I'm new here, what got the thread locked?

The thread was borderline and best not to let it spread among the populace here considering it involves talk of underage individuals being portrayed in a sexual context. Better to avoid the topic and not invite trouble.

The thread was borderline and best not to let it spread among the populace here considering it involves talk of underage individuals being portrayed in a sexual context. Better to avoid the topic and not invite trouble.

Considering Macross Frontier portrays underage females in a sexual context, it might actually be a worthwhile discussion? Fan service, underage girls and moe are big parts of Frontier, so trying to ignore that is foolish. Now, would the people here have the maturity to do the discussion justice? That's an entirely different question...

Considering Macross Frontier portrays underage females in a sexual context, it might actually be a worthwhile discussion? Fan service, underage girls and moe are big parts of Frontier, so trying to ignore that is foolish. Now, would the people here have the maturity to do the discussion justice? That's an entirely different question...

And, given the Dynamite 7 discussions, I think the answer would have to be "no."

Considering Macross Frontier portrays underage females (...)

Please. Check your biases, cultural misconceptions and preconceptions at the door. We are fans of a Japanese anime, produced for people in Japan. Do your research first before making gross assumptions about character's ages.

Not to mention that any age mentioned is completely arbitrary. They are all ficticious 2D images.

Please. Check your biases, cultural misconceptions and preconceptions at the door. We are fans of a Japanese anime, produced for people in Japan. Do your research first before making gross assumptions about character's ages.

Not to mention that any age mentioned is completely arbitrary. They are all ficticious 2D images.

Well said Sketch. :)

I realize you like playing the "guy who lives in Japan and knows everything about everything Japanese" card, but give me a break. Just because it's made in Japan, for Japanese people, does not make the sexualization of expressly underage characters any less questionable. People in Japan don't find this kind of stuff any more acceptable, and there's a good reason why most people here dislike otaku.

Stop trying to portray it as some kind of deeply significant cultural aspect that we as westerners can't understand, because it isn't.

:D

As I said, check the law, check the age of the characters involved, and if it bothers you STOP watching it.

Japan: age of majority: 20 (drinking, driving, voting. Funny how those go together.)

Japan age of marriage: men (over) 18. Women (over) 16.

Japan age of consent: 13 (though most prefectures have ordinances against "immoral sexual acts". For more info, start here: http://www.interpol.int/Public/Children/Se...ws/csaJapan.asp )

Therefore, the questions are:

Ranka is how old? Your intentions towards her are what exactly, son?

:D

As I said, check the law, check the age of the characters involved, and if it bothers you STOP watching it.

Therefore, the questions are:

Ranka is how old? Your intentions towards her are what exactly, son?

The fact is she a character who is young looking and acts immaturely and that her character is highly sexualized. This isn't an innocent Japanese kawaii thing, this is exploitive garbage made for creepy guys who like cartoon girls and is not some misunderstood aspect of Japanese culture. The only thing being misunderstood is the people defending this kind of stuff, not realizing who it's made for. Just because it's not expressly against the letter of the Japanese law, doesn't mean its morally questionable and certainly doesn't make it acceptable to the majority of Japanese people. For further reference you can check out the beastiality DVD's and the Under-15 model fetish videos.