"Laser" Technology in Macross Universe

The VF-4 was never pulled from duty by the VF-5000. "Complement" is a much better word.

In Egan's words:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...st&p=447171

Now I would say that the VF-4 was well received since more than 8000 were made. But you know, price tag...or sweetness? Price tag? Or sweetness? The kids at UNS probably fulfilled their wet dream with the VF-4 until UN HQ saw their budget and decided to make some cutbacks.

If I recall correctly, in addition to the VF-5000, some were also using the VF-9.

Was it ever stated explicitly that the Ghost X-9 used "lasers", or did it use "beam guns"?

I just glanced at the relavant sections of TIATS: M+ Movie Edition, Kazutaka Miyatake Design Works, and M+ Game Edition, and there is nothing that I spotted in the text nor notes on the line art to indicate that the weapons are beams, lasers, or even if there are any weapons!

I just glanced at the relavant sections of TIATS: M+ Movie Edition, Kazutaka Miyatake Design Works, and M+ Game Edition, and there is nothing that I spotted in the text nor notes on the line art to indicate that the weapons are beams, lasers, or even if there are any weapons!

That's unfortunate. I suppose they'll have to labeled something sufficiently generic, like "energy guns".

I've dug up an old info from Sketchley:

"Seemingly, the laser gun unit that has placed to the upper part of the thigh at Batoroid from the other side. It adheres outside of the airframe right and left at the fighter. "

This means the VF-25 doesn't have head lasers, it has head beams.

FV

Well, tradtionally all VF is equipped with a head anti-aircrat/missile lasers. Additional lasers/beam guns are commonly found on VFs as secondary weapon.

I think there's an ambiguity between laser and beam ^_^ . Where in Gundam (UC), laser is light based weapon and beam is a Minovsky particle based weapon, I would like to think that lasers is the same in Macross and beam weapon is utilizing dimensional energy or something :rolleyes:

Well, tradtionally all VF is equipped with a head anti-aircrat/missile lasers. Additional lasers/beam guns are commonly found on VFs as secondary weapon.

This is an old tradition. The YF-21, VF-19 and VF-22 already got a head beam, with lasers on the hips or arms.

I think there's an ambiguity between laser and beam ^_^ . Where in Gundam (UC), laser is light based weapon and beam is a Minovsky particle based weapon, I would like to think that lasers is the same in Macross and beam weapon is utilizing dimensional energy or something :rolleyes:

No, I think macross beam cannons are normal charged particle beams. Only Quantum cannons are likely to be different and related to the superdimension.

FV

I've read through the Newtype articles on Macross F, and they specifically state "lasers in the head".

So, it may be better to approach any arguements from the angle of why have the beam guns disappeared? Why are laser weapons mounted on the VF-25 where beam weapons have "traditionally" been mounted?

I believe that Morpheus is correct; the beam cannons of Macross appear based on super-dimension-energy. The vast majority of valkyrie beam guns are called "converging energy beam cannons", similar to the description for the main gun of the SDF-1 Macross (super-dimension-energy cannon with beam polarizing converging system). Charged particle weapons do exist in Macross, but those weapons appear upon Zentradi mecha. When these directed-energy weapons are described, they are clearly distinguished as different from converging energy beam guns. They are described by names such as electron particle beam guns (Quell-Quallie) or liquid plasma cannon (Nousjadeul-Ger).

It is somewhat annoying the Macross creators still make the distinction between lasers and beam guns when the two directed-energy weapons appear functionally identical in the anime productions. Not sure what the purpose is behind distiguishing the two, but we have to accept it nonetheless.