Whats Lying on your Workbench MKIII

HWR MKII

The Hunter Killer Tank is awesome although it's a bit too clean.

There's not much happens on my table. Only a hover tank and a lot of mess.

th_WatashiNoKareWaPiloto.jpg

Edited by TSP

Thats because the Hunter Killer tank isnt done yet. Still making a display base for it. Not good to weather and dirty something with no set ground color. Also they really didnt get that dirty in the movie. James Cameron wanted them gleaming almost all the time.

Here's the Gradius III Vic Viper by Atelier Sai. It's possibly one of the worse kits I've dealt with in the past few years, parts don't fit, etc and to cap it all off, last night I noticed a small scratch in the canopy. After a bit of polishing, it snapped along the 'scratch', which wasn't a scratch at all, but a stress line. I'm really annoyed, I don't want to pay for a new one, not sure what I will do.

I wanted this to look pretty mean, hence the custom decals, although I think the large Gradius III is a bit overdone.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by PetarB

Looks great Petar. The colour scheme looks particularly good - the decals offset the tan very nicely. Pardon the silly question, but what anime is it? Crusher Joe or something like that? Where is the kit from?

How good are you at vacforming? If you can scratch 1/72 rebel pilots, vacforming will be a cup of tea.

Thanks for the kind words. Its actually from the Gradius III video game, although the basic design has been featured recently the 'Sky Girls' anime, which I've yet to see. There are many variations of the basic design, but this was the only one I was really interested in. Im going to take a crack at my own canopy sometime this weekend, amongst other projects....

Hey PetarB you did a very nice job on V². Looks like the details on the new parts are a lot finer than on the Sky Girls Viper. Very well done. Although so many of these kits have been sold you hardly find any of them build up. I'm grateful for any pictures of the Vic Vipers not coming from Atelier Sai.

Sorry to hear about the broken canopy but I think you'll find some way to replace it. You won't believe me but in a few month you'll find yourself hunting down another one. Just to prove that you can do this a whole lot better. By the way the Sky girls Anime suck. If your not a Lolicon or a die hard Gradius fan then this will be an eye sour.

I will have a test shot of this on my bench come monday. Starship modeler will have it in their store when it is fully ready.

MetalGear-1.jpg

Heres a pic of all the parts in the kit. 71 Parts total.

DSC02444.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Hey PetarB, the Vic Viper looks great! I really like the low-vis star on the port side. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with the kit though. I have one in the stash and was looking forward to it. I got it for a good price though so it won't be bad to put a little work into it.

Sean, your kit is looking fantastic! I have to say that I've been watching your posts about it and, while I was always hoping for your success with it, I've kept telling myself that it isn't really my thing, and I should just stay away from it and save the cash. Seeing the pic you just put up and the look of the parts is beginning to tempt me though. I'll be keeping a closer eye on it and can't wait to see your example. It looks like you have outdone yourself! I hope it will be very popular for you.

Keep up the great work everyone! :lol:

Soo, any hints on the price for the Rex kit?

I know how much it will be but that is not necessarily what SSM will charge so it would be best to wait for them to post its availability. It will not be that expensive though B))

Academy 1/100 F-14A "Valkyrie Experiment"

Ok this one was just for fun. My sister bought a few kits for me last Christmas and I decided to have a crack at the little Tomcat. I'm pretty sure it is a reboxed AFV Club kit.

Decals were from the spares box, in a custom Mac Zero scheme for an F-14 test/R&D aircraft. Gunpod from the Bandai 1/100 VF-1. I scratched some GRU-7s with black and yellow handles, but skipped over the other micro detail stuff, like brake lines, MV lenses, and drooped horizontal stabs - it was really just to practice the TPS how-to from VFA-103guy at ARC http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=109516

I also tried out a few of the photo tips some of the guys suggested after the 1/100 Regult Scout.

The Good

It's a Tomcat

Parts fit was ok, except for the canopy.

Poseable wings

The Bad

No cockpit detail

Heavy panel lines on the nose

The nose looked too short. I filled in a few vertical panel lines and tried a paint scheme that made it look longer, kinda like a vertically striped shirt makes you look taller.

The kit is made to have the AIM-9s fitted underneath. Without them, there are lots of holes you can't fill easily. They also let a little dust creep inside the cockpit. Grrr.

The Ugly

Canopy fit

Masking the canopy was a pita. It turned out real nasty, as you can see in the front-on pic. Bring on 1/72 scale.

post-3555-1224305015_thumb.jpg post-3555-1224304428_thumb.jpg post-3555-1224305391_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1224305417_thumb.jpg post-3555-1224305514_thumb.jpg

Edited by cowie165

Mark, the Tomcat looks great. It will add nice variety to your 1/100 Macross collection. I really like the pic next to the VF-1.

The GU-11 looks pretty mean slung under the Tomcat.

Have you made any start on that factory kit yet? :ph34r:

Edited by jardann

I know how much it will be but that is not necessarily what SSM will charge so it would be best to wait for them to post its availability. It will not be that expensive though B))

Hey MK have you ever PMed Graham and suggested a bigger or closer linkage to SSM?

They are a great website, a bit self centered, but full of good people and modelers. I think it could be beneficial for both sites if there was more interaction between them. We have many things in common after all...

Edited by 007-vf1

Thanks for the kind words guys. I didn't intend to use black decals; I had planned on using a low-vis set from the Hase decal #3 (the set with UN MARINE/UN NAVY/etc.) Underneath the Tomcat I was able to use UN NAVY decals, which turned out quite cool, but when I applied them to the fuselage they were too good a colour match for the FS36231 or whatever the intermediate colour is, and they completely disappeared! The original kite decal is actually sitting underneath the black one.

It really was a lot of fun. The Tactical Paint Scheme was fun to try, plus the dark grey Mac Zero markings afterwards. Weathering was fun and turned out (I think) just about right for 1/100. With small scales it's easy to go overboard. The darn canopy was just a crummy fit that was very tough to mask.

@PetarB: Yep, here is about the only place I'd ever post pictures, considering that sci-fi decals on a Tomcat is IPMS blasphemy! :) hehe

@Berttt: I'm actually going to give it a miss. After checking out the pics from the Wave site, it really does seem like a Bandai 1/100 with some extra panel lines. I have one more 1/100 jet left to go, as a TV early Hikaru, and I think that'll be it for jets in 1/100. What about you mate? Is 1/100 done and dusted for you?

@jardann: Cheers Bill! I'm undecided on what to do next - but having a go at the factory is a really good idea you know. Then I'd have a dio background for photos and it'd display nicely on my shelf now that I have a few models to go in it.

Sorry about the long post

That's a nice and crisp recast MK; congrats...

WTF !?!?!? Recast. I mastered it and had it cast by another MW member myself. Recast is for when you copy something that has already been prodeced using the kit parts as a master. THIS my friend is ORIGINAL!

100_4317.jpg

100_4318.jpg

100_4319.jpg

100_4321.jpg

100_4322.jpg

100_4324.jpg

100_4325.jpg

I took a quick look at the lineart and the head of the Rex seems a tad small, especially compared to the "body", but I think there's some inconsistency in the sketches, too. IMO the railgun and the "radar" should be closer to the body, the support beams look a little weak.

I hope you will give your kit the full weathering treatment.