Newbie Questions on Macross

Where are you getting VF-X-4 from? The bottom half of Pg 66 is clearly the VF-4.

lol wut? It's pretty obvious from just looking at the GERWALK mode art on p66 that it's the VF-X-4. Check the airframe's "neck" between the cockpit and the wing surface... it's not nearly long enough to be the VF-4 from Macross Flashback 2012. What's right above it is also indisputably a VF-X-4 from the Super Dimension Fortress Macross series... it's identical to the clearly labeled VF-X-4 on the bottom left of the very next page, it's even drawn from the same angle. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The same goes for your linked picture... it's clearly a VF-X-4 not the VF-4 from Flashback 2012.

... and didn't I provide a linky to an image of a finished design for the VF-4 from the period of it's initial release?

You provided a link to concept art... not a finished design. This is not, nor was it ever, about who had the first concept art.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Concept art. Finished art. Finished splitting hairs yet?

Nah... wasn't splitting hairs to begin with, just dealing with some people who are ordinarily pretty sharp that seem to be having reading comprehension issues today. To (briefly) reiterate, this was never about who had the first concept art for the VF-4's transformation or anything like that. It was about who got their completed VF-4 design and name out first... Macross II's creators beat Kawamori to the punch by ~5 years. For reasons unknown, Gubaba misinterpreted what I said to mean that Kawamori had never intended the VF-4 to have a transformation until he did the Lighting III in 1995... which would, of course, be untrue had I actually said it. Then you jumped in in medias res and tried to make it a battle of who had the first concept art rather than who finished their version first.

Somehow, we got way off track from my simple statement that I'm particularly fond of the VF-4 because it has a highly colorful design history that gives it one fighter mode, but two separate sets of transformation modes and names... the first being the "Siren" version from 1992's Macross: Eternal Love Song, and the second being the "Lightning III" version from 1997's Macross Digital Mission VF-X. That's all... nothing more than that. <_<

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I've to agree with Seto on this, sketchley, the image that you provide has two ventral holes and two flash-lights/beacons in both wings, like the M3's VF-X-4 line art

It's also missing the canards. The entire nose shape is that of a VF-X-4. Now how it got the VF-X-7's beam turret is the real question...

Is it just me or is that the VF-171 has slim legs for it to be ejecting a gun pod. I don't think there was footage of those.

Yeah, it does... though since the VF-171 is a background mecha for almost the entire series, the gun pod it had before being upgraded to the VF-171EX (the GU-14B) rarely appears. One would assume that it has to be kept inside the leg, since we never see a stock VF-171 carrying one externally. The only time we do see the gun pod carried externally is on Alto's VF-171EX command spec., which has additional armor on the legs that likely blocks access to the gun pod's usual internal holster. There's not exactly a surfeit of art for the VF-171 either, so none of the art I'm aware of shows munitions bays in the legs... though there is an aperture on the inside of the knee which looks suspiciously like a pair of micro-missile launchers similar to those on the underside of the VF-22.

IIRC, the gunpod is supposed to be stored within the fuselage on the ventral side. I haven't seen any illustrations that show how that works out; how it fires in fighter mode, and how it ejects when going to GERWALK or battroid.

The Gerwalk configuration for the VF-17 is different compared to any of the other valkyries.... It doesn't use any hands to carry weaponry, in it's place are two lasers. (although I did see that gamlin tried to extend a hand in one of the episodes of M7)

@Seito, yeah I did see the gunpod on the VF-171EX on Episode 24 when Alto was doing his Hikaru impression.