Whats Lying on your Workbench MKIII

HWR MKII

Yes, I believe I saw your build, which is why I tried mixing up some using Citadel's purple wash on your suggestion---and I learned that their purple wash isn't the same as their purple ink, and the ink is no longer available. And food color had about the worst result of all, trying to make purple. Red/orange/yellow/green work fine as food color+future, but not red+blue.

David I found gaianotes purple very good, don't have pics right now , but you can buy the paint in www.luckymodel.com

Link of the clear colors line:

http://gaianotes.com/products/gaia-color_clear.html

They also sell a premium paint called Premium Series, only 2 colors at these moment premium blue and premium red, both are clear , maybe those work for you.

Here is the link: http://gaianotes.com/products/gaia-color_premium.html

I use google chrome for translation jeje

Edited by joscasle

i got the time to get a little ways further along on my 2010-reissue 1/1000 U.S.S. EXCELSIOR refit recently.

i'm NOT a good modeler, so please be gentle;

NCC-1701-BJohn5-4-111.jpg

NCC-1701-BJohn5-4-112.jpg

i still have some detail work to do, and i've got to clean up some of that nasty uneven line work.

i also need to pick up some decal lacquer the next time i'm in town, so to speak,

so i can begin decal placement.

perhaps i'll be almost finished by sometime next month.

then i can order up that sheet of custom EXCELSIOR decals and finish things off with the EXCELSIOR-specific markings...

Edited by Shaorin

There seems to be a resurgence of all things Trek, perhaps it was the movie combo'd with Star Trek Online. Still got some touch-up work on my Enterprise refit, but it's coming along nicely. Here Admiral Saber is inspecting her Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser Refit:

enterprisewip7.jpg

enterprisewip8.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train

David I found gaianotes purple very good, don't have pics right now , but you can buy the paint in www.luckymodel.com

Thank you for the suggestion, I will order their purple the next time I order from Lucky Model.

At least your model will remain warm next winter Z0mBe!

I brought this out of storage on the request of my son. I buyilt it over a decade ago. We've been watching Mospeada lately and got the Mospeada bug! In fact, I just bought the Eta and Jota 1/48 and 1/12 Stick/Rey transformable models. Oh yeah, and an Aoshima Legios and MPC TREAD (I'm doing surgery on it later). Yes, I ACTUALLY bought "TOYS!"

post-2518-1240083098_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1240083108_thumb.jpg[atta

chment=65944:Gurab_Lower_View.JPG]post-2518-1240083132_thumb.jpg

I heard a glass shattering sound and it was this all over the floor in pieces! So it's fixed butt has more chips than a poker hall! I would HEAVILY upgrade and sell this as a kit, but I don't want to get sued by someone in particular. I have a half done 1/48th version that is 100% better than this. - MT

I know this is a really old post, but do you still have that inbit mech in 1/48 scale lying around?

It's not on my workbench anymore (well, at least from last weekend), but this is as good as place as any to share.

post-12411-0-12248500-1305017955_thumb.jpgpost-12411-0-99372900-1305017968_thumb.jpgpost-12411-0-04989200-1305017987_thumb.jpgpost-12411-0-72481500-1305018005_thumb.jpg

Fine Molds 1/72 scale Y-Wing. Got to take a break from Macross once and a while.

just finished adding final detail work to my vintage VF-1 HCM;

1-60vII-1-72HCM5-15-11.jpg

as you can see, the head laser turrets are now their proper white tone,

and the shoulder floodlight/sensor modules have a touch of TAMIYA CLEAR ORANGE

to match the look of the Yammie 1/60v.II...

Edited by Shaorin

Up to bat

post-12411-0-16430100-1305545748_thumb.jpg

Warming up on deck

post-12411-0-27786400-1305545771_thumb.jpg

Waiting on the bench

post-12411-0-07064400-1305545800_thumb.jpg

Why yes, I have been watching NPB lately (Go Fighters!). Why do you ask?

And, apropos of nothing, RAINBOWS, plus the only 2 Gundam kits I've ever built

post-12411-0-62925200-1305545870_thumb.jpg

Up to bat

post-12411-0-16430100-1305545748_thumb.jpg

Warming up on deck

post-12411-0-27786400-1305545771_thumb.jpg

Waiting on the bench

post-12411-0-07064400-1305545800_thumb.jpg

Why yes, I have been watching NPB lately (Go Fighters!). Why do you ask?

And, apropos of nothing, RAINBOWS, plus the only 2 Gundam kits I've ever built

post-12411-0-62925200-1305545870_thumb.jpg

Looking at your first picture, you are working on a J model, what Valk you will build Max,Miria or mass?

Looking at your first picture, you are working on a J model, what Valk you will build Max,Miria or mass?

Actually, I'm making a non-cannon A/J (the A head is there between the chest piece and the J head). I'm just gonna swap out the heads when I get bored with one of them.

I kind of want to keep it a surprise, but if you've got "This Is Animation Special:Macross Plus", the one I'm building is in the end part. That's the only clue I'm giving! :D

That's a great looking airwing you've built there Noyhauser! Lots of great detail for 1/72 scale and the finishes are fantastic! :o

You did an especially great job on the bare-metal jobs. My hats off to you for those! I'd love to hear some tips about the methods and materials you use for them if you find the time.

If you don't mind, could you tell me what kits you used for the Sabres? They look fantastic and I just love the lines of that plane! ;)

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing them with us!

Finishing up my Imai/Bandai 1/100 Destroid Tomahawk model kit for my 1/100 Destroid Shootout comparison on CollectionDX.

Out of the box but I used photoetche screen for the huge vents on the back and heel to improve the look.

After this I have the Arii Spartan to finish. Also working on the 1/100 Arii/Bandai VF-1D variable kit but I will do my first custom Valkyrie paint job using the Destroying Falcons alternate decals.

Cheers!

Leonardo

post-8650-0-72172700-1306261769_thumb.jpg

post-8650-0-79793300-1306261778_thumb.jpg

That's a great looking airwing you've built there Noyhauser! Lots of great detail for 1/72 scale and the finishes are fantastic! :o

You did an especially great job on the bare-metal jobs. My hats off to you for those! I'd love to hear some tips about the methods and materials you use for them if you find the time.

Thanks Jardann!

Okay well I've been experimenting with new techniques concerning metal finishes. Typically I use Alclad, sprayed over a black base. I'm starting to use the black base for all NMF models because it basically allows for a type of panel shading where you can fill in the main sections and leave a darker edge, which works our really well if its done right....I don't have a great photo of the effect. This build does it really well..

As for the different panel shades, there are two different approaches. One is to use different alclad shades. For the MkV Sabre, chrome was used for the body, and the blueish tint I think is stainless steel. First I put the panel color down, then masked it...

20322efc.jpg

And voila.

4B9.jpg

There are all different types combinations. For "distressed" look alclad have a product called dull aluminum... which after you buff it with a very fine polish (like tamiya's) it gives a really nice effect. The new technique someone suggested is a craft "rub and buff" product which I apply with a old brush. It gives a really worn look like where people have been stepping on the surface... you can see on the top of the Canberra's wings, engine nacelles and a few panels on the fuselage... its also how I did the P-51H after it.

4B21.jpg

4B32.jpg

A key part of weathering a Natural metal bird is the oil wash. Usually "worn" panels see alot of oil and grime accumulate. A good oil wash also helps to change a plane's tint, which gives a nice effect. Things that are particularly apparent are oil leaks and fuel spills. You can kinda see it in the wings the mk IV I'm working on.

4B4.jpg

Finally a word about finishing coats. Its really depends on the paint effect you're aiming for. On the duller Mk IV, I used floquil flat coat, which went better with the worn look I already had. Newer, shinier finishes should have a higher gloss, but straight future is too much. So I add a bit of Tamiya's flat base to my future and spray it on. I can't give a precise amount (I do it according to my airbrush cup) but I'd hazard to say that 10% of volume is about right. Most of the semi glosses take too much gloss off... and this approach just takes a slight bit of shine off which gives a nice effect.

4B3.jpg

If you don't mind, could you tell me what kits you used for the Sabres? They look fantastic and I just love the lines of that plane! ;)

As for the two kits, the Mk IV is an older Heller kit. Its surprisingly well done except that its got raised panel lines which needs rescribing when you're neurotic like me. The other is a Fujimi kit, which apparently was reboxed by testors. Absolutely great kit; gorgeous detail and really nice fit... however its got some shape issues (particularly along the nose.) Its only noticeable when you put it beside the Heller kit, which seems a slight bit sleeker.

Hope that helps...

Edited by Noyhauser

Thanks for all the tips and info. And the great pics! Those are certainly some beauties! I'm going to have to take some time and try the Alclad stuff. Don't know if I can get the surface prep good enough for it, but I'll never know until I try! :p Good to hear about the kits too. I always appreciate knowing about some older kits that still have great potential.

Nice Grayson! One of my all-time favorite planes and you've got it looking excellent. How was the build with the Hasegawa kit? My LHS just got the new Trumpeter 1/32 Skyhawk in and I was soooo tempted to pick it up, but I didn't really have the funds ($124) available that day.

The Hasegawa was a nice kit but had raised panel lines which is annoying. The cockpit was only so so but you could get an aftermarket kit. The Trumpeter is like $120, I got this for $30 but the decals disintegrated when I tried to apply them.