Nyan Fro Liner Notes

Gubaba

So I finally got off my duff and started translating the OST 1 liner notes. Most of it is relatively easy to understand, but I'm somewhat baffled by the last bit here about "Sheryl style" and "Mijinko style." If anyone wants to help out, I'd be grateful...and of course, I'll have more of it up soon.

Nyan Fro. Liner Notes

Nayn Fro is a nickname for “Nyan Nyan Frontier.”

This album collects nothing but the hottest hits from some of the girls of Frontier. [Translation note: the Japanese character used for “Nyan” is the same as is used for “girls”]

The following two people will speak:

Elmo Kridanik

Supervisor at the Entertainment Business Office, Vector Promotion. He is also a music critic. Hereafter referred to as E).

Carmen Oyamashita (Dai-Charisma Criticism)

Active on board Frontier. Self-professed Sheryl look-a-like. Hereafter referred to as C).

01. Frontier 2059

E) The music carries the theme of Frontier Now! Well, doesn’t it? I think the orchestra is the Frontier Symphony Orchestra. It really stirs up the opening of the album, doesn’t it?

C) Wasn’t it the theme for Frontier News…? Huh? It wasn’t? Oh.

02. Welcome To My FanClub’s Night! (Sheryl On Stage)

E) Originally from 2058 Galaxy Live. Including this tour, this song is always the opening, and “What ‘bout my star” always follows it in performance. It’s a fixed set. The first night of her Frontier sets has so far been the only exception. A plausible rumor that has been whispered is that the setlist was quickly changed because Sheryl took offense to the promotion side’s request that some amateur pilots appear on stage with her.

C) At the concert the other day at Tenkumon Hall, of course I also witnessed that historic moment of the century. Usually at Sheryl’s concerts, this song is first. During the call of S.O.S. (Sheryl On Stage), everyone is sure to be pumping his or her fist.

03. What ‘bout my star? (Sheryl On Stage)

E) Sheryl’s fourth single, released in July 2057. From the same concert as the previous track. It’s magnificently preformed, of course, but you should also please give a listen to Miss Ranka later on the album…

C) “Suddenly, what about my star?” is the question attack asked by this surreal pop dance music. Of course, it was a big hit on Frontier and many other places. Sheryl has an almost dizzying glamour. Now, I’m only speaking for myself, but for people who live in space, between the Sheryl style and the Mijinko style, if asked which one, I’d go for Sheryl style. I feel a little bashful about it, though. Certainly, our ways of life are pretty similar, so I feel pretty sympathetic towards her.

Edited by Gubaba

So I finally got off my duff and started translating the OST 1 liner notes. Most of it is relatively easy to understand, but I'm somewhat baffled by the last bit here about "Sheryl style" and "Mijinko style." If anyone wants to help out, I'd be grateful...and of course, I'll have more of it up soon.

Could it be read as "Sheryl's style"?

Could it be read as "Sheryl's style"?

Well, it's "Sheryl kei" (シェリル系)...which I've only ever seen in terms like "Visual kei" and "Shibuya kei," where it's not a possessive...

And I'm guessing that Minjiko is another singer on the Galaxy Network Charts (or the Universal Board, as they appear to be calling it now), but I'm by no means sure.

Page 2 (of 4). This is where it begins to get a little juicy...

04. Sagittarius 9:00 PM Don’t Be Late

E) From the 2059 Frontier concert at Tenkumon Hall. When this, Sheryl’s fifth single, was released in November of 2058, it stayed at the top of the Universal Board for 17 straight weeks, shattering the records for the biggest of big hit songs. At the time of its release, a rift was created inside the fan club out of jealousy between the fans born in Sagittarius and those born elsewhere. The split got more and more intense until finally the fan club divided into two factions. By the way, the Tenkumon Hall concert was originally scheduled for March First, but because of the effects of fold dislocation, the communication between Sheryl’s side and the promotion side wasn’t good, so the result was that the preparations for the concert were done at the last minute, and it was postponed until March Second. So the concert poster’s date was incorrect, and the staff had one day to correct all of the posters by hand.

C) Young or old, men or women, everybody knows this song. In the club, when that “Motte-ke!” hits, even I start dancing while holding a folding fan…I don’t believe it, I never thought Sheryl would come to us on Frontier! The living, breathing Sheryl! Oh yeah, I also got the poster, but it’s the corrected version. I think the uncorrected ones are pretty rare.

05. Vital Force

E) Such a brave sound for the orchestra! Did they use this one for some kind of military ceremony? I’m sorry, I don’t think classical style music is terribly cheery.

C) …Crunch, crunch, crunch (currently eating a Zentradi carrot snack.)

06. Triangler

E) The theme song for “Triangler,” the MBS trendy drama depicting the lives of Lt. Hikaru Ichijo, Captain Misa Hayase, and Lynn Minmay, the heroes of Space War I. Among other things, the opening “Ki~mi wa~da~re~to~ki~su o su~ru~” [“Who are you going to kiss”] won the Popular Saying Grand Prize, making it a true social phenomenon. The singer, Sacamotomaaya, is an up-and-coming Zentradi Musical actress.

C) Anybody see the final episode?

07. Zero Hour

E) The theme music for the Documentary Show “Passionate Runner.” …It’s got that kind of feeling, right?

C) I just want to say that one time at “Big Akemi,” a bar at the Zentradi Mall, I sat next to the songwriter for this track.

08. What ‘bout my star @Formo

E) Miss Ranka’s voice is truly full of love, isn’t it~~~? Miss Ranka got her big break singing the ending theme for the motion picture “Bird Human,” and also was a pioneer of the “Guerilla Street Live” at Formo, the shopping mall inside Island Three. At that time and place, the Sales Robots and passers-by who happened to be there recorded some precious live music footage on the cell-phone cameras. When I approached Sheryl’s camp to gain permission to include this take on the album, Sheryl herself said, “Because it’s my song, I want to make it more stylish,” and she took the master and made this “completed” version. It looks like the version with only our Miss Ranka has been erased. It’s truly regrettable.

C) Hey, wow, isn’t this the legendary guerilla live song? It’s amazingly rare, right? Yeah, totally.

Edited by Gubaba

I love how "Triangular" is now the theme song to a SDFM TV series, forshadowing for real life? Makes one wonder.... first time that idea has ever been floated about in the Macross universe....

wow, this is so COOL!! to think that triangler is actually theme song for the minmei-hikaru-misa love triangle. haha!! genius!! :)

this just gives the song an entirely new meaning whenever i hear it again. sugoi! :)

and maaya sakamoto is a zentraedi. brilliant! :)

Thanks for the posts, gubaba!

(btw, i wonder what elmo kridanik's relation is to the great lord breetai. if there is none, it still funny how a name as fearsome as Vrlitwhai suddenly becomes an "elmo".hehe.)

and, oh.... WHERE DO I GET A COPY OF THAT "MBS TRENDY DRAMA"??? :(

Edited by dreamweaver13

wow, this is so COOL!! to think that triangler is actually theme song for the minmei-hikaru-misa love triangle. haha!! genius!! :)

this just gives the song an entirely new meaning whenever i hear it again. sugoi! :)

and maaya sakamoto is a zentraedi. brilliant! :)

Thanks for the posts, gubaba!

(btw, i wonder what elmo kridanik's relation is to the great lord breetai. if there is none, it still funny how a name as fearsome as Vrlitwhai suddenly becomes an "elmo".hehe.)

and, oh.... WHERE DO I GET A COPY OF THAT "MBS TRENDY DRAMA"??? :(

The same place you'd get the "Sheryl-less" version of "What 'bout my star @Formo," I suppose... :rolleyes:

And yeah...Maaya Sakamoto's name was written out in katakana in the liner notes...so I ran it all together and changed the "k" to "c" to make it seem less like a Japanese name. Not sure how well that worked, though.

on another note, whose point of view do you think triangler was written from? minmei or misa?

i'm guessing minmei. and in that aspect... ouch. poor minmei! :(

Really? I was assuming it's Misa, just because she seemed A) to love Hikaru more, and B) more insecure about it. But who knows how they're portrayed in the Drama...judging from past in-universe macross productions, historical accuracy doesn't seem to be a high priority on any producer's mind...

Part 3's almost done. I had to take a breather from the Nyan Nyan CM. Incidentally, I was looking at the "glossary" section of macross 7 Docking Festival and they mention there that Nyan Nyan became a chain. And you'll never guess who the manager (circa 2045) is...

Minmay's little cousin Yotchan! :lol:

Edited by Gubaba

The same place you'd get the "Sheryl-less" version of "What 'bout my star @Formo," I suppose... :rolleyes:

And yeah...Maaya Sakamoto's name was written out in katakana in the liner notes...so I ran it all together and changed the "k" to "c" to make it seem less like a Japanese name. Not sure how well that worked, though.

Really? I was assuming it's Misa, just because she seemed A) to love Hikaru more, and B) more insecure about it. But who knows how they're portrayed in the Drama...judging from past in-universe macross productions, historical accuracy doesn't seem to be a high priority on any producer's mind...

Part 3's almost done. I had to take a breather from the Nyan Nyan CM. Incidentally, I was looking at the "glossary" section of macross 7 Docking Festival and they mention there that Nyan Nyan became a chain. And you'll never guess who the manager (circa 2045) is...

Minmay's little cousin Yotchan! :lol:

haha. WOW. what a reveal! :) and if ever the MBS drama ever went into the real details of how hikaru and minmei met for the first time, we need look no further than nyan nyan's manager to know who the Source was.

"Yes, i was there, that fateful day. it was magic.....i almost died, by the way, coz your "war hero" is as clumsy as hell with a valkyrie." :lol:

hmm... still feels like minmei for me. after all, misa is the one who ended up with hikaru in the end. so utlimately, in asking "who will you kiss?", the answer was the "other woman", as opposed to the sad soul singing the song. awww... :(

and the clincher for me is this line: "how you’ll protect me but won’t be with me". hikaru has always been her knight in shining armor. in fact, that was his promise in the last episode. "i fight because i want to protect you (and the city)".... but in the end, he isn't with her.

i wouldn't be surprised if shoji kawamori had said to gabriel robin/KY: "ok this is what happened in the last episode. this is how their love triangle ended. i want you to compose the song that minmei would have in that situation as she was walking away, that song that hikaru and misa was, figuratively, hearing. (Oh, and yes, never mind that that song already exists, actually. just make a new one)." hehe. :p

Okay, screw the Nyan Nyan CM notes. I'll finish 'em tomorrow. Here's Part 3 (of 4...maybe 5, if I'm lazy tomorrow).

09. Innocent Green

E) Isn’t the theme of some trendy love drama? And I think the Frontier Symphony Orchestra is playing on it.

C) Oh yeah, I know that composer…super popular…uh, I forget the name…

10. Aimo

E) Composer Unidenitfied. Outside of Ranka Lee singing it whenever she feels like it, this song is unknown. Later, it was expanded into the ending theme for the film, “Bird Human.” This take is a demo created for the production of the version of the song heard in the film. This is the most precious version. Ranka Lee’s Super Dimension Cinderella Story all started here.

C) Sorry, but this song reverberates through my body strangely. It’s disturbing feeling. I’d rather listen to Sheryl sing anytime.

11. Big Boys

E) Is this from some army movie soundtrack?

C) Excuse me, is it okay if I blow my nose?

12. Private Army

E) A little bit of an ethnic feel here, must be the writer’s taste…

C) …Yeah, that’s right! I’ve heard that the composer is some kind of alien we haven’t seen before.

13. SMS Squadron Song ~ That Chick’s an Alien

E) Exactly why this song was made and how they got a squadron to sing it is entirely unknown, but it’s a song that a drunk, macho group that hang around the bars in the vicinity of Frontier Ave. in San Francisco like to sing a lot. It’s got quite a bit of wasted energy, but it’s remarkably lacking in refinement, isn’t it? Why it’s even on this album is also unknown.

C) Oh…this is…wow. I’m entranced. I can’t resist the macho-ness (is it the literary style nowadays?) of the ésprit…I recognize it. It’s a myself-ish deculture!

14. Carrot Loves you yeah!

E) The campaign song for the “Seven-color Carrots,” giant vegetables meant for the Zentradi, as sung by our Miss Ranka Lee at Formo, the aforementioned Zentradi mall. The carrot on her head and the full-body tights were pretty cute, weren’t they?

C) Oh, yeah, wow…our whatever whatever Miss Ranka was still a real nobody when she sang this treasure. The memory is still fresh of trading valuable pictures of the carrot headgear to Wednesday Magazine [Cultural note: In Japan, Friday Magazine is a scandal tabloid]. After getting her song selected for that movie, it seems like she’s gotten popular really quickly, but still…Hmph. Oh well, she’s cute enough, I guess.

Okay, screw the Nyan Nyan CM notes. I'll finish 'em tomorrow. Here's Part 3 (of 4...maybe 5, if I'm lazy tomorrow).

You know, I'm curious to know Sheryl's take on having 5 songs included on this album...

For that matter I kind of wonder if #12 isn't a playful jab at Yoko Kanno... I think Private Army is my favorite non vocal track on the album thus far but I'm a sucker for the Flamenco style.

Regardless, appreciated on the translations Gubaba.

You know, I'm curious to know Sheryl's take on having 5 songs included on this album...

For that matter I kind of wonder if #12 isn't a playful jab at Yoko Kanno... I think Private Army is my favorite non vocal track on the album thus far but I'm a sucker for the Flamenco style.

Regardless, appreciated on the translations Gubaba.

And Sheryl also worked over Ranka's version of "What 'bout my star," so she's got five tracks as a singer and at least one as a producer...

And Carmen seems to talk A LOT about the composers of the instrumental tracks. I think all of them are referring to Yoko Kanno, which is why I took pains to leave them gender-neutral...

haha. WOW. what a reveal! :) and if ever the MBS drama ever went into the real details of how hikaru and minmei met for the first time, we need look no further than nyan nyan's manager to know who the Source was.

"Yes, i was there, that fateful day. it was magic.....i almost died, by the way, coz your "war hero" is as clumsy as hell with a valkyrie." :lol:

"And by the way... the part where I peed my pants is off the record. You publish it and you will NEVER eat at my chain again!"

hmm... still feels like minmei for me. after all, misa is the one who ended up with hikaru in the end. so utlimately, in asking "who will you kiss?", the answer was the "other woman", as opposed to the sad soul singing the song. awww... :(

But consider that the song is from before the resolution of the triangle.

For most of the series, Minmay was the one with access to Hikaru.

Misa was the "old lady" on the bridge, and he rarely socialized with her.

and the clincher for me is this line: "how you'll protect me but won't be with me". hikaru has always been her knight in shining armor. in fact, that was his promise in the last episode. "i fight because i want to protect you (and the city)".... but in the end, he isn't with her.

He's not entirely indifferent to Misa either. Starting all the way back at Bye-Bye Mars, shortly after he enlists, he has a long list of rescues, often at great risk to his own health. He charges into an exploding base on Mars, launches the untested FAST pack prototype, flies into a collapsing Grand Cannon, charges into an alien spaceship and engages in 1-on-1 combat with the enemy commander after her recon mission goes wrong... and most dramatically(IMO) during their escape from captivity, when he gets a rack of zentradi rifles dumped on him, then crawls out from under the pile and fires one to save her from recapture.

They even make reference to this proud history when he picks up her radio broadcast from the Grand Cannon.

His protection of Minmay is, by comparison, usually far less personal.

Excepting the post-war rescue from Kamjin and a handful of pre-enlistment accidents, she's just a face in the crowd, while he defends the entire population. He nearly gets her killed a few times too, which he NEVER does with Misa.

And for most of the series, Misa is the one on the outside. He's protecting her, while seeing Minmay(in the public eye anyways, no doubt helped along by "My Boyfriend's a Pilot").

I can more easily see it from Misa's angle.

It could be a mish-mash of both of them, though.

Or the fictional drama it's allegedly written for might be so out in left field that we can't make any meaningful comparison. It could be Kakizaki singing. Think about THAT for a minute. :p

Or the fictional drama it's allegedly written for might be so out in left field that we can't make any meaningful comparison. It could be Kakizaki singing. Think about THAT for a minute. :p

wow. the clouds suddenly parted and... enlightenment. it WAS kakizaki all along! :lol:

damn you for making me laugh this hard in front of my PC. :)

i try to see it from misa's side, but i just can't. it's a matter of perspective, i guess. as you pointed out, from what point in the love triangle was the song made from? if it's during the triangle, when hikaru was still so hung up on minmei, then i guess maybe i can see it as misa's song. but if it's from the end or the resolution, then it screams MINMEI.

my perspective? the song just has more "oomph" if it comes from the side that lost in the end. the side that won't actually get the guy (or girl) in the end. i can't explain it any further than that, i guess.

hey guys don't get me wrong, i love misa, and it's right that she got her man in the end. but the fact that she did get him makes it more difficult for me to see the song from her perspective.

aw hell, on the other hand, maybe you are right. maybe it's just a song about a love triangle in general, coming from no particular side. (yes even hikaru's side. "well minmei, who you gonna kiss? actually, i don't mind you kissing her. just let me watch, ok?" :p ).

oh man, thanks for this!! this is absolutely hilarious!! can't wait for the last part. :)

and again, they refer to miss KY as some unknown alien! haha. hell, maybe KY is the alien in the SMS song!

i love the fact that the SMS song is some drunk group's folk classic. and the comment on aimo is just right on! :)

They always have had that private joke that Kanno is an alien. I think it all started in Cowboy Bebop (where they designed the character Ed after Kanno and had Cats on Mars as her theme)... and everyone just rode along :p

Thanks for the translations, you're doing a good job! :)

Wow! Thanks so much for these translations! Gems like this are so often lost in the noise of program subs & discussions about products. Can't wait to read the rest!

They always have had that private joke that Kanno is an alien. I think it all started in Cowboy Bebop (where they designed the character Ed after Kanno and had Cats on Mars as her theme)... and everyone just rode along :p

Thanks for the translations, you're doing a good job! :)

from the various interviews, it's gabriela robin who's the alien, not kanno yoko. so KY can't be the alien! right? right? :p

you know it just makes you wonder how weird KY is in person, with all this teasing and inside jokes about her going on. imagine designing Ed after her. if anything, she must really be so interesting to work with.

from the various interviews, it's gabriela robin who's the alien, not kanno yoko. so KY can't be the alien! right? right? :p

you know it just makes you wonder how weird KY is in person, with all this teasing and inside jokes about her going on. imagine designing Ed after her. if anything, she must really be so interesting to work with.

From the interviews, it's really Robin being teased as an alien, but the "weird Ed" thing in Bebop is given to Kanno directly (Ed was also called an alien once in Bebop). That means both Robin and Kanno have been teased as aliens before... and that only means...

...That they're both aliens :lol:

From the interviews, it's really Robin being teased as an alien, but the "weird Ed" thing in Bebop is given to Kanno directly (Ed was also called an alien once in Bebop). That means both Robin and Kanno have been teased as aliens before... and that only means...

...That they're both aliens :lol:

Unless they're actually the same person, as absurd as that idea might sound. :wacko:

Edited by d3v

dude, you mean "person", right? ;)

unless you've taken the next step and decided to question even KY's existence. well, considering how weird she is, hell, why not? :D

That was a mistake on my part... however, you do bring up an interesting possibility. :ph34r:

I hope someone is adding these liner notes to the compendium...

A lot of peripheral information about the universe in the 2059 era there...

I wouldn't feel really comfortable with that unless Egan (or someone who's actually FLUENT in Japanese, unlike me) takes a swipe a fixing them up...there's some stuff in there that I'm not entirely sure of...

FINALLY! Part 4 (of 5). This is the one with the sentence that finally defeated me. I have no idea what Elmo is talking about, but I decided to post it anyway...Elmo disappears for a few moments here...but I think he just ran out to pick up some ramen.

15. “Super Dimension Chinese Restaurant Nyan Nyan” CM Song (Ranka Version)

E) This commercial song was first sung by Frontier’s most popular smiling talent, Lin Minmé, but here, in an effort to boost sales, it’s been replaced by a version sung by our idol, RANKA LEE!! Clearly, our Ranka has won overwhelmingly! By the way, her personal history is that before her debut, she worked at the Nyan Nyan restaurant on Clearing Road in Pearl Center, and once that rumor reached her fans, they started pouring into the shop. Apparently, the owner, hearing that business had shot up, decreed that she would be used for the commerical instead.

C) It’s already the 50th Anniversary of the Super Dimension Chinese Restaurant. I was still a little girl when this beloved commercial started airing. Now it’s Ranka Lee, but many popular idols have sung this song. And, well…it’s not bad…but it certainly does make me wonder why they replaced the original Lin Minmé version.

16. Alto’s Theme

E) This sounds like it’s from some kind of movie soundtrack. But exactly what it’s the theme for is unknown. Just, it seems like this composer also like ethnic music.

C) I suddenly feel like getting some ramen…I wonder why…?

17. TALLY HO!

C) I’ve heard scattered things about what this composer has said, like that three quick beats represents the hero, and four beats represents the villain.

18. The Target

C) …and THIS composer, I’ve heard, has fifteen hands and can create sheet music for up to ten songs simultaneously. The other five hands are used for eating snacks, or so they say.

19. Bajura

E) This has an orchestra sound. That’s all.

C) I don’t remember anything about this one except that the composer’s favorite thing is lemonade.

NEXT: The shocking finale!!!

Edited by Gubaba

That's kind of what I gathered...that although it became a lot more popular, everyone was just coming to gawk at her, so she became something of a liability...but I'm in no wise sure...

I wonder if it'll be a plot point somewhere that the Sheryl gawkers end up being Ranka gawkers...

Sheryl = Jamis :o

Regardless thx for the update.

FINALLY! Part 4 (of 5). This is the one with the sentence that finally defeated me. I have no idea what Elmo is talking about, but I decided to post it anyway...Elmo disappears for a few moments here...but I think he just ran out to pick up some ramen.

NEXT: The shocking finale!!!

very very cool. thanks again! :)

i wonder when i will ever get to see that original "nyan nyan" commercial by lynn minmei... :(

by the way, i also find it shocking that nyannyan would fire ranka for being an idol. when they actually got so galactically popular because of an idol. the idol, actually. :blink:

where's general manager yotaro when you need him?? hehe.

Edited by dreamweaver13

very very cool. thanks again! :)

i wonder when i will ever get to see that original "nyan nyan" commercial by lynn minmei... :(

by the way, i also find it shocking that nyannyan would fire ranka for being an idol. when they actually got so galactically popular because of an idol. the idol, actually. :blink:

where's general manager yotaro when you need him?? hehe.

"The Nyan Nyan Idol...there can be only one..."

(As for the older version of the CM, it's the one they played as the eyecatch on the broadcast edition of episode 1. It's not "Lynn Minmay" (リン・ミンメイ), it's "Lynn [or "Lin," as I call her, just for differentation's sake] Minmé (リン・ミンメエ), who is a completely different person, and, I assume, is some kind of Minmay Impersonator...but does she do weddings?)

That certainly helped, but I think you're selling the Lynns short.

They were also

*the first restaurant to open on the Macross(making them an early social hub by default),

*instrumental in getting the city rebuilt(the Lynns were among the first people to stop acting like refugees and start rebuilding their lives, and they were the ones that initially proposed reallocating supplies to create a semblance of normalcy inside the ship),

*one of the few dining establishments to survive Space War 1(if I seem a bit focused on Macross City, well, it's because Macross City WAS the civilized world immediately after the war),

*... and their menu was killer(ask Kakizaki).

They were uniquely well-equipped to begin forging a chinese restaurant empire the likes of which the world has never seen, and it wasn't ALL thanks to Minmay living there.

They were also

*the first restaurant to open on the Macross(making them an early social hub by default),

*instrumental in getting the city rebuilt(the Lynns were among the first people to stop acting like refugees and start rebuilding their lives, and they were the ones that initially proposed reallocating supplies to create a semblance of normalcy inside the ship),

*one of the few dining establishments to survive Space War 1(if I seem a bit focused on Macross City, well, it's because Macross City WAS the civilized world immediately after the war),

They were uniquely well-equipped to begin forging a chinese restaurant empire the likes of which the world has never seen, and it wasn't ALL thanks to Minmay living there.

haha, i guess so. :) but you have to admit, the lynns must have milked minmei's popularity for all it's worth to get where it is now. :)

They were also

Don't forget that Macross Nald's survived as well (so did McDonalds if we believe Macross DYRL). But while we're on that topic I wonder about other major companies, I assume Budwiser survives since they had product placement in the major motion picture DYRL, though what weird product placement it was...