Yamato 1/60 VF-1A/D/J/S v2.0

Dante74

As you can see from the top view, Roy's ass and legs fit the seat perfectly, but he is just slightly too tall. He still looks really good sitting in there, I may just leave one of the two 1S pilots in there permanently. :p

He won't even come close to fitting in my other Johnny Lightning cars and since the Racer X car and seats are noticeably bigger, it leads me to believe that it's actually closer to 1/60 scale.

-Kyp

After seeing those Kyp my man........I am retracting my statement. Roy looks REALLY good in there....I am willing to look past the slightly too tall.....How often are you going to look at from that angle anyways?!? Right?!?

:ph34r:

Does that shoulder problem apply to the 1-A too? Im getting a little nervous about recieving it now.

No. Yamato did not tighten the 1A's shoulders as much as on the 1S. So far there are only reported breakages on the 1S, none on the 1A, that goes for this forum and toysdaily(so far from what I've browsed).

Everytime I look at my strike valk posed in a dynamic stance...I realize how sexy this damn sculpt is. Looks awesome. Need a Max Type 1A TV version, I want to have it displayed in the pose after he defeated Milia. Awesome.

A few things I want added to these toys in future versions aside a more durable shoulder hinge are detents for the wings. The 1/48 had them, the old 1/60 had them, there is no reason the new one shouldn't have them.

... detents for the wings. The 1/48 had them, the old 1/60 had them, there is no reason the new one shouldn't have them.

yeah, was wondering why they didn't do this for the new vf-1's, would make life easier for people obsessive about the wings' symmetry... :blink:

Just to add my $0.02 on this topic of the shoulder, I just got done examining my 1/60 1S to death, and I didn't have any stress marks on my shoulders of mine. I did follow the good advice of Shin, and I loosened all my shoulders just to be on the safe side. It's really an easy process, but if you do work on yours, do make sure you use the exact size screwdriver. The screws in the shoulder are of a pretty soft metal, so you don't want to strip that screw. My 1A is good, as it does appear they left just enough tension to keep it poseable, but looser than the 1S to avoid potential problems.

Anyways, My 1J is on preorder, and I'm hoping for it soon. I will say that if they do a re-release the 1S I may just get one for safe keeping, maybe even customize another one.

Just to add my $0.02 on this topic of the shoulder, I just got done examining my 1/60 1S to death, and I didn't have any stress marks on my shoulders of mine. I did follow the good advice of Shin, and I loosened all my shoulders just to be on the safe side. It's really an easy process, but if you do work on yours, do make sure you use the exact size screwdriver. The screws in the shoulder are of a pretty soft metal, so you don't want to strip that screw. My 1A is good, as it does appear they left just enough tension to keep it poseable, but looser than the 1S to avoid potential problems.

Anyways, My 1J is on preorder, and I'm hoping for it soon. I will say that if they do a re-release the 1S I may just get one for safe keeping, maybe even customize another one.

Just get the Hikky 1S thats coming soon.

But on the shoulder topic, I (knocking on wood) have yet to have any probs with the shoulders. I don't transform it all the time, but then again, when I do I am really careful. I have noticed the 1S being a lot tighter than the 1A though.

Anywho, I am really getting itchy to get another couple of 1A's and customizing them. The more I think about it, the more I want to do it. The only thing thats really holding me back besides the money, is how to do the heat shield. Its not like the 1/48 where its molded in clear plastic with the skull on one side and the colored paint on the other. <_< Then there's the matter of the tampo printed numbers.

This is a perfect opportunity for Yamato to release a "build it yourself" kit, since the heads can be switched out. They could do it like Stikfa's and release multiple colored molds, like light grey, dark grey, black, white. Normal colors, not neon. Man that would be a fun kit to have.

I'll definitely get the Hikky 1S, but Roy's 1S just as a good insurance against breakage. Now that I think about it, I don't know if I've just fortunate or super careful, but I've never had a problem with any of my Yammies (knocking on wood as I say this). For some of you who've said it came out of box broken, that's a hard thing to take. I know if I had that problem, I'd be fuming. I'll be happy for all of us when I hear the fix from Yamato.

I'll definitely get the Hikky 1S, but Roy's 1S just as a good insurance against breakage. Now that I think about it, I don't know if I've just fortunate or super careful, but I've never had a problem with any of my Yammies (knocking on wood as I say this). For some of you who've said it came out of box broken, that's a hard thing to take. I know if I had that problem, I'd be fuming. I'll be happy for all of us when I hear the fix from Yamato.

I've never had any problems with my Yammies either. The only casualty is one cracked VF-0A shoulder.

Having just transformed my 1/48 Milia for probably the last time (to take pics before selling it), I've decided that Yamato really should have done the "tailfins, head hatch and backpack lock" on the new 1/60 just like the 1/48. The 1/48 has a much closer-fitting backpack, and the "clasp" is hidden away in fighter mode. The 1/60's backpack sticks further out, and must be FORCED close to the backplate, bending and under stress by its hook---and it still doesn't stay as close as the 1/48 does. And it scrapes its tailfin paint off in the process. Now, even if the 1/48 didn't have a retractable antenna, it still wouldn't scrape paint off the fins for 2 reasons:

1. Its tailfins fold much flatter, and thus don't "protrude" from the backpack as far. (best tailfin folding of all). I'm still surprised why the new 1/60 has such "not flat" tailfin folding. They really only seem to get 90% of the way there, and I've fiddled with them a lot to make sure I'm doing it right---but that's how it is in the instructions. I can't believe Yamato "forgot" how the make the tailfins fold nice and flat on top of each other. The right one's pretty flat, but the left---not even close.

2. The forward antenna is proportionally a bit further forward--it can't touch the fins no matter what. If the 1/60's forward antenna was just 1 or 2mm further forward, it wouldn't scrape the trailing edge of the tailfin.

Really, the 1/60's only real design flaw (or at least, not as good as the 1/48) IMHO is the backpack---the tailfins don't fold flat, it doesn't sit as close to the backplate as the 1/48, it has a highly visible hook, and the tailfins get their paint scraped off. It's also missing the neat cross-hatch pattern on the backpack's "exhaust flap".

Having just transformed my 1/48 Milia for probably the last time (to take pics before selling it), I've decided that Yamato really should have done the "tailfins, head hatch and backpack lock" on the new 1/60 just like the 1/48. The 1/48 has a much closer-fitting backpack, and the "clasp" is hidden away in fighter mode. The 1/60's backpack sticks further out, and must be FORCED close to the backplate, bending and under stress by its hook---and it still doesn't stay as close as the 1/48 does. And it scrapes its tailfin paint off in the process. Now, even if the 1/48 didn't have a retractable antenna, it still wouldn't scrape paint off the fins for 2 reasons:

1. Its tailfins fold much flatter, and thus don't "protrude" from the backpack as far. (best tailfin folding of all). I'm still surprised why the new 1/60 has such "not flat" tailfin folding. They really only seem to get 90% of the way there, and I've fiddled with them a lot to make sure I'm doing it right---but that's how it is in the instructions. I can't believe Yamato "forgot" how the make the tailfins fold nice and flat on top of each other. The right one's pretty flat, but the left---not even close.

2. The forward antenna is proportionally a bit further forward--it can't touch the fins no matter what. If the 1/60's forward antenna was just 1 or 2mm further forward, it wouldn't scrape the trailing edge of the tailfin.

Really, the 1/60's only real design flaw (or at least, not as good as the 1/48) IMHO is the backpack---the tailfins don't fold flat, it doesn't sit as close to the backplate as the 1/48, it has a highly visible hook, and the tailfins get their paint scraped off. It's also missing the neat cross-hatch pattern on the backpack's "exhaust flap".

This new 1/60 just makes the 1/48's and the v1 1/60 butt-backwards wrong! It's like everything that could have been fixed has been fixed!

Now if Yamato would only make this in 1/48 scale!!!

I've yet to transform the new 1/60, but can vouch for its solidness in fighter mode. Here pics to prove it. My 6 year old son and I were watching DYRL last night. Since the toy was sitting on my desk he asked if he could "touch" it. I was actually comfortable enough for him to "play" with it. He ran and swooshed around the room without a single piece of the plane coming apart. I was only nervous about him falling and breaking something, but it was worth it to vicariously re-live my childhood while watching him play with one of the coolest Valks made while enjoying the movie.

^_^

OO

gallery_7126_36_573288.jpg

gallery_7126_36_380715.jpg

gallery_7126_36_668421.jpg

gallery_7126_36_431670.jpg

Edited by MacrossMan

UPDATE ON VF-1S version 2 SHOULDER

receive email from HLJ Customer Service Representive:

"...Yamato cannot sell those parts....Sorry!..."

however:

"...We have received your parts request and are processing it now. As soon as

we hear anything back from the manufacturer, we will pass that information

along to you and/or ship your parts..."

shoulder hinge broke, give u a replacement. u 1 2 buy xtra part? yamato dun sell.

sounds like we need a version 2 1/48 with support for 2 seaters.. (using the 2 seat mod that nightmareb4macross came up with)

All the improvements on the 1/60 like proper thrusters in the feet, the double joints, lack of low hanging shoulders etc could be standard for version 2.

I know that would probably drive the existing 1/60 guys crazy...but yamato needs your money.. Alright time to start the poll: "would you buy a version 2 1/48 line of vf-1?"

And I would say "yeah, with sideparts as standard". Then I could buy all the 1/60 at cheap prices as people upgrade to v2 1/48. To reduce costs and pressure on the hinge remove the diecast from the FAST packs, and the savings can go towards more tampo printing on the toy.

Toy would be aimed at the serious collector, and exploit the limited run of each release (make only enough to go around with the occasionally super duper limited release for the elite)

They could increase the gimmicks on the v2 like have head turret covers which could be removed or something. Hollow head lasers. Chest plate covers removable etc.( britai rips this off in SDFM) Just make it the ultimate toy.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

sounds like we need a version 2 1/48 with support for 2 seaters.. (using the 2 seat mod that nightmareb4macross came up with)

All the improvements on the 1/60 like proper thrusters in the feet, the double joints, lack of low hanging shoulders etc could be standard for version 2.

I know that would probably drive the existing 1/60 guys crazy...but yamato needs your money.. Alright time to start the poll: "would you buy a version 2 1/48 line of vf-1?"

And I would say "yeah, with sideparts as standard". Then I could buy all the 1/60 at cheap prices as people upgrade to v2 1/48. To reduce costs and pressure on the hinge remove the diecast from the FAST packs, and the savings can go towards more tampo printing on the toy.

Toy would be aimed at the serious collector, and exploit the limited run of each release (make only enough to go around with the occasionally super duper limited release for the elite)

They could increase the gimmicks on the v2 like have head turret covers which could be removed or something. Hollow head lasers. Chest plate covers removable etc.( britai rips this off in SDFM) Just make it the ultimate toy.

Although it will probably never happen, I would definitely be in line for a v2 1/48 with the same upgrades as the 1/60!

:blink:

OO

Macrossman, cool to see your son playing with a yamato valk while watching DYRL. Your TV is up so high!

Yeah it's a lot of fun watching the shows with him. The TV only appears high from the angle. There's a pic in the gallery with a better angle that shows the actual height.

I came up with a design of the VF-1 that would have built in side parts. It's a bit tough to explain but the arms that are suppose to move the leg into place could be used on a toy to then swing up and become side parts. If Yamato did a version 2.0 I would love for them to do this. You could also incorporate a pivot joint in the chest so the toy could hunch forward. My plan for the legs would also make the waist way more useful. If one were to also incorporate a way for shortening the wings the toy would be absolutely amazing. Best of all, I think it'd be more durable in some ways. But this is all pipedream stuff.

Well folks, I think I just posted what ought to be my most controversial post ever (it's a quick run down of each VF-1 toy). Check out the comparison shots by clicking right here.

Thanks for that. Especially what you said about people who like parts-formers!

Man, as much as I love the new 1/60, the 1/48 really has the best proportions and sculpt overall, except for the wide canopy and low shoulders in fighter mode (and of course the tiny hands). The new 1/60 lacks those eyesores, but also lacks the 1/48 gracefully sleek nose and canopy profile.

My perfect valk toy would be have the 1/48's sculpt and proportions, but the 1/60's size, backpack, lower legs, hands, thinner canopy, and higher-stowed shoulders in fighter mode.

Except for the girly hands, the 1/48 definitely looks the most bad-ass in battroid mode. Look at that big, strong chest! *swoons* :wub:

I'm a robosexual. :ph34r:

I've yet to transform the new 1/60, but can vouch for its solidness in fighter mode. Here pics to prove it. My 6 year old son and I were watching DYRL last night. Since the toy was sitting on my desk he asked if he could "touch" it. I was actually comfortable enough for him to "play" with it. He ran and swooshed around the room without a single piece of the plane coming apart. I was only nervous about him falling and breaking something, but it was worth it to vicariously re-live my childhood while watching him play with one of the coolest Valks made while enjoying the movie.

^_^

OO

DAMN BROTHER! That is one sweeeeeeeet setup! The only thing better about your setup is how your son can't seem to remove his eyes from DYRL. AWESOME!

Man, as much as I love the new 1/60, the 1/48 really has the best proportions and sculpt overall, except for the wide canopy and low shoulders in fighter mode (and of course the tiny hands).

I disagree with that, I do like the longer nose on the 1/48 in fighter mode, no doubt, but in battroid and gerwalk the new 1/60 nails it. The articulation is much better too. Overall aesthetic is much more balanced. The 1/48 has a huge chest but skinny arms and tiny hands. The 1/60 has a much more balanced look, highly reminiscent of its appearance in the anime.