Whats Lying on your Workbench MKIII

HWR MKII

Looking good VF-19!! I was going to go with a mufti gray finish, but the more I looked at the Moebius instruction sheet that unpainted Aluminum-Steel finish won me over, follow by a dark gray wash, panel lining, decals then aged. I love this kit and the detail, I will definitely get one or 2 more. One with the Bays retracted in and another from the Finale. Enjoy!! B))

post-6180-129220353667_thumb.jpg

Edited by 505thAirborne

Looking good VF-19!! I was going to go with a mufti gray finish, but the more I looked at the Moebius instruction sheet that unpainted Aluminum-Steel finish won me over, follow by a dark gray wash, panel lining, decals then aged. I love this kit and the detail, I will definitely get one or 2 more. One with the Bays retracted in and another from the Finale. Enjoy!! B))

Great build, 505! Congrats!

More progress pictures of the Galactica. The lighter grey is tough to show photographically, as I'm trying to go for subtle, but a bit of underexposure helps, to make it more obvious. Thank goodness, I wrote down the Tamiya colour codes on the instruction manual...

I'm still wondering why I'm doing this, and then I watch the liberation of New Caprica... You know, the hot drop!

post-122-129221194699_thumb.jpg post-122-129221196597_thumb.jpg post-122-129221197937_thumb.jpg post-122-12922119286_thumb.jpg

Oh and 505, I tried having the bays retracted, and they don't fit in the pod openings on the side of the ship. You can get them 3/4 of the way in, but some surgery will be needed to get them to properly tuck in. Oh, and how beat up are you planning to have the Galactica? Post-final jump (aka Battlestars don't bend that way!), or pre-Cylon colony assault (aka Bring it ON!)? Also, you may want to consider paling the colours, as the ship would have colour fading all over it, due to solar exposure.

Edited by VF-19

More progress pictures of the Galactica. The lighter grey is tough to show photographically, as I'm trying to go for subtle, but a bit of underexposure helps, to make it more obvious. Thank goodness, I wrote down the Tamiya colour codes on the instruction manual...

I'm still wondering why I'm doing this, and then I watch the liberation of New Caprica... You know, the hot drop!

post-122-129221194699_thumb.jpg post-122-129221196597_thumb.jpg post-122-129221197937_thumb.jpg post-122-12922119286_thumb.jpg

Oh and 505, I tried having the bays retracted, and they don't fit in the pod openings on the side of the ship. You can get them 3/4 of the way in, but some surgery will be needed to get them to properly tuck in. Oh, and how beat up are you planning to have the Galactica? Post-final jump (aka Battlestars don't bend that way!), or pre-Cylon colony assault (aka Bring it ON!)? Also, you may want to consider paling the colours, as the ship would have colour fading all over it, due to solar exposure.

I saw that right away, even though I thought I had read somewhere that the landing bays could be built retracted. quite a bit of plastic would need to be removed in order for that to happen but shouldn't be to difficult. ("Measure twice & cut once") If I do another Galactica with the bays retracted I might do it with a little bit of wear & tear to it and I liked your suggestion of solar exposure, but a 3rd version would be right after Galactica's final jump where she breaks her back. When I saw the finale I thought if I they ever make a model kit I am building it like that!!

Just curious has anyone seen in person the Battlestar Pegasus Resin Kit (about 19 inches long)? Wondering if its worth getting or just wait and see if Moebius makes one!

Anyone else working on BSG kits?? B))

I saw that right away, even though I thought I had read somewhere that the landing bays could be built retracted. quite a bit of plastic would need to be removed in order for that to happen but shouldn't be to difficult. ("Measure twice & cut once") If I do another Galactica with the bays retracted I might do it with a little bit of wear & tear to it and I liked your suggestion of solar exposure, but a 3rd version would be right after Galactica's final jump where she breaks her back. When I saw the finale I thought if I they ever make a model kit I am building it like that!!

Just curious has anyone seen in person the Battlestar Pegasus Resin Kit (about 19 inches long)? Wondering if its worth getting or just wait and see if Moebius makes one!

Anyone else working on BSG kits?? B))

You might want to consider weathering Galactica based on the results of the LDEF experiment the shuttle did in the mid 80s-1990. It was a schoolbus sized cylinder that was left in orbit, and then brought back to see how different materials handled space exposure. LDEF photos Might give you some ideas. To be honest, though, I'm not sure how you would do solar exposure, as most of the show takes place in deep space, away from a serious source of light.

A Pegasus, in scale with Galactica, would be awesome. On a serious note, how big would that be, anyways?

Oh and on culttvman's website, the Viper MK 7 is up for pre-order. Comes sometime in 2011. I recall seeing at Cylon Centurion (new type) in the works too...

I would imagine it's almost certainly this kit: http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/italeri/036preview.htm

Italeri and raised panel lines... yuck! It looks like recessed panel lines though... Any good new toolings of this bird around?

Yup, it's the Hobby Boss kit. Details are very good, and it's very affordable. Some may consider the lack of full intake tunnels a weakness, but you really have to go in there with a flashlight to notice it. I think the decals could be better and will look for a replacement set.

There's a detailed review at arcforums

Thanks guys! I'm always looking for new-toolings of sleek looking modern combat aircraft. Gotta keep that note the next time I'm at a hobby store. Do post some more pictures when you've got it finished!

Thanks guys! I'm always looking for new-toolings of sleek looking modern combat aircraft. Gotta keep that note the next time I'm at a hobby store. Do post some more pictures when you've got it finished!

I've got a Fujimi 1/72 Joint Strike Fatty Type B kinda done... I'm waiting for a UMSC F/A-18 decal set for it before I finish it up.

3I14.jpg

I've written a detailed summary at swanny's models.

Good kit, though it has some issues... most of which are really annoying but hardly showstoppers.

Edited by Noyhauser

I've got a Fujimi 1/72 Joint Strike Fatty Type B kinda done... I'm waiting for a UMSC F/A-18 decal set for it before I finish it up.

Good kit, though it has some issues... most of which are really annoying but hardly showstoppers.

Love that low-vis paint job! I wanted to attempt to Tamiya/Italeri X-35 for a while, but I heard the kit quality sucked.

I've been working myself on a Franken-Falcon :D .

f-16wip3.jpg

f-16wip2.jpg

f-16wip1.jpg

Canards removed, they looked weird, maybe next F-16. Still have some sensors / probes to attach, and then moving on to weapons. Also decided to build this one wheels-up.

These new F-16's sure have a lot of "stuff" attached, it's amazing they even get off the ground with that huge avionics spine, dual CFT's and ordinance.

f-16wip4.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train

I have been fortunate enough for my wife to have given me the VF25S Armored Messiah kit! I have been drooling over this kit for a very long time! A weekend off for New Years is just what I need to dive in! :D

Here's Priss Asagiri's hardsuit from Bubblegum Crisis by Aoshima at 1/12 scale. The kit is pretty close to the anime proportions.

The 1/15 Yamato figure is for comparison.(Yamato's coloring is a bit greener and more metallic)

Note: This kit is fairly challenging to finish correctly due to the way Aoshima had the arms and legs attached. There is no way to assemble each limb first and attach them at the end. Everything has to be assembled at once so it is a pain painting and masking the different areas.

post-7534-12939235605_thumb.jpegpost-7534-129392357075_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-129392358385_thumb.jpegpost-7534-129392360771_thumb.jpeg

Next is her red Motoroid motorcycle.

My 1:48 FineMolds X-Wing is done! here are some pics! I am really proud of the way this came out! My first real model after about a 15 year break! I used large color print outs of eFX's Red Five Studio Scale replica as a painting, weathering and decal guide. Can't decide if I like the stand or not. Might just just a "flight-pose stand" Valk stand instead....sorry about some of the pics...haven't played with my camera enough!!

post-11393-129401304664_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401305353_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401306289_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401307692_thumb.jpg

post-11393-12940130932_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401310025_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401310827_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401311489_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401312187_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401312836_thumb.jpg

post-11393-12940131431_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129401315051_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Here's Priss Asagiri's hardsuit from Bubblegum Crisis by Aoshima at 1/12 scale. The kit is pretty close to the anime proportions.

Not bad.

A lot better than the floppy Yamato figure that falls apart every time I walk past the cabinet. What colour did you use for the blue please?

Edited by thegunny

Not bad.

A lot better than the floppy Yamato figure that falls apart every time I walk past the cabinet. What colour did you use for the blue please?

The metallic blue is Tamiya TS-19. This blue is close to colors for the the BGC Tokyo 2040 Priss hardsuit.

I would apply a base coat of Model Master stainless steel next time to give it a more metallic and lighter finish which is closer to the original Priss hardsuit from the first Bubblegum Crisis series.

Great work guys!

Derex, that X-Wing looks fantastic. A nice comeback after a long break! Is the kit a nice build? I've only heard good things about it. It looks like it has some really nice proportions.

Great work guys!

Derex, that X-Wing looks fantastic. A nice comeback after a long break! Is the kit a nice build? I've only heard good things about it. It looks like it has some really nice proportions.

I have to say, YES! this Finemolds kit was probably the best model I have ever built. It all goes together very well. Couple of tricky steps, as I had to skip around for painting purposes and the instructions are in Japanese, but the pictures are good. Everything either snaps firmly or screws into place. You don't have to use much glue at all. I didn't. Only on a few steps here and there. This kit isn't cheap, but I highly recommend it. The decals are also very, very good. I had to trim just a tiny bit off of a few, and a couple were hard to get off the backing, but all in all, laid down with decal set they look amazing. The sticker sheet I used only for the two tiny rebel emblems on Luke's helmet as the decals just didn't adhere to that white paint I used. You do have to cut the stickers out if you wanna use them, they are not pre-cut. Weathering was done with a combination of Pro-Modeler's Dark Dirt Wash for panel lines and the "Snow, Soot, and Rust" Tamiya Weathering Kit. This was my first time using this stuff and can I just say OH MY GOD! where has this stuff been all my life??? :o

I only wish Finemolds made a whole line of Star Wars ships in 1:48 scale, I would attempt them all! Do they or did they make a Falcon????

Edited by derex3592

They make a Falcon in 1/72 and 1/144. I think you can get both over at starshipmodeler.com

The 1/72 line has quite a few models and all are supposed to be great kits.

I think they have a 1/48 snowspeeder, and a 1/48 TIE is in the works, but I don't know if it has been released yet. Well, welcome back to the world of scale models, but watch out for a shrinking wallet!

They make a Falcon in 1/72 and 1/144. I think you can get both over at starshipmodeler.com

The 1/72 line has quite a few models and all are supposed to be great kits.

I think they have a 1/48 snowspeeder, and a 1/48 TIE is in the works, but I don't know if it has been released yet. Well, welcome back to the world of scale models, but watch out for a shrinking wallet!

Just picked up the 1:48 Finemolds Tie Fighter from starshipmodeler.com! The 1:72 scale Falcon seems hard to come by. HLJ has some, but it would be well over $200 by the time I got it to the states...no thanks! And something like 900 parts??? :wacko::blink:

Edited by derex3592

Good to see everyone busy with their kits & projects, looking good!! B))

Just picked up a third BSG MKII Viper. This one will be a Low Vis. US Navy type scheme and the landing gear down. Not sure if I'll have time but a diorama with grounds crew might happen as well. Also my budby at Smith Brothers Hobbies said the MK VII Viper will be another month or so and the idea of a Cylon Raider is doubtful. But I still have my fingers crossed for one!

They are doing a Cylon Raider. They had the proto up on Cultman not too long ago.

I'm surprised I missed that, (Got to wrapped up with the MK VII release) thanks for the heads up Mechleader. I'll definitely be looking forward to getting a Raider!! :D

Happy New Year Everyone,

Here's a small update on a project I began several months ago. It has its own thread in the anime/sci-fi section, but I thought I'd show some progress here, as well.

Blocking out the tire/wheel for Jim's jeep (Mospeada).

post-4655-12945959703_thumb.jpg