About the Macross Chronicles

Oh I meant bimonthly as in 2x a month, not bimonthly as in every 2 months... I got a year's subscription, so...

[English and Grammar Nazi Mode]That's semi-monthly.[/English and Grammar Nazi Mode] ;)

I think I'd rather it was bi-monthly...but then, I also wish Gundam Ace hadn't gone monthly. Driving to L.A. Kinokuniya is kind of a hassle...

[English and Grammar Nazi Mode]That's semi-monthly.[/English and Grammar Nazi Mode] ;)

I think I'd rather it was bi-monthly...but then, I also wish Gundam Ace hadn't gone monthly. Driving to L.A. Kinokuniya is kind of a hassle...

I've subscribed to Gundam Ace since it started, so I do feel the pinch there as well. Also have subscribed to Newtype for the past 14 years or so, so ouch there as well. Overall, a subscription at Kinokuniya is the cheapest way to go, although you'll feel the pinch once a year. My subscription for Gundam Ace yearly is about $84 (or $7 an issue) and Newtype is $90 ($7.50 an issue). Also, tax is included, so not bad. The only problem is that I do have to drive over 60 miles round trip to Kinokuniya, but since I fly out of San Jose airport for business about once a month, I try to visit the store during those times to pick up magazines and books. Also, it's nice to know I don't have to worry about them selling out of magazines and they'll hold your magazine for 3 or 4 months as well.

Also, since there are a few Japanese bookstores in the LA area, some have better deals than the Bay Area. At one point, Costa Mesa's Kinokuniya gave away a $20 gc to their store, and I know Sanseido has pretty good pricing on their subscriptions (plus have a stamp card for extra discounts).

I've subscribed to Gundam Ace since it started, so I do feel the pinch there as well. Also have subscribed to Newtype for the past 14 years or so, so ouch there as well. Overall, a subscription at Kinokuniya is the cheapest way to go, although you'll feel the pinch once a year. My subscription for Gundam Ace yearly is about $84 (or $7 an issue) and Newtype is $90 ($7.50 an issue). Also, tax is included, so not bad. The only problem is that I do have to drive over 60 miles round trip to Kinokuniya, but since I fly out of San Jose airport for business about once a month, I try to visit the store during those times to pick up magazines and books. Also, it's nice to know I don't have to worry about them selling out of magazines and they'll hold your magazine for 3 or 4 months as well.

Also, since there are a few Japanese bookstores in the LA area, some have better deals than the Bay Area. At one point, Costa Mesa's Kinokuniya gave away a $20 gc to their store, and I know Sanseido has pretty good pricing on their subscriptions (plus have a stamp card for extra discounts).

I've never gotten a subscription...but I've always had good luck with Gundam Ace, which, like you, I've gotten since the beginning. I've occasionally missed an issue, but always received it through special order with them (I haven'tt been so lucky with the Gag Specials or Zeta Gundam Ace, though).

Since I'll be moving to Japan in the next few months, I don't particularly want to get a subscirption, but they're good about holding magazines.

By the way...maybe this should go in the fansubs section, but I'm wondering...does anyone want to get a Macrossworld fansub group together to do the Chronicle?

By the way...maybe this should go in the fansubs section, but I'm wondering...does anyone want to get a Macrossworld fansub group together to do the Chronicle?

*salivates at the idea*

I was hoping Chronicle information would come out via the Compendium or fan translations, but the more people working on it, the better.

I think I'd be willing to lend a hand...

Greed mode specially if someone would get me nice big quality scans of it if I did :lol:End Greed mode

Not to quibble, but the other meaning is also accepted. :) (Though apparently it has a fixed meaning within the publishing industry, but I wasn't aware ot if.)

Edited by papabear

I think I'd be willing to lend a hand...

Greed mode specially if someone would get me nice big quality scans of it if I did :lol:End Greed mode

I'm getting the magazine, but I don't have a scanner. Still, a lot of people are excited about this, so my instinct tells me that getting scans will be the least of our problems.

MY biggest problem is that my kanji is shockingly bad, and while I have a huge kanji disctionary which could undoubtedly be used to stun a burgler, looking stuff up takes forever, especially if there's a lot of technical talk. The character/plot/music info would be much more up my alley.

It took me about a week to do the Nyan Fro liner notes, so given two weeks for each issue of Chronicle, I could probably handle about 5~7 pages. More, if I really pushed myself, but I've got a lot of other Macross projects I'm trying to get through at the same time, which I don't want to abandon.

I guess it depends on how many people say yea.

I'm getting the magazine, but I don't have a scanner. Still, a lot of people are excited about this, so my instinct tells me that getting scans will be the least of our problems.

MY biggest problem is that my kanji is shockingly bad, and while I have a huge kanji disctionary which could undoubtedly be used to stun a burgler, looking stuff up takes forever, especially if there's a lot of technical talk. The character/plot/music info would be much more up my alley.

It took me about a week to do the Nyan Fro liner notes, so given two weeks for each issue of Chronicle, I could probably handle about 5~7 pages. More, if I really pushed myself, but I've got a lot of other Macross projects I'm trying to get through at the same time, which I don't want to abandon.

Kanji isn't my strongest side either, but I've enough dictionaries to bury said burglar :p

We'll see. I'm kind of itching to translate that info page about different macross ships, but the preview scan i've seen ha such low resolution it hurts my eyes trying to read.

Not to quibble, but the other meaning is also accepted. :) (Though apparently it has a fixed meaning within the publishing industry, but I wasn't aware ot if.)

I just checked my O.E.D., and damned if you're not right!

Jeez, that's confusing... :wacko:

Amusingly, I'm one of those people who are glad to see lots of kanji, since most of those kanji are based on chinese characters, which I'm extremely familiar with (since Chinese is my mother tongue), so I can help. :)

Again, I say yea to translation of Chronicles!

Order made. Thanks a bunch GGemini! I owe ya.

No problem, don't forget to order the binder too.

post-322-1216857946_thumb.jpg

I was told by a local vendor that the binder won't come out until next week, but everywhere else is listed as being released today (Jul 24th).

Id say thats a mistake. If this is anything like the Gundam or Evangelion versions, then the binder SHOULD come with issue one.

Am dropping by my local bookstore at lunchtime, so Ill let you know.

Do you mean an executive mistake, or a factual mistake? Because it has been known for a while now that the binder would be sold separately.

Yeah, the binder is sold separately. I took advantage of Amazon's offer to buy both with a single mouse click (they make consumer addiction so convenient, don't they?) but the binder and the first issue are actually separate items.

Well I dont know how amazon does things since they dont usually allow magazines to be purchased individually, but for every single magazine of this variety that I have ever seen in 7 years in Japan, ALL have come with the binder included with the first issue.

Then, extra binders are usually made available seperately later on at additional cost. This has been the case for Evangelion Chronicles, Gundam fact files, karmen rider, Gatchaman, etc.

Going by my experience then, Id say the binder that people are ordering is actually the additional/spare one.

Either way, I will be able to let you know before I leave the office tonight.

OK. To save you the trouble: I already have the mag, it's NOT included. I bought both, it cost over 2,000 yen altogether.

EDIT -- Oh, and by the way: Hurry. Might just be my area, but the binders are understocked. I got mine this morning and there were only like four left. Plenty of actual magazines though.

Edited by Renato

OK. To save you the trouble: I already have the mag, it's NOT included. I bought both, it cost over 2,000 yen altogether.

EDIT -- Oh, and by the way: Hurry. Might just be my area, but the binders are understocked. I got mine this morning and there were only like four left. Plenty of actual magazines though.

Really? Wow thats... thats just odd. I suppose the publisher realises that Macross is a more niche market that, say, Gundam - which not only had a free binder but only cost 500-600yen for an extra TWO!

Many thanks for the news though.

And as for running out ... hahaha, that only happens when you are in a tiny area like Kyoto mate! hahaha. The Tokyo-Kyoto rivalry lives on!

Darn I need some good excuses to left my laboratory since I'm stuck with my experiment right now :angry: I must buy the binder and the magazine today before its sold out.

Well, for anyone who is interested, The publication is on quite thick, good quality paper. Even as someone who often collects these things, Im impressed.

There were plenty of binders at my local bookstore - it might be an idea to invest in 2 now since they can sometimes become hard to find later on.

Cost-wise, the magazine was 590yen and the binder was 1779yen. Add tx and thats a total of 2369yen for issue 1.

Content - nothing too surprising, but nicely made. The fold-out gallery sheets in particular are a nice touch. Also, the technology sheets look like they have newly commissioned illustrations, much as the Eva and Gundam versions did.

The back cover is a big reminder of the 1st Frontier Blu-ray release. Hoping to get that in the mail tonight ;-)

Am pretty impressed overall. Hope they can keep this quality up throughout the whole series. Have been waiting for this since they gave out flyers for it back at the last Wonder Fest (remind me to post the video of the Macross karaoke challenge I took at that event;-) and I must say it was worth the wait.

Definately a good time to be a Macross fan.

its available at my local toystore (toyntoys in Singapore) for SGD$10, didn't see any binders though.

if anyone's really desperate and couldn't find any other way, maybe i can help, but i think its cheaper to get it directly from Japan.

The Falcon's Hangar (in S'pore as well) will receive issue 1 but no binders so far. I wonder if we have to buy them online just in case they can't manage to get them :(

The Falcon's Hangar (in S'pore as well) will receive issue 1 but no binders so far. I wonder if we have to buy them online just in case they can't manage to get them :(

Lemme know how u're planning to get em ok? ;):ph34r:

EDIT: other than the 1/48 Yamato Max TV magazine exclusive, there's also a postcard set for subscribers?! awww Japanese gets all the goodies :(

Edited by Shun

If I were to give advice, I'd say bite the bullet and get the binder and first few issues where you can and do it now.

Like most niche publications, the print run will grow or shrink to suit demand only AFTER the initial print run of the first few issues has been released. Sales will be analyzed and production adjusted to fit demand. After issue three or so, we'll be able to relax and order them in bunches of 4 or so every two months to save on shipping. But for right now, I'd say grab them cause availability and uncertainty are running the show. I'm still kicking myself (just so much to do lately); I wish I would have ordered from HMV.

Besides, there's likely to be plenty of goodies from the Chronicle online in the form of fan scans that should keep most of us satiated until our once a month or once/two month packages are shipped so we don't get killed on the shipping.

Edited by Mr March

Darn, I spent 30 minutes running under this cursed Tokyo weather to the local bookstore around my campus, and none of them are selling Macross Chronicle :angry: I guess I need to go to the bigger store in the afternoon (unless I can escape again from this place) (;^^)

Darn, I spent 30 minutes running under this cursed Tokyo weather to the local bookstore around my campus, and none of them are selling Macross Chronicle :angry: I guess I need to go to the bigger store in the afternoon (unless I can escape again from this place) (;^^)

I picked mine up at the Animate in Ikebukuro. They had a big stack of the binders.

The magazine seems a bit thin to me, but I guess that's the nature of these things. I think it's absolutely hilarious there's a profile on Mash from Macross II in the first issue, hopefully that's a good sign they'll be focusing on Macross II as well.

Lemme know how u're planning to get em ok? ;):ph34r:

EDIT: other than the 1/48 Yamato Max TV magazine exclusive, there's also a postcard set for subscribers?! awww Japanese gets all the goodies :(

Bought mine from toysntoys yesterday along with my 1/60 Roy. Pretty good pricing. ;)

Hopefully they have binders ....i don't mind having just the binder. Hehehe.

Long story short, if you own a bunch of Macross (lineart) books and Newtype magazines, the only new art is the stuff on Macross F - and there's not that much of it. If you don't own a bunch of Macross books, then the twice monthly databook is a treasure trove of Macross goodies.

Recommended if you don't own very many Macross books, or are a nut about Macross.

- The binder isn't quite worth the cost (you could pick up a much, much cheaper one at a ï¿¥100 shop (or dollar store) near you. Though, it is covered in Macross graphics and comes with dividers to seperate the data from subsequent Macross Chronicle releases... er, issues.

PS there was all of one binder on the shelf in the shop that I went to - and I took it! I don't know if there were any earlier in the day. Nevertheless, understocked is true. (Maybe the shops are hedging their bets, as binders for previous data book releases, such as Gundam, X-Files, Star Trek, or Evangelion, haven't sold that well.)