Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

A bunch of pics of the Masterpiece Beta can be seen at the Japanese 2chan site:

http://nov.2chan.net/y/res/1606225.htm

Love the push-ups pic! :D

Can't wait to get this big bad bastard (I really hope Kevin got enough pre-orders earlier this summer :unsure: .)

In any case, time to get my furry little avatar a stirring...

here you have guys i finally got mine

I'm not really a stickler for being "anime-accurate" but, looking at this pics, isn't the Tread supposed to be a lot bigger relative to the Legioss?

I'm not really a stickler for being "anime-accurate" but, looking at this pics, isn't the Tread supposed to be a lot bigger relative to the Legioss?

That's an old Gakken 1/35 Legioss and the Tread is 1/55. It's an apples and oranges comparison that's causing your visual confusion. If the MPC Alpha was present you'd see the Beta towering over it.

That's an old Gakken 1/35 Legioss and the Tread is 1/55. It's an apples and oranges comparison that's causing your visual confusion. If the MPC Alpha was present you'd see the Beta towering over it.
I'm pretty sure the Toynami Alpha is 1/48. So it would only make sense for the Beta to be 1/48 as well. Edited by RD Blade

I'm pretty sure the Toynami Alpha is 1/48. So it would only make sense for the Beta to be 1/48 as well.

Toynami bills their Alpha MPC fighter as 1/55 scale to match their 1/55 Veritech MPC. It is based on the IMAI 1/48 kit, but the pilot in the Alpha MPC is clearly 1/55.

Ok, thanks.

Gorgeous. Thank you.

The blue legioss are sold out, so my second choice is a dark, but I wanted to get one to match whatever tread I end up getting later, so wanted to make sure it would be available at some point.

I know, I feel the need for all color of MOSPEADA (not that I've bought any yet), but am content with one color of legioss/tread.

Thanks again.

Toynami bills their Alpha MPC fighter as 1/55 scale to match their 1/55 Veritech MPC. It is based on the IMAI 1/48 kit, but the pilot in the Alpha MPC is clearly 1/55.

You should never go by the pilot for scale. The pilot is probably the last thing they have in mind when making the dimensions. It's just there fill the cockpit.

Can't really say i like the Beta over the Tread (CM) but the red looks cool, fact it's much bigger is tempting.

Jenius you know you gotta try and connect the Legioss (CM) to the Toynami Beta. Just even it's remotely possibly is enough for me to buy one.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Gorgeous. Thank you.

The blue legioss are sold out, so my second choice is a dark, but I wanted to get one to match whatever tread I end up getting later, so wanted to make sure it would be available at some point.

I know, I feel the need for all color of MOSPEADA (not that I've bought any yet), but am content with one color of legioss/tread.

Thanks again.

Well, you can still find the blue one on ebay. Yesterday I got my sencond blue from there, at $130. (I'm a lucky bastard, as the price of this toy in the last months has been between 150 and 250).

Did the QC improve with later releases of the Toynami MP Alpha?

In my admittedly limited experience, no. I bought one of the first blue Alphas and one of the heels was put on upside-down. Unfortunately this wasn't something I could fix myself (the screw hole was filled with resin glue) so the folks at Robotech.com gave me a full refund, which was nice.

I waited for the last Alpha, the Shadow. It was just as fiddly as the blue one and I never quite got it back into fighter mode perfectly. I still have it and plan on clipping it to the Shadow Beta when it comes.

Well, you can still find the blue one on ebay. Yesterday I got my sencond blue from there, at $130. (I'm a lucky bastard, as the price of this toy in the last months has been between 150 and 250).

Ahhh. So your the lucky bastard who yanked that alpha from my cold dead hands. <_<

In my admittedly limited experience, no. I bought one of the first blue Alphas and one of the heels was put on upside-down. Unfortunately this wasn't something I could fix myself (the screw hole was filled with resin glue) so the folks at Robotech.com gave me a full refund, which was nice.

I waited for the last Alpha, the Shadow. It was just as fiddly as the blue one and I never quite got it back into fighter mode perfectly. I still have it and plan on clipping it to the Shadow Beta when it comes.

I ended up with 6 Alphas, plus one blue Legioss from Aoshima, and I can say pretty comprehensively that no, the toy didn't improve during in later production runs. However, I would argue that the problem with the Alpha is more poor design than poor QC, but that's semantics.. whatever you call it, they don't fit together well in fighter mode. I had hand breakage on 2 or 3 of em, I forget. The Shadow has simpler hands and is thus probably a little more immune to hand breakage. For whatever reason, I had somewhat better luck with the Aoshima, although that runs contrary to most reports. On my Aoshima, the hands seem to be made of sterner stuff.

Nevertheless, I love the Toynami Alpha, it has the best looking robot mode available on a transforming Alpha/Legioss toy. And I think Toynami overall has a fine QC record - I bought all of the VF's and never experienced a problem, nor any problems with the Voltron. The Alpha is the sole bad spot on their record, as far as I'm concerned (but it is a doozy).

That's good to know. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a cheap bastard when it comes to these things. Too many regular household and family expenses, don't spend a lot of money on myself, so have trouble justifying spending a lot on, well, frankly, what is a toy that I will mostly display, rarely playing with.

I believe you mean to say: "I'm seeing blue Aoshima Legiosses on eBay for around $60 to $70, but only one Scott MPC for $160."

Ok, I get your Legioss vs. Alpha point. The point I'm trying to make is I'm seeing Toynami ones that aren't in Robotech-labelled boxes.

Thought they were Toynami and Aoshima.

It's confusing because the Aoshima product has the Toynami stamp on it and is very similar to the Toynami MPC but they are different enough that they should be thought of as two different products. Anything that looks like a Toynami MPC in a non-Robotech box is actually an Aoshima Legioss. For more on the differences visit my post here.

Aoshima%20Legioss%20Fighters%202.jpg

I'm seeing Toynami Alpha's on eBay for around $60-70, but only one Robotech one for $160.

Well, in the last 2 or 3 months I tracked almost all toynami blue alphas being auctioned/sold on eBay (yes, an ebay freak I am).

Their final prices were:

$173 - $135 - $202 - $255 - $187 - $195 - $232 - $250 - $169 - $130

So, we can say that on an average a blue MPC can cost around $193.

Edited by mar_ku

Thats wonderful. It says 1/55 on the box.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the pilot is not precisely scaled and is only roughly scaled to the toy its meant to occupy. The size of the generally dependent on the size they leave in the cockpit as the overall dimensions of the toy are more important. For example, the 1/60 pilot figure for the VF-1 toys are not consistent with the 1/60 pilot figure for a PG Gundam kit. However, both robots are in the proper 1/60. The pilot figure is really just an afterthought in most cases.