Gundam Plamodel Thread III

It's Perfect Grade. I barely make a decent Master Grade kit. I have a long way to go before feeling confident enough to get a Perfect Grade kit :)

So - it's naught to do with the Red Frame as a Gundam, but with the fact that he's a PG.

Pete

Bah...I said the same thing, and ended up wasting time on MG's...you just got to jump in! If you've built anything from the Zeta 2.0 forward, you could build a PG. Just remember that the same applies to the MG line as the PG line...earlier kits are easier, later kits are harder/more complex. Basically, start with the RX-78-2 and work your way up. The RX-78-2 is fairly simple compared to the Strike/Wing Zero/Mk.II/Gp01 or Zeta. Try it, then maybe a Zaku or something. Once you do, you'll never go back. Actually, if you really want to start from the beginning, you need to build the EVA 01 PG. It's not hard at all, I've built MG's that were a lot more elaborate than that. Plus, it's a really cool kit still, all these years later. And all they really need for detail is a Gundam marker.

If you still don't want to do PG, then the 1/100 seed kits of the Astray Red, and astray blue 2nd level are worth a look.

Edited by Excillon

PGs are just a matter of time and care (90%) more so than skill (10%). Thats if you give it a decent paintjob and finish. If you want to add special weathering effects and all, you might need to have a lot of experience and skill, but that won't be the case if you just want to give it justice.

Personally, I paint very little if anything on my PG's. I paint little things like thrusters, weapons, etc. but I think they look great as is, unlike some MG's and all HGUC's. I think PG's look perfect the way they are.

That is a nice GM sniper! ^_^ Love the design, shame that most of the GFF models are very small, I am a 1/100 man. :lol:

Here is my 'small' Gundam collection.

Cool collection, what type of White Base is that, is it a model and what scale?

Warning: super-picture-heavy.

I used to built a lot of MG Gundam models. I haven't done any in a few years, though. I'm home for spring break, so I dug a bunch of them out of my closet to take some pics of my favorite ones. I really didn't paint them, I just did panel lines with a Micron pen and smudged it with my thumb or a paper towel. After that, I sprayed with some Testors Dullcote, although I didn't get to do all of them with the Dullcote.

IMG_1276.jpg

This is the only MG that I actually painted. It's a GP03 painted in the Titans colors. I figured, at the end of 0083 that unit was pretty much intact and the Titans wouldn't mind having a Gundam sitting around.

IMG_1277.jpg

The Gelgoog is one of the really, really early kits. Kind of bland, and I actually had to break the cockpit door to get it to fit in the chest. I decided to play around with some battle damage.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

The GM Custom was always one of my favorite MS.

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Warning: super-picture-heavy.

I used to built a lot of MG Gundam models. I haven't done any in a few years, though. I'm home for spring break, so I dug a bunch of them out of my closet to take some pics of my favorite ones. I really didn't paint them, I just did panel lines with a Micron pen and smudged it with my thumb or a paper towel. After that, I sprayed with some Testors Dullcote, although I didn't get to do all of them with the Dullcote.

Dude, those Gundam models need a serious bit of dusting.

Don't worry it will eventually come.

The question is not "if" but rather more of a "when". At this moment I wouldn't expect a Gundam 00 until earliest 4th quarter of 2010 or maybe even 2011.

That's because they might want to do the 1st season Gundams before they start with the 2nd season ones.

Nice Gundams. Dusty, but nice :) They wear well...

Just out of curiosity - how many Mobile Suits (including Zeon) are there? Are there as many different Gundams as there are Transformers?

Pete

Probably not... there's ALOT of different designs, especially if you count MSV stuff, but I don't think that beats entire casts of characters for every different Transformers sub-franchise.

Uh, I'm sure that if you include all of the MSV and side stories and such, Gundam would far eclipse Transformers. Considering that the Giren's Greed games now have something like 200+ units and that's only the OYW to CCA without even every single side story. Throw in the later timeline shows and the AC stuff and you're talking a ton of designs.

you're talking a ton of designs.

That's the feeling I get, just judging from all of the model kits that are out there.

But since I've only seen about 1/3 of Mobile Suite Gundam, I'm amazed that the original show featured basically one Gundam and some Zakus the whole time and was really pacing itself in terms of introducing new mecha :)

Then again - the little bit of SEED I've seen basically has a gazillion Gundams jumping around as if they were very common, standard issue type of things...

Pete

I think the blame for the "gazillion Gundams" thing would have to either go to G Gundam or Wing and it's been - with the exception of Turn A - a main stay ever since.

What SEED/Destiny has done is combine the above with an obsession for every damn character to have an upgrade path to the next better Gundam.

Edited by lechuck

• 2 weeks later...

Dalong.net has the PG Red Frame review up now. Seems wierd, it's bigger than Strike, but Strike's arms are longer, and Strike seems from the pics to have more articulation in the shoulders. Damn I can't wait for mine to get here...Guess I better hurry and finish my old ass Mk.II first.

anyone here got the v2 mg zakus?

i must say that i feel like throwing

away my old one now that i have

the new v2. they are just fantastic!

got the F type. am now planning on

getting char's S type. i really love

how the hands are big and the fingers

are so articulated.

I have the opportunity to buy a bunch of PG KO's. the model GD version. I can get the Strike/Strike C3/Strike Rouge/Wing Zero/and skygrasper. I've never built a PG Knock off, does anyone know anything about these?

anyone here got the v2 mg zakus?

i must say that i feel like throwing

away my old one now that i have

the new v2. they are just fantastic!

got the F type. am now planning on

getting char's S type. i really love

how the hands are big and the fingers

are so articulated.

I built the v2.0 MG MS-06J 'ground-type' Zaku. It's the first MG kit I built!

I was surprised at how relatively easy it came together. Parts fit precisely together, no seamlines to remove, everything pre-colored... really just a joy to build and the end result is fabulous. There's even some heft to the finished model.

I have the opportunity to buy a bunch of PG KO's. the model GD version. I can get the Strike/Strike C3/Strike Rouge/Wing Zero/and skygrasper. I've never built a PG Knock off, does anyone know anything about these?

I don't know anything about them, but I am prejudiced agaisnt KOs :)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

I don't know anything about knock-off PG kits but the general rule of thumb with knock-off kits is: buyer beware.

You just know the quality isn't going to be there. Why risk your money.

Yeah, I have a saying:

"Don't overpay for low quality."

In other words - sure - the price of KOs is lower... but you're fooling yourself if you think "wow! KO Gundam X for 50% less than real Gundam X!" Because it just looks the same - it's still an imitation.

Only women can get away with buying imitation channel or versache bags - and even then they get ridiculed roundly when found out.

Gundam fans buying a KO? Pointless. What are you going to do? Post pics of your KO Perfect Grade Gundam and try to pass it off as the real thing?

I can sort of understanding buying it to COMPARE to the real thing - like doing a comparisson gallery.

But just getting it - bleh :(

Pete

Yeah, I have a saying:

"Don't overpay for low quality."

In other words - sure - the price of KOs is lower... but you're fooling yourself if you think "wow! KO Gundam X for 50% less than real Gundam X!" Because it just looks the same - it's still an imitation.

Only women can get away with buying imitation channel or versache bags - and even then they get ridiculed roundly when found out.

Gundam fans buying a KO? Pointless. What are you going to do? Post pics of your KO Perfect Grade Gundam and try to pass it off as the real thing?

I can sort of understanding buying it to COMPARE to the real thing - like doing a comparisson gallery.

But just getting it - bleh :(

Pete

The reason I'm considering these is because I've been doing scratchbuilding/designing for a PG Strike Noir, and I've been using my one of my PG Strike naturally to test fit/design. However, it would be great to have a cheap template to work with, that way if I break it in expierimentation, oh well. So I need a bootleg Strike. Next, I need an extra backpack from a Wing Zero custom to modify for it's wings, so a knock off is ideal for that, and I don't have to rip up my PG zero. After that, I need a 1/60 big scale Freedom to use the wing guns for it. And, I'm considering using Grandslams for the wing swords. Not only that, but I can take the rest and make some seriously battle damaged Gundams, or have spare parts in spades. If the Strike noir doesn't pan out, I figure I can always make a Strike Dagger. That's why I want them, simply because I love my real PG's too much to risk destroying them.

I'd welcome any suggestions anyone has for parts to KB for the shoulders of the Noir. I've been looking through TF galleries for a TF I can rip apart, but damn there's a lot.

Edited by Excillon

Meh :) Gold platiing is so passee...

Can't Bandai make a SOC Gundam RX 78 2? That would be cool - but then again I guess the modelers would be bummed :)

Pete

I think the Metal Composite and Kado Senshi toys of the RX-78-2 already fulfills the gokin area.

Meh :) Gold platiing is so passee...

Can't Bandai make a SOC Gundam RX 78 2? That would be cool - but then again I guess the modelers would be bummed :)

Pete

The shade of gold on that thing looks like the original NES Legend of Zelda cartridge.

Anyone else get or build their Red Frame PG yet? I got mine, 2 of them one to display with the clear parts and extra sword, one to display old school style. Anyhow, I'm about 40% done with one, and I got to say I'm shocked on how similar it is to the Strike. Not that that's a bad thing, I love the Strike, it's my favorite PG kit. I know it was basically a retool. I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with the red coloring on the plastic for the skeleton, I thought it would be more vibrant. I'm not one to paint my PG's unless I have to, aside from panel lines, but I might paint my second one that will use the clear parts. Other than that, I haven't noticed any major differences. I'm even considering buying two more, when it's cheaper (without the clear parts, etc.) so I can make a Blue frame and Green Frame. Overall, a great kit as usual from the PG line.