Bandai 1/60 DX VF-25 transformable toy thread

I think the blog post is just "Look here is what we have, so we still got a lot of work to do, so please forgive us for the delay."

Agreed. I'm gonna lay off the hating for now.

Improvements I'd like to see: -

1) Make the 4 x nose sensors transuscent plastic like Yamato does, not just have them as painted on indentations in the plastic.

2) Give the landing gear more detail, especially the rear gear.

3) Make both front and rear landing gear telescoping to increase length. They are too damn short now.

4) I hope the knee can bend forward more than is shown for Gerwalk mode. If not, the knee articulation needs to be greatly improved.

5) Lets have some holes in the end of the gunpod barrels please.

Graham

I'm actually OK with having no articulated hands.

The fixed pose hands will be better for holding the weapons securely anyway.

I've never though that Bandai could make articulated hands that can hold weapons securely.

And yes, I've owned a lot of MG and some PG kits over the years and while the hands are nicely articulated and look good, they were generally crap at holding things well IMO. Bandai articulated hands = overated IMO.

Graham

Urgh...ok....i'm not even buying this for the fighter mode anymore. Why does the nose slope downwards....as if the gunpod will shoot on it.

Hmmm...the feet look smaller now...or is it just me?

Low hanging torso still bugs me.

Huh...these latest pics look much better, there is still hope.... 78.gif

Still, there is something wrong with the way the knees are bent in gerwalk, it looks very unnatural...what is missing....

Dropping the nose reduces the height of the retarded landing gear??...just a guess...

Edited by Mowe

Looks much better in the pics here now

but the profile balance of the front part is pointing down to much

and that bugs me. the front section is too large and does not help the overall look of it in fighter

but I will need to check the real thing before considering a purchase

let's wait

^_^

I'm actually OK with having no articulated hands.

The fixed pose hands will be better for holding the weapons securely anyway.

I've never though that Bandai could make articulated hands that can hold weapons securely.

And yes, I've owned a lot of MG and some PG kits over the years and while the hands are nicely articulated and look good, they were generally crap at holding things well IMO. Bandai articulated hands = overated IMO.

Graham

The newer MG kits have tabs in the hands and holes in the weapons to secure them.

The nose seem to curve/ droop way too much.

Things I'd like to see fixed.

1) Lower the hip joint so the intakes are parallel with the crotch piece. IMO that would make it look a whole lot better.

2) Make the crotch piece a bit smaller.

3) Hide the landing gear bay door hinges on the legs.

4) Longer neck.

5) Things that others have mentioned.

6) Covers for all the screw holes.

Re: The downward pointing nose, you can see that the legs are still not locked up all the way into the back plate (possibly the tabs or locking mechanism isn't in place or is too thick from primer coats to actually work well at this stage), which would cause the nose to point down a bit.

You can especially see it in this picture:

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/011152/03.html

There's a gap in the hip joint and the landing gears aren't parallel to each other. The nose bend should decrease (though it looks like there'll still be a slight one) once the legs get properly locked up into the back.

I like it, overall. Poseable hands would have been nice, but it's not a huge loss to see them go. Bandai does make some great articulated hands, but even so they never look quite as nice or work as well as properly molded fixed hands.

EDIT:

Quick photoshop adjustment based on what the angles would be if the landing gears were more parallel to each other (assuming that's how they should be):

VF-25Adjust.jpg

Edited by QuinJester

Note how long and slender the front landing gear is supposed to be, according to the official pics in the booklet that comes with the Frontier DVD # 2.

See attached pic.

Bandai got it right with the 1/72 scale model. They really need to improve the landing gear for the 1/60. Make it telescopic if necessary, but make it longer!

Graham

post-11-1222431789_thumb.jpg

I have to go with Graham. The front landing gear needs to be a lot longer than it is, and by enxtension, the rear as well. That side profile looks all kinds of wrong to me. It just isn't asthetically pleasing.

Maybe I'm too extreme...

But with those short rear landing gears, how is the VF-25 supposed to land without crashing the feet/thrusters???

You'd have to land parallel to the ground :lol:

Seriously, those gears are an abomination, as I said earlier in this thread, they remind me of the 1/72 Mac Plus Yamato valks.

This place is funny. When Yamato was working on the YF-19 I kept sayign that the size of the front landing gear shouldn't be an issue 'cause they could make it telescope with a twist lock (to potentially reduce the "gullet" effect). Almost everyone who read that suggestion told me a telescoping front landing gear was the last thing Yamato should do because it wouldn't be able to handle the weight, etc. So what, everyone thinks Bandai can make a sturdier landing gear? What's all the battying about the landing gear anyway? You're NEVER going to see it on your shelf unless your shelf is eye-level. It's not like this toy has Toynami's MPC Alpha problem of resting on its chest.

Edited by jenius

This is indeed looking better now. Still the proportions in battroid look a bit funny with those monster thighs but this pic looks good IMO...

27.jpg

Now the question for me is which to get Ozma or Alto? For me it will be a matter of fast packs. I forget, what was the release schedule for the FP? Was it that FP will be seperately sold for each or only as a combined set or that michael and luca would be the first with FP? Or was that still unconfirmed?

This place is funny. When Yamato was working on the YF-19 I kept sayign that the size of the front landing gear shouldn't be an issue 'cause they could make it telescope with a twist lock (to potentially reduce the "gullet" effect). Almost everyone who read that suggestion told me a telescoping front landing gear was the last thing Yamato should do because it wouldn't be able to handle the weight, etc. So what, everyone thinks Bandai can make a sturdier landing gear? What's all the battying about the landing gear anyway? You're NEVER going to see it on your shelf unless your shelf is eye-level. It's not like this toy has Toynami's MPC Alpha problem of resting on its chest.

Completely agree with you!!!

I'm not gonna pose it with the landing gears deployed, I never do, so it's not a deal breaker to me ^_^

But I can understand that some fans are expecting some degree of realism compared to a real fighter and to the lineart ;)

It looks like the landing gear are the biggest problem here. I also want to see the lower legs up higher in fighter mode. I'm willing to forgive everything else. Translucent plastic for sensors would be nice, though.

Isn't there enough room in the lower legs and nose for longer gear? I mean, that part of the nose with the cockpit doesn't fold, does it?

Is the lower foot cuff just miss transformed in that profile picture? It should be flush with the rest of the leg. If the leg can secure to the fuselage better so they don't hang so low hen I may be tempted to buy one, but still not really happy with this. I do realize that this is still not finished and I hope this thing locks together much better than it looks like it does at the moment, because it look like it has nastey gaps all over it at the moment. I guess we'll see.

Chris

looking a lot better. Battroid mode I can't say much about I mean even on the show its a little odd looking especially without the armour on it.

not -too- concerned with the landing gear since when displaying in fighter mode I want to have it on a stand with the whole in flight look anyways so I can forgive it a bit

There are ways to have telescopic gears with a locking mechanism.

Yup! And they don't need to be complex, either.

Now, I'm wondering *why* the nose gear is so short---look how long the nose gear DOORS are. The bay has the be fairly long.

My main concern at this point is the legs in fighter mode---why are they way below the level of the wings and shield as seen from above? There's not merely a "gap", they seem to be half as high up as they should be. They should be well ABOVE the shield in fighter mode, just like a VF-19's legs/shoulders are. That ruins the look of fighter mode than any proportion issue IMHO. At this point I can't believe that the toy's been mis-transformed that much EVERY time. They're not even close to being in the right position. But I mean--why even have the large cut-outs around the shield and wings, if the legs don't go into them? So you can look down through the holes and see the legs?

PS---is it just me, or are these new pics of an older sample?