25th Anniversary G.I. Joes, Wave II

Mog

My only dilemma is that they probably take up a lot of space being 1:18 scale and all.

They aren't true 1/18 scale though, the F-22 in this line is either 1/32, or very close to it. It is about the same size as the old Skystriker.

i was just curious when they reissue snake eyes and timber, will there be a variant black timber in the mix? or was that a one shot thing? was just curious cause i saw on ebay a listing with a black variant timber but the card was white bordered and even weirder their was yellow variant stalker on a white bordered card....i thought that was a factory screw up? I know the yellow variant stalker ended up with the newer battle packs (mass device if i remember correctly)..... just wondering cause it didn't seem right, i was thinking it was repacked or something

I haven't heard anything on that yet. The ones you saw may have been carefully repacked, I haven't heard of those two variants specifically being reissued.

Not sure if Black timber will be with the Hall of Heroes Snake Eyes, which I suspect is the cartoon battle pack v2 in black with single pack wave 1 head.

I checked out that F22 today. Looks pretty nice. Not sure I like the external wing pylons but I guess opening internal missile bays isn't practical on something at this price point....

Not sure I like the external wing pylons but I guess opening internal missile bays isn't practical on something at this price point....

I would have liked to see gimmicks such as opening internal missle bays, but I'm sure that would have driven up the price. For what we get, we have a bargain. The only comparable toy to this is the G.I. Joe Thunderwing, and that thing is a huge dissapointed compared to the True Heroes F-22.

Motormax Toys has already succeeded out of nowhere with satisfying the joe fan's desires for an F-22. It is unlikely Hasbro will make one anytime soon since there is no F-22 in Resolute, and the only fighter plane I heard of from the movie is the Night Raven, which looks like the classic version. Oh also...I did hear that the RAH Night Raven mold is actually intact, not sure when Hasbro found it, but they do have it back!

Now...if Motormax makes a "joe scale" F-14 Tomcat that can seat 2 figures inside, and be similar in quality to their recently released F-22, we finally have a great Skystriker replacement.

I am simply amazed at how accurate the F-22 is for an affordable joe scale toy, aside from the stabilizers not being angled enough. The quality is great too, as is the detail. No one saw this coming, no one expected it.

I think I'm going to get one. I was 50/50 yesterday, but I'm thinking this is great custom potential. Have any links to some good guides online for painting a realistic low viz scheme? Or anything you might recommend? I'm tossing the idea of getting out my dremel and trying to fab up a custom weapons bay and opening door... maybe i'll get 2 and completely dissect one...

I think I'm going to get one. I was 50/50 yesterday, but I'm thinking this is great custom potential. Have any links to some good guides online for painting a realistic low viz scheme? Or anything you might recommend? I'm tossing the idea of getting out my dremel and trying to fab up a custom weapons bay and opening door... maybe i'll get 2 and completely dissect one...

Haven't found any yet. I tried to find painting guides last night but couldn't find any on low viz schemes. I did read on another forum, that if you are going to handle a model/toy, it is best to paint it with enamel instead of acrylic paint. The thing is, I hate the fumes and chemicals from enamels. Can anyone here recommend good acrylics and coats to use?

I also wonder how well waterslide decals would adhere to this toy, and what kind of coating I would need to prevent any kind of scratches. Also, for painting something like this, could good results be achieved solely by using the brush to paint? I know a lot of people use airbrushes, but those are expensive.

If you want the actual F-22 paint scheme, here's how to do it, hope you're skilled with an airbrush: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...ting/tnt151.htm

For painting---my fave is Pollyscale *railroad* paints. Not only the best acrylic, but the best paint period IMHO. The military line is different though, or at least has been since Testors took it over. You won't find "F-15 grey" in the railroad line, but you will find plenty of shades of grey to choose from.

For painting---my fave is Pollyscale *railroad* paints. Not only the best acrylic, but the best paint period IMHO. The military line is different though, or at least has been since Testors took it over. You won't find "F-15 grey" in the railroad line, but you will find plenty of shades of grey to choose from.

Do you use brush or airbrush? Also any tips on how to get started with customizing the F-22 toy?

I *rarely* airbrush--and haven't airbrushed Pollyscale. Pollyscale is the best IMHO because of how it hand-brushes. However, there's no way I'd hand-brush something THAT big. For, frankly, a big cheap toy (as opposed to a big expensive toy), I'd just get a can of generic grey spraypaint and go at it. Or, spend a bit more and get some of Tamiya's spray paint---their spray is the best by far. And they sell many "authentic US jet camo colors" in their spray line. (surprisingly, they don't have those colors in their regular line---while Testors has those colors in the regular line but not for sprays)

I *rarely* airbrush--and haven't airbrushed Pollyscale. Pollyscale is the best IMHO because of how it hand-brushes. However, there's no way I'd hand-brush something THAT big. For, frankly, a big cheap toy (as opposed to a big expensive toy), I'd just get a can of generic grey spraypaint and go at it. Or, spend a bit more and get some of Tamiya's spray paint---their spray is the best by far. And they sell many "authentic US jet camo colors" in their spray line. (surprisingly, they don't have those colors in their regular line---while Testors has those colors in the regular line but not for sprays)

Would I have to apply primer or wash the surface first to make the paint stick better? I've never painted a toy before, so I am very new at this. I may actually go for a high viz scheme(and eventually buy more to do low viz).

Would I have to apply primer or wash the surface first to make the paint stick better? I've never painted a toy before, so I am very new at this. I may actually go for a high viz scheme(and eventually buy more to do low viz).

I would reccomend priming the surface (IMO white primer if painting white, grey primer for any other color), and then lightly sand it. It will make the paint go on much easier, and black is a PIA to cover up with a lighter color. Also you make want to sand down the area of the landing gear doors a bit. A coat of primer, then 1-2 coats of paint, and a sealer will make them rub and difficult to close.

I have already painted up one of those F-22s into Skystriker colors. It was basically a testbed for my next F-22 re-paint which will be a Low-Viz or yet another Skystriker scheme. I just used generic Krylon Primer, and some Krylon Fusion White and Fusion Black. The only parts that rub are the gear doors (which I already know what I will do to fix that next time in addition to the sanding).

If this really is your first project I would just go with either Krylon paints or the generic Wal-Mart brand. Then if you decide to do another after learning some of the issues like I did, and then possibly upgrade to Tamiya or Testors spray paints. But to be honest unless Krylon doesn't have the color you want I would not bother with expensive model paints for something like the F-22.

On a side note I gotta say this is the best G.I. Joe compatable vehicles to come out in over 10 years IMO. Yes the bbi stuff is nice (and I have both the F-18 and F-16), but for relative realism and playability the F-22 is where it's at. I plan to buy at least 5-6 more and have a whole squadron of them in various paint schemes.

Edited by Evil Porkchop

I finally broke down and bought wave 9 (I think) Hawk. (the one with the bomber jacket) Who designed this thing? So many of his joints have the best range of motion of any figures in the line, and then his elbows are worse than Duke's.

BTW, if you're going to paint with spray cans, Fusion is the first paint you should be looking at. If you end up painting with model spray paints, I'd suggest following them up with a good brand clear coat, that isn't a model paint. I've had trouble in the past with model enamel paints getting gummy, after being handled too much. Just make sure to paint a scrap piece of something, so you can test whatever clear coat you buy. You shouldn't need to prime, but I'd recomend lightly sanding the whole thing, with a super fine grit paper, and wiping it down with a bit of isopropyl alchohol, before painting.

Well, I finally got myself an X-30 (after.. oh, about 18 years since I first saw it). Lucked out, and the target I walked into yesterday had a full stack of them. Went back later, and they added a Rattler, but figured one toy I don't have room for is enough for now (still organizing my new place, and need to find room for my old Crusader Shuttle and Hurricane before I buy any more :lol:).

I think I'm going to grab at least one of those Raptors though... that is a thing of beauty, especially for $25. ^_^

Hmmm.. I just unearthed my old shuttle from storage, and found out the plastic has yellowed something fierce (probably from heat, it's been boxed up for years in a garage). Anyone have any recommendations on how to restore it? I've considered giving the whole surface of the body a light sanding to see if it whitens, and even considered stripping it down and painting it, but I'd rather modify it as little as possible (I already went to town on the cockpit instruments with paint markers years ago).

Got my ROCC (rolling operations command center) in the mail today from eBay ... it is HUGE!! Probably the biggest Joe vehicle/playset that I have ever owned. But it looks pretty cool with lots of nifty features. For those who don't know what I am talking about, here's a great review of it:

http://www.joebattlelines.com/reviews/toys/dtc/rocc.htm

DESTRO, the admin at the Tank just gave a tidbit of movie info in the Rock Slide thread:

This movie and the toys are going to OWN! Not since the 80's original launch will we see such a huge selection of figures, vehicles, exclusives and Play-Sets! We are talking 100's of toys!

I expected it to be big, but to read all that was surprising. Not even the gvc relaunch in 2002 was that big!

DESTRO, the admin at the Tank just gave a tidbit of movie info in the Rock Slide thread:

I expected it to be big, but to read all that was surprising. Not even the gvc relaunch in 2002 was that big!

Actually the part that interested me is...

DESTRO is a weapons dealer in the film. Several G.I. Joe Vehicles are built buy his company M.A.R.S.

M.A.R.S. has a massive contract to build weapons for not only the UN, USA Ect... but all sides.

I mean it was always known that he would be an Arms Dealer like he was in the comics but the fact that he designs the Joe's Weapons is interesting... lots of angles they can play on that.

Anyway I hope the movie and toyline lives up to the Hype... I'm not one of those "oh it's movie toys skip it"... actually with Transformers I am I only want one movie prime for my Prime collection and that's it (and I havn't decided which one yet)

I mean it was always known that he would be an Arms Dealer like he was in the comics but the fact that he designs the Joe's Weapons is interesting... lots of angles they can play on that.

True. I am itching to see the gunships/hovercopter transports, and the Night Raven. BTW...I wonder if it is a new Night Raven(the movie one is said to be highly reminiscent of the original), or just the old one retooled to fit the anniversary figures(found out not too long ago that Hasbro has the vintage Night Raven mold intact...not sure when it was found).

True. I am itching to see the gunships/hovercopter transports, and the Night Raven. BTW...I wonder if it is a new Night Raven(the movie one is said to be highly reminiscent of the original), or just the old one retooled to fit the anniversary figures(found out not too long ago that Hasbro has the vintage Night Raven mold intact...not sure when it was found).

Well if they found the original they will probably just re-tool it I don't see why they wouldn't.

But yeah... I hope they do something with Destro having designed the Joe's weapons... wether it's a Shadow Chronicles style Trojan Horse, or him ordering his troops to fire on a structural weakness only he knows about or some way that comes back to bite them in the but.

One of the most disapointing things about my favorite Video game franchise Sakura Wars was that even though the main villain of the first game desgined the Robots the good guys use it didn't really come up or wasn't that important (because it was established later in secondary canon and only got incorporated into primary canon with the manga)... it would have been cool he could have easily disabled them all cause he designed them.... but no go there.

anyway back to GI Joe... I want Night Raven toys!

More info from DESTRO

Whats not to love about a new Night Raven or a New 2 Seat SHARC?

The Baroness looks good, has some great weapons and a kick ass SUV. It hard to explain but the Armor is "Special" and will be involved in a nice downtown/city battle

We get to see 2 Destro's with 2 different "Mask" styles.

There is a 1 on 1 Sword Battle with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow that's 10 minutes long and while they are fighting a security type of system is trying to kill them with lasers.

You get to see the PIT and "Other Joes" who do not have roles are training in the background. How many original figures do you think they can pull from that background?

The Black Uniforms that everybody keeps talking about......... NOT IN THE FILM 100% Of THE TIME. How many times does this need to be explained. Everybody just has those Images stuck in their head.

Its a back story to most of the major players including Zartan, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Duke, The Baroness, Destro and Cobra Commander!

3 Major Battles with Vehicles and assaults on bases. Land Sea and Air........

What more can we ask for from Paramount and Hasbro?

How about 175 million to make it work................

Hey Shin what is the deal with Hiss Tank and other fan sites? I'm a member of couple them and lurk at some others.

Is this thing true?

http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/index.p...c=2865.msg23310

A few other sites express their displeasure. Plus I heard negative things about Hisstank before.

Hisstank has a rule about advertising for sites that aren't sponsors, but the mods there seem to have trouble distinguishing between blatant advertising, and simply recomending a site to other Joe collectors. I'm honestly surprised that they don't complain about all the discussions on Marauder's weapons, since I don't think Marauder Inc sponsors Hisstank. I'veseen it in a lot of threads, where somebody's having trouble finding an item in stores or on line, and some one will will recomend Entertainment Earth. They can't actually link to EE, due to "rule 19."

I wonder if it's in Canadian Toys R' Us stores... and that makes me wonder. you say in the review that it's 1/32 (or so), I have never even considered looking at 1/32 scale vehicles for GI Joes... I just assumed they'd never work and look silly.

I guess on a bigger item like armour or a plane it matters less and less as you get bigger. But have you ever picked up any other 1/32 items that are 25th Compatible?

I guess on a bigger item like armour or a plane it matters less and less as you get bigger.

It is mainly because there is more space for a figure to sit within. I heard that the Skystriker was actually 1/32 as well.

I have never even considered looking at 1/32 scale vehicles for GI Joes... I just assumed they'd never work and look silly.

Most of the ones out right now would, and wouldn't work unless you modified them. WWII warbirds are out of the question.

I wonder if it's in Canadian Toys R' Us stores.

It should be, they merged with the American TRU recently.

But have you ever picked up any other 1/32 items that are 25th Compatible?

Nope. See if a company like Hasbro or Motormax makes a vehicle that is made for joes to sit in, but made in a smaller scale, I don't mind. That is one of the reasons I like the True Heroes F-22 so much, over the Thunderwing. The Thunderwing was made for joes to sit in, with scale thrown out the window, and it shows.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Color me shocked. My local wally-world finally stocked new comic packs. They're not the latest wave, but still newer than Storm Shadow/Battle Damaged Snake Eyes that's still hanging on the pegs. Of course, I've long since bought the two from this wave I wanted, but I picked up a second Nemesis Enforcer/Falcon pack, for kitbashig. There was a black head Destro pack sitting right out in front. I left it for somebody who actually wants it, since I have no interest in Iron Grenadier anything.