25th Anniversary G.I. Joes, Wave II

Mog

I don't know if I'm willing to pay $10-12 for another Viper, especially when most of that cost seems to have gone into additional redundant packaging. The chrome is nice, but might make him stand out too much against the rest of my Viper hordes and I'm not about to get enough over-priced repaints to hide the olders ones. The Hall of Heroes might wind up being a bust except for those who are speculating and maybe a few of the harder to find figures for those who missed them.

Speaking of busts, I finally picked up the Ultimate Battle Pack at Target.... mainly because it was just under $15 on multiple markdowns (previous sticker was $38). Sadly, I already paid $15 for Short-Fuze (even though he's a semi-disappointment... I just need my Original 13!) and have my original 25 year old MOBAT (but now I have a shiny one like Steeler, Clutch, and Breaker sweated to produce for the parade in an early issue :p ), but couldn't pass it, as it has a HISS of a different color, even if that red looks very plastic-like and the extra Cobra drivers are nice. This set must have been a major mistake for Hasbro. Pretty much the only 'new' things were the re-issued MOBAT and a Short-Fuze made from old parts, so its no wonder no one bought it. Strangely enough, one of my favorite parts of this set is the I.G. Destro done up in classic colors... at first I thought, "Meh. Another Destro." but he's grown on me unexpectedly.

I think we still need an officer-quality Steeler. The black visor on his desert-color helmet in the UBP does help (lost the mold to the old binocular-visor of the original?), but Steeler had some spiffy paint apps out of many of the Orig.13. I'd also like to see a Short-Fuze done up in cartoon style with a blue-grey helmet, visor, and no glasses with correct webbing. I might go ahead and put the Doc/glasses head on him anyway because I liked the nerdy comic look, but that would be an excuse to re-release him.

Watching old eps on Youtube, found one that's a goldmine of neat (IMHO) repaints/remold opportunities. "Spell of the Siren". Every female character ever basically. In order of appearance:

Wetsuit Lady Jaye (dark blue)

Wetsuit Baroness (half grey, half red, huge Cobra logo)

Female Cobra lackeys (many)

Covergirl

Female Televiper (never ever knew that existed before)

A silver Firebat

Watching old eps on Youtube, found one that's a goldmine of neat (IMHO) repaints/remold opportunities. "Spell of the Siren". Every female character ever basically. In order of appearance:

Wetsuit Lady Jaye (dark blue)

Wetsuit Baroness (half grey, half red, huge Cobra logo)

Female Cobra lackeys (many)

Covergirl

Female Televiper (never ever knew that existed before)

A silver Firebat

Link? I can only find snippets of the episode. I find it funny that all these women come out of the woodwork for the convenience of the story since we've never seen them before.

Thanks for the link David. I hadn't seen GI-Joe episodes in ages.

You know how you might watch an old TV show as an adult and you think to yourself "why did I ever like this show when I was a kid". But, I actually found myself interested in the story on this. I think I like it becuase the characters are not really 1-dimensional. There were sub-plots and various undertones. For example, the relationship between Baroness and Destro, or Scarlett and Duke.

Hey, another neat repaint possibility---

http://www.joetoonarchive.com/albums/World...nd%202/0042.gif

Worlds Without End, part 2. It's the Baroness outfit, but in blue, worn by one of her personal lackeys/guards. (she has some in that ep)

Of course, we'd need a toon-accurate Baroness mold first. (which we've NEVER gotten, annoyingly)

(interesting that the toon seems to make a lot more female "repaint characters" than male---of course that's probably because there's already a zillion established male characters/model sheets, so they just literally "repaint" the few existing female ones as needed)

Hmmm, I could see using some Pilot Scarlett parts, maybe some Snake Eyes v3 parts (for the lower arms), a Cobra Trooper/Officer helmet, and a few paint apps here and there to make that particular female figure.

.....Unfortunately, I've been putting my focus on making other custom figures:

post-3595-1234620245_thumb.jpg

Considering all the cool figures I've either bought, modified, and/or customized lately, I really should post an updated pic of my main Joe display.

Seems the new figs are in 7-packs:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=14092 Yeah, I'll definitely take the Night Creeper/Strato/Alley Viper/Lamprey/BAT/Mindbender pack. THAT is a pack. (I'd be interested in trading Mindbender for another Strato Viper--or Copperhead! Still looking for a decently-painted Copperhead)

Now if we could only get a female Strato Viper... (hey, they rock--show up several times, and you NEED 2 at a time anyways, so might as well make them look different--you sure can't use different face sculpts) Hmmmn. Maybe Pilot Scarlett+Strato Viper lower legs+harness+helmet....

New Night Raven sucks. Has "gigantic handle" syndrome. http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?dispsize...amp;pic=052.jpg

On a more positive note---armored Scarlett fig: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=vie...600&start=0 (actually I'm thinking Mara Jade custom---or maybe Commander Shepard)

Well.. to be honest, I can deal with the handle a lot better than I can with the design. Please, someone tell me that they didn't make the fuselage into a pump action missile launcher, because that's what it looks like. And, apparently someone's gotten "cool boxy spaceship" mixed up with "fast aircraft." While I know I would've loved this years ago (seriously, 12 missiles? I would've loved to have that much ammo as a kid), I miss the resemblance the original had to an actual aircraft. Whoever decided that "intake lights" were a cool feature needs to get up close and personal to some real jet intakes in operation. <_<

Btw, is it just me, or did someone just.. well, forget the rotor blades on that gunship? I mean, ok, it could be a hovercraft.. but the stub of what could've been a propeller just makes it look like someone decided, "Nah, in the future, helicopters will have invisible propellers." :blink:

Wow. Lots of the GIJoe movie designs are sooooo lame. Very disappointed.

<_<

On a positive note, it looks like I will be saving some $$$ this summer - will only buy a few items from the Joe movie line, and mainly stick with the Modern Era 25th line. And I really dig the 7 fig packs .....

^_^

Wow! That armored Scarlett is packing two huge grenades on her chest! :lol:

I take it there's no way in hell we can keep talk about the movie-line toys out of this particular thread and keep it strictly 25th Anniversary related?

(Even if I threaten to have Fast Draw send violators to an mini-Itano Circus-style death? ^_^ ......)

post-3595-1234685222_thumb.jpg

Wonder why they didn't show all the new 25th figures fully geared up?

The Strato Viper looks tight.

Don't like how the webgear on Outback doesn't match the original.

If packed by himself, Chuckles would have been your pegwarmer of 2009.

Wondering who the hell Altitude is (Though, I could see that body being used for Ripcord too.).

Wondering whether Zap should have a moustache instead.

Genuinely disappointed with Hasbro's "effort" on Wetsuit. C'mon, that's just another Torpedo repaint! Wetsuit had knee-high boots and short-sleeve arms. Stop being so damn lazy with your part choices, Hasbro!!

Bummed that we're not getting a Covergirl yet.

It's there. Which means there's a big boxy part of the plane molded in for it to retract into. Also means it's big and boxy overall because it's full of electronic bits and automated firing mechanisms.

Hasbro is like the opposite of a cell phone company---they need a 3x3in box of electronic gizmos to make 2 tiny lights and beep...

Wow! That armored Scarlett is packing two huge grenades on her chest! :lol:

Wondering who the hell Altitude is (Though, I could see that body being used for Ripcord too.).

Wondering whether Zap should have a moustache instead.

Genuinely disappointed with Hasbro's "effort" on Wetsuit. C'mon, that's just another Torpedo repaint! Wetsuit had knee-high boots and short-sleeve arms. Stop being so damn lazy with your part choices, Hasbro!!

Bummed that we're not getting a Covergirl yet.

Altitude IS Ripcord. I guess they felt they couldn't give him his proper name, since the movie version of Stalker has usurped it.

I'm also dissapointed in Wetsuit. He needs siegie or Viper lower legs and feet, and TF Flint's arms would have made a lot more sense than the green shirt arms.

I'm thinking I might get some of the armored movie Joes just to kitbash into some of my techno-organic beasties. Shouldn't take much more than a little Apoxie Sculpt, and some paint.

Today picked up 2x F-22A jets from the True Heroes line in ToysRUs for $24.99 each ! The jet is actually very scale-accurate to 1/32, which is very large already. The displayed figures in the picture are 1/35 WWII figurines, but the cockpit easily fits all Joe figures.

All this jet needs is a good repaint and some scratchbuild, and then it would not be a mere toy but a very nice large scale model.

DSCN3255.jpg

Why can't Ripcord be named Ripcord. We know he's Ripcord. Not this Altitude guy. Are people gonna get confused there are Ripcords and one isn't a Wayans? The 7 Packs are clearly designed for the old school fans. Give Ripcord his name back.

nice but aren't gi joes 1/18 scale?

Yes, but I can't name a Joe vehicle that is actually 1:18 scale in the first place.

The other thing about the True Heroes F-22 are the external missile hard points. Is that actually a version that is out there, or is that just the toy company taking a creative license to it? That was my problem with it, and the reason why I passed on it.