Whats Lying on your Workbench MKIII

HWR MKII

Here it is temp assembled. As it is i wil probably finish sometime early tomorrow afternoon

Like the details added to the ATST. Somehow, these things remind me of the Regult Tactical Pods. ^_^

Well, whatever it is, the "tank" looks great so far! What's on my bench (besides the Daedalus):

Speaking of 1/144, I thought this would be of help to someone. I just got my stuff from HLJ today. Some cool tidbits:

post-2518-1221494917_thumb.jpg

The polycap set is from Fujimi and has tons of parts for EVERY scale on it. Note the coins for comparison. This is a comprehensive set of polycaps and for a few bucks too! It says "1/144" but that's overly generalized.

The Kotobukiya parts are gatling gun muzzles - note coins for size again. Both are musts for scratch builders! Every size you'll probably need for gatlings.

The brass barrels are AWESOME from Pit Road. I've got the 1/200 Yamato from Nichimo (52" long) and these are night and day compared to the low detailed stock barrels in the kit. I just need some 75-88mm 1/32 scale brass ammo and I'll be armed up for the BIG 18"-46mm main guns. I love HLJ. I should buy stock in them :lol: - MT

Wow MT, the Pit Road barrels look great! They're pretty pricey, right? I have a few Kotobukiya sprues too - so handy to have a few extra burner nozzles for only a few bucks! :)

Is Yamato coming after Daedalus is finished, or are you flip-flopping between the two?

Hey Cowie. The barrels aren't bad really. About $92 (US) right now. The average tank barrel is about $10 so these are a good deal (9 pcs). BIG, heavy and a lot of brass.

The Kotobukiya guys have it down. My complaint, where were they in the 80's ^_^.

The Yamato is for when I finish the Daedalus; deadline is Aug 09 - I think I can, I think I can... - MT

A few more updates...

I made a little cardboard canopy (after I stupidly ruined my canopy and I am currently still looking for a replacement - I hope I won't have to buy another model just for the canopy part!) to help protect the delicate cockpit details while I handle the plane to paint.

First was the grey coats, then I airbrushed some ModelMaster Semi-gloss to do an oil wash for the panel details and I did some initial weathering with the excess oil wash too. Once I liked it, I sealed it in with the Future (first time future user - after everything I keep hearing about it, didn't go on as smooth as I hoped, but it was ok, it was mainly used because I didn't want the decals to silver against a dark background especially when the final finish will be flat).

I went to town on the decals - I love the Academy decals, the cartograph printed ones are fantastic (maybe a tad on the think side - but durable) and the carrier film was so close to the image that I didn't really need to trim - there wasn't really any excess to trim anyways - plus I love tons of data stenciling! Once that was done, I sealed it in again with future, and lastly I clear-coated it with ModelMaster flat now for the weathering stage. I plan on lightening the entire plane up with a lighter grey in leading edge areas to bring out some details with a tiny bit of post-shading and some streaking. I love all the decals for the missles too!

(I found that the Tamiya equivalent paints seem to be a little on the dark side, the grey decals don't show up on the lighter grey paints as well as I thought they should - its "really" low-viz now)

Thats it for now...

post-244-1221588189_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588196_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588204_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588211_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588218_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588226_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588233_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588241_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588257_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221588279_thumb.jpg

Amazing MechTech first an RC Daedalus then you are going to build and I guess custom detail the giant Yamato.

You must have a big house and not plan to move. :lol:

Finished with the future, decals, future, and then some mud and rust.

Still needs a black wash and dull coat.

The photo is too dark plus and it may not be seen on the finished model but I like how the grease seal and rail for the turret turned out.

post-3784-1221619059_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1221619076_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1221619095_thumb.jpg

Thanks Fly-4. I'm building foam lined crates!

Mustang - I guess every cloud does have a silver lining - Gundam Ole' school goodness.

HWR - I was wondering when you were going to release that thing! - MT

Got a good chunk done last night and today... my favourite parts, final detailing, weather, washes and touch-ups!

I re-masked the cockpit area to re-paint the surround/seal gunship grey instead of the black I previously had (as per some very helpful suggestions!) although I don't think I can repaint the seat cushions black un-less I remove the seat and probably re-paint the belts as well.

I tried something new in weathering this time, I didn't go the post-shading route I usually do (mostly because its more appropriate to anime subjects). I instead used the Tamiya weathering chalks and a pencil rub stick (basically a pressed rolled up paper tube) and rubbed areas into the flat clear-coat finish and burnished them to a semi-gloss around heavily used panel lines and access hatches. The semi-gloss effect has a way of darkening the paint so it appears like a post-shading, but when different lights hit it at an angle, it quite realistically reproduces some of the sheen effects I see in the reference photos. I kind of gotten carried away once I started doing this weathering - its a little over done, since most of my photos show they seem to take good care of these planes (unlike navy birds!). But hey, I like it, and its such a small model, it needs some exaggeration to bring it in scale. I finally got to glue in the tail cone which I've been itching to do for weeks! Its too bad that the lighter grey tone seems to be too dark (not enough contrast between the darker grey and light grey as well as the dark grey decal stenciling on the lighter grey paint - oh well, nothing I can do about it now, I had just trusted the Tamiya conversion guide, but unfortunately its not FS colour accurate - but I do love using Tamiya paints, so much easier to clean up!).

I spent most of today detailing up the landing gear bays and structs. I did a large portion of work earlier on, then had to seal them up for the overall spray. I get to install the structs and doors now and add the hydraulic plumbing and brake lines, which I feel adds a lot to something in this scale. Most of it was thoughtfully provided in the Eduard photo-etched kit already, then I added a bunch of scratch build stuff to busy up the gear wells.

Lastly I repaired the PE HUD (again!) - I keep crushing it whenever I turn the plane over to work on it (without a canopy! ARGH!!) I think I've broken every protrusion antenna thingy on this model! So many things have gone wrong with it, its sometimes feeling like an albatross around my neck - close to being a lost cause sometimes.

After the wheels and lights, then its the ordinance, and then it sits for the long wait to see if can get a canopy.

post-244-1221682557_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682567_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682578_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682588_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682597_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682605_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682616_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682633_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682643_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682651_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682663_thumb.jpg

post-244-1221682669_thumb.jpg

Edited by wm cheng

Please pardon my apparent noob-ness, but wtf is "deculture"? Is that a Mac Frontier thing?

I feel stupid for answering this as I asked the same question several months ago but if you have seen Do You Remember Love then you have heard it. My version of DYRL translates it as "unthinkable". Some translate it as impossible. Some sort of ineffiablility. Like holy $hit! or Oh my god! something like that. And also a reference to the Zentraedi's revultion to culture. It does appear sporadically in the macross universe.

I just thought it was insane how he got the detail in that tiny model.

I feel stupid for answering this as I asked the same question several months ago but if you have seen Do You Remember Love then you have heard it. My version of DYRL translates it as "unthinkable". Some translate it as impossible. Some sort of ineffiablility. Like holy $hit! or Oh my god! something like that. And also a reference to the Zentraedi's revultion to culture. It does appear sporadically in the macross universe.

I just thought it was insane how he got the detail in that tiny model.

Ah! As I thought, I am a noob :) I only started watching animego Macross a few months ago - just up to ep29 this morning. DYRL is next! Thanks for that miriya.

For now, I'll just use a slight lisp and shout "INCONCEIVABLE!" :D lol

Ah! As I thought, I am a noob :) I only started watching animego Macross a few months ago - just up to ep29 this morning. DYRL is next! Thanks for that miriya.

For now, I'll just use a slight lisp and shout "INCONCEIVABLE!" :D lol

you aren't by chance a thithilian are ya? never get in a battle of wits with a thithilian!

Some awesome work all around from everyone.

That bird in particular looks fantastic WMCheng, but the canopy... I would be feeling pretty sore about that right now, as I imagine you are. I hope you can get a replacement for it without too much drama. I got a canopy replacement for my VF-0D from HLJ in about 3 weeks, and it only took me another 6 months to actually put it on!

Hopefully I can contribute to this thread more meaningfully this weekend. Got a GradiusIII a week ago and have been chipping away at it.

Yep, I'm pretty sore about it, it was such a stupid move on my part too! totally my fault... ARGH... This has been the model from hell... don't know why though - maybe I've lost it, or am just too distracted.

So what do you guys think of the YMT-05 as the base launch vehicle for the Atmospheric Booster launch rail? The first time I saw that kit years ago it hit me as a substitute for the booster launch vehicle. I know it isn't canon... and thats been holding me back (plus the $100+ price tag, not a cheap kit).

Yep, I'm pretty sore about it, it was such a stupid move on my part too! totally my fault... ARGH... This has been the model from hell... don't know why though - maybe I've lost it, or am just too distracted.

So what do you guys think of the YMT-05 as the base launch vehicle for the Atmospheric Booster launch rail? The first time I saw that kit years ago it hit me as a substitute for the booster launch vehicle. I know it isn't canon... and thats been holding me back (plus the $100+ price tag, not a cheap kit).

WM... If that Falcon is 1/72, I might be able to provide a replacement canopy. It would be from an older Hasegawa kit...

Let me know if you are interested.

-Adam

So what do you guys think of the YMT-05 as the base launch vehicle for the Atmospheric Booster launch rail?

That is a very interesting idea.

The folding scoop "arms" could be used a the launch rail by removing the buckets and some modification.

The pictures don't show it very well, can see it a little on the 16 Sept post, but there is a large dozer blade that could be used for the jet blast shield.

Just remove the Dark gray head, cannon, and the Zaku arms.

Something like this?

post-3784-1221924797_thumb.jpg

Please pardon my rude interruption of the interesting discussions about machines. :lol:

A very little more progress on Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. I have the mouths painted well enough to assemble. I'll shade the teeth better later.

Godzilla's tongue had no tissue under it, so I added some. What do you think? His teeth details are so soft, but I don't know if I will bother to try improve it. Any suggestions for how to do that?

post-6299-1221970415_thumb.jpgpost-6299-1221970422_thumb.jpgpost-6299-1221970429_thumb.jpgpost-6299-1221970434_thumb.jpg

Looks great. Changing the gab after painting is a bit of troublesome. If it weren't painted yet I would recommend to grind out the denture area. Make pivot tooths out of left over Polystyrene runners and stick them into a with Milliput sculpted teethridge.

The only idea I have to extend teeth on already painted ones is by using viscous CA Glue. You can use a tooth pick to put a small drop of ca glue on top of the teeth.