Gundam Plamodel Thread III

Yeah, the ones from 0080. I eventually got a Rick Dom II later as well. Of course now new HGs are like older MG quality so I'm sure I'd be more impressed by current releases. Still loved most the basic look/feel of the designs though.

Ditto. I liked the old 1988 1/100 RX-93 Nu-Gundam a lot; and for some reason, I still prefer it over the MG kit.

Time for some Q&A:

What was your very first Gundam model kit?

These two back in the early 80's. I was a wee little kid back then. But I remember that each one came with a packet of mysterious yellow glue.

A42_Z1.jpg

P4290013_thumb.jpg

Time for some Q&A:

Back when I was in high school in 1993, I went into a toy store and saw that they had some dusty Gundam kit boxes on a shelf. I didn't know what a Gundam was at the time, but I thought they looked cool; so I picked up a 1/144 HG Zeta Gundam for roughly US$6. In retrospect, the kit is flawed for having inaccurate wing designs (as they were based on the ZetaPlus kit from Gundam Sentinel), but it got me hooked on Gunpla for the rest of the 1990s.

Pretty sure my first ones were the 1/144 regular Heavyarms and then I know I had the the 1/144 "HG" Heavyarms Custom and Gundam Nataku from Wing/Endless Waltz. That was my first real exposure to Gundam in the mid '90s when Wing was on TV and you could find Gundam kits and figures in Toys R Us and other stores. That's where it started for me, still have a strong soft spot for the Heavyarms Custom. I hope they do a better version someday (yeah right).

Not long after that I found GundamStoreAndMore online and started buying MG kits. I know for sure the RX-78[G] and RG-79[G] were my first MG kits.

These two back in the early 80's. I was a wee little kid back then. But I remember that each one came with a packet of mysterious yellow glue.

The only two kits I got from that series were the 1/144 MS-06S Char's Zaku II (because Bandai didn't give Zeon suits equal rights to articulation at the time) and the Core Fighter/Core Booster set. I threw those glue tubes away, as I knew they were rubbish. Still, those kits were a PITA because of their low-tech assembly designs.

Time for some Q&A:

Well, if you mean actually worked on, then it was one of the Endless Waltz Gundams (probably DeathScythe though there were others) that my friend bought and i helped put together.

The first one I bought was one of those 10 dollar "Action Figure Model Kits" from Target around the time Gundam SEED came out. A blue Astray. I didn't take it too seriously, as I was mostly testing the waters with it. So it's half painted a what not. I may give it some TLC one day. I also have a 1/144 Gundam W Mercurious I found at a thrift shop. I might have gotten it first. It's unpainted as well. I got it because Noin piloted it in the Endless Duel game I was playing on emulator at the time.

My first serious attempt at an anime mecha model (I'd long built WWII planes and Star Trek models) wasn't even Gunpla. It was an Aerial type Aestivalis from Nadesico. Completely handpainted. I spent a lot of time on that sucker and essentially learned a lot of different paints and so forth (the orange was a real bitch).

My first real Gundam kit was probably the 1/100 RXF-91. I saw someone do a metallic paint job here and tried my own. It's not as good as it should be, but not bad I suppose.

My most recent are probably my most proud, my MGs. A RX-78-2 that I got for 5 bucks and painted in my own interpretation of G-3 from the Gundam novels I'd been reading. Also completely handpainted. Finally, there's the Mk-II ver2 AEUG I got from AX 06 for 25 bucks. I went all out on this one. Full primer, almost entirely spray painted instead of handpained. Some dual layer effects caused by either happy accidents or some experimenting. It's definitely my finest work thus far. I even picked out colors that best matched what I saw on my DVDs. Hence a dark blue chassis instead of the black it suggested, as well as a blueish hue to the grey part achieved by misting. The only thing I relented on was a more golden yellow (tried three yellows, and that's what worked best, I also handpainted it to save some costs, which helped since I bought so many shades).

I'm currently working on a MG Quebeley, but I've misplaced the spraycans for it. I may need to just start over on it. The purple's a bit dark so far. So i haven't built many, but I'd like to think I've improved with each one. I'd love to get a Zeta or some of the new Unicorn kits.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Time for some Q&A:

1/144 "Bendi" Wing Zero Custom.

(If you want count only Bandai, then I did get the 1/100 High Grade of the same gundam :p.)

I bought the rest of the gundams from Endless Waltz (minus Sandrock) and other small kits from time to time. I stopped buying kits for a while because my parents would (and they still do) repeatedly tell me that they are a waste of money.

If I remember, Nataku was a pretty crappy kit...

Edited by shiroikaze

Here's a good question, what Gundam mechas would you kill to see done in HG/HGUC/MG/PG/etc. etc.?

For me, the list is pretty simple.

1. YMS-16M Xamel. I would kill for a HGUC of this. It's from 0083 so I'm always surprised it gets so little coverage! (there's only an MSIA and a B-Club resin kit)

2. MS-06 Zaku II Gunner. Once the Xamel was made, this would be an easy one to make in HGUC form, since it uses the Xamel's cannon.

3. Of course, if you make the Zaku II Gunner, you gotta have his spotter... MS-06F Zaku II Range Finder Type "God's Eye"

4. MSA-0011[bst] S Gundam Plan 303E "Deep Striker".

And finally,

5. MSZ-006C1[bst] Zeta Plus "Hummingbird".

All in HGUC, though I would certainly accept MGs :D

Here's a good question, what Gundam mechas would you kill to see done in HG/HGUC/MG/PG/etc. etc.?

Easy, HGUC Zeta Plus, Messala, and Gundam Mk.V (from Sentinel).

I can't understand why the first two haven't been done yet actually.

My first Gundam kits were the Wing Gundam and Wing Zero 1/144...got them at walmart to kill time over X-mas with the wife's family. Got addicted and went back for the rest of them. At the time Epyon blew my mind...funny how now it seems like a piece of junk. But the nostalgia factor still remains. However, I took a hiatus from them after the EW 1/100 stuff until Seed came out. Say what you will, but I love Gundam Seed and love the kits and mecha designs even more. For story I'll take UC any day, but design wise Seed is the best series so far in all of Gundam.

Edited by Excillon

My first Gundam kit was a 1/144 Victory Gundam (The one that came with a forest picture card to mount onto the clear pink stand), and odly enough, the last Gundam kit I built was the MG Victory; I guess I've gone full circle... at least until I start on another model.

I'm still waiting for them to someday release Master Grade models of the Geara and Jagd Doga form Char's Counterattack.

Wait in line, I'm still waiting for:

PG Nu

PG Sazabi

PG RX-79G

PG GM

Ah to dream...odds are I'll see a PG Unicorn before any of those. Not that I'll complain all that much. I know it's coming, Bandai is giving a lot of love to the Unicorn it seems. However, I believe every UC series should have at least on PG kit to act as a flagship model.

Wait in line, I'm still waiting for:

PG Nu

PG Sazabi

PG RX-79G

PG GM

Ah to dream...odds are I'll see a PG Unicorn before any of those. Not that I'll complain all that much. I know it's coming, Bandai is giving a lot of love to the Unicorn it seems. However, I believe every UC series should have at least on PG kit to act as a flagship model.

Maybe if they did a PG more often than once in a blue moon then they could get some done.

I don't see them doing a PG GM any time soon, though. But I would buy a PG RX-79[G] for danged sure.

Maybe if they did a PG more often than once in a blue moon then they could get some done.

I don't see them doing a PG GM any time soon, though. But I would buy a PG RX-79[G] for danged sure.

You're not the only one. I'd LOVE one of those. Especially if it came in 1/60 scale or larger.

You're not the only one. I'd LOVE one of those. Especially if it came in 1/60 scale or larger.

RX-79 is my favorite gundam in UC. Followed closely by the Mk.II. Too be honest, I'm shocked G-system didn't do a conversion kit for it. You could use the frame off the RX-78-2. Well, maybe the Mk.II would be better since the weapons backpack would make the kit extremely back heavy, and I don't think the frame for the RX-78 would hold the weight.