Macross Frontier Episode 10 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 10 rating  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 10?

• Positive (Ranka looks so cute in Mao's dress)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Why waste time watching this when I can watch M0?)

He hasn't yet? He's had an extra week to do that already and I think he may have... I don't want to go page surfing for it though. I think I recall something from him though.

EDIT: Yeah, he did one already.

After the brief action-adventure side story of episode 9, episode 10 dives head first back into our main three characters and the show shines all the brighter for it. This episode makes a connection with the 2002 OVA series Macross Zero, the events of which have been kept secret from the people of the Macross world up until 2058. Now in 2059, an ambitious director begins filming a movie about Macross Zero and features Alto, Sheryl and Ranka involved in the casting.

This is a welcome return to our main cast and the focus of this episode shifts back to Alto and his relationship with Sheryl and Ranka. Sheryl again uses her flighty side to play with Alto's emotions but Ranka is determined to maintain Alto's attention. But before that can happen, Ranka finds herself in danger from a stray Zentradi pet called an Eden Hydra (in a nod to the planet in Macross Plus). Alto tries to save her, but is ultimately bested by the creature. Just when it seems the end for Ranka, she is saved by Brera Sterne, who has been following Ranka around for two episodes now. His skill in battle is apparent but it's also revealed Brera is a cyborg. He is injured, but easily defeats the hydra and vanishes. After the danger passes, it's back to the set, where Ranka and Alto must share a kiss as part of the script as they portray Mao and Shin respectively.

It's great to get back into the drama of our three characters, especially Alto who has been too long removed from his own character arc. Based on flashbacks, his departure from his father was a very bad break yet his acting ability continues to pull him back into a world he thought he'd left far behind. Sheryl continues to show her interest in Alto, but is always thinly veiling it behind her carefree attitude. If Ranka can be more forward with Alto, she may yet have a chance with him by exploiting Sheryl's inability to take Alto as seriously as she should. For Alto's part, he still seems too unaware of Sheryl's true intentions and maintains a distance from Ranka. I'm personally hoping Alto and Sheryl hook up, but Ranka is no slouch and if she can prove herself, there's hope.

For now, the fate of these three can only be guessed until more is revealled in episode 11. Deculture!

Edited by Master Dex

He hasn't yet? He's had an extra week to do that already and I think he may have... I don't want to go page surfing for it though. I think I recall something from him though.

EDIT: Yeah, he did one already.

So I see he has, then I believe we can officially call this thread over (Except for any latecomers with questions). Now we can all move on and eagerly wait for episode 11.

THEY TLAK ABOUT SOEMONE NAME "MOW" THIS EP WHOS THAT CAN ANOYNE HLP ME PLZ!

Oh yeah, she is Basara's accomplice when he goes to Frontier for his farewell tour as he prepares to venture off into parts unknown. However she loses her voice and Basara gets rid of her to try and seduce Ranka instead however Ozma fights back with his Fire Bomber Tribute band and they have a jam session to end the conflict. In the end no one wins but we all die a little inside.

Oh yeah, she is Basara's accomplice when he goes to Frontier for his farewell tour as he prepares to venture off into parts unknown. However she loses her voice and Basara gets rid of her to try and seduce Ranka instead however Ozma fights back with his Fire Bomber Tribute band and they have a jam session to end the conflict. In the end no one wins but we all die a little inside.

WOW I DINT UNEDRSATND ALL THAT BUT JEEZ YOU GUYS KNO YUR STUFF WHEN IS FRNOITER COMMING TO U.S. I WANNA SEE IT DVD!!!!! BTW FNROTEIR IS LIKE ROBOTECH PART 2 OR SMEOTHNIG RIGHT?????

*cough* Okay...I've got to stop. I'm beginning to annoy myself...

WOW I DINT UNEDRSATND ALL THAT BUT JEEZ YOU GUYS KNO YUR STUFF WHEN IS FRNOITER COMMING TO U.S. I WANNA SEE IT DVD!!!!! BTW FNROTEIR IS LIKE ROBOTECH PART 2 OR SMEOTHNIG RIGHT?????

i'm guessing you could have gone on for another three or more posts... until you referred to robotech. everyone has his limits, after all. ;)

Relax, epi.11 is coming tonight, you don't need to convert your allegiance into HG now.

Now where's that yoshinol pic....

What, you don't like girls...? ^_^

The only boobs I like are the ones I can hold in my hands. ;)

Some of us could care less about otaku theories of transformation intricacies, possible physics explanations, or the positioning of screens or how comfortable cockpit chairs are. It's all fictional and pretty absurd anyway to try to constitute this stuff into reality.

DEPART FROM ME I NEVER KNEW YOU!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

^_^

i'm guessing you could have gone on for another three or more posts... until you referred to robotech. everyone has his limits, after all. ;)

The misspelling is easy...but, being a grammar nazi, it's really difficult for me not to use punctuation...

just watched ep10 again, and i realized something:

how Macross Zero would have been much much better if KY had done the music!! I mean, listening to aimo being played as the final song in the macross zero movie. perfect! :)

just goes to show how much of a difference it makes to have KY as your music composer.

Right.

Here's my eagerly awaited review of episode 10.

First of all, I would like to state for posterity that I find it odd that my taste - so fine, exquisite and unique - is shared only by a ball of fur with eyes on it... But alas: I too, like only one other person, thoroughly enjoyed the Hydra and the fight scene.

Why? Because I am - surprise, surprise - a big fan of Macross 7, and that includes the whacky EVIL bodies of the protodevilin. The hydra, in color especially and design as well was in some ways an homage - in my eyes - to the protodevilin. Yes, yes, he comes from Eden and is a cute pet in episode 5 - whatever - navy blue strange devil like creatures with wings will always make me think of the protodevilin; and so it was nice to see "one." - sort of...

That said, I am also a big Macross: Zero fan, so obviously I'm going to like this episode.

I find it both hilarious and smart that they put Miss Macross in as Sara - largely because if the role of Sara had gone to a more intelligent and sensitive woman, she would have overshadowed Ranka - and the point here was to have Ranka be someone special.

I also found Luca's wierd "we're going to use CGI to turns the 25s into zeroes" a wonderful bit of "Underbasism."

For those who don't know, the Underbase Saga was issue 50 of the Marvel Transformers comic and featured a wholesale slaughter of all of the characters whose toys had definitively gone out of production - only the ones that were in current production "survived" the story...

So... I see Bandai looking over the episode 10 script...

"Homage to Macross Zero you say? Macross Zero...Zero...VF-0? Hey! Don't Yamato make those!? Well you're not ACTUALLY planning on putting them in there are you!? As things stand episode 7 was the only one where we got any really lasting product placement! It's like we have to fight just to get the blasted VF-25 into any scene in any episode! And now you want to put old Yamato figures in! Nooo!!"

And bingo: The reason why VF-25s were used :)

Overall a very good episode which brought Ranka back up to speed as a cute girl and a character.

VFTF1

• 2 weeks later...
did anyone notice the Director in Legend of Zero was in the episode Friendly Fire?

Pretty much implied that him getting a sample of whatever she was giving away there was the reason why the director initially wanted Ranka for a bit part in the movie (before hearing Aimo and deciding to let her play Mao instead).

Edited by d3v