Macross Frontier Episode 12 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 12  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 12 Rating

• Positive (Zentradi! Deculture!)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Pixie Squad is the only Zentradi-love I need)

Indeed... Enought with the Megaroad 01/Macross class ship speculation... The Macross ship at the end of Episode 12 is the original Macross... (according to the Episode 13 preview).

Umm, who brought this guy? He's here 5 min and plays at being moderator over a legitimate, flame free debate.... <_<

1 - as i said i imagine the macross world people in the 2050s grew up knowing only the (bastardized) DYRL movie version of the 'history'. and in their minds, hikaru the hero flew a red+black striped 1A. They didn't know Hikaru flew the white+red vf-1J (perhaps they didn't know a 1J exists at all :rolleyes: ) and picked up a second-hand valk from his senpai yadda yadda... so it's natural that if they made any statue or replica, they'd only use the DYRL version. Except maybe the historians who want to be very accurate in their records.

OK, this is assuming that SDFM is "still" the historical depiction of SW1. It has already been floated out there in the CD notes that a TV dramatization of those events has been produced. It has also been stated by Kawamori himself that the VFs in DYRL are the designs he prefers which is why they tend to show up over and over again in various media, since the movie came out in '84.

As for the 1st Generation "Macross Class" ship, the Megalord (Megalord) was being built simultaneously on the moon as the Macross was being restored, from all the tech that was being discovered and used at the time. This is canon.

The speculation is, that after the loss of the first Megaroad colony fleet, that more of these fortresses were built to accompany successive fleets as added protection.

Logically this would account for the New Macross Carriers' existence 40 years later in Mac 7. If such carriers were not beneficial, then why deploy them at all? One could argue that SDF cap ships had accompanied all Megaroad fleets until the launch of the New Macross Class Colony ship in 2038, which integrated the New Macross Carrier into the City ship.

That is over 20 years of Megaroad fleet launches before the New Macross ships were launched. Thus if the UNG felt the need to design and build the NMC, then why did it take them 20 years to figure out there was a need to begin with?

Considering how many deliberate gaps there are in the chronology, I really don't see this idea as any sort of threat to the continuity at all. As a matter of fact, for me, it is more complimentary and it gives the chronology more believability, than not...

Edited by Zinjo

Before MacF we don't know ANYTHING about the existence of NUNS either, so I prefer wait to the next week.

To be fair, NUNS is referenced in Macross II on the walls of some buildings and such (and spelled as 'NUNS' as well), but since that's an alternate story line, I suppose that really doesn't count. However, we can take that to mean that the concept of NUNS has been around since the 90's.

But the next ep preview said it was "First Generation," i.e. built before Frontier, built before VF-X2, built before 7, built before Plus, built before (and during) Zero.

Or can you come up with a definition of "first generation" that means something else...?

"First Generation" is the first generation Macross Class of which there were initially 2. Macross and Megalord according to the Compendium.

Then nothing is stated again as to how many or if anymore where built. This doesn't deny the existence of more, it also doesn't confirm it. We know there were 13 Megaroad Class colony ships, but that is not the same class of ship... Island 1 is a New Macross Class City ship, not the same as the New Macross Class Carrier berthed at it's front.

I am of the opinion episode 13 will establish how many 1st Generation Macross Class SDFs there ultimately were....

To be fair, NUNS is referenced in Macross II on the walls of some buildings and such (and spelled as 'NUNS' as well), but since that's an alternate story line, I suppose that really doesn't count. However, we can take that to mean that the concept of NUNS has been around since the 90's.

Really? Have any screenies, I totally missed that!

Really? Have any screenies, I totally missed that!

I'll try. Give me a few hours. Have to figure out how to do that in Linux since my Windows machine is currently down for the count.

Also have to re-watch to find it.

Edit: Since it would probably make an interesting discussion point, I might just make a separate thread about it once I get a good screenshot. I'll let you know when I'm done though.

Edited by sdf2501

"First Generation" is the first generation Macross Class of which there were initially 2. Macross and Megalord according to the Compendium.

Then nothing is stated again as to how many or if anymore where built. This doesn't deny the existence of more, it also doesn't confirm it. We know there were 13 Megaroad Class colony ships, but that is not the same class of ship... Island 1 is a New Macross Class City ship, not the same as the New Macross Class Carrier berthed at it's front.

I am of the opinion episode 13 will establish how many 1st Generation Macross Class SDFs there ultimately were....

What's the difference between the names Megalord and Megaroad...? And why is there no Megalord entry at the Compendium?

What's the difference between the names Megalord and Megaroad...? And why is there no Megalord entry at the Compendium?

Megalord

The "Megalord" was the battleship, the "Megaroad" was the colony ship built on the Megalord's chassis.

Any other questions? ;)

Edited by Zinjo

In fact, in construction terms, "First generation" implies that exists more of one of her class

But then, we return again to the traslation issue

Exactly with translation being so open we could be seeing a secret project for all we know. As Shun and I have said this debat will have no end until next week. Oh man the war on who was right and wrong will be crazy.

something else popped into my mind concerning the whole issue of ranka being able to quell the riot so seemingly easily. It appears that the zentran reaction to her was much stronger on average than I imagine it would have been to Sheryl's singing.

could this be because Ranka is possibly the first blatantly obvious example of a media celebrity of mixed human/zentran/meltran descent? lets face it, Mylene's mixed heritage was not easily observable - hell her father would have passed for zentran more easily (yes, considering his hair).

Maybe, maybe not.

But based on the advisor's comments, I think everyone's just excited.

Even the Zentran on the base have heard about Ranka. Her appearence in Bird Human is apparently sending out shockwaves even beyond Frontier. So it's combination of...

1.) She's the new and exciting thing that everyone wants to see

2.) It's her very first live concert, so there's additional excitement

3.) Everyone's caught up in her Cinderella story of going from literally a nobody to galaxy-wide fame virtually overnight.

In real life, point #1 tends to get people caught up in the excitement a lot more often than it should. And the rest of it is then able to build on that.

There's even one Zentraedi that gets a nosebleed and then faints a split second later.

It's also possible that the rank-and-file Zentraedi troops in the unit haven't really integrated into human society. In SDF Macross, we see the regular troops basically throwing temper tantrums when fleet morale finally starts to break down due to the influence of Earth culture. It's possible that the rank and file troops in the 33rd Marine Corps aren't much brighter than their compatriots fifty years prior.

Megalord

The "Megalord" was the battleship, the "Megaroad" was the colony ship built on the Megalord's chassis.

Any other questions? ;)

Yes, please. Two, as a matter of fact.

First, the Compendium states that the SDF-2 was planned but never completed. If they completed some later, wouldn't it NOT be listed as "planned"...?

Second, in Japanese, "Megaroad" and "Megalord" (and for that matter, "Megaload") would all be メガロード. Doesn't it seem strange to you that they would essentially call both ships by the same name...? (I guess that's not really an answerable question, it just struck me as really, really odd...)

It's quite possible that the VF-27's internal fold booster has a limited range and needs the external fold booster to extend the fold range.

i guess now that the subs are out, everybody knows that this is LAI's new fold booster technology that is not limited by the fault surfaces (plz everybody T__T... stop using fold dislocation >.<, the correct term is fault surface - u can see it in the CG in ep 6).

which reminds me, this relatively new fold booster technology - could Luca's scanning of the Vajra ship 'fold reactor' in ep 7 helped in its development? what r the differences between the vajra fold reactor and this new fold booster? the amount/mass it can take with it in a fold (fighter sized vs ship-sized)? or other differences? very surprised how fast they can develop the new fold booster if its only due to Luca's readings on that vajra ship.

i guess now that the subs are out, everybody knows that this is LAI's new fold booster technology that is not limited by the fault surfaces (plz everybody T__T... stop using fold dislocation >.<, the correct term is fault surface - u can see it in the CG in ep 6).

I keep trying to say fault surfaces, but it gets hard...

Anyway, new theory. The fold system that disappeared in SDFM came back and randomly folded the Macross out to Gallia 4.

Either that or it's the Bizarro world Macross.

Second, in Japanese, "Megaroad" and "Megalord" (and for that matter, "Megaload") would all be メガロード. Doesn't it seem strange to you that they would essentially call both ships by the same name...? (I guess that's not really an answerable question, it just struck me as really, really odd...)

As far as I know there isn't two different vessels one called "Megaroad" and the other "Megalord" - the japanese name was just a wordplay in the sens that "メガロード" could indeed mean both (juste like Miclone/Micron)

-Sergorn

which reminds me, this relatively new fold booster technology - could Luca's scanning of the Vajra ship 'fold reactor' in ep 7 helped in its development? what r the differences between the vajra fold reactor and this new fold booster? the amount/mass it can take with it in a fold (fighter sized vs ship-sized)? or other differences? very surprised how fast they can develop the new fold booster if its only due to Luca's readings on that vajra ship.

It might be. It's been a while since the episode 7 battle, so it's possible that the LAI scientists have managed to use Luca's scan data to come up with the new booster. My theory was that they got it off of the VF-27 blueprints that Leon received. But reverse engineering it from Luca's scan data is also a possibility.

As far as I know there isn't two different vessels one called "Megaroad" and the other "Megalord" - the japanese name was just a wordplay in the sens that "メガロード" could indeed mean both (juste like Miclone/Micron)

-Sergorn

Well...the Compendium has the SDF-2 Megalord and the Megaroad-01. I remember back when I first saw Perfect Memory, and I thought the SDF-2 was just an unused design for what would later turn out to be the Megaroad-01 (since Perfect Memory came out before Flashback 2012, IIRC). It may have been retconned into existence, but I still don't believe that any were ever built.

And I definitely don't believe that one is sitting on Gallia 4.

Also something to consider. The proposed SDF-2 that became Megaroad-01 was supposed to be almost 3 times larger than the SDF-1, but the WTF-1 looks about the same size as the SDF-1 to me. I still think it is the Macross and some really crazy s**t happened to get it there.

Since animated gifs are going around, can someone make me an animated gif from ep.12 of when Alto pulled his knife and charged at Temjin that I could use for an avatar (it can be sized anyway I guess though since that will resize). Kind of goes against my string of using VF-25G avatars but I want something different and I liked that part.

*conspiracy mode on*

maybe an SDF-1 type cruiser was HIDDEN inside the superstructure of the Megaroad... and this is the remains of the Megaroad fleet. :ph34r:

not really, but nothing will surprise me.

That would surprise me, as its been seen on Earth as late as Macross Plus.

That would surprise me, as its been seen on Earth as late as Macross Plus.

I said not the SDF-1 but a First Generation Macross vessel. Though I truly believe it to be the real Macross.

Our scripts are available at http://ggkthx.org/Scripts/MacF/ if there's anything else you want to check.

Wow I wanted to use your ass in conjunction with my raw... but it looks like the version the timer used lacked the "grand sponsor announcement" so the timing is off after the opening. Damn.

I think this one is more graphic... :lol:

Wow, lol. I found myself laughing into submission on that one. Good catch.

The SDF-1 has always had an air of mystery about it, it's strange origins, how the fold boosters disappeared on the first flight.

My theory is that they returend and some strange fold dislocation happened to the Macross on Macross city causing the SDF-1 to fold itself across the Galaxy. Possibly driven by the clandestine forces behind everything including some proto-culture elements with NUNs and whatever power those crystals have.

Oh yeah, like everybody predicted, this is the time for Alto and Ranka to get together as typical of Macross (Minmey and Hikaru trapped in SDF-1 interior, Hikaru then trapped with Misa as POWs in the TV series, Hikaru and Misa trapped on protoculture ruins of earth in DYRL).

Edited by ComicKaze