Whats Lying on your Workbench MKIII

HWR MKII

HWR, that's a beautifully detailed cockpit on the SU-27... it looks so real.

Here is another update on my F-91 (the valkyrie on the background is the yammie 60 scale 1A):

F91MGProgress6.jpg

F91MGProgress7.jpg

While applying those damm rub-on decals on the rear right binder I accidentally tore off a really nice strip of paint, oh well :( Still got to fix that, and start working on the weapons. My custom paint scheme didn't turn out quite the way I envisioned it, but I like it thus far!

Edited by Ghost Train

Thanks gents! The bases are resin purchased from http://www.back2base-ix.com/

He's an Australian guy, so hurrah for decent postage. He makes LOTS of different styles and sizes. I think the ones in the pics are "rubble" or "ruins". I've also bought some matching ones for my dreads and terminators.

It should still be worth checking out for the US/UK guys out there, because the Aussie dollar is terrible right now. The bases in the pic should work out around US$0.40 each or so.

Wow! HWK MKII - all those aftermarket parts, it looks amazing, can't wait to see what you do with it! Is gotta be one of my favourite aircrafts (next to the F-14 of course!) - just wish there was a decent kit (with aftermarket stuff) in 1/72 scale... someday...

Please post progress, the instruments are looking great! Can't wait to see more!

Wow! HWK MKII - all those aftermarket parts, it looks amazing, can't wait to see what you do with it! Is gotta be one of my favourite aircrafts (next to the F-14 of course!) - just wish there was a decent kit (with aftermarket stuff) in 1/72 scale... someday...

Please post progress, the instruments are looking great! Can't wait to see more!

There i. Te Airfix 1/72 flanker is one of the best out there in the scale and there are plenty of aftermarket goodies for it. Just hunt around.

Nice work on the figs Cowie. Just for you I'll bring some minis along if I manage to get to the Con in May.

:p

Cheers Berttt. Let me know if you need a place to crash.

HWR great Baneblade mate. The weathering is coming along well.

There i. Te Airfix 1/72 flanker is one of the best out there in the scale and there are plenty of aftermarket goodies for it. Just hunt around.

Hmm... so the Airfix is good eh? I never knew that (I'm a Japanese snob, love Tamiya & Hasegawa - shun away from Revel & Monogram). So is this a new tooling? Does it have engraved detailing? Its so hard to find 1/72 scale aftermarket stuff in North America, the selection is like 1/5 of 1/48 and 1/10 of 1/32... boo... Any good photos and reviews of this kit?

Great looking Bane HWR, I like the mud and grime alot... it's much more conservative than my Mecharius. The only thing is you did just like everyone else who builds the plastic Bane and left the mold lines on the track sides :(

Well i hate to burst your bubble but something that big in reality would have mold lines on its track they would be cast metal. Real tanks today have them. Im not dome weathering it yet either. I work in layers too remember. Theres yet another layer of mud and dirt to go .

Edited by HWR MKII

Well i hate to burst your bubble but something that big in reality would have mold lines on its track they would be cast metal. Real tanks today have them. Im not dome weathering it yet either. I work in layers too remember. Theres yet another layer of mud and dirt to go .

In reality you're right... I think the biggest thing is that just like on say, a Panther kit with 'real' casting marks on some parts, we're so tuned as model builders to assume mold lines are meant to be removed...

In reality you're right... I think the biggest thing is that just like on say, a Panther kit with 'real' casting marks on some parts, we're so tuned as model builders to assume mold lines are meant to be removed...

I remember that. Mainly on the road wheel suspension arms on the king tiger and panther. The are supposed to be there. Dunno when ill actually finish this. I took alot of stuff from my hobby room and stored it so i just have a few projects at hand instead of alot. I want to finish off a few things.

Mate we're all friends here. Go easy with people. If you just wanted a doggie treat and a pat on the head for your hard work, please just say so.

My VF-22 hit a bit of a snag the other night. I applied a wash, but my Future coat was either too thin, OR I'd added too much surfactant as it'd etched and stained the Future.

I placed the thing in a large zippered bag and stripped it with Castro Super Clean. The down side is the Super Clean softened the Aves mounts I'd made for the vertical stabilizers - I'd expected that - and I'm rebuilding them. Again, I'm going with something that looks more "real" than the kit offerings and this time they'll be seamlessly mountable after final weathering's completed. Thanks to John Lester and Terry for that suggestion originally.

Back to the bench we go. :D

Kenny

Kenny

I feel your pain Kenny! Getting back on the horse takes a whole lot of drive! I remember I botched the colours on a MiG 1.44 and had to strip it back... then mask it for four different colours again...

Take 5, then reattack! :D

I didn't glue this together yet, but I KNOW somebody out there is going to want one of these:

post-2518-1232184446_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1232184460_thumb.jpg

HLJ has these http://www.hlj.com/product/ADNANE-0147 or these http://www.hlj.com/product/ADNANX-007 The latter one with the muzzles. I found these looking for detail parts and just had to get one! The muzzle is 13mm diameter and if you want matching ammo, there are companies who make 1/35th 40mm ammo that will go nicely with this. - MT

Holy crap! Adler's Nest has increased their catalog again!

I just wish I could buy direct. They do some amazing machining.

I just wish I could buy direct. They do some amazing machining.

I think I'd go broke if I could buy direct from AN... I just installed a turned metal gun barrel and camera eye and shoulder spikes to my MG Zaku II ver 2 and am preparing to paint... the parts are gorgeous and fit perfectly.

My VF-22 hit a bit of a snag the other night. I applied a wash, but my Future coat was either too thin, OR I'd added too much surfactant as it'd etched and stained the Future.

I placed the thing in a large zippered bag and stripped it with Castro Super Clean. The down side is the Super Clean softened the Aves mounts I'd made for the vertical stabilizers - I'd expected that - and I'm rebuilding them. Again, I'm going with something that looks more "real" than the kit offerings and this time they'll be seamlessly mountable after final weathering's completed. Thanks to John Lester and Terry for that suggestion originally.

Kenny

Thats a bummer Kenny, but have no fear you've some serious skills there, your VF-22 will look even better than before when its all done! In the world of making model kits, we've all done something similar to that before (At least 4 times for me, I ruined my 1/48 Super Hornet twice before fully finishing it!!)

Keep us posted with pics!! B))

additional work done on the SD-GP03EX over the weekend (previous work was here):

i modded the rear fins to make them longer and added side skirt armor:

th_DSC00118.jpg

the extension for the side armor came from the 1/144 (not HGUC) spare fins as well as the side skirts:

th_DSC00354.jpg

i cut up the lower portion of the 1/144 rear fin and sawed it to fit the smaller rear fin of the SD:

th_DSC00119.jpg

then i sawed off the pin mounts for the side skirts from the torso of the 1/144 version, sawed a portion off the SD version's side (where the fixed side skirt should be) and superglued the pin mount of the 1/144 side skirt:

th_DSC00120.jpg

next up would be added leg details, front and rear skirts extension, and hopefully arm lengthening too. here is a mock up of the front skirts, Blu-Tacked them in place first:

th_DSC00117.jpg

the rear fins bother me a bit in that i feel they are too slender or too long. i think i may try to widen it a bit and shorten it's length. :) but please feel free to comment and suggest as usual. and thank you for looking! :D

When you have lots of spare parts and are bored, you come up with something like this!! Actually from one of my many Anime stories I've been working on over the years, this was a concept from some time ago. Finally decided to make a model to sketch from. Its in a rough stage right now. Far more detailing and styrene is needed, but for now what it is!! A converted Nimitz class carrier for space deployment. All critic and thumbs up are welcomed!!

Hey it worked for the Space Battleship Yamato!! B))

post-6180-1232393800_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1232393846_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1232393877_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1232393910_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1232393936_thumb.jpg

When you have lots of spare parts and are bored, you come up with something like this!! Actually from one of my many Anime stories I've been working on over the years, this was a concept from some time ago. Finally decided to make a model to sketch from. Its in a rough stage right now. Far more detailing and styrene is needed, but for now what it is!! A converted Nimitz class carrier for space deployment. All critic and thumbs up are welcomed!!

Hey it worked for the Space Battleship Yamato!! B))

GASP! Those are FAST Pack boosters!

505thAirborne, That is AWESOME!!! Great work and very creative! Makes me want to kitbash too.

Awesome, Thanks Miriya!! I'm slowly learning how to use/cut Styrene so eventually these boosters will be well disguised. And a repaint as well!! B))