Nyan Fro Liner Notes

Gubaba

FINALLY! Part 5 of 5! It's done! And Elmo says THE LINE!!!

20. Twinkle

E) This has a minimalist sound. I like it.

C) I have a rule to never say the same things others have said.

21. Aimo ~ Bird Human

E) The ending theme for George Yamamori’s film, Bird Human. At first, our own RANKA LEE!! was cast as a villager, but during photography, Mr. Yamamori chanced upon a place where she was singing, and moreover, some trouble surfaced with the actress playing Mao, so Miss Lee was selected for the role. The original ending theme was quickly changed to this song, but that wasn’t the only surprise. No no no no no. Truly, there was some incredibly ULTRA SUPER BIG NEWS! No, really, you’ll faint when you hear it. As a result of the song, the movie was a big hit! It became the birth of Miss RANKA LEE!!!!, our Super Dimension Idol!

22. Take Off

E) It’s a orchestra. I don’t really like instrumental tracks.

C) Oh, this is the opening theme for that big science fiction movie blockbuster. …Huh? …It’s not? Oh.

23. Infinity

E) Sheryl’s third single, released in 2057. It was already a big hit on the Galaxy Network when MBS decided to use it as the theme song for a drama because of Sheryl’s popularity. It then spent eight weeks at number one on the Universal Board.

C) Hmm-hmm-hmmmmm-HMM-hmmm-HMMMM-Hmmmmm… (Ms. Carmen, suddenly overcome by emotion, has started singing)

24. Diamond Crevasse

E) A ballad recorded for Sheryl’s 2057 album. It’s always performed live.

There’s rumor that Sheryl sang this song for a popular actor or actress who was leaving Galaxy, and speculation about who this might be created a lot of confusion on the Galaxy Network.

C) This song hasn’t moved from the number one spot on the Frontier Office Ladies’ “Songs that Make You Cry” Ranking.

BTW, "some trouble surfaced with actress playing Mao"...? Is there a cover-up about the whole hydra incident...? :unsure:

Thanks for the translations!

There’s rumor that Sheryl sang this song for a popular actor or actress who was leaving Galaxy, and speculation about who this might be created a lot of confusion on the Galaxy Network.

Someone leaving Galaxy? I wonder who it is... If it's Alto, then it would have been, "popular actor/actress who was leaving for the Galaxy"?

Someone leaving Galaxy? I wonder who it is... If it's Alto, then it would have been, "popular actor/actress who was leaving for the Galaxy"?

I'm thinking it was the first singer to impress Sheryl and the one that she spoke about in her blog. The timing is about right since Sheryl first met her in 2056.

The song already existed before she got to Frontier, so presumably it's not about Alto.

I'm thinking it was the first singer to impress Sheryl and the one that she spoke about in her blog. The timing is about right since Sheryl first met her in 2056.

To be honest, that's who I thought of when I read the liner notes, thus I stayed gender-neutral in the translation. If I hadn't known about the blog entry, I probably would've said "actor."

The song already existed before she got to Frontier, so presumably it's not about Alto.

The translation said that it was "sang for someone", not "written for someone" that's why I thought it could have been him (aside from "actor/actress", but come to think of it, Alto is no longer an actor by that time and she wouldn't refer to him as such). The girl singer does seem like the right one. But... I suppose we shouldn't bother too much about it just like the "Galaxy Network people" who were trying to figure it out (it looks like they're playing with us) :lol:

Edited by mike_s_6

The translation said that it was "sang for someone", not "written for someone" that's why I thought it could have been him (aside from "actor/actress", but come to think of it, Alto is no longer an actor by that time and she wouldn't refer to him as such). The girl singer does seem like the right one. But... I suppose we shouldn't bother too much about it just like the "Galaxy Network people" who were trying to figure it out (it looks like they're playing with us) :lol:

well, whoever it was, it sure broke sheryl's heart to see him/her go. just read dem lyrics! awwww....

If anyone's interested, I'm thinking of translating the notes for Macross 7 Docking Festival. Among other things, they tell what happened to Kim, Shammy and Vanessa after Space War I...

... do you really have to ask? Go for it! :D

• 3 months later...

*looks up*

Um, I guess that turned out to be an "or not," huh? :unsure:

But that hardly matters becuase HEY! It's NYAN TRA TIME!!!

Here are the liner notes (part 1 of 4...or maybe 5, if I get lazy).

Nyan Tra is a nickname for “Nyan Nyan Soundtrack” (also called a “Nyaundtrack”).

This album collects nothing but the hottest hits from some of the girls of Frontier. [Translation note: the Japanese character used for “Nyan” is the same as is used for “girls”]

Having somehow or other survived the long string of battles, the same two people from the last edition will continue their track-by-track commentary.

Additionally, for this new edition, we would like to introduce a number of fan e-mails we have received.

Elmo Kridanik

Supervisor at the Entertainment Business Office, Vector Promotion. He is also a music critic. Hereafter referred to as E).

Carmen Oyamashita (Dai-Charisma Criticism)

Although she was rumored to be on Island 3 when it was purged, her safety has been confirmed. Music critic and self-professed Sheryl look-a-like. Hereafter referred to as C).

01. Prologue F

E) Ahhhh…Frontier! Frontier! (In the middle of the interview, Mr. Kridanik suddenly cries out with exceeding passion. It looks like he’s remembering happier days.)

C) Just because I wanted to go get some fresh Hippocow ice cream on Island 3, I got in a huge mess of trouble…

02. Northern Cross

E) Sheryl’s Revival Songs, Part Three! It was also remarked on for Part Two, “Fairy,” but here I’ll say that the biggest difference between Sheryl before and Sheryl now, is that in her current songs, the lyrics really cut deep. It makes me wonder if perhaps her heart hasn’t been broken. She hasn’t told me anything about whatever made her reach into this dark place for her songwriting. Whenever I hear this song, Sheryl’s singing just makes me bawl my eyes out.

C) While the Single Version ended with a fade-out, the ending here is somewhat different…well, anyone who listens to it will understand.

03. Triangler (fight on stage)

E) Aah, this one sounds like some beautiful girls pressing in close. Sigh…a manager is disqualified from having such hopes. But still, I, Elmo Kridanik, am just a man, and I’d die to have even a single encounter like that. Well…I wouldn’t have quite enough self-confidence to deal with it. And I wouldn’t be able to choose between the two of them anyway. So I’d really have to say that either of them would be perfectly okay with me and moreover… (The rest of the comment has been omitted.)

C) One kiss can give life or death. Really. It’s the nature of a woman.

04. HighSchoolLife

E) Listening to this one…it seems like it should go on longer.

05. Transformation

E) This is the theme music for a movie about a cyborg from the future…well, sure sounds like it!

C) …Crunch, crunch, crunch (currently eating a Zentradi carrot snack.) …Wait, how many of these have I eaten? You know, the stopped producing them when the ship entered Emergency Mode, so I’ve got to ration them carefully. I hope they start making them again soon.

NEXT: Dokun Dokun Dokun, Kira! and the first of the fan letters. Hoo-boy, I'm not looking forward to translating those... :p

Edited by Gubaba

*looks up*

NEXT: Dokun Dokun Dokun, Kira! and the first of the fan letters. Hoo-boy, I'm not looking forward to translating those... :p

Wow thanks!!!!!!!

*looks up*

ALRIGHT!! Thanks as always gubaba! :)

The notes for "Interstellar Flight" are taking a little longer than I expected, so here's tracks six and seven...

06. The Sound of You

E) From the announced single collecting Miss Ranka’s “Aimo Anniversary” concert. After Miss Ranka had left my guiding hand and the newly arranged version of “Aimo” was produced, I began to be very worried that Ranka had changed. But after hearing this song, I felt relieved. But soon after that announcement, Frontier’s journey itself was derailed, and then I really learned what worry was!! And I know Ranka was really worried, too. By the way, to my of thinking, shouldn’t the song be “Dokan Dokan”? [Translation Note: “Dokan” is the sound of an explosion] Or maybe I just don’t understand anything!

C) Recently, I’ve seen a rumor on the net that this song causes skin-regeneration among the Vajra., and it really seems like the government banned its performance at first. Ranka Lee’s singing seemed to have caused more and more of them to come, but we’ll probably never find out the real cause. And the courts would be useless in this case. When I heard this song, I was also looking forward to its peeling power. I feel like I’ve already lost one layer of old skin.

[e-mail] Hold me –––––– Till the edge of the galaxy –––––– !! (Maruyama / Broadcasting Station Worker / Age 34)

[e-mail] When I heard your “dokun dokun,” my heart also went “dokun dokun.” When I was in the darkness of the shelter, I wasn’t scared because when I closed my eyes, again and again I could see visions of you floating in a plum-blue sky. I LOVE RANKA!! (Marumero / Mihoshi High School Junior)

[e-mail] Still needs to learn to sit, fetch, and heel. (Miss G / Secretary / Age 17)

[e-mail] Please sign me up for the fan club (Ebi / Apparel Worker / Age 21)

07. Test Flight Delight

E) This one’s great! Feels like dreams of youth! When I was young on my Zentradi homeworld, I was called the “Jeweled Third Son.”

C) Tempura Ricebowl, Carp Ricebowl, Deculture Ricebowl.

Translating the fan mail was easier than I expected. I took a little liberty with the e-mail from "Miss G." Literally, she said that "more training" was needed, but the word she used is generally used for animal training, so I thought to myself, "Hmmm...how would the Animesuki Forum Ranka-Haters phrase this?" and came up with what I thought was a pretty good line.

NEXT: The diet that's sweeping Frontier: Kira☆Slim!

Interesting this is the second time I've heard of a planetary based recently Zentradi.

The first being Veffidas.

I was a little surprised by that, too, and wasn't sure how to translate it...hte original line says ゼントラ界 ("Zentra kai"): "Zentra World."

Anytime the word "Zentra" turns up in the notes, I translate it as "Zentradi." :unsure:

That Miss G. sounds like Grace. 17, it seems not even the "almost queen bitch of the galaxy" is immune to lying about her age (if that is Grace).

OMG, you're right. Grace is ALIVE! :o

but hey, it wouldn't really be lying if she managed to download herself into a 17 yr old cyborg body, right? :)

Who is she the Major? Only Motoko Kusanagi has the right to download to a lolier body.

Personally, I prefer the manga ending where, thanks to Batou, the body she downloads herself into turns out to be not a girl but a trap (not as trappy as our hime, but a trap nontheless).

But really, this is Grace we're talking about, the Goddess of Galaxy who almost became the Queen Bitch of The Galaxy. If she wanted to, she could do it faster than you can say "pedobear."

Edited by d3v

Personally, I prefer the manga ending where, thanks to Batou, the body she downloads herself into turns out to be not a girl but a trap (not as trappy as our hime, but a trap nontheless).

But really, this is Grace we're talking about, the Goddess of Galaxy who almost became the Queen Bitch of The Galaxy. If she wanted to, she could do it faster than you can say "pedobear."

pedobea--ao8sinx[-8dca098d5j-0eroiwenr3t4f515345sw()*^$*&^--- arg, wtf, i think my computer's been hacked!!! :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...
Outstanding work, Gubaba! Its so interesting (and frustrating!) that all these in-universe tidbits are all in Japanese! Do you have any plans for working on the rest of the liner notes for Nyan Tra?

Of course! I've been busy with Macross Chronicle, but I should have more Nyan Tra sometime this week. At the VERY least, you can bet it'll be finished before Nyan Tama comes out.