Looking for a good sci-fi/fantasy book

for a bit of noir masquerading as sci-fi, try When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger. if you like it, it continues in A Fire in the Sun, then An Exile Kiss, and finally a posthumous short story collection Budayeen Nights. it's set in Budayeen, a red light district within a near future Islamic city.

For Good Fantasy stuff, try Dennis McKiernans stuff, not the first trilogy and Silver Call duology, because those are very Tolkien-esque, but if you like that sort of thing, it is original enough to be good, but I am talking about his other stuff set in the same world as the first trilogy and silver call duology. Also, Cavern of Socrates is pretty good too as a work outside his norm.

Does anyone have any input on the book based on the first Metal Gear Solid game? I think it was written by the guy who writes/wrote the Halo stuff, but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Twich

Just like to add Neal Stephenson and David Brin to the list of recommended authors.

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and Diamond Age are two of the best 'cyberpunk' books written and his other books like zodiac and cryptonomicon are excellent reads as well.

David Brin has written a great many books and some of them have been turned into horrible horrible movies, but his uplift trilogy (original) should appeal to macross fans who like the whole progenitor aspect of the mythology.

Try reading the rest of the Ender series. 4 books in total. Its more edgy and hard sci-fi than the 1st book. ;)

Seconded. Speaker for the Dead is, I believe, a MUCH better novel than Ender's Game. The next two aren't quite as good, but they're still excellent.

I read Ender's Shadow and liked it, but I got bogged down in Shadow of the Hegemon and never finished it...are the sequels worthwhile, anyone?

If you like Sci Fi comedy, actually, comedy in a Sci Fi setting, pickup Robert Asprin's "The Motley Phule" and the rest of the Phule's series.

If you like that kind of humor and want fantasy, pickup his Myth Series.

Cracks me up and great re-reads on business trips!

The must : Brave New world by Aldeous huxley

comic : Georges Orwell who wrote : ferme des animaux so the farmhouse of animals :unsure:

mystery and really fantastic :l'assassin royal , the royal assassin by Robin Hobb and Arnaud Mousnier

If you know historical books like those wrote by Eiji Yoshikawa please let me know :)

• 1 month later...
just finished the first book of the series "A Game of Thrones".

not bad, quite interesting - some plot twists... quite an easy read.

easy to read, but not easy on the heart. that series gets more depressing as it goes on... :p

Seconded. Speaker for the Dead is, I believe, a MUCH better novel than Ender's Game. The next two aren't quite as good, but they're still excellent.

I read Ender's Shadow and liked it, but I got bogged down in Shadow of the Hegemon and never finished it...are the sequels worthwhile, anyone?

I've always felt that the Beanverse (for lack of a better word) books are a sort of fanservice to the ender fans who would like to know more about the battle school boys and girls. storywise, i think it doesn't hold a candle to the complexity and substance that is Speaker of the Dead and the sequels. but because of the familiar (and beloved) characters, it's still quite enjoyable. it's kind of a like a nicotine patch for all those who wanted to see story's ender continue immediately after the bug wars, not a 100 or so years after.

if you don't really care what will happen to bean, petra, hot soup and the rest of the gang til they grow up, then the bean books will not really offer you anything new. more political than sci-fi, in my opinion.

easy to read, but not easy on the heart. that series gets more depressing as it goes on... :p

I've always felt that the Beanverse (for lack of a better word) books are a sort of fanservice to the ender fans who would like to know more about the battle school boys and girls. storywise, i think it doesn't hold a candle to the complexity and substance that is Speaker of the Dead and the sequels. but because of the familiar (and beloved) characters, it's still quite enjoyable. it's kind of a like a nicotine patch for all those who wanted to see story's ender continue immediately after the bug wars, not a 100 or so years after.

if you don't really care what will happen to bean, petra, hot soup and the rest of the gang til they grow up, then the bean books will not really offer you anything new. more political than sci-fi, in my opinion.

Okay, I guess I'll pass then. And anyway, Orson Scott Card is deinfitely NAGAHUTB (Not As Good As He Used To Be).

I tell ya, of all the sf/fantasy authors I read in high school, Stephen R. Donaldson is about the only one who I still like...

Okay, I guess I'll pass then. And anyway, Orson Scott Card is deinfitely NAGAHUTB (Not As Good As He Used To Be).

I tell ya, of all the sf/fantasy authors I read in high school, Stephen R. Donaldson is about the only one who I still like...

Somewhere in NC, Orson Scott Card is plotting my assasination. "That's ONE less reader, DAMN YOU dreamweaver!!"

:D

• 8 months later...

Not sure if this belongs here, but it was great Science Fiction/Science Fantasy. I just finished reading the Hell's Gate series by David Weber and Linda Evans. I absolutely loved it. So far the series consists of two books, "Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury". Although at the time I felt that "Hell's Gate" was about 400 - 600 pages to long, after reading "Hell Hath No Fury" I appreciated the character development in those pages that I originally thought were excess. This is one of the first books in a long while where I have felt an attachment to the characters and the plots surronding them. I am simply dying to read the next books, which unfortunately have not yet been published. I can't find any information to that regard as well. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of that info, or a fan site dedicated to this series.

Edited by stram8777

Well, as self serving as this may seem, my book is now available:

The first book in Spiral War Saga is now availble for purchase on the Kindle, and should be available in hardcopy in early June.

Visit the spiral war website to learn more, then head on over to the e-store front or the kindle page to purchase your copy.

I am planning to attend MacrossWorld Con in July and will sign copies.

READ AN EXCERPT AND GIVE YOUR OPINION

ISBN/EAN13: 1442176512 / 9781442176515

Page Count: 380

Binding Type: US Trade Paper

Trim Size: 6" x 9"

Language: English

Color: Black and White

Related Categories: Fiction / Science Fiction / Space Opera

Note: all proceeds recieved by the author for the sale of this book will be used for the treatment of his youngest son's Cerebral Palsy, helping to purchase medical equipment, supplies and treatments.

Not sure if this belongs here, but it was great Science Fiction/Science Fantasy. I just finished reading the Hell's Gate series by David Weber and Linda Evans. I absolutely loved it. So far the series consists of two books, "Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury". Although at the time I felt that "Hell's Gate" was about 400 - 600 pages to long, after reading "Hell Hath No Fury" I appreciated the character development in those pages that I originally thought were excess. This is one of the first books in a long while where I have felt an attachment to the characters and the plots surronding them. I am simply dying to read the next books, which unfortunately have not yet been published. I can't find any information to that regard as well. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of that info, or a fan site dedicated to this series.

How SF Fantasy is it? I never could get myself to read it because I don't really like mixed SF/Fantasy stories and the covers turned me off. I prefer my SF to be SF and Fantasy to be Fantasy. It's only because it's Weber I'm even considering reading this. I love his SF military/political books (Honor Harrington and the series he wrote with with White)and almost didn't read Armageddon Reef because of the setting.

How SF Fantasy is it? I never could get myself to read it because I don't really like mixed SF/Fantasy stories and the covers turned me off. I prefer my SF to be SF and Fantasy to be Fantasy. It's only because it's Weber I'm even considering reading this. I love his SF military/political books (Honor Harrington and the series he wrote with with White)and almost didn't read Armageddon Reef because of the setting.

The story is about two multi-universal civilizations. One of those groups of people is Magic-based and one is Science-based although they use Psionics. The magic-based folks use Dragons, Spells, and Swords and Crossbows. The Science-based use firearms and trains.

Not really sci-fi, but a touch of fantasy rooted in crazy accurate historical fiction, Dan Simmon's The Terror is probably one of the best books I've read in some time. Absolutely fantastic. In the same vein, his book Drood was good but wasn't as solid as The Terror. What's nuts about The Terror is reading the book and then delving in to research on the real history of what happened (it's a slightly fictionalized telling of the mysterious disappearance of the failed and fabled Franklin Expedition to find the Northwest Passage in the 1840s), and having Simmon's telling make sense as to what could have happened to that ill fated expedition. Fantastic writing.

In sci-fi, I've been enjoying Jack McDevitt's books lately. Just read Chindi, working on Eternity Road now. I like his brand of plausible science fiction.

Vostok 7

Uhm... how about Del Rey Robotech novels?

Just kidding. :p But hey, I've completed all the novels in that series so far...

Well, not sure if you'll like the other books I have in my collection, but here goes:

Shannara series by Terry Brooks - it has a LotR feel to it, but on a less grander scale. The focus of the stories are on the royal line of Shannara and their descendants, the Ohmsfords, in what seems at first is a middle-Earth type world. Terry's storytelling is very fluid and very flexible. He can be focusing on a single character at one moment, to the point of exclusion of the others, then suddenly, through a very subtle transition phase, be telling the story from a wider perspective. The words are also not too... archaic, for lack of a better term :p Recently he has published volumes that bridged the timeline current world, in a twisted and unexpected way.

Sigma Force books by James Rollins - it's like combining Templar/ancient secret society stories with believable sci-fi stuff and secret agents. It has the riddle/puzzle elements common to secret society stories, but in current world setting. James Rollins also tells a damn better story than Dan Brown does :p

Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik - a very interesting series involving talking Dragons and set in the Napoleonic Era. Temeraire is the protagonist of the series, a very intelligent, and later on will be revealed as "royal" bloodline Dragon, serving under the British Air Corps with aviator and friend Captain William Laurence.

Edited by valkyriepilot

I have 2 great series for read:

by Scott Lynch: The Lies of Locke Lamorra, Red Seas under Red Skies, and soon to be released The Republic of Thieves. This will be a 7 part series when its all said and done. Plus some smaller short stories on the side. All part of the "Gentleman Bastard" sequence. I highly recommend these books. I started them, got hooked within the first 10 pages and couldnt put them down.

Another good series is by author Joe Abercrombie, who is a good friend of Scott Lynch: The First Law, Book One: The Blade Itself, The First Law, Book Two: Before they are hanged, The First Law, Book 3: Last Argument of Kings. I am currently on the 2nd book of this series, but I own all 3. It's a fine read indeed.

Both authors write fantasy, but GOOD fantasy. Trust me on this one.

Websites:

Joe Abercrombie

Scott Lynch

If you like military sci-fi, give the Helfort's War series a shot (two books out now, third coming up in November, I think). A little light on characterization, but it's pretty good on the military/action side of things. It's written by a former RN/RAN officer, so shipboard life and the tactics feel authentic.

Depends on how old you are.

In my early teens, I absolutely loved the David Eddings Belgariand. The sequel series was a bit slow (Mallorean, I think it was).

Later teens, I'd say William Gibson.

In your 20s, I'd say read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Starts off a little slow, but well worth it.

In your 30s, I'd say Neal Stephenson, if you have the patience.

Sadly, I can't think of any good scifi to recommend, which is weird seeing as how I haven't read fantasy in years, since it really started to bore me, and now read more scifi or history.

Sci/Fi and fantasy isn't my area at all, and this is a historical fiction, but I'd recommend picking up Ngal's Saga. Its a 13th century Icelandic epic which follows a series of bloodfeuds among several Norse families... pretty gripping stuff once you get into it. Its not long, 300 pages, and very readable.

I love Icelandic sagas...There's a really great huge paperback that got about ten or so all bound together (put out by Penguin, I believe) and it's all highly worth reading.

"I laughed, I cried, it was much better than Beowulf."

More historical fiction in the Nordic Beowulf vein, Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead is an excellent read.

Vostok 7

I don't know how historically accurate that one is. I read it years ago and ejoyed it, but as I recall the extent of historical basis to it is that there is evidence of Arabian and Viking contact. Beyond that, it's just a retelling of Beowulf meant to be slightly more plausible.

More historical fiction in the Nordic Beowulf vein, Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead is an excellent read.

Vostok 7

I don't think you can really compare a Michael Crichton book to a 13th century saga...It's kind of like saying, "Do you like ancient Greek sculptures? Then check out this brand-new homage to them made entirely out of plastic!"

Retellings and "inspired by" stories have their place, but they're never a patch on the original.

I found C.J Cherryh's Chanur series to be quite entertaining.

• The Pride of Chanur
  • Chanur's Venture
  • The Kif Strike Back
  • Chanur's Homecoming
  • Chanur's Legacy

I don't think there's more in the series, but hopefully Cherryh comes around to wirte more stories set in the Compact area of the Union/Alliance/Earth universe.

Edited by Wanzerfan

@RavenHawk & Gubaba: Yeah you got me. It's still a good read though.

Ibn Fadlan was real though, and he did spend time with the Rus' in the 10th century and wrote the earliest descriptions of them.

Vostok 7

a few books to check out

the black jack gerry saga

honor harrington saga

off Armageddon reef saga

orson scott card like ender saga what not

i liked the new jedi order saga.

battle field earth was 1000 times better then the movie.

there is a few classical scifi that is interesting like, enemy mine and starship troopers

forever war was neat

Frederik Pohl

in his heechee saga is a good read.

stainless steel rat saga

bio of a space tyrant saga.

Edited by buddhafabio

Let's the movie rates a zero on the "good scale," and the book is 1000 times better. And 1000 times zero is...?

(j/k. I've never actually read the book, but I've heard it's a lot of fun.)

bio of a space tyrant saga.

Man...Piers Anthony. I loved his books for a while in junior high, until I realized what a lazy bastard he was (and how, while he often wrote good FIRST books in a series, he never seemed to be able to write good FINAL books for those series). After he wrapped up "Incarnations of Immortality" and "The Apprentice Adept," I swore I'd never read another book by him. And I haven't.

But I would certainly recommend his books to any horny twelve-year-old boy who likes science fiction or fantasy. :D

Seconded.

The movie may be terrible, but the book is one of the best pure scifi books ever.