitching of the cloth material - not too sure how they can improve the fittings by the next Rey production run but hopefully they will go with an improved cloth solution... and offer a replacement red one for Stick owners too... up to them.

Thanks again Save :)

Rumour I got from a supplier is that Beagle were worried that they wouldn't have enough orders for their first production run, so maybe Toynami actually came through for them/us... :blink: So take extra good care of your Beagles, we probably won't be seeing them re-issued.

Beagle :wub: