Bandai/Tamashi Nations 1/100 lineup. 2009 takeoff!

UN Spacy

Of Course, I would prefer Perfect Transformation. But if minimal parts are required to be swapped, and it looks fantastic in all modes, and they are producing Valks that have not been made before, then I am all for it.

Twich

This can only be good for Macross Fans. With a powerhouse like Bandai looking like its actually investing into Macross now, we have some strong competition in the market which will mean only better products from Both Bandai and Yamato in the future :D

Edited by Duymon

1/100 scale with parts swapping.. sounds like they stole the idea from yamato. too bad yamato couldn't execute, this could have been a cash cow for them. the vf-25 has looked good so far, hopefully bandai will come thru with a quality product.

Ouch, $50 does sound a bit high for a 1/100 scale toy. I guess the hook is that they are making many of the lesser produced valks that people will pay the higher price anyway.

I agree, $50 is expensive for that scale. Even the Toynami 1/100 w/ armor would only cost around $30-35 shipped depending on where you get it. If they throw in perks like missiles and armor and stands, then we're still looking at something equivalent to the Toynami valk's accessories. What will make it worth that extra money will be if the quality is superior to the Toynami valks b/c they do have some issues (discussed many times in other threads). Personally, I'll only pick up ones I REALLY want from the line if it's gonna cost $50 a piece (YF-19, YF-21, VF-25 but only with armor, maybe even a VF-0 if it comes with some kind of perk).

I just think that if bandai wants to be competitive with those prices, they need perks like armor, missiles, and flight stands included. They also need to make them perfect transformation. Minor stuff like landing gear can be removable, but the toys need to be more or less perfect transformation b/c there are WAY too many people that hate parts-formers, no matter how minor the stuff is that gets removed. I make very few exceptions to that rule myself when buying stuff unless perfect transformation makes it significantly uglier, like deformed ugly. We also know that all or nearly all of them have been made as toys that transform without major parts swapping, so you have to consider having that knowledge present too.

There are so many things they need to nail down, but they are things that are fairly easy to do, so lets hope they get it accomplished.

And is there a tentative release date for any of them right now? Like first quarter versus fourth quater?

Edited by protostar8

I agree, $50 is expensive for that scale. Even the Toynami 1/100 w/ armor would only cost around $30-35 shipped depending on where you get it.

The VF-1 is significantly smaller than the 25, I doubt the VF-1 Bandai makes will cost the same as the 25 unless a launch arm display/diorama and full complement of FAST packs are included.

Minor stuff like landing gear can be removable, but the toys need to be more or less perfect transformation b/c there are WAY too many people that hate parts-formers, no matter how minor the stuff is that gets removed. I make very few exceptions to that rule myself when buying stuff unless perfect transformation makes it significantly uglier, like deformed ugly. We also know that all or nearly all of them have been made as toys that transform without major parts swapping, so you have to consider having that knowledge present too.

Well said.

1/100 scale with parts swapping.. sounds like they stole the idea from yamato. too bad yamato couldn't execute, this could have been a cash cow for them. the vf-25 has looked good so far, hopefully bandai will come thru with a quality product.

Quite honestly, the 1/100 VF-0S that Yamato planned looks nowhere near as good as the 1/100 VF-25 that Bandai has shown.

This can only be good for Macross Fans. With a powerhouse like Bandai looking like its actually investing into Macross now, we have some strong competition in the market which will mean only better products from Both Bandai and Yamato in the future

Very true, with bashing on both sides, I think a lot of fans fail to realize the benefit of two competent, competing companies. More variety, competitive pricing(both trying to undercut each other), and more motivation to outdo each other resulting in increasingly better product on both sides. While the David and Goliath go at it, we get to enjoy all of their products, its a win/win situation for all of us.

I'd be curious to know the percentage of the fanbase that prefers PT and which people don't care. I'm typically seriously opposed to parts-swapping unless it's absolutely neccessary, like Yamato's GN-U Groizer toy. I can certainly understand how people would want parts-swapping to retain the sleekness of fighter mode, but I'm more in the 'give me a playable toy with PT' camp. Too bad we can't just have both in the same line.

Honestly I think the parts swapping option is the bastardized choice given to the fandom. The aircraft model builders don't want something that transforms at all, toy fans want perfect transformation, the ones that are open to parts swapping are those who build variable plamo and understand the compromises involved, and enjoy them. Those of us toyfans that are open to parts swap are for the most part reluctant, only wanting minimal swapping, like those of parts not necessary for transformation, such as landing gears. The same group that wants a toy that looks good in all modes despite parts swapping fit in that group.

Ultimately I hope that if the toys do need parts swapped for transformation, that Bandai supplies less anime accurate parts as optional pieces that can maintain perfect transformation, so you simply swap out depending on your taste. Less accurate parts for perfect transformation, or swap to swap parts for swap transformation but more accurate appearances.

Quite honestly, the 1/100 VF-0S that Yamato planned looks nowhere near as good as the 1/100 VF-25 that Bandai has shown.

yeah, that's why i said, too bad yamato couldn't execute. judging by the pics of the vf-25 bandai should do a much better job.

Other than the VF-25, is there a release order (and loose release date)? Like is the line gonna continue with the entirely too often seen VF-1's or are we gonna get something fresh like a VF-4 as the second one? (No offense intended to those that like the VF-1, I just think there are already plenty of them, and even a 1/100 w/ Fastpack version available ALREADY).

Edited by protostar8

yeah, that's why i said, too bad yamato couldn't execute. judging by the pics of the vf-25 bandai should do a much better job.

Well Yamato listened to the fans, who thought that parts-former transformation sucked. So they went 1/60 and made it perfect transformation and made it look damned good. The QC/engineering problem is the dark side of the VF-0.

I'm interested in seeing how Bandai approaches the VF-0 in 1/100.

Ultimately I hope that if the toys do need parts swapped for transformation, that Bandai supplies less anime accurate parts as optional pieces that can maintain perfect transformation, so you simply swap out depending on your taste. Less accurate parts for perfect transformation, or swap to swap parts for swap transformation but more accurate appearances.

^

That's a really good idea.

I just assumed that they would only be parts swapping if it wasn't possible to make a Perfect transformation, not that they were deliberately doing parts swapping to please the model guys who care about accuracy at this size. If they can please both, that would work for me. I'd be interested in this scale if serious attempts are made to try to make it look good, but also put some thought into how the thing is supposed to transform.

I got back into the transformers when alternators came out due to the look of the toys. So I do care about the final look of transforming robots in alt modes. But at the same time, as a toy, part of the high price (vs buying a non-transforming kit) of these things is how they were engineered to transform into something else which we as toys guys appreciate as much as the final look. Otherwise it gets to a point where you ask yourself why you didn't just buy the kits. (yeah yeah, they take patience to build but its cheap)

Tiny VF-4 which can be close to PT would be great.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Universe, are you listening? This is a great idea!

(I thought the SOC Gunbuster was done like this)

Well Yamato listened to the fans, who thought that parts-former transformation sucked.

well it wasn't just the transformation that sucked on the 1/100 yammie vf-0s. the thing was a hideous clunker in all 3 modes.

I think you meant 1/60 there. Yamato never made a 1/100 zero. I agree on the clunker in terms of shoddy plastic and major QC issues, but by no means was the bird even close to ugly, much less hideous. But back on topic, until the 1/100 hits the online stores and we actually handled one, there's no telling whether it sucks majorly or not. The only thing that's certain is that we've only seen pics of the 25 and some of us quite like it so far despite being non PT.

Bandai is promoting these as action figures:

(from the Macross F Blog)

トイ(コレクターズ)コーナーではVF-25のDX超合金や1/100スケールアクションフィギュア、そして旧作より「オリジン・オブ・バルキリー」シリーズを一挙展示しちゃいます!

... so I don't think they care too much of how many parts need to be swapped for transformation.

I think you meant 1/60 there. Yamato never made a 1/100 zero. I agree on the clunker in terms of shoddy plastic and major QC issues, but by no means was the bird even close to ugly, much less hideous. But back on topic, until the 1/100 hits the online stores and we actually handled one, there's no telling whether it sucks majorly or not. The only thing that's certain is that we've only seen pics of the 25 and some of us quite like it so far despite being non PT.

cyde01's right. Yamato was originally going to release the VF-0S as 1/100 scale.

It was all ready for mass production and they canceled it at the last minute.

I'm too lazy to look for the old pictures. Maybe someone else has them ready to go.

cyde01's right. Yamato was originally going to release the VF-0S as 1/100 scale.

It was all ready for mass production and they canceled it at the last minute.

I'm too lazy to look for the old pictures. Maybe someone else has them ready to go.

hj2004ru0.jpg

If the 1/100 VF-2SS toy looks good and comes with the SAP, I'm buying a whole squadron. I don't care how much parts swapping is involved. I've been waiting for a decent VF-2SS w/SAP toy since 1992.

Graham

I hope they make the VF-2SS and detail it as much as they can!!! I'll match your squadron plus 5 more!!! Been waiting for years for someone to make an actual TOY version!!! I can live if its a parts swapper, as long as its sturdy!! B))

O_O I had completely forgotten about Yamato's 1/100 VF-0! XD Aye, that thing is one ugly duckling. Looks like they used the oversized 1/72 VF-19 hips for battroid mode. XD

Looking forward on hearing more about Bandai's 1/100 line... I say again: 2009 can't come any sooner! ^_^

O_O I had completely forgotten about Yamato's 1/100 VF-0! XD Aye, that thing is one ugly duckling. Looks like they used the oversized 1/72 VF-19 hips for battroid mode. XD

Just be glad it never made it to production. ^_^

Bandai is promoting these as action figures:

(from the Macross F Blog)

トイ(コレクターズ)コーナーではVF-25のDX超合金や1/100スケールアクションフィギュア、そして旧作より「オリジン・オブ・バルキリー」シリーズを一挙展示しちゃいます!

... so I don't think they care too much of how many parts need to be swapped for transformation.

What would the translation into correct English be? And it's not that making a non-PT valk is bad, but for $50, PT is pretty much an absolute must unless these things are freaking gorgeous and accessory filled, especially since they have larger versions that they can use to scale the transformation down with (I know it's not super simple, but the $50 price tag should imply some pretty hefty engineering).

I saw a japanese sight that showed these guys and at least some of these are not completely perfect transformations, I believe.

They showed the head needed to be removed.

And later on that site, someone commented "These aren't completely perfect transformations" or something similar.

Sorry I don't have a link.

I may be wrong about some of this, but from what I saw it looked pretty obvious that you had to remove the heads...

Edited by CosmicSpore

I saw a japanese sight that showed these guys and at least some of these are not completely perfect transformations, I believe.

They showed the head needed to be removed.

And later on that site, someone commented "These aren't completely perfect transformations" or something similar.

Sorry I don't have a link.

I may be wrong about some of this, but from what I saw it looked pretty obvious that you had to remove the heads...

Making such statements without a link to back it up is considered blasphemy around here.

Get the pitchforks!

:p

From the sounds of the plans of the VF-25, it would probably be simpler for them to just detach the legs from battroid and plug in some fighter-mode only belly plates, that way you get a nice sleek fighter mode without having to worry about fitting legs into a tiny space. Same thing for the arms.

VF-4?

VF-4!

VF-4!

VF-4!

Now if only that does well enough for someone to say, "Hey! Let's do a 1/60!"

I don't think that design was thought out.. Is there even line art of Batroid, or gerwalk configurations?