Bandai/Tamashi Nations 1/100 lineup. 2009 takeoff!

UN Spacy

Hmmm... I wonder if Bandi will just be reusing Toynami's molds or introducing a new 1/100 VF-1, since there was a rumor about the two of them in cahoots for US distro.

There is no rumor, Toynami is bringing over the Tamashii valkyries, I think the first chunkies that will be brought over arrive in september.

I highly doubt Bandai will reuse Toynami's molds, the quality is not up to par, nor is the design. The way it works is this, Bandai is the designer/producer, Toynami is the distributor, thats it. Hell even the new heads for the Robotech chunkies next year may even be of Bandai's designs.

If the 1/100 VF-2SS toy looks good and comes with the SAP, I'm buying a whole squadron. I don't care how much parts swapping is involved. I've been waiting for a decent VF-2SS w/SAP toy since 1992.

Graham

Even though I have gone on record as disliking parts swapping, I will not be able to resist a VF-2SS.

Or the VF-4, for that matter.

:ph34r:

Toynami will be bringing all the 1/100 Valkyries to North America? I wonder how that will work with the licensing situation?

Not sure but its likely, when I stated that Toynami was bringing over the Tamashii valkyries, I was referring to the 1/55 Origin of Valkyrie reissues, which are under the Tamashii banner. The only difference being a sticker on the box that says Toynami, thats it.

With that said, anything Macross made by Bandai/Tamashii is most likely able to be brought over by Toynami.

Not sure but its likely, when I stated that Toynami was bringing over the Tamashii valkyries, I was referring to the 1/55 Origin of Valkyrie reissues, which are under the Tamashii banner. The only difference being a sticker on the box that says Toynami, thats it.

With that said, anything Macross made by Bandai/Tamashii is most likely able to be brought over by Toynami.

These 1/100s are like the toynamis right, no assembly and coloring required, fun right out of the box, looking forward to vf-0.

If the 1/100 VF-2SS toy looks good and comes with the SAP, I'm buying a whole squadron. I don't care how much parts swapping is involved. I've been waiting for a decent VF-2SS w/SAP toy since 1992.

Graham

My thoughts exactly.

Edit: Did Bandai said anything about the release dates of the other 1/100 Valks?

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

While I'm still hoping for a 1/72 VF-171, this should at least give me a back up. I really like the idea of this line, but the $40-$50 price range is mellowing me out.

*Edit: Crap! Just looked at HLJ and the 1/72s are $40 too! Dangit, this used to be an affordable hobby...

Edited by Kelsain

You know...I have to think that the universe is trying to give me exactly what I want, but it has some trouble getting the specifications right. So, let me make it clear.

PERFECT TRANSFORMATION. NO PARTS SWAPPING FOR TRANSFORMATION!

Chant it with me!

And here is a partial list of which toys I want. I'll want more later, but do these first:

VF-1J Hikaru with GBP armor

VF-1D with elongated canopy

VF-1A Cannon Fodder with fast packs

Elint Seeker & Super Ostrich with correct canopies

VF-4

VF-11 with fast packs

VF-2SS with SAP

VF-2J Icarus

Regult (with swappable weapons)

Recon Regult

Glaug

Q Rau

N Ger

Destroids

Thanks, universe!

Edited by danth

That's what it says on the sign. But let's not confuse the universe. Let's all focus on my list...and chant. :ph34r:

I'll chant your list, but it'll have a slight variation as I need to have the VF-17 pretty close to the top. :)

There's absolutely no excuse for them to NOT make the VF-1 with perfect transformation. They've already done 1/100 with PT years ago. And if Toynami can do a decent PT 1/100 toy, then anyone can do it and do it better - especially Bandai.

Edited by eriku

There's absolutely no excuse for them to NOT make the VF-1 with perfect transformation. They've already done 1/100 with PT years ago. And if Toynami can do a decent PT 1/100 toy, then anyone can do it and do it better - especially Bandai.

Yeah, except Toynami's "perfect transformation" toy is crap. Crappy sculpt, crappy build quality, crappy durability, and gaps galore.

The ancient 1/100 Takas were PT but again the sculpts were ugly.

Both the Toynami and Taka have those ugly hip/leg joint things near the intakes that mar the looks in fighter mode. I hate those things.

I'll chant your list, but it'll have a slight variation as I need to have the VF-17 pretty close to the top. :)

Thanks. I was going to have my list be "EVERY F*CKING VALK -- DON'T FORGET THE MAXL" but I didn't want to push my luck with the universe. So I have no objections to getting a VF-17. :D

Quoted for absolute truth.

Yeah, except Toynami's "perfect transformation" toy is crap. Crappy sculpt, crappy build quality, crappy durability, and gaps galore.

I wouldn't go that far. I liked the sculpt besides the big shoulders and the big chin on the 1S. The intake area in fighter mode was off a bit, too, but I still liked 'em. And I had no quality issues with mine.

Edited by danth

The ancient 1/100 Takas were PT but again the sculpts were ugly.

Both the Toynami and Taka have those ugly hip/leg joint things near the intakes that mar the looks in fighter mode. I hate those things.

I'd much rather have a toy be perfect transformation and have some ugly bits than imperfect transformation ANY day. Non PT toys inevitably fall apart, pieces pop off and get lost, and usually they're not visually all that much better. Even in larger scale non-PT toys like the Yamato 1/60 V1 just suck. Yes, the Toynami 1/100 could look and function better in many respects but it's still a nice compromise in all three modes and gets the job done (the swing bars are TEENY in comparison to older toys although they do need a lock). As far as I'm concerned, if they're going to charge $39.99 for these then there better be a LOT of engineering going into them and that better mean they're perfect transformation. I don't think a Lego version of transformation should run nearly this expensive. If it's $39.99 and twice as nice as the Toynami 1/100 I'm going to LOVE this line.

I'd much rather have a toy be perfect transformation and have some ugly bits than imperfect transformation ANY day. Non PT toys inevitably fall apart, pieces pop off and get lost, and usually they're not visually all that much better. Even in larger scale non-PT toys like the Yamato 1/60 V1 just suck. Yes, the Toynami 1/100 could look and function better in many respects but it's still a nice compromise in all three modes and gets the job done (the swing bars are TEENY in comparison to older toys although they do need a lock). As far as I'm concerned, if they're going to charge $39.99 for these then there better be a LOT of engineering going into them and that better mean they're perfect transformation. I don't think a Lego version of transformation should run nearly this expensive. If it's $39.99 and twice as nice as the Toynami 1/100 I'm going to LOVE this line.

Well I think we're blowing things a bit out of proportion if we think these 1/100s are going to be Lego-like. :)

And okay, maybe I was overstating things a bit with the Toynami toy.

But I respectfully disagree that it MUST be PT. I certainly wouldn't mind it being PT. But if push comes to shove, if PT means I have to compromise on sculpt (esp. in fighter mode) - no thanks. I'd rather compromise PT than sculpt.

But I respectfully disagree that it MUST be PT. I certainly wouldn't mind it being PT. But if push comes to shove, if PT means I have to compromise on sculpt (esp. in fighter mode) - no thanks. I'd rather compromise PT than sculpt.

Aye, I concur. If not having PT means 1) good sculpt in all 3 modes, 2) sturdiness (i.e. no parts dropping off) and 3) resilience to parts breakage, then I'm all for non-PT. At least I can play with it!

While I love the engineering and design of the Yamato toys, all the reports of breakage on a >US$100 item has made me paranoid to transform it too much.

The only alternative to a swing bar that I can think of is if they make the legs removable to be pegged into the nose, which at 1/100 scale would probably mean big holes in the side of the nose. I'd rather have a swing bar than holes, and I'd rather have PT than have to remove the legs and put them back on, but to each their own. I just don't believe that every toy in the 1/100 scale will need to be a parts-swapper in order to retain the integrity of alt mode.

The only alternative to a swing bar that I can think of is if they make the legs removable to be pegged into the nose, which at 1/100 scale would probably mean big holes in the side of the nose. I'd rather have a swing bar than holes, and I'd rather have PT than have to remove the legs and put them back on, but to each their own. I just don't believe that every toy in the 1/100 scale will need to be a parts-swapper in order to retain the integrity of alt mode.

It could also be like the old 1/72 Imai/Bandai kits in which you swap the entire forward fuselage. In other words you get 2 versions of the forward fuselage - one for fighter/gerwalk mode and one for battroid mode. This could conveniently solve the want for a long nose in fighter mode and a short nose in battloid mode. Not to mention doing away with big holes and ugly swing bars.

It could also be like the old 1/72 Imai/Bandai kits in which you swap the entire forward fuselage. In other words you get 2 versions of the forward fuselage - one for fighter/gerwalk mode and one for battroid mode. This could conveniently solve the want for a long nose in fighter mode and a short nose in battloid mode. Not to mention doing away with big holes and ugly swing bars.

Universe, do NOT listen to this guy.

Vifam7, geez man, do you understand the point of a transforming toy? You were complaining about the Toynami 1/100, and now you want the Bandai version to use different nosecones for different modes? :wacko:

Oh wait, here's an idea. They could just swap the WHOLE TOY for fighter and battroid modes. That solves ALL the anime magic problems. F*ck this transformation thing. :D

Edited by danth

Eh, the 1/100 VF-25's going to go for around $50. A lot cheaper than 1/60 Yamato valks, but still not cheap enough to buy every single one... (of course, lots of people here bought every 1/48)

Ouch, $50 does sound a bit high for a 1/100 scale toy. I guess the hook is that they are making many of the lesser produced valks that people will pay the higher price anyway.

I remember putting together one of those kits with the swappable nose sections when I was a kid. I was soooo happy to find a valk model kit in my small town, even though it was just a 1A brownie molded in flesh colored plastic...but when I realized the whole nose section had to be swapped to achieve battroid mode my balloon instantly deflated and I couldn't even finish putting the kit together. Luckily I got got a joke machine shortly after whose rotating canopy, fast packs and perfect transformation kept me in amazement for months. :)

I'd be curious to know the percentage of the fanbase that prefers PT and which people don't care. I'm typically seriously opposed to parts-swapping unless it's absolutely neccessary, like Yamato's GN-U Groizer toy. I can certainly understand how people would want parts-swapping to retain the sleekness of fighter mode, but I'm more in the 'give me a playable toy with PT' camp. Too bad we can't just have both in the same line.

Universe, do NOT listen to this guy.

Vifam7, geez man, do you understand the point of a transforming toy? You were complaining about the Toynami 1/100, and now you want the Bandai version to use different nosecones for different modes? :wacko:

Obviously I'm confusing everyone's want for PT and my acceptance of parts-forming. Never should've wrote late at night. ^^;