Mass Effect

I bought this game for the PC a few weeks ago for £10. Over all its a great game though the sci fi and characters weren't all that original.

I always figured that was the point. It seemed to me that Mass Effect was one giant homage to every 80s and 90s sci-fi story all mashed together. From the Blade Runner-esque theme, dropped hints to Star Wars, BSG, Firefly... it's all there if you look closely enough.

While i really enjoyed the first game, i'm not exactly excited about getting the sequel straight away. I'll probably wait till the game is a budget title, like i have done with the first one. Mass Effect's story didn't really take me in compared to other games like Knights of the old republic. Now that i've played through it once, i don't feel an urge to play through it again. Even though i've started a new game as a woman i've not really felt like continuing or exploring the game further. I've gone and started playing other games instead that keep me going for ages like empire total war.

I bought this game for the PC a few weeks ago for £10. Over all its a great game though the sci fi and characters weren't all that original. I've played throught it once and i've started playing it again as a woman this time. First time playing through i went the renegade route which had some very funny dialogue at times.

I hope your PC has a Vista Rating of 5, otherwise you're S.O.L..

That's probably the funniest way to play. Smacked anyone upside the head yet? :)
Are you Mark Harmon, because you sounded a lot like Leroy Jethro Gibbs there; oh, wait, you didn't specify where on the head. :p

Not sure what all the rating is all about but my rating is 5.9
The rating is basicly what types of games your PC can handle (basicly a dumbed-down version of system requirements) the higher the number, the better the games you can run. I bet you can run Crysis with almost no problems. Edited by Wanzerfan

The rating is basicly what types of games your PC can handle (basicly a dumbed-down version of system requirements) the higher the number, the better the games you can run. I bet you can run Crysis with almost no problems.

My PC probably can run crysis with no problems, I've not played that game yet. I'm kind of slow when getting games I usually wait till they're really cheap. But mostly i play strategy games that keep me going for a long time before considering something new. I've only just waited this long just to get Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1. Not sure when Mass Effect came out but it was really cheap when i bought it a few weeks back.

One of the WMGs I read on TVTropes had suggested/hoped that by the end of Game 3 we'll be presented with a choice or a situation where if you took the dickhead route throughout the game, you'd beat the Big Bad but possibly lose/kill off humanity in the process because you'd alienated any and all allies to help you out. On the other hand, if you took the time to help people with their problems and make yourself out to be somebody worth their effort, then you'd have some allies for the Final Fight.

Only fan speculation, but I like it. It'd give a lasting whammy about the problems in being a jerk to everyone when push comes to shove.

Usually i would play through the game as a "dickhead", then play through it again as a saint. But the dialogue you get when playing the dick in bioware games are really fun just to see how characters react.

It'll be cool if your actions in the first game affects how the sequel will be played. When i played knights of the old republic and its sequel both were disjointed and my actions in the first game were dismissed in two sentences in the 2nd part which left me disapointed.

btw, I thought the voice acting in Mass Effect was great and it was nice that they actually gave the main character a voice too.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to drink nothing but Diet Cherry Dr Pepper for a while:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

20/16/14 OZ BOTTLES: Look under the cap of specially marked 20 oz., 16 oz. and 14 oz. bottles of Dr Pepper®, Dr Pepper Cherry, Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper Cherry for the game code ("Code"). Codes will be available under the cap on bottles from January 1, 2010 through March 31, 2010 and from July 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010 in participating markets.

--

Unique Downloadable Content (DLC) for applicable EA games (games subject to change) - Mass Effect 2, Battlefield Heroes, The Sims 3, Spore, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 plus additional games may be available based on EA game release dates. Once all DLC content has been redeemed various options of other electronic downloads will be available as prizes.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Of course, I didn't win a Camaro from their last promo, but I figure there's much greater odds with this.

Right now, I just got off the tram on Noveria and dealing with the survivors there (I'm trying to beat the game before Mass Effect 2 comes out).

My question about 2 is this, though: is there going to be an item cap of 150 like in the first game? If there is, I'm going to be selling my low-level stuff like mad as I did in the first game, I would hate to turn good equipment into omni-gel.

Right now, I just got off the tram on Noveria and dealing with the survivors there (I'm trying to beat the game before Mass Effect 2 comes out).

My question about 2 is this, though: is there going to be an item cap of 150 like in the first game? If there is, I'm going to be selling my low-level stuff like mad as I did in the first game, I would hate to turn good equipment into omni-gel.

Pretty sure that when you start #2, you only get some "bonuses" towards your character. I think I recall reading that something that said you wouldn't get to keep your weapons from the first, but that could have changed since then.

As the post above me said, you really only get bonuses for your levels....and potentially your equipment. You wont be starting ME2 with a full inventory at max level. Even if that's what Shepard has on the save you carry over. Your choices within many of the quests both major and minor will be the most direct carry overs. Your paragon/renegade level is also said to at least boost you in one direction or the other when you start.

Any word on if "maxing" stuff has any effect? Because I too am playing one last time right before ME 2 comes out, and this will be the one where I hit level 60(hopefully)----but my last game was my "total renegade" run. If you get a paragon/renegade boost, it'd be best to load from my previous game. But if there's a bonus for maxing out at level 60, then I should go with this game, and try to steer it as close to renegade as possible for that bonus (I was going to go for a fairly neutral play-through).

As the post above me said, you really only get bonuses for your levels....and potentially your equipment. You wont be starting ME2 with a full inventory at max level. Even if that's what Shepard has on the save you carry over. Your choices within many of the quests both major and minor will be the most direct carry overs. Your paragon/renegade level is also said to at least boost you in one direction or the other when you start.
Sorry for not being clear, I was worried that you can only carry a max number of 150 items in Mass Effect 2, like in the first game. That way I know if I have to sell the stuff when I get near the cap in ME2.