Newbie Questions on Macross

I guess it means that perhaps the entire colony is in on her conspiracy?

We don't know. For all we know, the citizens of Galaxy could all be in living life through a virtual world and not realize that certain parties are manipulating them.

I saw that. I guess it means that perhaps the entire colony is in on her conspiracy? Seems unlikely. But if it were true that's a HUGE arc that I would have liked to have seen. It could have been like the battlestar pegasus or something.

Most of the population are cyborgs and Grace needed to flip a pre-programmed switch to turn Brera to a loyal guard dog.

In his interview Shoji Kawamori said that Galaxy has a corporate run government. If you noticed their fleet is not exactly standard government issue.

Edited by RedWolf

I don't remember it being mentioned that "most of the population are cyborgs". Where does that information come from?

IMHO, the main reason that the Macross Galaxy Fleet is different, is so that it is visually different from the Macross Frontier fleet, so that the average viewer doesn't get confused. It's the same reason why we don't see Zentraadi ships in a Super Long Range Emigration Fleet. They're the enemy ship, and portraying them as otherwise will add confusion.

I don't remember it being mentioned that "most of the population are cyborgs". Where does that information come from?

Frontier episode 5 with cyborg implants being common place in Galaxy is mentioned during the date. Sheryl as her selling point is all natural.

Remember Galaxy's overall plan was to turn humanity to a collective hivemind. Those who would oppose them would be exterminated.

It would make sense that the conspiracy would consolidate first with their own fleet.

Frontier episode 5 with cyborg implants being common place in Galaxy is mentioned during the date. Sheryl as her selling point is all natural.

Remember Galaxy's overall plan was to turn humanity to a collective hivemind. Those who would oppose them would be exterminated.

It would make sense that the conspiracy would consolidate first with their own fleet.

Ah. Thought so. But cyborg implants does not make a cyborg, does it.

Nor do I... the Otona Anime interview mentions that Macross Galaxy is a corporate entity, and that cybernetics are legal there, but there's nothing about most of the population being cyborgs. As is typical for him, RedWolf is taking something within the series to mean something other than what is literally being said. Specifically, Sheryl's response to Also asking "isn't that [implant technology] illegal?", which was "It's common on Galaxy". While that does point to at least a decent percentage of the population having cybernetic implants, it doesn't mean the majority does. "Common" is not the same thing as "ubiquitous".

Well implant technology is illegal on Frontier. It doesn't mean it is illegal everywhere else. The fact the entire Galaxy military forces are under Grace's thumb clearly states Macross Galaxy is firmly under control of the conspiracy.

Hidden programs such as the Slave Mode of Brera would be like the root-kits used by the Cylons in nBSG to the Colonial's systems. Only in this instance it would be persons.

I suspect Frontier's ban on implants is an anti-corporate espionage measure. Not that it helped them when they were already infiltrated.

Well implant technology is illegal on Frontier. It doesn't mean it is illegal everywhere else. The fact the entire Galaxy military forces are under Grace's thumb clearly states Macross Galaxy is firmly under control of the conspiracy.

Um... actually, if you go back and read the Otona Anime interview you'll find that the ban on implant technology had only recently been lifted as of the events of Macross Frontier, so it's extremely unlikely that use of implant technology is widespread outside of the corporate entity that is Macross Galaxy. Similarly, there is no guarantee that the population of Macross Galaxy is even aware of the conspiracy, since the colony block was left out of the battle. True, the military force stationed with the Macross Galaxy fleet appears to have bought into it, though it's also entirely possible that most or all of their fighters are unmanned and are being operated remotely...

Hidden programs such as the Slave Mode of Brera would be like the root-kits used by the Cylons in nBSG to the Colonial's systems. Only in this instance it would be persons.

But there's no evidence to suggest that any other people had such a system installed... Brera is the ONLY example. So this theory of yours is baseless speculation.

I suspect Frontier's ban on implants is an anti-corporate espionage measure. Not that it helped them when they were already infiltrated.

Um... try again, the Otona Anime interview would suggest otherwise, that the ban on implants extended well beyond the Macross Frontier colony fleet.

If you're going to compose a theory, at least try to come up with one that is supported by the available facts... don't just speculate wildly.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Um... actually, if you go back and read the Otona Anime interview you'll find that the ban on implant technology had only recently been lifted as of the events of Macross Frontier, so it's extremely unlikely that use of implant technology is widespread outside of the corporate entity that is Macross Galaxy. Similarly, there is no guarantee that the population of Macross Galaxy is even aware of the conspiracy, since the colony block was left out of the battle. True, the military force stationed with the Macross Galaxy fleet appears to have bought into it, though it's also entirely possible that most or all of their fighters are unmanned and are being operated remotely...

But there's no evidence to suggest that any other people had such a system installed... Brera is the ONLY example. So this theory of yours is baseless speculation.

Did you even watch the final episode?!

There are more people around Grace than those she was talking to. Do you really think when the Conspiracy would keep the pretense when they have control of the Vajra?

The whole plan was to install everyone with implants for the conspiracy to control. From a story telling perspective and logic taking control of their population first would be among the steps before taking a venture where they will threaten and fight everybody. Every fleet and every colony.

There are pockets of unimplanted individuals within Galaxy but once the masquerade is over those individuals would be forced to take implants.

Did you even watch the final episode?!

Yes, I did... and I'm telling you your assertions are baseless (for the most part).

There are more people around Grace than those she was talking to. Do you really think when the Conspiracy would keep the pretense when they have control of the Vajra?

The whole plan was to install everyone with implants for the conspiracy to control. From a story telling perspective and logic taking control of their population first would be among the steps before taking a venture where they will threaten and fight everybody. Every fleet and every colony.

It's possible... after all, they'd be most vulnerable to those on their own home ship. Of course, it's also entirely possible that the forces protecting Macross Galaxy were either employees or mercenaries (though in practice, they're the same thing) doing it for a paycheck. Macross Galaxy IS a corporate entity after all.

There are pockets of unimplanted individuals within Galaxy but once the masquerade is over those individuals would be forced to take implants.

Speculation, nothing more.

basically this is all a HUGE untapped story

Which really makes you wonder if they're going to explore this in the second movie... I hope they do. The conspiracy thing was introduced way too late in the series.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I read somewhere in the net that after the "Birdman Incident" the U.N. Spacy seized all the SV-51 fighters produced by the Anti-U.N. remnant from Macross Zero and used them during Space War I as defense against the Zentradi. :wacko:

Is this official? Is it in the Chronicle? :blink:

post-7862-1271565928_thumb.gif

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I remember I read somewhere in the net that after the "Birdman Incident" the U.N. Spacy seized all the SV-51 fighters produced by the Anti-U.N. remnant from Macross Zero and used them during Space War I as defense against the Zentradi. :wacko:

Maybe you're confusing it with the Octos, which was picked up by the U.N. after the U.N. Wars.

"反統合同盟軍 [編集]

SV-51

VF-0より先に実戦投入された史上初の可変戦闘機。反統合同盟の陣営だった自治区では、VF-1ではなくSV-51の生産が続けられており、投入されたかは不明ながら第一次星間戦争を生き延びた。VF-11の本格採用まで生産された。

この機体をベースに後継機のSV-52が開発されたが、現在のところ設定デザインなどは存在しない。

(開発:スホーイ/イスラエル航空工廠/ドルニエ 生産:2008年-2030年代 型式:α、γ)" [production: 2008-2030's]

Available on VF page from Japanese Wiki. An indication? (other informations of the page are correct)

Edited by gamlin

SV-51

VF-0より先に実戦投入された史上初の可変戦闘機。反統合同盟の陣営だった自治区では、VF-1ではなくSV-51の生産が続けられており、投入されたかは不明ながら第一次星間戦争を生き延びた。VF-11の本格採用まで生産された。

この機体をベースに後継機のSV-52が開発されたが、現在のところ設定デザインなどは存在しない。

(開発:スホーイ/イスラエル航空工廠/ドルニエ 生産:2008年-2030年代 型式:α、γ)" [production: 2008-2030's]

Available on VF page from Japanese Wiki. An indication? (other informations of the page are correct)

Okay... yeah... that does say that the Anti-U.N.'s SV-51 was picked up by the U.N. and used until the introduction of the VF-11 Thunderbolt. Does the Wiki provide a source for that?

Okay... yeah... that does say that the Anti-U.N.'s SV-51 was picked up by the U.N. and used until the introduction of the VF-11 Thunderbolt. Does the Wiki provide a source for that?

Answer my own silly question... no, it doesn't. God alone knows where that information came from then... best to assume its not reliable until we can find a reliable source for that.

Looked over at Japanese Macross Wikia too. Read through a Google translation. Looking at it the George Yamamori's Bird Human movie had a SV-51 with thermonuclear engines?

I'm not the best translator out there, but after a quick once-over it looks to me like they're saying that the filming model of the SV-51 used in the movie was equipped with reaction engines. It's not saying anything about mass-production of reaction engine-equipped SV-51s. If it's accurate (and it's not sourced, so there's no way to confirm) then it was probably done out of convenience and necessity... convert a set of existing engines for the airframe and let the filming model gently sip fuel in atmospheric flight rather than have it thirstily guzzling combustible hydrocarbons.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Can somebody tell what Rakutensu means? It appears to be the name of William Garland's faction in Macross VF-X2.

It looks like it's a proper noun. I've been looking around for around 20 minutes and haven't been able to find anything it translates to. Sketchley's using the straight-up romanization on his stats site.

Question for Macross Frontier Novel readers.

Was it mentioned Ozma beat the crap of Manfred Brando? (Macross VF-X2 antagonist president of Critical Path Corporation)

I looked and compared the Japanese wiki and Japanese Macross wikia on him.

The wiki article doesn't mention his involvement as investigation director of the aftermath of the loss of the 117th Research Fleet. In the Wikia article he is the investigation director of the 117th survivors, his harsh treatment of Ranka earned him a beating by Ozma Lee.

What is with the Macross Singles Suite???

Partially downloaded it and there are some tracks never heard before... not even in the tv show i guess.

For some reason, the download version floating around is called "Macross Singles Suite," but really, it's just "Macross Suite." It's what they used to call an "image album": music that wasn't actually in the movie, but was meant to evoke it, or something like that.

For some reason, the download version floating around is called "Macross Singles Suite," but really, it's just "Macross Suite." It's what they used to call an "image album": music that wasn't actually in the movie, but was meant to evoke it, or something like that.

Is it inspired in SDFM? Or something later?

What a way to get money from fans pocket. Still, i guess there isn't a release of some songs from the TV series, we get musics that aren't really macross, but we don't get some that are.

• 2 weeks later...

This might qualify as more than just a "newbie" question. I didn't see any kind of technical question threads, so I thought this was the best place to ask.

In episode 6, the RVF-171's that were scouting out the position of the Kaitos and Dulfim for the rescue mission referred to the defolding ship as the Deneb-class Kaitos, even though it was the orange cruiser. In the Mecha Manual, it says that the Deneb-class is the green-colored cruiser. Was this a translation error on the version I was watching? I think it was a Shinsen Subs job. Also, have they given a name to the other class of cruiser that is used by Galaxy forces?

In episode 6, the RVF-171's that were scouting out the position of the Kaitos and Dulfim for the rescue mission referred to the defolding ship as the Deneb-class Kaitos, even though it was the orange cruiser. In the Mecha Manual, it says that the Deneb-class is the green-colored cruiser. Was this a translation error on the version I was watching? I think it was a Shinsen Subs job. Also, have they given a name to the other class of cruiser that is used by Galaxy forces?

It was a continuity error on the producers (By "continuity error" I mean the film production term where part A-> part B-> part C, but an error in production led to Part A-> Part C -> Part B). Either that or Kaitos appeared off screen and we were hearing radio chatter. The name of the other ship was Dulfim with no class given.

Thanks for the prompt response. I figured it had to be some kind of script error, but I had to ask.

Another slightly-related question concerning the script and the Mecha Manual... The entry for the City and Battle Frontier ships shows a "Wilen" as captain. I thought he was the guy who first warned Frontier of the Vajra threat. He was the pilot of the recon ship that defolded at the end of Episode 5. In episode 18, President Glass refers to the admiral in the control room as "Perry-kun". I assumed he was in command of Battle and City. Is that his first name or his last name?

Thanks for the prompt response. I figured it had to be some kind of script error, but I had to ask.

Another slightly-related question concerning the script and the Mecha Manual... The entry for the City and Battle Frontier ships shows a "Wilen" as captain. I thought he was the guy who first warned Frontier of the Vajra threat. He was the pilot of the recon ship that defolded at the end of Episode 5. In episode 18, President Glass refers to the admiral in the control room as "Perry-kun". I assumed he was in command of Battle and City. Is that his first name or his last name?

Looks like that was an error on my part or an early translation mix up. There's still a lot of information about Frontier that remains from the first days of the series, so the section is a little rough and incomplete. It will improve with time and the help of folks like yourself. Btw, if you have any questions or corrections for the Macross Mecha Manual, you can contact me directly via e-mail, via PM or by posting in the Macross Mecha Manual topic.

I've made the correction and uploaded a new page. Make sure to refresh your browser when revisiting. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions for you guru's out there...

Are Claudia and Edgar related? AFAIK, they have the same last name and both were alive around the same time... think about it...!

Also, at the end of MF ep. 25, when Brera is shown on the Vajra homeworld, standing outside of his VF, he turns to look at the camera. In the foreground, there's some kind of artifact/structure that appears to be stuck in the ground. On close inspection, it looks like it's some sort of protoculture artifact that resembles the idols on the island of Mayan in Zero. Does anyone know what it is?

Two questions for you guru's out there...

Are Claudia and Edgar related? AFAIK, they have the same last name and both were alive around the same time... think about it...!

Also, at the end of MF ep. 25, when Brera is shown on the Vajra homeworld, standing outside of his VF, he turns to look at the camera. In the foreground, there's some kind of artifact/structure that appears to be stuck in the ground. On close inspection, it looks like it's some sort of protoculture artifact that resembles the idols on the island of Mayan in Zero. Does anyone know what it is?

Those are two good and interesting questions.

There have been no official answers for either of them, however.