Macross Frontier News Thread III *Read 1st post*

azrael

The new August 2008 issue of Hobby Japan magazine (out today), has the first published lineart for the VF-25 and also the first CG art of the Cheyenne II Destroid.

See the pics below.

I really hope somebody can translate all the text on the VF-25 lineart page.

Graham

post-11-1214310913_thumb.jpg

post-11-1214311010_thumb.jpg

The new August 2008 issue of Hobby Japan magazine (out today), has the first published lineart for the VF-25 and also the first CG art of the Cheyenne II Destroid.

See the pics below.

Graham

Great lineart, I'm sure more than a few of us are now probing these scans for every bit of info we can gleam from it.

A few observations, is that a hinge on the small winglet in the leg, does that mean that it folds inside into the leg as previously speculated? Also, am I seeing missile launchers on the shoulders of the Cheyenne II?

Edited by d3v

Thanks for the scans.

Quickie translations:

clockwise from upper left:

Body Side

Knee Armour

Laser Gun Unit Side - what you see in Battroid mode in the upper chest (?) area. When in fighter, it's on the left and right.

Waist

Shield

Leg/Engine Part Interior

Leg/Engine Part

Thanks for the scans.

Quickie translations:

Laser Gun Unit Side - what you see in Battroid mode in the upper chest (?) area. When in fighter, it's on the left and right.

Interesting, I thought the lasers were on the hips in battroid mode, same position as on the SV-51.

Graham

Also, am I seeing missile launchers on the shoulders of the Cheyenne II?

Yes. It looks like they've combined the weapon loadouts seen in Macross 0.

The text says something about being equipped with a machine gun and a large cannon and missiles. According to the past armed usage of the destroids, the Shaian II can be said to possibly have a wider type of operation.

Interesting, I thought the lasers were on the hips in battroid mode, same position as on the SV-51.

Graham

I think it still does, the image seems to be the what the whole assembly looks like in fighter mode. You can see what seem to be connecting joints for the legs in both drawings. That, and it matches what we see on the side of the "hips" in what we've seen of the VF-25s Battroid mode.

Graham

oop. Mistranslated. Here's the entire blurb:

"Seemingly, the laser gun unit that has placed to the upper part of the thigh at Batoroid from the other side. It adheres outside of the airframe right and left at the fighter. "

The Cheyenne II appears to have a six-barrelled gattling type cannon on each arm (perhaps 35mm caliber same as in Mac Zero?), with a large bore single barreled cannon or some type (possibly an energy weapon) underneath.

I'd say there's a 99% chance those are missile launchers on the left and right shoulders. Each launcher appears to have 4 cells.

Graham

"Seemingly, the laser gun unit that has placed to the upper part of the thigh at Batoroid from the other side. It adheres outside of the airframe right and left at the fighter. "

Ah, thanks, that makes better sense now.

Graham

Cool! Thanks Graham!

I'm liking the Cheyenne2. It takes a lot of the best destroid elements. You've got the variable legs and vulcan cannons of the original Cheyenne, built-in missile launchers like the Phalanx and the BIG arm cannons of the Tomahawk. I wonder if it has hands on the back of the arms like the Cheyenne. All it's missing is some wicked gun clusters...

As for the Quarter Pounder, I still really like the attacker mode... But I'm disappointed with the cruiser mode. I just think they could have integrated the arms and the legs a little better, maybe given it more of a Meltrandi Gunship silhouette. Right now, it just looks kinda like an asymmetrical White Base with wimpy struts connecting the main engines. It does, however, seem to spend most of its time with those legs tucked into Island1, so it's not bugging me THAT much.

As for the Quarter Pounder, I still really like the attacker mode... But I'm disappointed with the cruiser mode. I just think they could have integrated the arms and the legs a little better, maybe given it more of a Meltrandi Gunship silhouette. Right now, it just looks kinda like an asymmetrical White Base with wimpy struts connecting the main engines. It does, however, seem to spend most of its time with those legs tucked into Island1, so it's not bugging me THAT much.

Hmm, calling it a Quarter Pounder makes me wonder if it'll be referred to as the Macross "Royale with Cheese" in France. :ph34r:

Edited by d3v

i'm liking the wheels on the cheyenneII. i suppose it has a "rolling" mode where the legs fold into a tank like configuration ala some of the mechs in armored core. RC cheyenne, anyone?

Those wheels makes me wish that it could transform into an actual tank of sorts.

Those wheels makes me wish that it could transform into an actual tank of sorts.

hmmm... let's see , the 4 legs (or feet joints) when splayed will resemble the chassis on the CnC3 mammoth tank, and the cheyenne's got 2 sets of gun arms, again like the double barreled mammoth...

The Cheyenne looks like its a multipurpose destroid, combining all the elements of the original Cheyenne, with elements of the Tomahawk and the Defender on a single chassis. It would certainly reduce production costs and provide an "all in one" ground unit for NUNS. The only unit not represented in it is the Spartan which was mostly a close combat destroid and that role has essentially been taken over by the VFs anyway.

The wheels remind me of the Destroid IIs from Mac II, which provided faster mobility to the units.

However I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a transformation for it, just yet. If there are wheels on the back of the calves or thighs, it could very well transform it's base into a rolling gun platform.

Well unfortunately Miyatake wasn't available to design her, so we have to live with what we got... :p

BTW, anybody want to pick up Continue magazine vol. 40? Seems like they might have a few production notes. (It's noted in the MF blog)

continue_02.jpg

I want a scan of that cover art...NICE!

looks like the Cheyenne has also taken some more of the Tomahawk's weapon load. Could those be beam cannons mounted underneath the Gatling gun?

I always thought those were cannons, not beam guns on the Tomahawk.

That means the beam cannon must be the one on the head.

FV

I always thought those were cannons, not beam guns on the Tomahawk.

nope they are beam cannons. I thought they where too but i watched Robotech and they are beam weapons. The remastered edition did the Destreroids some justice.

See the pics below.

Graham

Cool! Thanks for sharing the goods. Although I'm still a bit suprised they haven't shown more of the VF-25 line-art (or other mecha for that matter). Still good stuff. B))

BTW, anybody want to pick up Continue magazine vol. 40? Seems like they might have a few production notes. (It's noted in the MF blog)

continue_02.jpg

mine just shipped today, I hope to get it in a few days...

I want a scan of that cover art...NICE!

http://pds8.egloos.com/pds/200806/05/50/c0...4778f874913.jpg

Zinjo...here's a bigger pic of cover

Edited by paper2k1

nope they are beam cannons. I thought they where too but i watched Robotech and they are beam weapons. The remastered edition did the Destreroids some justice.

I hate to break the news to ya son, but Robowreck has no relevance in the Macross World... B))

However in the Macross Compendium Officially endorsed English resource of the Macross Universe, that bad boy has:

2 x Mauler PBG-11 liquid-cooled electrically-charged particle beam gun

http://macross.anime.net//mecha/united_nat...br04/index.html

Any resemblance of Robowreck to Macross is purely piracy on the part of Harmony Gold...

Edited by Zinjo

I hate to break the news to ya son, but Robowreck has no relevance in the Macross World... B))

However in the Macross Compendium Officially endorsed English resource of the Macross Universe, that bad boy has:

2 x Mauler PBG-11 liquid-cooled electrically-charged particle beam gun

http://macross.anime.net//mecha/united_nat...br04/index.html

Any resemblance of Robowreck to Macross is purely piracy on the part of Harmony Gold...

I was going to say that, hehehe...

Well unfortunately Miyatake wasn't available to design her, so we have to live with what we got... :p

He didn't design the Quarter? Who did it then?

Why is Miyatake's name in the staff if he's not designing their cap ships?

I've got it on preorder from amazon jp.

Will do a nice big scan when it arrives.

Graham