Macross Frontier Episode 9 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 9 Rating  

207 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate episode 9?

• Positive (Michael and Klan put an arrow my heart..awwwwww)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (I can shoot better than that womanizer)

This was another great episode. Plenty of good drama and plenty of action. It was also great seeing some more Macross mecha staples,

like Alto looking over his Battroid, Klan at full size next to Mikhail's VF-25, and at last, the micloning chamber. I want to know more about the VF-27 cockpit so I can know if either of my guesses (full holographic or cyberspace) is correct. Plus, after seeing the VF-27's miniature converging energy beam gun, I want to know more about that too.

Oh yeah, and Brera just got on my bad side

for hurting Klan Klan

. Like William Goldman wrote of another dazzling female; There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a shame to ruin yours :)

Michel jokes about whether she wants to sleep with him and then makes a crack about how there'd be problems since she's a minor when micloned. That's why she slaps him.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Michel could undergo the same procedure that Max did in DYRL and become a giant, only to discover that he had a "deficiency" at that size that he doesn't as a human? A taste of his own medicine, methinks

:lol:

Anyways, thanks for that. My Japanese isn't that good so I wasn't quite sure what he said to get himself slapped. Knowing that, it seems an appropriate reaction.

C'mon, we all love Bobby, don't we?? (If you have read some of my previous posts you will notice that I support B.O.I.N.G anyway. So I am spoken for. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Shower scene.........*gurgles*) :lol:

BTW, do we have any translation as to why Bobby got annoyed with Ranka's manager?

Taksraven

Bobby warns him that she's the younger sister of someone very important to him so if the manager neglects her, he's dead. He was also wondering why she's stuck with such a shitty promotion campaign. They put up a site for Ranka, but someone hacked it immediately.

(presumeably humans can't actually be macloned like Max was in DYRL)

Isn't Mikhail part Zentradi? It's been established through Emilia in the M7 movie that at least half Zentadi can be macronized.

Seemed like a waste of time. Not as much as the last episode was. There's some character development but not much for the larger story. Which still by episode 9 remains mostly a mystery.

The expressions on the VF-25 seem too sentient for me. Sure it transforms but it's not an Transformer.

They put up a site for Ranka, but someone hacked it immediately.

Gee... I wonder who would do such a horrible thing?

:rolleyes:

Other items...

When are they going to give the VF-171s some weapons that, you know, actually work!? What good is placing a defensive combat patrol over a friendly vessel if the defensive units can't actually hurt the bad guys? Sure the VF-171s can hurt the white Vajra, but they can't seem to do more than scratch the paint on the red ones.

It was nice to see Alto pull the same trick on Brera that Brera pulled on Clan Clan - i.e. charging out of the explosion with guns blazing.

It's going to be a bit harder for Leon to explain away this sighting of the VF-27. SMS now has a wrecked Pixie, and three eye-witnesses to the fighter. Leon can't just steal the footage and claim that an inexperienced pilot was seeing things.

Michel jokes about whether she wants to sleep with him and then makes a crack about how there'd be problems since she's a minor when micloned. That's why she slaps him.

Thanks for the summary. Given that Clan Clan colors slightly at the first part of his comment, it's possible that Mikhail really did touch on something there. So it's possible that my guess wasn't so far off-base? Off course, then he carries the comment further, and she hauls off and slaps him before tearing up and leaving. Not nice on his part.

Actually, the fact that he'd even bring use that suggests further to me that there's something there, and that both are aware of it on a certain level (which may or may not be acknowledged). The comment was obviously meant to hurt her, and it seems unlikely that he'd use that sort of thing if there wasn't at least a little bit of something that he was aware of at least subconsciously. He had to know when he said it that the barb would stick, and if there wasn't something then she probably would have had a nasty rejoinder instead of tears (though she still might have slapped him; he earned that no matter how she might feel about him).

nice episode, but...

I was kinda disappointed with the lack of Plus-level angst and intensity in the squabble between Alto and Michel. It was just lacking. I'm guessing they're saving up the angst for the inevitable Alto-vs-Brera fist-fight.

Other than that, the story flowed really well.

Oh, and I'm not sure if the spoiler-free zone for pics have been lifted, yet, but here's a tease:

65303wg9.th.jpg

B))

Anyway

now I know how Bobby was able to put on Alto-hime's makeup so quickly...

rofl Great pic.

iirc, the bridge bunnies were commenting about how cute he was back in episode 4 (when he had to do the laps while wearing the EX-Gear. Did they decide to find out more about him?

Another pic shows Alto standing behind Sheryl while she appears to be on-set. It would be amusing if she tried to get him into the Shin role. Not that I think it will happen for a variety of reasons (for one thing, the director would never go for it and Sheryl would have to be aware of that), but it would still be amusing.

Actually, the fact that he'd even bring use that suggests further to me that there's something there, and that both are aware of it on a certain level (which may or may not be acknowledged). The comment was obviously meant to hurt her, and it seems unlikely that he'd use that sort of thing if there wasn't at least a little bit of something that he was aware of at least subconsciously. He had to know when he said it that the barb would stick, and if there wasn't something then she probably would have had a nasty rejoinder instead of tears (though she still might have slapped him; he earned that no matter how she might feel about him).

I don't think he was trying to hurt her or anything. Instead it was more like he wanted to move the conversation away from the serious stuff about his sister. The conversation started with her asking him if he couldn't sleep so to him it was just a continuation of that opening comment. Plus he was asking why she slapped him

I'm still loving this show immensely...

I feel really dumb for not suspecting that there was more to Grace...

And I'm of two minds about Michael's ridiculously expressive VF...on the one hand, it makes no sense. On the other, it was funny. And I'm mildly surprised that there hasn't been serious rage over that scene here...after all, a good number of MW'ers find Valks with faces offensive...wouldn't you think that Valks that ACT like they have faces would be worse...?

And I'm with Taksraven...seeing the M0 pier only served to remind me of it getting blown up (and the old lady on the boat screaming...and the kid sobbing, holding his dead mother's hand...).

...Makes me hope the next episode isn't Zero Lite ("Zero Lite"...man, that sounds like the most flavorless beer EVER...).

The fight was good (I wasn't too worried about Klan...it's too early to kill off anyone who's in the OP), the conspiracy is getting deeper and weirder, they appear to be making Sheryl's flight training into a reality show...

Good stuff, all of it.

I don't think he was trying to hurt her or anything. Instead it was more like he wanted to move the conversation away from the serious stuff about his sister. The conversation started with her asking him if he couldn't sleep so to him it was just a continuation of that opening comment. Plus he was asking why she slapped him

Interesting... So he hit a sore spot and didn't know it? Maybe she likes him, but he's completely oblivious to it? Given the obvious problems with her miclone, it's not likely that he'd sound her out even if he did really like her.

On an only loosely related subject, the flashback still of Clan Clan making a swing for Mikhail was pretty funny.

Well I loved this episode, may be my favorite yet.

A mix of character intrigue and back story with good mecha action,

The best of which is the VF-27 and the VF-25G.

Mikhail's VF-25G is my personal favorite of the Skull Squadron fighters. Blue was always my favorite color (Max is also a favorite of mine in any series) but I also like the sniper abilities. I hope the G variant is released in the DX line form Bandai (which hopefully will be looking better once the product is finished). I'm going to have fun screen capping this episode for my picture library, I think I'll be having a new avatar of the 25G to replace my current one soon.

I thought they did the animation in this ep very well indeed

(except for the council meeting of the cabal of faceless endeavors).

;)

I seriously can't wait for subs on this one, I want to understand everything along with the superficial coolness that this episode was.

And that's 12 hours. Spoiler notice is over.

It's going to be a bit harder for Leon to explain away this sighting of the VF-27. SMS now has a wrecked Pixie, and three eye-witnesses to the fighter. Leon can't just steal the footage and claim that an inexperienced pilot was seeing things.

An unidentified VF which they have no record of. :mellow: Must have been different unit. Yes. A different unit. They have no knowledge that unit. ^_^

Isn't Mikhail part Zentradi? It's been established through Emilia in the M7 movie that at least half Zentadi can be macronized.

No where has it been said that Michael is part Zentradi.

I'm going to have fun screen capping this episode for my picture library, I think I'll be having a new avatar of the 25G to replace my current one soon.

I hope it's a GIF of the

silly thing getting slapped

BTW, has it been 12 hours yet...?

I hope it's a GIF of the

silly thing getting slapped

BTW, has it been 12 hours yet...?

Azrael just declared the 12 hours up. Actually I saw Bill C. made a couple of the G getting slapped, but I am more into beauty shots of my machines (it will be mine, muhahahaha!!!!).

I think literally ANYBODY could be macronized...not just Max in DYRL (which may not count), but Graham in D7 as well...

I've heard something similar about his background. It's probably speculation based on the fact that his ears are definitely pointed when compared to other characters (you can see this quite clearly during his conversation with Grace early in the episode).

Edit - 12 hours is up! And it was an almost useless spoiler tag anyway...

Edited by junior

On an only loosely related subject, the flashback still of Clan Clan making a swing for Mikhail was pretty funny.

I was really slow with that one. I originally thought, "Oh, isn't it cute, she's got a dolly" and the next thought "Wait a minute!!" :lol: :lol:

Mikhail + Klan + (the new) Romeo + Juliet?? So sad. I predict that these two might not have a nice fate, the same as Shakespeares lovers. But whatever happens, they will be together at the end. :wub:

Taksraven

I think his ears are a bit of a give away, unless there's a new trend in the Macross universe where normal humans have plastic surgery to get pointy ears. Either that or Mikhail and his sister are Zolan.

I've heard something similar about his background. It's probably speculation based on the fact that his ears are definitely pointed when compared to other characters (you can see this quite clearly during his conversation with Grace early in the episode).

Mikhail has variable ears. At times pointy and at other times not.

Taksraven

I always wondered if their small form was literally a clone body or not, apparently it may be.. however this chamber seems to just convert her to energy and rematerializes her as a giant.

And it is obvious about Mikhail, he is a super trekkie and just is wearing Spock ears! :lol:

I always wondered if their small form was literally a clone body or not, apparently it may be.. however this chamber seems to just convert her to energy and rematerializes her as a giant.

I'm not sure what the difference is...

Either way, the miclone process doesn't involve shrinking, which was always my worry.

Hooray for Klan-klan micronization animation sequence... them Klan-Klans are HUGE :D

More blade action courtesy of Alto is always good.

But yet again Alto's VF makes a visit to the repair bay... man how much does he owe SMS by now?

Those poopoo-ing Brera's skills are a bit critical. It was a 3 vs 1 fight. And its not like the 3 he was up against were CF material. Imagine if Brera had 2 more of his 27 buddies to back him up. The fact that he went up against 3 fighters, suffered minor damage and still manage to complete his mission and play the harmonica says something for him. :D

Mmmm a Mac0 remake... would pay tickets to see that movie DYRL style :D... could a VF-0/ SV-51 make an appearance? we can only wish.

I kinda liked how the VF-25 translated motion into expression.

Just finished watching episode 8 and I enjoyed it, however it did not "feel" like a complete episode; it was almost as if something was missing. I was glad to see Alto get that butt whipping (he had that comming), and to see more of the VF-27

in action. As far as I can tell, it looks like michael's sister might have killed herself after what appears to be a trial or a court-marshal, I'm not sure. Finally, did I hear one of the pixies call Klan "sister"? Are they sisters? :unsure: