Gundam Plamodel Thread III

As far as poseability goes - I don't have many Gundams, but so far here's how they stand up durability wise:

MG Wing Zero: AMAZING! This guy is like a toy figure. You can pose him at will. He'll do it all for you. Joints are tight. Only little problem is getting him to hold his double-barrel blaster in both hands - however, it IS possible...just can't allow even a small gust of wind to hit him when he does it :)

MG Unicorn: Best thing to do is disassemble him, pose each body part seperately, and then put him back together. Due to the transformation that has to take place into Psycho mode, they were compelled to make the body parts easy to remove, but this also means that you should try to pose him without first taking his body apart, because the parts will just fall off if you do.

MG Crossbone: Ace! No problems

MG Turn-A: This is kind of tough. The legs to get a bit wobbly, and sometimes you have to be careful with him. His legs don't rest flat on the ground no matter what you do and his shoulders are annoying, but overall ok.

The HGs I have are all super poseable.

But yeah, in general, Gundam models are delicate and, like Macross, you shouldn't expect to be flailing these about without doing damage to them.

Pete

Anyone here have both MG and PG Zero? I have PG, and am wondering if getting the MG is worth it. On one hand, almost everything I read says the MG is better. On the other hand--I already have a high-end Zero! The money might be better spent on something I don't have at all, like a Zeta Plus or Unicorn. On that note--what are the odds of a 2.0 Zeta Plus?

Really??

How is it possible that the MG Zero is better? I mean, yeah, my MG Zero is great and all - but BETTER than the PG? :)

I've been sitting around for a year regreting that I don't have the PG :) Tell me please, why you are not satisfied with your PG?

Pete

Anyone here have both MG and PG Zero? I have PG, and am wondering if getting the MG is worth it. On one hand, almost everything I read says the MG is better. On the other hand--I already have a high-end Zero! The money might be better spent on something I don't have at all, like a Zeta Plus or Unicorn. On that note--what are the odds of a 2.0 Zeta Plus?

Considering how good the regular Zeta plus MGs are (I have both), I really doubt it. But then again, this is Bandai...

PG Wing Zero actually has simpler wings with fewer moving parts, and less "useful" articulation than MG Zero. A lot of PG's articulation points are like 5 degrees and only add to the parts count rather than posability. And mainly--PG's wings are incredibly heavy due to having so much metal and rubber, and makes it incredibly top-heavy, countering much of the articulation since you have to lock down the screws to prevent it from falling over, and you can only position the wings as "back support".

Some release news (old, new, expected, etc) via Ngee Khiong:

HG 1/144 Virtue Trans-Am Mode - January release, 1,500 Yen.

HG 1/144 Kyrios Trans-Am Mode - January release, 1,500 Yen.

HG 1/144 Dynames Trans-Am Mode - January release, 1,200 Yen.

HG 1/144 Exia Trans-Am Mode - January release, 1,200 Yen.

HG 1/144 Gadessa - Early January release, 1,500 Yen.

HG 1/144 GN Archer - Early January release, 1,200 Yen.

HG 1/144 O Raizer - Late January release, 800 Yen.

HGUC Rezin Schnyder's Customized Geara Doga - Mid January release, 1,800 Yen.

1/100 Cherudim - Late January release, 2,600 Yen.

MG G Fighter Operation V for Gundam Ver. 2.0 - Late January release, 5,600 Yen.

MG Zeta Gundam Ver. 2.0 HD Color Ver. - Late January release, 5,000 Yen. (Limited like the MK IIs)

BB Senshi Sangokuden Rikuson Z Plus - Mid January release, 600 Yen.

UCHG 1/35 E.F.F. Type 61 Tank 5 "Semovente Corps" - Late January release, 9,000 Yen.

It still all depends on if the ornate yellow trim is molded separately somehow, or if it's going to require significant painting skill. (yellow over black cannot be done in one, or even three coats---hand-painting it opaquely and crisply will not be easy)

It still all depends on if the ornate yellow trim is molded separately somehow, or if it's going to require significant painting skill. (yellow over black cannot be done in one, or even three coats---hand-painting it opaquely and crisply will not be easy)

Well, that is how they do it...

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/9894/mghj03oh4.jpg

I do like the look of those "wing boosters" on Sinanju's back.

And i like how the head looks very similar to the Unicorn's undeployed mode.

Here's one from me:

You embarass me with my amateur photos. :(

:blink::wacko:

That's madness....how the heck do you put on those foil stickers.

Very nice Shiyao! That's the new one, isn't it? :) It looks like a flaming Zaku :) Cool.

Pete

Yep that's the one! MG Sinanju.

You embarass me with my amateur photos. :(

Haha that's because I'm shameless. I go all the way up to the glass and stick my camera lens right there! :) Not very considerate, but I try to be quick...

It was between this and Unicorn, but the whole idea of the sliding panels to expose the internal psycho-frame reminds me of sores spontaneously opening up. XD

I highly recommend the Unicorn. The sliding panels work great and the transformation is awesome. The only problem with it is that unlike other Gundams, it is almost impossible to move the arms and legs without having them fall off, since they are made to come off easily in order to transform each particular piece and then be reattached. But once you decide on a pose - he holds the pose solid. Really an excellent peace...Will post some special pictures later to convince you.

Plus - it's all white:) Just like the intention for the very first Gundam before Bandai told Kill Em All and his people to add color :)

Pete

Wait, are there two types of stickers? One set of black to apply over yellow parts, and one set of gold to apply over black? So you can do whichever way you think is better? (based on curves/edges, I'd go for black stickers over yellow)

I was just looking at it wrong, seems there's "gold foil with black printed" stickers, and yellow transfers/stickers/decals (hard to tell). I honestly think my "black stickers over yellow/gold parts" would work the best, for non-painting methods.

Quick snap-together, picked this up at liquidation prices:

Astrae1-1.jpg

Astrae2-1.jpg

Didn't paint completely, was without the use of my airbrush at that time. Drybrushed some minor details like the fins and the red chin, though hardly noticeable. Just paneled with GM. I loved the out of box colors though, it's what Trans-am should have looked like XD.

And pardon the crappy quality of the pic, old camera :( .

Edited by Ghost Train

In the Winter of 1978 Yoshiuki Tomino was camping in the woods when all of a sudden he encountered Chuck Norris dressed in a bear suit. This event became the inspiration for Mobile Suit Gundam.

Is this true?

Pete

Is this true?

Pete

And when Chuck Norris was little he didn't get lone ranger action packed bb gun one christmas. So he spent the next year plotting his revenge on santa. When santa came down the chimney he saw Norris and got round house kicked in the face.

Now Norris takes over the reigns as Santa Clause and gives good lil boys and girls hand guns and bad children round house kicks in the face with only memory of their fathers beating them up. True story heard it from a friend's sister's cousin's aunts old college roomate when I was in one of those third world countries.

Hmm.. well... I still honsetly don't get the Chuck Norris joke trend. I am slowly realizing that this seems to be some mass popculture event... I did notice some Chuck Norris jokes on occasion here and there... but I still don't get it. Personally, I like Chuck Norris, although I've never seen any of his movies, or at least if I did, I don't remember much except that he doesn't shave for any of them and always plays himself, although sometimes he just changes his name, but it's always the same type cast...

But I never would have thought he'd be walking around in bear suit. I can believe that Tomino was camping in the woods in 1978 and encountered Chuck Norris - but in a bear suit?

That part is hard to believe.

I wonder if Chuck Norris builds Gundams? And if so, does he pose them doing various Karate stances, and is he annoyed, when despite the "super poseability" of the Mastergrades, he can't get them into a particular stance?

Pete

Hmm.. well... I still honsetly don't get the Chuck Norris joke trend. I am slowly realizing that this seems to be some mass popculture event... I did notice some Chuck Norris jokes on occasion here and there... but I still don't get it. Personally, I like Chuck Norris, although I've never seen any of his movies, or at least if I did, I don't remember much except that he doesn't shave for any of them and always plays himself, although sometimes he just changes his name, but it's always the same type cast...

But I never would have thought he'd be walking around in bear suit. I can believe that Tomino was camping in the woods in 1978 and encountered Chuck Norris - but in a bear suit?

That part is hard to believe.

I wonder if Chuck Norris builds Gundams? And if so, does he pose them doing various Karate stances, and is he annoyed, when despite the "super poseability" of the Mastergrades, he can't get them into a particular stance?

Pete

I was just kidding, said fateful meeting in the woods probably never took place :rolleyes: . The Norris internet meme is a bit old now, been hearing dumb Chuck Norris jokes for about 3 years now, so thought I decided to make one and put it on my sig. I had other ideas, like: "Shoji Kawamori was once camping in the woods ... <insert ending> " but the bear suit one seem funnier, at least mildly.

Now, to re-rail this thread before the Naz mods get me in trouble, I got some time off coming up soon, so going to start on 1:144 Seravee soon.

Ngee Khiong has 1/100 0-Raiser pics up

And some info:

HG 1/144 GN-X III EF Color Ver. - January release, 1,200 Yen (without tax)

MG Sinanju / Unicorn Ver. Ka Customized Action Display Base 1 - January release, 700 Yen (without tax)

Double 0 + 0-Raiser looks pretty dumb, am I the only one who thinks this? The attachments on the drives look too bulky, and the cockpit in the back looks like all erect-like. Not very streamlined, just overkill.

Spent last weekend working on this:

SeraveeHG_final1.jpg

SeraveeHG_final4.jpg

SeraveeHG_final3.jpg

Wasn't going to paint that much (because I don't believe in wasting that much resources in a HG kit) but had to anyways, the plastic was really swirly on mine. Gave the cockpit block a slightly different color to make it look more like the "gleaming" color as shown in the anime. White parts were repainted with the lightest gray I could find. Gunmental for dark parts.

... And my next project, can't start until January though :(

SeraveeHG_final5.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train

I recently saw F-91 - interesting, but (as everyone points out) just too story-compressed. I'd loved to have known what Tomino would have done with a TV series.

Does the F-91 come with a Cecily? 'cos if it does, you're going to have a bit of a painting challenge. There isn't a pigment in the Universe thats red enough... :)