washes,pre shading and dry brushing

RichyX

as title

im actually really enjoying getting started onto modelling now, i know it takes a lot of practice and time, but could some please give me some ideas on how to do washes, pre shading and dry brusing please

and what would i need

at the minute im using tamiya acrylics, and future to seal

but id like to have a go at doing more stuff on them as i like the clean look, but i love the worked and used look better lol

id be very gratefull, i have some oil paints aswell and i use white spirit to thin them down with, but i havnt mastered this yet, but still trying

hi, nice to hear you're venturing into modelling

well, there have been a lot of similar questions posted about this same topic, you should try doing a search, I will link you to a few

This are wm cheng great step by step build ups, although, it's not a direct link to what you ask for he explains in great detail all the modeling he does, as well what you're seeking for, my favorite is the YF-21 WIP, you should also do a search and check for DrunkenMaster2 build ups also, great stuff too

This are some useful weathering techniques

Modelling Tips useful tips here also

hope it helps, would like to see your projects in the future, good luck mate ^_^

Edited by Valkyrie addict

i had a look using the search, only thing i could find was someone doing a gundam, but didn explain how to do pre shading

from the link you have posted,theres a vid of hows its done, i need another airbrush as my air brush carnt do thin lines, its only 1 set pattern :(

so i need to find a quality airbrush now with different nozzles

everytime i come on here i always look through wm chengs model builds as i think they are fantastic

thankyou for the links, ill will keep studying

For preshading you can't beat a dual action airbrush. You can get them at machine mart, about £15. Way, way cheaper than a model shop.

Do NOT use white spirit to thin oils for a wash. Get low odour thinner, hobbycraft has it.

If you're just getting into doing preshades (or any paintwork blending technique) is to use lower contrast blends - this means for white you'd preshade with grey, not black. It means you do fewer coats and can overpaint errors more easily.

Drybrushing... you need a soft brush. VERY soft. And you need to dry it thorouhly - it should leave almost no paint when drawn across the back of your hand. The worst thing you can do is attempt to drybrush with too much paint - you'll get a streaky finish for sure.