Mass Effect

• 1 month later...

I applaud your efforts if you got a decent she. They always looked like they had insanely long necks to me, and while I liked Jennifer Hale in MGS4, I thought her delivery wasn't as good as the male voice actor. Still, I really really hope it's misleading, one because I love my character and two because the original plan was to have choices you made throughout ME1 carry over to ME2. While they are still somewhat obligated to do it for say..the final choice in the game, it seems kinda like a cop out to me. I guess only time will tell if the man...or woman, is really gone.

I really hope the game continues with Shepard... I put a lot of thought into the stats based on my play style and what the fully powered up abilities would be like... so if they toss the character and just keep how you affected the characters/galaxy I'll be pretty disappointed.

And I actually though the female shepard's voice acting was much better than the male shepard. That's the primary reason I made my "main" shepard female, I couldn't stand the male shepard's voice work.

I'm the same way, my "main" Shepard was male and it was weird to see a female in the role or even a different male Shepard. Between the customization at the beginning, combined with the moral choices and training ones I grew very attached to the character I had created, it'd be a shame to lose him (or her). It's also part what made ME special imo, it really felt like MY character, not me playing something that was all nice and laid out by Bioware. So fingers crossed the trailer is misleading.

Killing Shepard off sreen ... :mellow: Bad move Bioware, bad move ... Besides, Shepard fight ain't over yet. A true warrior like Shepard can't die until the job is done. Must be a faked death. I hope so ...

Edited by Macross007

I don't mind the mako, but I wish the worlds were better fleshed out both the actual towns/settlements as well as the spaces in between.

Same with hunting for those relics. Instead of just a pop up, I'd like an actual encounter

Edited by eugimon

The Mako sequences would've been better with more intuitive controls, better suspension on the buggy itself, and variable gravity fields. The codex goes to so much trouble including the surface gravity of each planet, it would've been nice to actually experience in the game itself.

But my major #1 request of ME2: BETTER LOAD TIMES!!! *pant, wheeze* I can't tell you how much it annoyed me, having to sit through that tedious elevator ride every time I wanted to chat up and eventually nail Ashley.

But my major #1 request of ME2: BETTER LOAD TIMES!!! *pant, wheeze* I can't tell you how much it annoyed me, having to sit through that tedious elevator ride every time I wanted to chat up and eventually nail Ashley.

Andersen: What happened?

Liara: I still cannot believe it! Shepard ran out of the lift, screaming "NO MORE ELEVATOR RIDES! I CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER ELEVATOR RIDE!", and went through the airlock without an EVA suit!

Andersen: Dear God, another one! How many more good people will those damned things destroy! Well, we can't let people know what happened; a hero like Shepard doesn't deserve to be remembered by such a demeaning end. We'll blame the Reapers; nobody likes those f**kers.

[Roll Mass Effect 2 title sequence]

LOL. Nice ;)

yeah i guess getting rid of the Mako all together isn't really the way to go. I just waish it was a bit more fun to drive.

That's where I think upgradability would help.. better guns, weapon loadout, drive mechanics. I mean, by the end of the game a pistol has more destructive power than the mako... :huh:

And if the worlds themselves were more interesting with more encounters including a better variety of enemy vehicles....

• 2 months later...

Commander Shepard probably isn't dead in Mass Effect 2

Joystiq.com

by Griffin McElroy { May 2nd 2009 at 4:00PM }

Following the release of the Mass Effect 2 teaser trailer, we've all been nervous wrecks about the assumedly unfortunate fate of the first Mass' protagonist, Commander Shepard. We really do not want him to be dead. We spent so much time molding him, as if from clay, to look just like us, only much more attractive.

Fortunately, at the end of a recent Mass Effect 2 dev blog post, the game's executive producer, Casey Hudson, responded to the notion of Shepard's corpsification, saying he "better not be." He continued, "we had a lot of big plans made, so if someone's gone and killed Shepard then things are going to take an unexpected turn." So, there you have it. Either Shepard is still alive, or some unknown, shadowy agent murdered him without Bioware's noticing. Either way, we should know more about Shepard's status when we see the game next month at E3.

• 4 weeks later...
Just stumbled upon this post about how Bioware stole from my favourite SF designer

http://themainloop.blogspot.com/2007/12/ar...ass-effect.html

So I DLd the book from a scanner site. That will teach them...

I'll give them the last two; they certainly do look similar. One of the early Mako designs in the fourth picture certainly looks like Syd Mead's drawing. The first two, however, don't really share much of a resemblance at all. With the third picture, there's only a vague similarity between the contour/shape of the nose of the Mako and the sketch on the left. The last one is kind of on the borderline anyway. I keep examining pictures 1, 2, 3, and 5, yet I still don't see any flat out plagiarism in them, IMHO. I can't help but wonder if some people are overreacting just a little bit...

Calling out the one concept Mako really illustrates that at least some of it is very likely parallel development.

There's more than one person that's made hollow wheels and wheels on legs. I maen, I could make a convincing argument that one of those concept makos is a ripoff of the Sophia 3rd from Blaster Master.

I went through the whole artbook now, and while there is plenty of stuff that is clearly inspired by Mead's style and color palettes, I would not call it plagiarism except the last example from the blog. I also see tons of highly original ideas.

I highly recommend the artbook, wether you're a fan of the game, Syd Mead or concept design in general.

Well let's look at their track record...

Baldur's Gate series.

Neverwinter Nights 1

Icewind Dale 1

Knights of the old Republic

Jade Empire

Those Canuks from Alberta can and do kick some serious ass!!!

If you have a choice between the game, pick up the platinum edition, there are a lot of goodies on that bonus disk, the biggest of which is the Bring Down the Sky quest.

IGN had a little snippet from Bioware about Shepard's fate, I'll spoiler tag it to be safe.

according to Bioware, Shepard can still die in ME2, ultimately his fate will rest on the choices you make in events prior

IGN had a little snippet from Bioware about Shepard's fate, I'll spoiler tag it to be safe.

according to Bioware, Shepard can still die in ME2, ultimately his fate will rest on the choices you make in events prior

Wait, is this within the game (ME2), or in the original?

I really enjoy ME, but I am past the point of doing yet another replay to make sure my Shep doesn't die in the sequel.