YF-19 VS YF-21 FIGHTER DESIGN => YOUR CHOICE

Ghostkiller

your preference  

166 members have voted

1. 1. THE BEST FIGHTER

• YF-19
    • YF-21

I voted for the 19. The reason is that I am not too impressed with the batroid mode of the 21. For me it's just too unbalanced.

That would also explain why I have 4 1/60 19's and one 1/72 21 (soon to be followed by a 1/60 21)

To be honest, I voted for the 21. In fighter mode with the dark blue color it just looks...sinister. However, the 19 in battroid mode looks more agile and less top-heavy than the 21. But since I prefer fighter mode above all else I'm going with the 21.

Edited by shogun029

I voted YF-19 b/c , to me, it looks better between all three modes, while the 21 looks great in fighter, but it's battroid and gerwalk just don't look as good. Plus, i like how the cockpit section is integrated and hidden in battroid on the 19, instead of out front where it can take all the direct hits. The cockpit-out-front-of-the-bot look has become a transforming jet cliche of sorts, so designs like the YF-19, SV-51, VF-25, VF-4, VF-5000, and VF-25 are appealing b/c the cockpit has a more functional use in the transformation as well as being protected by parts of the battroid.

If the 19 and 21 were non-transforming jets, however, I'd have to go with the 21..it's gorgeous, and very reminiscent of its YF-23 inspiration.

Toughie.

Toy form no doubt the YF-21 is probably the most beautiful valk fighter ever. But overall I think the YF-19 has a better balance of looks in all 3 modes. And forward swept wings are cool.

YF-19 for me ;)

On a value side though, the YF-19 has prob the least value of all the recent valks (SV-51, YF-21, VF-0). Accessories are awfully slim the the non-fp one. Wish it at least had some kinda stand or that it came with the FPs...

Too tough to choose. I like them pretty equally. YF-19 got the 'main character' vibe to it, and has a cooler battroid mode. But YF-21 has a lot more charaacter in the design, and mimmicks the look of a Q-Rau, which is a very nice touch. So can't really choose.

Love my YF-19FP and love my YF-21FP.

with FP, I prefer the YF-19. So streamlined and smooth and I see the lines/evolution to VF-19F/S, as well there.

The 21, however, loses much of it's lean stature with teh FP. Naked, it's the bomb, though, and easily my favorite Valkyrie. From the Q-rau roots of Battroid to awesome fighter mode.

I've been lurking for a month or two now, but I feel so strongly about this I have to weigh in!

YF-19 all the way. No question.

This is the valk that got me into Macross in the first place: I saw Macross Plus maybe... 5-6 years ago, and out of the blue I looked into getting a YF-19 toy earlier this year because I just remembered it being so cool! (I'm sure you guys know how it goes after the first one...)

I'm currently looking into a QC-sound Zero.

Wish me luck on that...

P.S.: I always harbored this weird grudge against the 21. No idea why. The 1/60 iteration is quickly wearing that away though.

21 for me.

The hood makes it look like an assassin and its about to stalk something and shoot it in the back by sneaking.

The 19 looks 'heroic'. It's got the overdone samurai shoulder armor hanging off to the sides making it an easier target, the uniboob which doesn't look good in robot mode, and the cowboy hip guns which make a cool weapon but to be honest seems like an afterthought more than anything. Not as good as wrist guns.

I think the 21 has better design as a fighter: the wings and fins can bend, dual gunpods, better armored head turret (robots do not need heads they are not humans!) look more fast and agile than the 19 (and guld is a crappier pilot than dyson so the fighter is what allows him to stay close to him in performance) and do not forget... the best pilots of each race Max and Miria use these (VF-22 which is based on the 21) so it's just like DYRL all over again: max has the blue Qrau and Milia has the Red Qrau. Together they are unstoppable using these new Qrau.

The end result is..

21 is for the elite pilots like gamlin max and milia who are calm under pressure.

The flashy loose canon pilots like hikaru and dyson have the 19 which is slightly crappier than the 21 for most situations. (only 1 gunpod, having to go into robot mode just to change clips - really poor design imo)

I could go into other things like the ability of the 21 to eject its limbs and still be able to fly around in fighter mode, the vectored thrust, brainwave controls etc but that's boring. Best to just say it outclasses the 19 which just wants to look fancy because the person who designed it wants to be different and never got enough attention as a kid. :p Even guld mentioned in the fight against the ghost that he has a better chance of beating it with his superior fighter while dyson should save the girl. Dyson grudgingly agreeing means he knows the unsafe yf-19 is more likley to make a mistake than the more-reliable yf-21 with all the advanced gimmicks it is loaded with. The 19 even has fast packs on the shoulders which don't look practical since it obstructs the view. Yang must have watched evangelion and copied the idea of putting a big lump there. Whereas if you look at the yf-21 is has a slicker and more practical design: it can conceal the weapons in fighter mode better, the limbs are rounded instead of blocky so air flows around it smoother in battroid mode. Canons in its arms make it hard to completely disarm at close range, wings are useful in battroid mode, skinny legs provide less drag in gerwalk mode, it's got better balance since the shield is on either arm in gerwalk whereas the 19 has the shield on 1 side, if one arm gets blown off then jettisoning won't affect the fighter mode etc etc.. 21 is a better design.

The end! :D

Two bad yamato can't make a VF-22. :(

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

21 for me.

The hood makes it look like an assassin and its about to stalk something and shoot it in the back by sneaking.

The 19 looks 'heroic'. It's got the overdone samurai shoulder armor hanging off to the sides making it an easier target, the uniboob which doesn't look good in robot mode, and the cowboy hip guns which make a cool weapon but to be honest seems like an afterthought more than anything. Not as good as wrist guns.

I think the 21 has better design as a fighter: the wings and fins can bend, dual gunpods, better armored head turret (robots do not need heads they are not humans!) look more fast and agile than the 19 (and guld is a crappier pilot than dyson so the fighter is what allows him to stay close to him in performance) and do not forget... the best pilots of each race Max and Miria use these (VF-22 which is based on the 21) so it's just like DYRL all over again: max has the blue Qrau and Milia has the Red Qrau. Together they are unstoppable using these new Qrau.

The end result is..

21 is for the elite pilots like gamlin max and milia who are calm under pressure.

The flashy loose canon pilots like hikaru and dyson have the 19 which is slightly crappier than the 21 for most situations. (only 1 gunpod, having to go into robot mode just to change clips - really poor design imo)

I could go into other things like the ability of the 21 to eject its limbs and still be able to fly around in fighter mode, the vectored thrust, brainwave controls etc but that's boring. Best to just say it outclasses the 19 which just wants to look fancy because the person who designed it wants to be different and never got enough attention as a kid. :p Even guld mentioned in the fight against the ghost that he has a better chance of beating it with his superior fighter while dyson should save the girl. Dyson grudgingly agreeing means he knows the unsafe yf-19 is more likley to make a mistake than the more-reliable yf-21 with all the advanced gimmicks it is loaded with. The 19 even has fast packs on the shoulders which don't look practical since it obstructs the view. Yang must have watched evangelion and copied the idea of putting a big lump there. Whereas if you look at the yf-21 is has a slicker and more practical design: it can conceal the weapons in fighter mode better, the limbs are rounded instead of blocky so air flows around it smoother in battroid mode. Canons in its arms make it hard to completely disarm at close range, wings are useful in battroid mode, skinny legs provide less drag in gerwalk mode, it's got better balance since the shield is on either arm in gerwalk whereas the 19 has the shield on 1 side, if one arm gets blown off then jettisoning won't affect the fighter mode etc etc.. 21 is a better design.

The end! :D

Two bad yamato can't make a VF-22. :(

Amen brother!

One thing though, seems like the YF-19 has got the best engine intake detail so far. It's not just a circular nozzle on a dark surface, but the area surrounding the nozzle is detailed too with grooves and silver paint

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...w/fighter_5.jpg

The added intake detail makes the fighter feel less toyish.

I noticed every other fighter, from the VF-1, VF-0 and SV-51 lacks that detail. I don't have a YF-21 myself, but from the pics, it seems to be detail-less as well?

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...yf21cockpit.jpg

Well, if you want to talk about realism with regards to the intakes and whatnot, how about that big, yawning, gap that sits between the front intakes and the rear engines of the 21 when in gerwalk/oh-god-where-are-my-limbs modes.

The 21 too enclosed for my liking; it's a shell with legs and arms hidden inside. It's a radical departure from previous valkyrie designs and while the fighter mode is extremely elegant, I just can't find it in my heart to like it that much. The 19, on the other hand, is a flying brick with wings and a gooseneck. It's beautiful in a brutish, inelegant kind of way.

The 21 too enclosed for my liking; it's a shell with legs and arms hidden inside.

But doing that provides stealth and keeps things hidden doesn't it? It suits the purpose of a 'deep behind enemy lines' valk that mustn't be allowed to be seen.

19 is great, just looks too radical. Gunpod is too humanoid shaped. Wings being dangerous to pilots who are not used to flying with them. The pointy boob in robot mode getting in the way. (it only looks short when anime magic is used) The yf-21 is radical only in the sense that it uses the new-but-dangerous stretchy skin and brainwave control system.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

In a practical sense, (If I were to be a pilot to fly these things)

I'd rather be on YF-19 because of its incorporated (retracted) pilot seat. That would increase survivability.. or at least increase when compared to FY-21 where pilot seat just hanging out in front (In fact, this is the most protruding point in the battledriod mode from side view). That!, to me, is not the most comfortable position I want to be in.

Now in "Animation" terms, I prefer FY-21 because of its total evolutionary Brain Direct Interface to allow the pilot to operate the fighter with his thoughts alone. That!, my friends, alone win me over YF-19.

Finally in "Toy" terms, I prefer FY-19 over FY-21 even though FY-21 is new to my collection (I always prefer new toys over old). With YF-19 Chest Mod I did, I find FY-19 is more poseable and balanced. I find FY-21 top heavy (Although much improved from old 1/72 scale). I also find that FY-19 serve as better toy for me.

So the final verdict is….. YF-19 over FY-21 by two out of three categories I judged on.

I would not give, trade, share neither one with anyone though, I love them both.

Zebu

i like the YF-21 better in the anime it has potential but what i dont like is that its powered by your mind but in ways i like the YF-21

The 19 has that sleek shape to it as well as those inverted wings to show that its got something underneath it's sleeves which why I always loved it. The 21 has a more dominating power to it and would have looked better with a black and red color scheme to it.

The YF-19 does indeed have "HERO" stamped all over it though.

I was thinking of creating a thread for this - but decided to write it here...

Has anyone ever noticed that the head design of the YF-19 is DIRECTLY based off of Hikaru Ichijo's HELMENT in SDF Macross TV?

I just noticed it a couple days ago when watching and episode of SDF M where we get a shot of Hikaru with Helment from behind and bamo - it's the YF-19!

This got me thinking - looking at the YF-19... does it strike anyone that the entire Battroid is basically designed to look like DYRL flight uniform?

VFTF1

I like the fighter looks of the 21 better and after seeing the 19 in the box in the fighter mode, I didn't find it so great.

Anyway, to make a long story short- I bought the 19 after seeing it in battroid mode on display in another shop.

I like the fighter looks of the 21 better and after seeing the 19 in the box in the fighter mode, I didn't find it so great.

Anyway, to make a long story short- I bought the 19 after seeing it in battroid mode on display in another shop.

I was thinking of creating a thread for this - but decided to write it here...

Has anyone ever noticed that the head design of the YF-19 is DIRECTLY based off of Hikaru Ichijo's HELMENT in SDF Macross TV?

I just noticed it a couple days ago when watching and episode of SDF M where we get a shot of Hikaru with Helment from behind and bamo - it's the YF-19!

This got me thinking - looking at the YF-19... does it strike anyone that the entire Battroid is basically designed to look like DYRL flight uniform?

VFTF1

Cant say I see it myself.....