Macross Frontier Episode 12 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 12  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 12 Rating

• Positive (Zentradi! Deculture!)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Pixie Squad is the only Zentradi-love I need)

anyway...we also get in this episode kind of a reason why Luca is in SMS, Mikhael is a competent sniper, Alto is a crazy mofo, Ozma is badass, Bobby is gar, the doctor tomboy (forgot her name) is the doctor, and I guess Luca is there thanks to daddy paycheck and influence, hehehe

i think the new fold booster suddenly appearing is not some kind of gimick, but a significant plot point. somehow the technology for the new fold booster is related to the vajra, which means it is probably related to all the shady behind the scenes dealing going on with leon, grace, bilrer and who knows what else. i think grace or whoever is behind the scenes pulling the strings specifically created this situation to lure LAI to bring out their new top secret fold booster. perhaps they even knew about the sleeping vajra on the planet and planned for ranka to go there and wake up the thing.

The new fold booster doesn't just magically appear either. It's shown on the VF-27 in episode 11 so it sets up a LAI Frontier connection.

Was gonna say this as well. As if a mere crash landing could knock a VF out of comission ^_^ (unless its cannon fodder :ph34r: ).

Man, if its cannon fodder, a mere sneeze could knock out a VF. :lol: :lol:

Taksraven

i think the new fold booster suddenly appearing is not some kind of gimick, but a significant plot point. somehow the technology for the new fold booster is related to the vajra, which means it is probably related to all the shady behind the scenes dealing going on with leon, grace, bilrer and who knows what else. i think grace or whoever is behind the scenes pulling the strings specifically created this situation to lure LAI to bring out their new top secret fold booster. perhaps they even knew about the sleeping vajra on the planet and planned for ranka to go there and wake up the thing.

When Temjin was talking to his men (just after opening the reaction weapons armory), he mentioned something being asleep on the planet... :huh: Temjin somehow knows about it (perhaps thru Agent G?).

I suspect what Agent G ultimately wants is this sleeping treasure (AFOS? queen vajra? or specifically a source producing the purple gems). If Ranka did not come to Galia 4, the zentran rebels will either succeed in their mutiny or most likely all the rebels will be killed by the ship's cannons. Either way, if G knows about the sleeping treasure, why did she want to create a reckus here at Galia 4 and end up getting alot of attention? If she wanted it by herself, she'd not want others to know, and deal with it secretly.

I think Agent G needs a singer to 'wake up' the sleeping treasure. and she needs a reason for the singer to sing. Thus she had to set up such a scenerio and Sheryl's supposed to sing(?) to boost morale. But then why would Temjin say 'everything is going according to plan' after they captured Sheryl? So maybe Sheryl's NOT supposed to sing and her falling ill is also part of the plan.

Next step, she had to send a message of their capture back to Frontier. Who sent that message to Frontier/Luca? Probably Grace. Why? because she knows the LAI has the new booster and its the only way to reach Galia 4 fast in an emergency. Problem is this new booster is still in testing phase and likely not many are produced yet so that the LAI/NUNS/SMS cannot send a bunch of fighters to rescue Sheryl. So she gambles on the chance that Luca, upon receiving the news, will suggest using this new booster and Ranka's charms to salvage the situation at Galia 4.

So if all the above are planned, that means by now G knows that only Ranka has the ability to wake up the sleeping treasure. and Sheryl is not able to do that.

As for the part where Cathy was talking to Leon in a limo (at the start of ep 11), when Cathy asked if the informant is Mr Vilra/Brera, Leon said maybe. Maybe Leon is lying - trying to keep G out of the picture. But if Mr Vilra knows about it too, he could be part of the conspiracy. At this point we don't know if he is in it with G.

Also, the vf-27 had loaded the new booster in ep 11, and took off around the same time as Alto and Sheryl. That means most probably Brera arrived at Galia 4 several days before Alto. What was Brera doing these few days? Liaising with Temjin? Searching for the location of sleeping treasure?

:unsure:

Edited by Shun

Also, the vf-27 had loaded the new booster in ep 11, and took off around the same time as Alto and Sheryl. That means most probably Brera arrived at Galia 4 several days before Alto. What was Brera doing these few days? Liaising with Temjin? Searching for the location of sleeping treasure?

:unsure:

Crawling into the cockpit of the VF-27 as he realized that one of the disadvantages of a cyborg body is that you have to recharge the batteries once in a while... ^_^

So did anybody else catch that Ranka's hair was styled like Mylene in the birthday flight scene with Alto? I thought that was really cute - she was also wearing a helment very similar to hers...

VFTF1

I don't catch the reference? Is Tim Eldred like an HG guy or something? I thought Zents was a neutral term but yes, my snafu on the "reaction" vs "reflex" weaponry bit.

Tim Eldred is a lot of things. He did some Robotech comics back in the day where everything was GRIZZLED and HARDCORE. The men had manly stubble and his version of Yellow Belmont was almost completely unrecognizable. A word like, "Zents" sounds like something from those comics. Honestly, "Zents" is pretty stupid. It's like "Feddy" and "Zeke" from those awful Gundam dubs. Besides, after watching this episode you should know what they're called.

ZENTRAN! ZENTRAN! ZENTRAN! ZENTRAN!

A word like, "Zents" sounds like something from those comics.

Whoa... Now that was extreme...

I've read those comics and believe me... there is not such thing in those. Hell... Sometimes I also use the word when I'm in a hurry (and I've seen plenty of ppl use it as well in these forums). HG didn't use that... :blink:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

anyway...we also get in this episode kind of a reason why Luca is in SMS, Mikhael is a competent sniper, Alto is a crazy mofo, Ozma is badass, Bobby is gar, the doctor tomboy (forgot her name) is the doctor, and I guess Luca is there thanks to daddy paycheck and influence, hehehe

Yes, I suppose Luca's reason for being there is fairly believable. Just think how many times you've seen (or been) a summer intern who was there because of nepotism.

Yes, I suppose Luca's reason for being there is fairly believable. Just think how many times you've seen (or been) a summer intern who was there because of nepotism.

While entirely possible, I think Luca endeavors to be more than the rich kid getting a fun ride. Although you have to admit he hasn't been doing much, mostly sitting there and getting in trouble while others bail him out.

While entirely possible, I think Luca endeavors to be more than the rich kid getting a fun ride. Although you have to admit he hasn't been doing much, mostly sitting there and getting in trouble while others bail him out.

Luca is Nene, and he'll have his day, just like she did.

Luca is Nene, and he'll have his day, just like she did.

What was Nene's day, getting stuck with a paint round by Alto?

ROMANOVA PWNS J00!!!!! :p:D

Indeed. :D

I mean really, look at it. They are the same character, they play the same role. Hell, they both have the same hair color.

Edited by Duke Togo

Ah, if that is a character from Mac7 then that is why I don't know who it is. If from something else, I guess I just forgot.

Ah, if that is a character from Mac7 then that is why I don't know who it is. If from something else, I guess I just forgot.

From Bubblegum Crisis, she was a police officer who was also one of the Knight Sabers vigilantes, and able to get classified police info. In the same way, Luca can acquire special items, though I don't expect him to do it very often. Some fans see Nene as a "lightweight," there to scream and flail wildly at the enemy.

From Bubblegum Crisis, she was a police officer who was also one of the Knight Sabers vigilantes, and able to get classified police info. In the same way, Luca can acquire special items, though I don't expect him to do it very often. Some fans see Nene as a "lightweight," there to scream and flail wildly at the enemy.

Until episode 6!

Ah, not even Macross at all. Well that is why I didn't know who it was. I have watched other animes of course, but I am not really a person who has watched a lot of animes in my lifetime. Lets just say I can count on two hands the number of animes I've watched in my lifetime probably (I'm not going to actually count them though). Anyway thanks for the information.

Bubblegum Crisis 2032 is a classic.

^_^

But it's an older classic from the days before computer generated animation, so you may be excused for not recognizing the name.

No comment on the parallel universe Bubblegum Crisis 2040 series...

Until episode 6!

I thought it was episode 7? Wasn't episode 6 Double Vision?

(i.e. the one with the singer who would have been Priss's replacement character?)

I've been thinking about the earlier comment (sorry, don't remember who said it) that the Zentran rebellion was like a GI Joe battle. At first, I was feeling the same way. The Q-reas stayed on the ground, nobody was hitting anything... I was kind of indignant, b/c Ep1 made it look like we were getting another gritty Macross series. Between all the poor VF-171 pilots and Gillaim, it seemed we would have another SW-1 scale bloodbath on our hands. I'm still a little disappointed that the series has taken a softer touch, but I've been thinking about Temjin's insurrection a little more.

What if it both sides were playing along with the plan? I mean, as agile as the Q-reas are, they could have dispatched the commander & adviser easily. Also, there's gotta be more than 1/2 dozen of those suckers at the base. And why not send out some other Q-reas or Regulds from the ships hangar instead of threatening to obliterate the base? Maybe they were just posturing b/c they were complicit, or b/c they really didn't want to fight...

Also, do you think there's any significance to the name selection in this group? Temjin, Ogodai? Both fairly important Mongols there... Temjin was Genghis Khan's given name, and Ogodai Khan was his heir...

Edited by Kelsain

I've been thinking about the earlier comment (sorry, don't remember who said it) that the Zentran rebellion was like a GI Joe battle. At first, I was feeling the same way. The Q-reas stayed on the ground, nobody was hitting anything... I was kind of indignant, b/c Ep1 made it look like we were getting another gritty Macross series. Between all the poor VF-171 pilots and Gillaim, it seemed we would have another SW-1 scale bloodbath on our hands. I'm still a little disappointed that the series has taken a softer touch, but I've been thinking about Temjin's insurrection a little more.

What if it both sides were playing along with the plan? I mean, as agile as the Q-reas are, they could have dispatched the commander & adviser easily. Also, there's gotta be more than 1/2 dozen of those suckers at the base. And why not send out some other Q-reas or Regulds from the ships hangar instead of threatening to obliterate the base? Maybe they were just posturing b/c they were complicit, or b/c they really didn't want to fight...

Also, do you think there's any significance to the name selection in this group? Temjin, Ogodai? Both fairly important Mongols there... Temjin was Genghis Khan's given name, and Ogodai Khan was his heir...

Interesting, however as much as Temjin had the Queadluun's on his side, Ogodai had the mothership on his side.

I agree that the "battle" was very lame... and "GI Joe" is unfortunately how I'd also have to call it...

But all in all, this is always a flaw in all animated shows to some extent - the "all powerful enemy" becoming not at all that all powerful as the episodes roll on...

Still - good theorizing - I would say that Temjin is/was certainly instigating something based on his radio talk...

But this leads to a question: WHY did he fight Alto with such Zentran flair? If Temjin was just manipulating the crowd towards someone's hidden agenda - why did he attack Alto as if he had believed his own propaganda?

Personally I chalk part of the problem up with the subs - Lunar - my first Lunar sub - seems to have done a good job confusing me. Half the time it was really hard to grasp what the characters were talking about...

but all in all I'm happy with the episode :)

VFTF1

I agree that the "battle" was very lame... and "GI Joe" is unfortunately how I'd also have to call it...

But all in all, this is always a flaw in all animated shows to some extent - the "all powerful enemy" becoming not at all that all powerful as the episodes roll on...

Still - good theorizing - I would say that Temjin is/was certainly instigating something based on his radio talk...

But this leads to a question: WHY did he fight Alto with such Zentran flair? If Temjin was just manipulating the crowd towards someone's hidden agenda - why did he attack Alto as if he had believed his own propaganda?

Personally I chalk part of the problem up with the subs - Lunar - my first Lunar sub - seems to have done a good job confusing me. Half the time it was really hard to grasp what the characters were talking about...

but all in all I'm happy with the episode :)

VFTF1

It's possible then that Temjin isn't fully in on it. All he knows is that he's got some secret backers helping him, but he isn't aware of the big picture.

the person who spilled the most blood is Ranka :lol:

and yes, definitely noticed the likely reference to the Mongolian names. but Macross F's Ogotai is the superior here :wacko: while in Mongol history he's the son :p (usually written Temujin in english for Genghis Khan, but its the same in japanese)

Edited by Shun

That "G.I. Joe battle" didn't seem too out of place to me. I mean, on one hand Ogotai had a battleship armed to the teeth aimed at Temjin's group. On the other hand, Temjin had access to nuclear warheads and a squad of Quaedluuns ready to use them. If either side provoked the other too far, they'd be condemning themselves(and probably everyone, mutually assured destruction FTW) to death.

Damn, in a situation like that I'd implicity avoid mowing down the guys on the other side...

Edited by 00X