About the Macross Chronicles

Cost-wise, the magazine was 590yen and the binder was 1779yen. Add tx and thats a total of 2369yen for issue 1.

I paid 1780 for the binder (total 2370.) Is your store cutting off the 1 yen as a discount or something?

(PS tax is included in all Japanese prices since like 2 years ago (everyone I know thinks the government wants to raise the consumption tax a few points and want to hide it by doing it this way...) The prices given (590 and 1780) include tax. W/o tax, it's 562 and 1695; as per the cover and the label on the box that the binder comes in.)

Does anybody know if Macross Chronicles is going to be offered through Diamond comics preview magazine? :unsure:

If I remember correctly (and if the comics industry hasn't changed that radically since I worked in the retail branch of it) then if Diamond comics was offering issue one, it would have already done so. Probably 1 or 2 months ago.

I paid 1780 for the binder (total 2370.) Is your store cutting off the 1 yen as a discount or something?

(PS tax is included in all Japanese prices since like 2 years ago (everyone I know thinks the government wants to raise the consumption tax a few points and want to hide it by doing it this way...) The prices given (590 and 1780) include tax. W/o tax, it's 562 and 1695; as per the cover and the label on the box that the binder comes in.)

Well that was what was on my receipt. Your math is correct so who knows how they figured it out.

For all the governments propaganda, the GST is added at different points in the sale depending on the store. Its a real mess. Shouldnt have any influence on the final price but meh, I aint complaining.

The binder is nice, btw. Actual series listings on the back. Eva and Gundam folders were relatively boring but the Macross one is actually informative! hahaha.

Bought mine from toysntoys yesterday along with my 1/60 Roy. Pretty good pricing. ;)

Hopefully they have binders ....i don't mind having just the binder. Hehehe.

wolfx, do you have any idea where I can get Macross Chronicles in KL? Hopefully the binder is sold there too...

wolfx, do you have any idea where I can get Macross Chronicles in KL? Hopefully the binder is sold there too...

You can get it from Kino KL but it is about 3 weeks late as it is a sea shipment

Is that mean that I can only get the first issue next month? That's suck. :(

Still, thanks for the info, vanpang! :)

No worries bro, I think it is more like 1st week of August actually. Also Kino KL has not confirm whether they can get the binder yet.

the GST is added at different points in the sale depending on the store. Its a real mess. Shouldnt have any influence on the final price but meh, I aint complaining.

GST? This isn't Canada. That 5% is the consumption tax. As it's required to be included in the sticker price on all things sold, it shouldn't be added during the purchasing process. At most, all the register should be doing is telling the purchaser how much tax was paid.

No worries bro, I think it is more like 1st week of August actually. Also Kino KL has not confirm whether they can get the binder yet.

Well, another bad news. At least, they say it's not sure yet, so there's still a little hope. :)

Again, thanks for the news, vanpang!

GST? This isn't Canada. That 5% is the consumption tax. As it's required to be included in the sticker price on all things sold, it shouldn't be added during the purchasing process. At most, all the register should be doing is telling the purchaser how much tax was paid.

Just semantics really isnt it? Goods & Services Tax is more or less the same as a Consumption Tax - Ive seen the two terms used pretty interchangeably in government literature.

Quickie scanlation (though, frankly I'm surprised how much English there is. The binder, for example, is only in English!)

Macross Chronicle Series Guide:

There are 2 types of pages: Regular Sheets and Special Sheets.

Regular Sheets:

Mechanic Sheet

Character Sheet

Timeline Sheet

World Guide Sheet

History Sheet

Technology Sheet

Special Sheet:

Gallery Sheet

Song Sheet

Goods Sheet

Glossary Sheet

Tribure Sheet

Making Sheet

Extra Sheet

How to file Mechanic, Character and History sheets:

Step 1: Classified by the production icon*

Step 2: Classified by the power icon*

Step 3: File by the sheet number

Step 4: File by the alphabet letter on the sheets

*Production Icons and power icon meanings (presented in the order of listing. First is topmost):

Zero = Macross Zero; UN Army, Anti UN, Civilian, Other

M = SDF:M; UN Army, Zentraedi, Civilian, Other

FB = Flashback 2012; UN Army, Zentraedi, Civilian, Other

Plus = Macross Plus; UN Army, Civilian, Other

7 = Macross 7; UN Army, Zentraedi, Varuta, Civilian, Other

7銀 = Macross 7 Movie; UN Army, Zentraedi, Varuta, Civilian, Other

D7 = Macross 7 Dynamite; UN Army, Zentraedi, Civilian, Other

F = Macross F; New UN Army, Civilian, Other, ?**

æ„› = DYRL?; UN Army, Zentraedi, Meltraendi, Protoculture, Civilian, Other

II = Macross II; UN Army, Marduk, Civilian, Other

ä»– = Other***

** It doesn't say it, but I think additional icons will be added as Macross F continues. I'm guessing Macross Galaxy. Possibly also the Vajra (but as it's already halfway through the series and we know about them... isn't it a bit odd that there isn't an icon for them?????)

*** Includes mechanics, character, etc. for games and etc.. (Ex: VF-14 Vampire, Battle 13, Neo-gluag)

Edited by sketchley

How to file Worldguide, Technology and Timeline sheets:

Step 1: arrange in the sheet number order

Step 2: Order by the alphabet letter next to the sheet numbers.

Ex: Refer to the production icon to which it refers to. The corresponding production icon(s) are coloured.

How to file gallery and song sheets:

Step 1: order by the production icon. Arrange how you like per production.

How to file goods and glossary sheets:

Step 1: File by the sheet number.  Arrange the genres how you like, as the page numbering is by genre. The glossary is arranged by the syllable order.

To the guy who was suprised at the inclusion of a minor Macross II character in the first issue I think they would have done that to prove how detailed and deep the files will be.

I picked up issue one today but since it looks like its going to be pricey in the long run and I only have Perfect Memory, the Macross 7 orange book and a few other random books I think I`d rather focus on collecting up the original books which I would much rather hold.

I`ll wait for a stand alone Macross Frontier book to come out.

No Macross Chronicles for me.

Yeah thats fair enuff. No excuse I suppose. When I talk about taxes its usually in Japanese. In english - well, its a set percent thats charged when i buy something and is often shown or not on the price tag according to the shop - ie, exactly the same as the GST back home (NOT Canada, thank you very much). So I think of it as a GST.

But technically you are correct.

And anal '-p

More importantly than talking tax (and btw, I worked in the Japanese Govt for 3 years. Wrong or not, I HAVE heard the tax referred to as a GST in english before just to make it shorter. Technically wrong yes, but I speak from first hand experience), back to the topic at hand - who got the magazine?

Impressions? Anyone?

And am I the only one looking forward to the blu-ray?? (not to mention the Macross Zero set next month!)

Yup, its a grand time to be a fan.

Fair enough. Short hand works for me, too. (I noticed some inconsistencies on that government site; with at least one link referring to it as consumption, but the contents of the link referring it as a tax on goods and services! Yes. Anal I be.)

Impressions, see reply #105: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s=&a...st&p=630935

I'm also looking forward to the bluray. Getting a player is next on the list. (Want that Nyannyan first pressing action, baby.) My DVDs haven't looked up to snuff ever since we got that new plasma high vision screen, and some of the shots in Macross F are just eye-bleedingly great at high vision resolution on the big screen! There's detail in there that I notice on the big screen that I don't even see watching the 1440x1080 MP4's on my 1440x900 monitor!

Though, come to think of it, I remember reading one of the sales points of the bluray release being that high vision detail...

I ordered late, so I'll likely get it late. But I'm not too worried, I can wait. I think the Macross Chronicles is definitely the book to have. I'm also hoping they include some line art not found in the other books. I don't own a lot of Macross books (only about a half dozen), so this is definitely worth it in my opinion. I think it will be quite definitive.

Perhaps we'll finally get some more complete stats on the valkyries and other mecha. I'd like Super Pack stats for all the Valkyries, like missile count, thrust and all that. It would also be nice to see more than the bare minimum statistics we currently have for the VF-0 Phoenix, the SV-51, the VF-4 Lightning III, the VF-5000 Star Mirage and the VB-6 Konig. If there was any time to make the official literature a bit more complete, this would be it.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the Macross Chronicles can disappoint me in any significant sense. I've pretty much wanted something like the Chronicles for about two decades now; it's part of the reason I made my website. Whatever the Chronicles could be above and beyond my expectations is just my ideal hopes and I'll still be happy even if it's just a collected works.

With all the information in Chronicle, I hope Egan can spare some time to make massive update on the compendium. Chronicle could became a new bible for Macross fan. ^_^

I can't wait for the next issue, SDF-1 Macross and SNN valk technical pages.

WAIT A MINUTE!

So I just paid $33 for JUST the binder from HMV???? I was under the impression that the binder included the magazine as a special edition of the first issue of the publication! This is total bull!! :angry: :angry: I can't believe I just paid a ridiculous amount of EMS shipping to ship an empty binder!

Ah, the joys of importing. :)

I wish we had more options. Such is life.

For other Canadians, I'm getting mine through Sophia Books in Vancouver. For me that's a local pick up but it might work for some of you too. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an import book store like Sophia in Toronto.

You may also want to try the Japanese book store in Richmond. In... Yaohan Centre? I'm not sure about Japanese bookstores in other parts of Canada. However, I've heard of branches of Japanese stores like Kinokuniya in LA and maybe one other part of the US. You may want to try them, too. You'll still have to pay additional costs. But I'm fairly certain that it'll be less than ordering direct from Japan.

Edit1: Found info on it:

Iwase Books

Map and contact info in English: http://www.iwasebooks.com/j_company.html

Japanese page with contact info in English and link to company homepage with English: http://www.iwasebooks.co.jp/tempo/van.htm

Edit2: Apparently they take subscription orders.

Edited by sketchley

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the Macross Chronicles can disappoint me in any significant sense. I've pretty much wanted something like the Chronicles for about two decades now; it's part of the reason I made my website. Whatever the Chronicles could be above and beyond my expectations is just my ideal hopes and I'll still be happy even if it's just a collected works.

<shrugs> Just saying the best advice given to gaikokujin about Japan. Expect nothing, and be surprised. Expect something, and be disappointed.

<shrugs> Just saying the best advice given to gaikokujin about Japan. Expect nothing, and be surprised. Expect something, and be disappointed.

Oh comeon man, turn that frown upside down. Japan is like anywhere else - you get out of it what you put in!

That way its all proportional - and after 7 years, Im still not disappointed!

Then again, maybe its just because you are down in Osaka, ie tourist central :-p

BTW - if the guys from last night are reading this - was good seeing you. Its a shame there were no more Macross shot glasses left, but sipping Alto cocktails while listening to Sakamoto Maaya was definately a good way to spend a Friday night :-)

Nice little book. I picked mine up with the binder yesterday. Lots of info and the overall look is great. I recommend this to all Macross fans.

The only drawback is the front cover does not have the holes for the binder and it is not easy to take apart.....And the cover is quite nice to.....

Rob

Edited by samurai_m

Nice little book. I picked mine up with the binder yesterday. Lots of info and the overall look is great. I recommend this to all Macross fans.

The only drawback is the front cover does not have the holes for the binder and it is not easy to take apart.....And the cover is quite nice to.....

Rob

Thats always the problem with these kinds of magazines. But believe me, 50 or 100 issues on you"ll be glad you have those binders!

I found it quite easy to take apart. Mind you, I did it page by page, and gently. At one time, I mistakenly was pulling out two pages, and it was resisting more. So yeah, go page by page, and gently, and one should have no problems.

For other Canadians, I'm getting mine through Sophia Books in Vancouver. For me that's a local pick up but it might work for some of you too. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an import book store like Sophia in Toronto.

WHAT!!!

I asked them about it a few months back and they had no idea!!!

Oh well, I subscribed to a mail order house for the first year of issues, so not much I can do about that now.

I'm definitely going to get the rest from Sophia books.

How much was the subscription?

Thats always the problem with these kinds of magazines. But believe me, 50 or 100 issues on you"ll be glad you have those binders!

Some stationary stores have magazine inserts that have holes so you don't have to rip appart the issues. They are not very common, but they are out there.