25th Anniversary G.I. Joes, Wave II

Mog

Aother question about Night Ravens----a concern about the main gear doors---from pics, it appears that the "correct" position is for them to be open about 45 degrees when the gear is down. A lot of ones on Ebay don't (they seem to be fully closed, or that they "flop down" instead of holding in place)---is that usually because of a broken piece, a mis-alignment, or the gear is just being "fiddly"? Perfectly working gear is a big thing to me. If it's broken piece that causes that, is it part of the internal mechanism (hard to fix I imagine), or the gear door itself (easy to replace)?

That's correct Dave, looking at my 'Ravens, the rear wheels' door should be pushed out at about a 45 degree angle when the wheels are down. The front gear door is almost parallel to the strut. If the doors "fall down" it's because they're missing a piece that the wheels push onto and thus lock into place when they go up. I could see the gear doors being loose when they come down, but personally I'd find that acceptable. Judging by what I see on Ebay I guess I lucked out on my birds...

Thanks much for the info Myk. Man, prices from early July through now are all over the place for Night Ravens, I can't tell what the going price is. (I don't want to pay too much, but I will pay a bit extra for proof of perfectly working gear and 100% complete ones---I know from experience that completing something that's nearly complete is always a lot more expensive than you think it'll be)

Here's another thing I've noticed "researching" the Night Raven---the prototypes seemed to have a cooler bomb bay. Check out the original commercial:

The bomb bay has hinged doors that open automatically when the rack is lowered. The production versions just have fixed doors mounted to the bottom of the rack.

I've always found it ironic that the bomb bay has missiles, and the missile pods have bombs, and that its weaponry is entirely air-to-ground. Are there any missiles from other Joe vehicles that fit the Night Raven? I'd love to actually arm it for self-defense.

OT question--can someone identify the arms used in the quasi-official 25th Techno-Viper? (and if the chest equipment is hacked-up Para-Viper stuff or something else) I've thought about making a custom, and have been looking at the various other ones already done. Though the helmet is an issue---don't want to use an original one, and I frankly don't like the modern interpretation from BrokenArrow.

Those arms are off of battle armored Cobra Commander. No idea about the chest gear. That cylinder doesn't look like either of the tanks on the Paraviper's back, to me.

I've always found it ironic that the bomb bay has missiles, and the missile pods have bombs, and that its weaponry is entirely air-to-ground. Are there any missiles from other Joe vehicles that fit the Night Raven? I'd love to actually arm it for self-defense.

Well, the only external hard points the 'Raven has is for those missile/bomb pod things so any air-to-air sex appeal would have to be customized.

Btw, what are you looking for in a "complete" Raven? Fighter, driver, file card, blue prints, box, etc? Christ, I saw an X-19 MISB going for a thousand, or something...

Just the plane. Instructions and blueprints are nice, but not necessary. Nearly every complete or nearly so one comes with a Strato-Viper, but I actually don't need/want one. Though actually I'm wondering if I should buy an X-19 instead. No matter how much I may have liked a toy, I almost never think a "re-bought" toy from childhood is as good as I remember. The X-19 would be something actually new and different to me. And I think 25th figs fit the X-19 well without cutting.

Of course, that's all countered by the original Night Raven simply being THE coolest Joe toy ever. Not just good, but the best. IMHO.

FYI, TRU is having a sale on the True Heroes toys. It's a buy 2 get 1 free sale. It's not a bad deal if you want to buy a F-22 jet and maybe the helicopter. Then you can have a free one.

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/corp/07220...9798RE-35SX0-v1

The sale is only for today Wed. July 22nd.

BTW, they are currently running a sale this week on the Rise of Cobra figures. 2 for $9.99 I believe. The Alpha class vehicles(the smaller ones) are on sale for $13.99 IIRC.

SDCC 2009 Day 2 G.I. Joe Booth HIGH RES Update

And up close look at Charbroil, the new movie SHARC(which in the movie seats 2 people, but on the 2, just 1 and man it looks small...turns out this was the prototype small vehicle we frontpaged at HISSTank months ago), Tiger Claw or whatever it's called with Leatherneck and more.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

• 4 weeks later...

I grabbed a few of the Joe Pit Commandos for the Steel Brigade helmets they have. Needed them to help my work on making a 25th style version of my childhood original Steel Brigade mail away. Basically done but it needs a repaint and maybe a new head. Also picked up the Hawk, honestly just because he comes with a decent H&K SL-8. Really not impressed with the ROC line except some of the repaints which in essence doesn't count. Lots of good bits for customs though.

A handful of the figures for next year have me interested. We'll see how that goes.

@Mog: You don't like the ROC line? While I don't like everything, and some stuff is CRAP (e.g., PITT base), there are some nice figures in the line. Shipwreck, Sgt. Stone, Reactive armor Scarlett, and Cobra eel are decent. Still looking for a PITT Commando though ... Edited by Vermillion21

I'm sure some of them are okay.

But I can think of a massive number of other figures most folks would rather get before getting ROC-themed Joes and Cobras:

* Low-Light

* Techno-Viper

* Covergirl

* Jinx

* Footloose

* Dial-Tone (both the old school one and the Resolute one)

* Lifeline

* Airtight

* Zandar

* Zarana

* Female version of the Strato-Viper

* Crazylegs

* Fast Draw

* Law and Order

* Spearhead and Max

* Gung-Ho (in Marine Dress Blues)

* Hydro-Viper

* Ghostrider

* Road Pig

* Astro-Viper

* SAW Viper

* Kwinn

And I'm sure there's a whole heap of others I haven't even mentioned yet.

Of course, they can also do the later release versions of Snake Eyes, Stalker, Rock n' Roll, Storm Shadow (second Joe version), and a mess of others.

I'd just like Hasbro to show a little more "love" towards the old-school collectors. And the recent news coming out of the latest conventions isn't exactly promising on that front. :(

Even in the 25th line Hasblow got pretty lazy. There's quite a few figures they could have done better even with parts they had already. I'm sure as "collectors" we're supposed to be ecstatic that they're throwing us 25th/OG style scraps with upcoming two packs and all that.

* Covergirl
I like how they used the excuse that they couldn't do a 25th style Covergirl because they didn't want people to get confused because of the movie version. Now I haven't seen the film (and I won't) but from what I hear (avoiding spoilers) she's hardly in it and won't be in any sequel not to mention the movie figure is absolutely hideous.

My only assumption is that they don't want to put forth the effort required to make a good and/or decent Covergirl figure. For the most part their efforts on the females of the line have been lackluster at best so that's understandable. It's a pity because I'd be pretty psyched if she came with a 25th compliant Wolverine. Heck they could just release her with yet another Armadillo and people would probably buy the damn thing.

• 1 month later...

G.I. Joe Rise Of Cobra Wave 5 Released At Retail

Yes this is the wave with Resolute Snake Eyes branded as City Strike Snake Eyes. Not only does it have the accessories planned for Resolute Snake Eyes, it even has additional gear from Arctic Snake Eyes.

So in otherwords it's got a crapload of gear. First sighting was at Kmart of all places(they actually got something new?). Happy hunting!

• 2 months later...

Thanks!

Instead of doing something productive (like doing the laundry or paying the bills), I decided to be lazy today and snap some long-overdue pics.

Managed to get some good close-up shots too!

^^Would have been nice if they added the 25th Anniversary versions too.

It's not like they haven't released three-packed Joes in the past or milked the molds for these main characters.

In any case, less of my complaining and more pics:

COBRA!

post-3595-1262107260_thumb.jpg

YO JOE!!

post-3595-1262107294_thumb.jpg

(Hate what the flash does to Hawk's bomber jacket here. <_< )