Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

The Stick is the 1/12 kit and the Legioss is the 1/48 kit. Both are non-variable.

I wish I knew where that prototype were now (if not ground to plastic atoms long ago).

Imagine if Toynami's original Ride-armor had been based on THIS design. YAR!

Edited by Alex

A thruster. ;)

The 1/8's thrusters were always pointing up. Hate that. All the thrust would force them down.

Stick- "Ok. Now to fire this thing WHUP!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ray- Ew?

Edited by Alex

Which is quite disappointing. This supposed prototype looks to be far better than the 1/8. It even has complete and detailed verniers (an important and sadly neglected area on the 1/8.

Could it be that they thought this version would be too costly/delicate/impractical to mass-produce?

Yes but it also essentially looks like the rider could never even come close to interacting with teh bike in bike mode. I'm also guessing they had issues with certain parts being too small and would potentially break. It looks like every single product on that page is a prototype. The 1/35 ended up having a bronzed canopy in the production model.

Gakken%20Large%20Legioss%20small%2056.jpg

Edited by jenius

I guess we can dream of the 1/8 that could have been.

Interesting though, why what eventually became the 1/8 gakken was so drastically simplified. Could they have at least kept the chest design from this ride armor?

(Wow. I'm bitching over a 20-plus year old toy)

Edited by Alex

I wonder why they didn't have a Shadow Fighter Alpha in that display. I didn't see anything that would qualify as new on the RT side there though. They did have art up that seemed to confirm that Ariel will be on the Shadow Beta's box.

I guess we can dream of the 1/8 that could have been.

Interesting though, why what eventually became the 1/8 gakken was so drastically simplified. Could they have at least kept the chest design from this ride armor?

(Wow. I'm bitching over a 20-plus year old toy)

If you look close, the cycle is a seperate model from the Ride Armor. Neither are transforming as there are no mechanisms or seams where the pieces should come together. In the pictures below you can see that there were also Legioss models made, those are also non-transforming.

My personal opinion is that these are models that the animators used for reference while animating. I'm sure they were given to Gakken to help them visualize the toys and models, but in the end they chose a different look for the large Ride Armor toy; I'm sure because it needed to be more functional.

The Legioss though, seems to have directly inspired those awful little 1/55 3-mode toys :p

legproto1.JPG

legproto2.JPG

legproto3.JPG

legproto4.JPG

gakkencomicad.JPG

gakkengraffitiad.JPG

The new Beta/Tread Fighter bombers look awesome!! You wonder if the Alpha/Legioss fighters in front are the old piles of junk or new mfg'ed? Either way looks great!

Why would you wonder about those Alphas? They're the same old pieces of junk just being used to help drum up sells of the Betas (and, from Toynami's perspective, help sell those old Alphas). Toynami just put out an Alpha WORSE than the original ones, they're not going to start suddenly making better Alphas. That ship has sailed, for the MPCs at least. They'll make a much bigger deal if they have a new or improved product rather than just putting it next to a toy with the same color.

Totoro, excellent hypothesis about those seeming toys. You're right, they do look completely non-transformable (the ones we don't recognize at least). I'll bet that's the same deal with that Tread toy we saw that looked roughly 1/35 scale in one of those obscure pictures (since it seemed to match up with that clearly non-transformable Legioss).

Now, why did they put a jolly roger on that Legioss?

Edited by jenius

Anyone who preordered a Beagle/Toynami Cyclone on Robotech.com received a shipping confirmation yet?

There were supposed to ship yesterday, but I still haven't heard anything.

Have heard nothing yet from Robotech.com - I preordered the cyclone and red beta.

I did finally see the combined art for the Beta MPCs of Rand, Annie, Lunk and Marlene and actually liked it.

Don't care for the pic of Scott on the cyclone. They have stolen the nose and mouth from some type of rabbit or sheep or something. Looks anything but fierce.

Now, why did they put a jolly roger on that Legioss?

no decals ready for it. The rest of the decals composes of Area 88 and an upside down UN Spacy kite and decals from other kits. Like Totoro said, preproduction pieces.

no decals ready for it. The rest of the decals composes of Area 88 and an upside down UN Spacy kite and decals from other kits. Like Totoro said, preproduction pieces.

Thats probably part of it. I also heard somewhere that the jolly roger was a sort of tongue-in-cheek poke at the fact that they had to make a transforming fighter because Macross was so popular ;)

They also did the art for some of the boxes, but from the upside down kite I say it was just a filler.

I decided to take off the fabric from the Beagle Stig figure... replaced it with some foam and heat shrink tubes.

I gotta say, taking it apart I understood why they included the fabric... I'm gonna play with my mod some more to see where the compromises are

post-151-1234922881_thumb.jpg

post-151-1234922888_thumb.jpg

I'll take better pictures tomorrow in the sunlight.

I much prefer the effect of the thinner cloth, but this works really well.

I was even considering getting a 1/10 jumpsuit from Volks or somewhere and gving stick a new colour. Just for Gits and Shiggles.

I got a shipped confirmation from Robotech.com for the Ride Armor (with FedEx tracking number), should be here (Seattle) on Friday.

Mine says the 24th. All the stuff I've gotten from there takes forever to arrive from Cali to Mass.

Edited by RavenHawk