The Yamato 1/60 "Destroid" Thread

Lonely Soldier Boy

I also noticed that, if you look inside of the shoulder joints from an overhead view, you can see the ammo belt leading from the torso into the arm!

That looks great. I agree the non-transforming stuff is harder to justify at higher price. But like the Qrau I hope to pick these up some time, because I'm sick of just vf-1. It's just that the list of things to get is getting longer! Argh.

These will look great next to the 1/60 vf-1 and Qrau in one big space war I display. If only they were cheaper you could line them all up shoulder to shoulder like in the show. :D *hint hint* where are those revoltech destroids?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

huzzah!!! my warhammer dropped in today! woo hooo!!!

pix!!!

standby:

destroidtomahawk005lj2.th.jpgthpix.gif

alpha-strike:

destroidtomahawk006qt7.th.jpgthpix.gif

with his Valk-buddies from Macross:

destroidtomahawk007oh4.th.jpgthpix.gif

a Wolf's Dragoon Timberwolf! friend or foe?:

destroidtomahawk008vw0.th.jpg

melee with a Clanner, a Dragoon and a Star League mech(s)!:

destroidtomahawk009qz8.th.jpgthpix.gif

Yes! This Destroid Tomahawk is TEH AWESOMEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ph34r:B)):lol:

---

obtw, anybody doing or contemplating/planning to do the Black Widow paint-scheme for this mech? ;):pB))

Edited by treatment

Ok, bubble-popping time... :D

For those of you who just got their Tomahawk, or am contemplating one, here's a few things to watch out for. (to WATCH out for, not a problem, ok?)

1. The cockpit is a bit hard to open and I have genuine concern about how long it can last. I'd advise not opening and closing it too often.

2. Watch out for the antenna.

3. I'm noticing wear on the missile hatches. Nice grey plastic underneath though.

4. The cannon arms are plug-ins and not glued on mine. The long barrels aren't a problem -- you tend to noticed that they are missing, after all -- but the back end of the arm is similarly plugged in; one of mine fell off but luckily it was in a bag. Reattachment isn't a problem.

5. Waist joint is annoyingly loose -- the 'Hawk would tilt forward and back without much warning. Annoying but not fatal.

6. The "heat sink"/ "boxes" on the thighs are slotted in, not glued on my pair. If you look at the Defender's legs, you can see the slots where they are supposed to go. Be aware that they can fall out, so check it every once in a while.

7. Hip mobility sucks and hence affects the whole leg's posability. There is two modes -- an upper/ "normal" mode where the hip bar is in the upper position, and a lower/ "dynamic" mode where the hip bar is in the lower position, giving slightly more room for dynamic poses. Unfortunately, the thigh armour doesn't allow for much mobility, so it's largely wasted.

I do wish Yamato took some liberty with the clearances here to give us a much better toy than a good looking model, but them's the breaks. This is my largest displeasure with this toy.

On the positive side, it's a nice solid metal bar. It's a single bar for both hips though, so some issues there, but nothing you cannot live with.

8. The left knee seems to be consistently stiffer than the right knee on both of mine. You might have to use a bit of force on the left knee to get it to go past the detents.

9. The ankle and foot assembly is a marvel. Metal/ rubber/ plastic assembly, quite intricate. I like it, except that one of my 'Hawk's foot had already became a bit loose. Still, nothing too terrible.

Overall this is a good toy, nothing fundamentally fatal. Nice solid brick, good to see that after the frustrating YF-21 and VF-1 v2.0. I feel it's worth the price -- provided nothing breaks suddenly.

There's review on collectiondx.

The few collection DX reviews I've seen tend to annoy me. It's nice that they try to give you some background so that non-fans can have some appreciation for it or a reason to be excited about it, but they don't seem to know very much on the subject. Their info can be a bit misleading, but they act as though they know what they are talking about.

And another one.

A much better review IMO.

I just can't justify purchasing the destroids. Non-variable and probably just as badly poseable as the Quid Raus of old...

In fact, it's silly (imo) that variable valkyrie have better poeasability than the non-variable quid rau and this destroid...

That said, I guess this particular destroid, like most others, wasn't exactly manufactured to strike daunting poses, so I shouldn't complain...

But it's just kind of pricey for essentially a big tank with legs.

I am happy to hear about the addition of technician and the other dude. More stuff like this would enhance the play value. A nice diograma in the box would also go a long way to make the destroid appetizing.

As things stand, it'll be mine if it ever goes on clearance...

Pete

I'm definitely getting the Tomahawk, how much I enjoy it will determine whether or not I shell out for the others. I've always been a fan of the destroids, though, and really hoped to see more of them in Frontier (Only one model? What a jip!).

I like the review, but I really disagree with the implication that your money may be better spent on the 1/60 vf-1 ver 2. That's a nice toy, but it's really not any nicer than the 1/48 vf-1's - sure, it has better articulation, but it's significantly smaller. If you already have a 1/48 valk toy, I'd HIGHLY recommend grabbing the destroid. By far, this is the best toy that's been made of the Tomahawk. Awesome details, very very sturdy, well articulated, and just fantastically put together. You MWers don't know a great toy when it bites you in the ass. :lol:

Of course, if you don't own any 1/48 valks, you should certainly buy the 1/60 vf-1 ver 2.

got mine today and i'm liking it so far. it came with a pilot, technician, and an escape artist though. i was putting it back into the box and one tech fell out onto the floor. i've looked for half an hour now and i still can't find it. :blink: it's not messy in here... that sucker took a good bounce and i didn't see which way it went.

Edited by Cache

Hmmm. I'm a big fan of the Destroids - both from the point of view of their showing in Macross and as some of the original mecha in the Battletech boardgame - so as a Macross fan and a long-time adherent of Wolf's Dragoons I am almost required to _like_ the first release in the line. It does look very nice - the sculpt is great and the opening hatches and launcher covers are a nice touch. However, like VFTF-1 I will probably skip them to be honest. I'm slimming down my toy purchasing anyway - my Macross, Mospeada and Transformers collections have finally swollen over the boundaries at which having more toys actually makes me enjoy them less. If I had more space, and more money I might have been tempted. But I shall probably not partake in this case.

Karl

got mine today and i'm liking it so far. it came with a pilot, technician, and an escape artist though. i was putting it back into the box and one tech fell out onto the floor. i've looked for half an hour now and i still can't find it. :blink: it's not messy in here... that sucker took a good bounce and i didn't see which way it went.

Check in your shoe tracks, or between your toes. :lol:

A couple of years ago I was looking for the tiny backpack hook on one of my 1/48's for the LONGEST time.

Little did I know that that tiny piece fell into the folds at the bottom of my jeans.

It was sitting in there the WHOLE time I meticulously searched the floor looking for it. :wacko:

I myself personally like to hunt No Step stickers. So far out of 5 gone missing cases, 4 were recovered. 4/5 isn't bad at all. :p

Hate to think if i have had carpet... >_> Yes most of the time they are stuck to your clogs/crocs or pants while you go looking.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Check in your shoe tracks, or between your toes. :lol:

very close. it actually made it into my shoe and somehow i couldn't feel it when i was walking around. found it an hour later when i was desperate enough to actually search there. :rolleyes:

almost had an ugly accident with it earlier too. i was holding it by the legs and closing a missile door when the back torso popped off. that might have sucked if i was over a hard floor. i wish there was a better lock to hold it together.

Edited by Cache