WTF-1 Discsussion Thread

Zinjo

Talk about pulling a fast one. I believed it was the Macross because I really don't see the reason for the UN to build a ship that's the same as the original Macross. Afterall the SDF-1's configuration and design happened more by necessity than design, the ARMDs attached as an example.

You would have thought they would have learnt by their experience on that ship to go build another ship that would look heck of a lot more different.

Talk about pulling a fast one. I believed it was the Macross because I really don't see the reason for the UN to build a ship that's the same as the original Macross. Afterall the SDF-1's configuration and design happened more by necessity than design, the ARMDs attached as an example.

You would have thought they would have learnt by their experience on that ship to go build another ship that would look heck of a lot more different.

The initial battleship plans for the SDF-2 Megalord were very similar to the Macross. They must have saw some merit in the design otherwise why copy it?

Actually, ship designs do tend to get mass produced. Also, the mass-produced Megaroad design also had the ARMD platforms connected to the sides, in exactly the same way as the original Macross. The original Macross was designed to dock that way with the ARMD platforms, it was intentional, not a spur of the moment necessity.

Also, it's still unclear if the DYRL design is the official look of the SW1 Macross, or if the tv design is, and the DYRL look came about only after its refit. In which case, the DYRL look is significantly different than the orginal, and I could certainly see them building further such vessels that take advantage of what they learned from both the reconstruction of the SDF-1 and the post-war refit.

Of course, that runs headlong in the realm of pure fan speculation.

The initial battleship plans for the SDF-2 Megalord were very similar to the Macross. They must have saw some merit in the design otherwise why copy it?

Perhaps. It's a heck of a lot of investment just to build something that similar in design, though they did ultimately shelved the design. Or so we thought till WTF-1 happened.

Honestly Zinjo, I was just kidding about the MacrossII thing, but it is fun to think about.

On a more serious note, It seems that there is some legitimate operational"Niche" a Macross type ship seems to fill, because they built the New Macross Class ships, and now the Macross Quarter class ship. The NUNS government seems to see a need for them now, and the macross was valuable during SWI. So it is not really surprising to me that there was the same need for a Macross type ship in earlier colonization fleets. Additionally with "New Macross Class ships, there does seem to be some implication of an (old) macross class vessel. So it does not really throw me that there were more Megalord type ships.

So the theory that Zinjo and I were putting forth is supported by episode 13. Macross Class vessels exist.

:)

The Global of the 117th Research Fleet is a Macross Class vessel. It may or may not be the SDF-04, we don't see a Megaroad-03 listed with the SDF-04 designation in the fleet dispersion part of the informational opening of earlier episodes of the series. We also do not see the "SDF" designation on the bridge of the ship. We see "04 Global 117". We do not know if it is the only other Macross Class vessel that was made.

I doubt that it's a fake shell built around the vajra ship. The abandoned vehicles, the picture of young Ranka, and that the X-gear identified it as the Global make it seem more likely that it is real. Plus it seemed like the vajra ship came up from underneath it, from the way it rose into the air then started to fall apart from around the crotch area.

I guess zinjo just found that invisible dragon, and wasn't so out of touch with reality after all. ;)

I guess zinjo just found that invisible dragon, and wasn't so out of touch with reality after all. ;)

I have to admit, you guys really got close on this one. I was convinced that it was going to be the SDF-1, but I never suspected it would be the SDF-4. Or better yet

only the illusion of the original SDF-4 from an ill-fated mission, it seems.

I will say this, episode 13 is fantastic!

I'm just glad it really wasn't the SDF-1. It would have a monumental gimmick to have had the SDF-1 out nowhere without telling us in episode 1. The SDF-1 Macross is too big, too iconic and too important to not mention if it just lifted off, much less crashed/disappeared.

I'm just glad it really wasn't the SDF-1. It would have a monumental gimmick to have had the SDF-1 out nowhere without telling us in episode 1. The SDF-1 Macross is too big, too iconic and too important to not mention if it just lifted off, much less crashed/disappeared.

And that reason is why I harboured much hate for Macross II.

HA!HA! I might have been wrong of saying it was a supervision army ship but atleast I did not persist on speculating it was the SDF-1....! :lol:

And to think some of you wanted to cry because I said it was not the SDF-1.... who's crying and laughing now?! :lol:

Eat that!

have mentioned this in the episode thread, now expanding it:

it doesn't make sense that the WTF-1 is "just a disguise/gimmick" if u consider the fact that:

- we can be sure that there is really a sdf-1 styled ship named "Global" because Alto's X-Gear records recognised it, thus verifying the existence of such a ship.

- Ranka herself gets her flashbacks after seeing it means that she recognizes it sub-consciously. It was indeed a ship from her past (flagship of the 117th Research Fleet).

as for whether the one we see now is the real flagship of the 117th:

- there is a "photo" of young ranka inside it, not to mention the doll lying on the floor and the broken vehicle.

- dont make sense for a disguised ship to have broken vehicles and dolls internally. Ranka's photo is good evidence that the ship had a real past (i.e. not disguised/fake ship).

the queen vajra probably altered it internally to make her hive, so the external parts fall off when it lifted off.

EDIT: new thoughts after re-watching - i realized that the vajra mothership might not be "inside" the WTF-1 Global but rather under it... the "Global" broke up when it was pushed up by the vajra mothership, so we're still unable to determine the size of this thing.

My wack-a-mole theory on the WTF-1:

The SDF-4 is indeed the command/flagship of the 117th fleet. They are either looking for the Vajra or stumble on to them, and the SDF-04, by nature of being a masssive warship, is used to secure and contain a Vajra Queen or pre-Queen for experimentation and study. The Queen gets lose or calls for help at some point and the SDF-4 crashes on the planet after folding away either in an attempt to draw the attackers away from the fleet or by a fleeing Queen. The Queen builds a new nest under the ship or within the, unseen to us, lower levels.

Its very possible this ship was not given the SDF designation, as we know the Megaroad ships inherited it. The Megaroad-03 SDF-4 was launched in 2014 (according to the Compendium).

Edited by Duke Togo

Actually, ship designs do tend to get mass produced. Also, the mass-produced Megaroad design also had the ARMD platforms connected to the sides, in exactly the same way as the original Macross. The original Macross was designed to dock that way with the ARMD platforms, it was intentional, not a spur of the moment necessity.

Also, it's still unclear if the DYRL design is the official look of the SW1 Macross, or if the tv design is, and the DYRL look came about only after its refit. In which case, the DYRL look is significantly different than the orginal, and I could certainly see them building further such vessels that take advantage of what they learned from both the reconstruction of the SDF-1 and the post-war refit.

Of course, that runs headlong in the realm of pure fan speculation.

yeah, it completely makes sense. the SDF-1 suffered some pretty massive damage. Why would they rebuild half of it using essentially "one-off" parts when they could just get the Factory to churn out enough parts to build a few more?

Its very possible this ship was not given the SDF designation, as we know the Megaroad ships inherited it. The Megaroad-03 SDF-4 was launched in 2014 (according to the Compendium).

I have a pet theory/idea that, given the official history at this point*, based on the SDF-2 being rebuilt/retooled into the Megaroad-1. Perhaps most, if not all, of the Megaroads have a SDF type cruiser at their core than can be undocked -- like what we see in M7.

* - Try to avoid the word "canon" and the phrase "official canon", flashbacks to other fandom messageboards.

Edited by ShadowValkyrie

Prove it isn't possible... :lol:

"I don't think aliens or ghosts like black people. We never get abducted; our houses never get haunted. It always happens in rural areas, where no ethnic people live. The day I see somebody from South Central Los Angeles say, 'Man, I got abducted yesterday,' then I'll believe it." – Rapper Xzibit

See, was it so hard to wait a frakin week? :rolleyes:

:lol:

I somehow survived the wait myself. :ph34r:

Anyways, I think its clear now that the WTF-1 IS NOT the SDF-1. So now I'm wondering about the origins of the WTF-1 a.k.a "Global." I've read theories about it being used to imprison a Vajra Queen for research and tests, which is quite possible there are no inhabitants within it. B))

HA!HA! I might have been wrong of saying it was a supervision army ship but atleast I did not persist on speculating it was the SDF-1....! :lol:

And to think some of you wanted to cry because I said it was not the SDF-1.... who's crying and laughing now?! :lol:

Eat that!

Easy now. It's one thing to be right about a speculation, quite another to gloat.

This board has hearty debates all the time and I for one am not interested in turning this place into an adolescent flame arena... <_<

Is there any mention where it colonized?

I thought it might have originated from Eden, but maybe not...

Edited by Zinjo

I have a pet theory/idea that, given the official history at this point*, based on the SDF-2 being rebuilt/retooled into the Megaroad-1. Perhaps most, if not all, of the Megaroads have a SDF type cruiser at their core than can be undocked -- like what we see in M7.

That's what I am wondering. Similar to how there was a Battle 7 and City 7, could the SDF designation refer to an attached battleship?

Alas we have no way to be sure at the moment, since no other documentation exists on these colony fleets past Megaroad 01.

Another thing that makes me wonder is the Galaxy. If that was the galaxy we saw under attack in Bye Bye Sheryl, it seems awfully blocky and huge! Did the Eden ship yards evolve the original Megaroad class and the Earth develop the City ship class?

Questions, questions....

Edited by Zinjo

Easy now. It's one thing to be right about a speculation, quite another to gloat.

This board has hearty debates all the time and I for one am not interested in turning this place into an adolescent flame arena... <_<

Is there any mention where it colonized?

I thought it might have originated from Eden, but maybe not...

The -03 came from Earth, construction began in 2012.

Hmm, Earth is very productive after the Holocaust, they got the cloning facility, Orbital Factories, dozens of colony fleet, all they need is a story telling (OVA, manga, game, novel, I don't care).

If the Global is the 4th Macross type ship, can I assume that the 2nd and the 3rd Macross class ship is on Macross VO? :huh:

IMHO Megaroad is not a Macross class, so basically we got:

- Macross class

- Megaroad class

- New Macross class

- Macross Quarter class

Hmm, Earth is very productive after the Holocaust, they got the cloning facility, Orbital Factories, dozens of colony fleet, all they need is a story telling (OVA, manga, game, novel, I don't care).

If the Global is the 4th Macross type ship, can I assume that the 2nd and the 3rd Macross class ship is on Macross VO? :huh:

IMHO Megaroad is not a Macross class, so basically we got:

- Macross class

- Megaroad class

- New Macross class

- Macross Quarter class

I'm wondering if the Megaroad Class became like the City Class in the NMC era.

The Quarter appears to me to be like a surgical strike carrier, not meant for large capital ship on capital ship engagements like the NMC's are, but smaller cap ship engagements.

Edited by Zinjo

I'm impressed that they went this direction, and a little dissapointed they didn't give more explanation for what was there. But all in all, a great mislead. At the very least, something interesting better come of the information Alto downloaded from the Global's computer.

Aside from that, I obviously concede the multi-Macross class issue, though i was right about it being destroyed :)

I'm impressed that they went this direction, and a little dissapointed they didn't give more explanation for what was there. But all in all, a great mislead. At the very least, something interesting better come of the information Alto downloaded from the Global's computer.

Aside from that, I obviously concede the multi-Macross class issue, though i was right about it being destroyed :)

Gimmick, Keith, it was a gimmick. :)

Kawamori doesn't mind making a retcon to suit his needs for a cliffhanger halfway through the season. :rolleyes:

While I don't think it serves as the battle section of a Megaroad class ship. It kinda does make sense for them to make more Macross class ships, it's iconic and it is a pretty decent design, one they have a bit more experience with. For all we know, there were a handful of these flagships serving with the UNS before they were replaced by the New Macross class. Heck, the ship used to film DYRL could actually have been the Global or any of its sister ships.

Edited by d3v

Alto didn't manage to get anything from that computer - he said data was recently deleted (probably by Brera?)

i think we will not be given more info about the Global in the anime series - its over and done with, but maybe we can hope the explanations will be given in some M Frontier notes/books. :(

Alto didn't manage to get anything from that computer - he said data was recently deleted (probably by Brera?)

i think we will not be given more info about the Global in the anime series - its over and done with, but maybe we can hope the explanations will be given in some M Frontier notes/books. :(

I'm hopeful anyway... B))

So if the SDF-4 Global was attached to the 117th Research fleet, that means there was no colony ship, right?

Here's a bit of pondering for you people, are you sure it's SDF-4? It could be Macross-04 (no "New" part).

So if the SDF-4 Global was attached to the 117th Research fleet, that means there was no colony ship, right?

Probably. The SDF-04 is supposed to have its own city section (similar to our old SDF-1), although limited.

FV

Edited by Final Vegeta