Macross Mikimoto drawing sold for $3,100

Shawn

Go here:

http://aucfan.com/search1?x=42&y=11&am...%a5%b9&o=p2

At the top is the link that takes you here:

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n60426051

I'm just amazed. That is a lot of money for any drawing-even a Mikimoto one! Wonder what other items the winner has in their collection.

But on the other hand, if I had $1000, I would have been all over this one

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h63766313

Nice!

Shawn

Go here:

http://aucfan.com/search1?x=42&y=11&am...%a5%b9&o=p2

At the top is the link that takes you here:

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n60426051

I'm just amazed. That is a lot of money for any drawing-even a Mikimoto one! Wonder what other items the winner has in their collection.

But on the other hand, if I had $1000, I would have been all over this one

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h63766313

Nice!

Shawn

It's all about the aviator sunglasses...

I just don't think I could bring myself to be *that* otaku...

I watched that one live; it was rather exciting.

As for the price, it may be high, but:

- It's a 3-piece set

- It's a huge close-up (see the CD for reference)

- It's Minmay

As long as it's Minmay, it'll fetch a high premium.

What's interesting though is that the winner is the one who broke the seller's steep reserve of Y170,000. What's odd, though, is that the same seller had similar Hikaru and Misa 2-piece sets that were reserved at Y210,000 and Y160,000, respectively. Hikaru being worth more than Minmay is rather odd, but it's possible the seller wanted to move his final piece (Minmay), as the first two never met their reserved prices.

What's scary is that the presumed main competitor won about $500, give or take (or maybe more), of assorted Macross TV cels an hour or so earlier that night (5 of the 7 cel/sketch auctions), so that gives you an insight into the amount of money some of these collectors have.

As for the winner's collection, you can click on his feedback and check the most second most recent feedback for a sample (the most recent being this one). Browsing the feedback list, you can see he's primarily focused on Macross, but Yahoo! Japan has removed links to the older auctions. From what I've seen, this collector bids on fewer items (arguably on more exclusive, high-end items) and is willing to dish out, though he does lose a fair bit.

Edited by veffidas

If he has a spare 3,100 USD to put down on that, then basicalyl 3,100 USD has to be like chump change for him :)

After all - most of us can and do spend sums of money like that - but not on this...we would say "gee, for three thousand bucks you could geta collection of 1/48s, a lot of SOCs etc etc"

But if our monthyl operating budget on discretionary hobby spending was - say - 50,000 USD rather than, say, one thousand USD... then suddenly putting 3 thousand down on this is the equivalent of you or me buying a pack of gum because it has Ranka on it :)

VFTF1

I am a cel collector myself and I also did bid on that drawing... although I lost. From my perspective, who doesn't collect toys, these cels are worth a lot more to me and I am willing to bid rather far to snatch one of these truly unique (one of a kind) item for my collection. Better luck next time... I ended up winning this one instead (listed on the same link) in the same week.

post-4522-1213700270_thumb.jpg

I am a cel collector myself and I also did bid on that drawing... although I lost. From my perspective, who doesn't collect toys, these cels are worth a lot more to me and I am willing to bid rather far to snatch one of these truly unique (one of a kind) item for my collection. Better luck next time... I ended up winning this one instead (listed on the same link) in the same week.

That IS a very nice one...just looking at it makes the music from that scene start echoing in my head...

From my perspective, who doesn't collect toys, these cels are worth a lot more to me and I am willing to bid rather far to snatch one of these truly unique (one of a kind) item for my collection.

post-4522-1213700270_thumb.jpg

I don't collect cels, but I do consider them to be works of art, therefore I don't see any problem in people paying thousands of dollars for them. Btw, that's a great collection you have there valkyrie13.

I've been trying to get a screencap from DYRL with Lum-chan on Max's VF-1A, however, IT's pretty hard as it's only on screen for less than a second. This is the closest I got.

post-8290-1213791075_thumb.jpg

Here's the same shot with an arrow pointing at Lum.

post-8290-1213791081_thumb.jpg

it happened in one of the 3 Macross 7 Dynamite "OVA" released after Macross 7, I quoted the OVA cause they were basically just lost episodes never aired, I think the episode is called fleet of the strongest women,

the Macross 7 fleets bumps with renegade Meltran fleet and Max and Milia go to the capital ship and kissed to culture shock them, but didn't work, so Basara starts singing his stupid songs and drive the Meltran wild and throw their pantys at him

oh yes, by the way, just click on the first link and scroll down and you'll see the sketch in question

nice post Shawn ^_^

Edited by Valkyrie addict

it happened in one of the 3 Macross 7 Dynamite "OVA" released after Macross 7, I quoted the OVA cause they were basically just lost episodes never aired, I think the episode is called fleet of the strongest

"Fleet of the Strongest Women" is generally considered just an unaired/unbroadcasted episode. It's actually still part of the core Macross 7 franchise (usually bundled with the two main "Encore" episodes) and not Dynamite 7; see: http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macross_7_Encore .

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this to highlight another amazing auction (pair). The star of the auction Shawn posted lost out this time on some Misa genga - to a buyer who took both auctions tonight:

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n61871123 - Up close of Misa gasping: 102,000 Yen (roughly $950 USD)

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b90127805 - Misa listening for Hikaru: 285,000 Yen (roughly $2,600 USD)

Needless to say, I'm envious of the seller's and bidders' wallets and the winner's loot.

Oh, and someone's asking far a minimum of 1,000,000 Yen (~ $9,280 USD) at a different auction site for this circa March '82 Mikimoto sketch:

mikimotosketchki9.jpg

Now, that is ludicrous.

I'm not sure genga should go for that much. It's fairly unusual to see them priced that high, particularly since they're not the finished cel but the underlying work for it.

As for the sketch wow... I'll be interested to see if people bite. that's really not a fully rendered drawing...

• 1 year later...

That's certainly a great deal at ~$167 (reprint book & poster, and autograph, in NM condition).

Of course, the sketch itself (or total package) wouldn't be anywhere near as valuable as the topic starter (which was an actual DYRL production genga piece, if I remember correctly), assuming this was at least partially the reason the question was asked.

Did you have a sketch of Mikimoto's as well? If so can you post it?

Actually Im not looking to sell this. I just wanted to know if it was real. If someone had a Mikimoto autograph/sketch that looked like this. I was comparing it to the ones in this thread and while the autograph looked authentic...the sketch didnt match the others here. I was wondering if someone else had a sketch that was comparable. If it was fake maybe Im out $60?

For the value being in the $1k's...I dont think so. I was looking for a gold book and now I found one. This one being autographed just means I will probably never sell it...or at least not sell it for a really long time.

That's certainly a great deal at ~$167 (reprint book & poster, and autograph, in NM condition).

Of course, the sketch itself (or total package) wouldn't be anywhere near as valuable as the topic starter (which was an actual DYRL production genga piece, if I remember correctly), assuming this was at least partially the reason the question was asked.

If you're looking for confirmation, as Beltane70 said, it's his style and autograph sure enough, so it's more than likely that it's real. He's talented enough that it would be pretty hard to forge his work.

You could try to check that it's not laser printed on or anything by checking that the marker strokes bled through the page, though I'm pretty sure already you have a real deal.

If you're looking for confirmation, as Beltane70 said, it's his style and autograph sure enough, so it's more than likely that it's real. He's talented enough that it would be pretty hard to forge his work.

You could try to check that it's not laser printed on or anything by checking that the marker strokes bled through the page, though I'm pretty sure already you have a real deal.

We actually pm'ed each other about this.

If anyone's interested, here's a Mikimoto autograph that I have in one of his art books:

post-1431-1269980157_thumb.jpg

I also have my Gold book autographed by Mikimoto. It's without a sketch, though.

Edited by Beltane70