YF-19 3D modeling

Sakura Shinguji

After learning the existence of two Macross-related game projects, I was inspired to do a 3D model of one of my most favorite valkyries, the YF-19. Unfortunately, I am a beginner at 3D modeling. I have been watching Ruak's YouTube videos of modeling the VF-0 but quickly realized that I cannot perform the same tasks in Blender at all; not that it matters... I am still not finished yet but I do admit that I have gained quite a lot of experience so far. This version is based off the lovely 1/60 Yamato model. I really hope that both projects will play as great as what their respected project managers hope them to be.

post-5101-1212008691_thumb.png

post-5101-1212008702_thumb.png

Interesting links:

Ruak's VF-0 Block in

Macross Flight Simulation

Free Fan Robotech/Macross game project

Edited by Sakura Shinguji

After learning the existence of two Macross-related game projects, I was inspired to do a 3D model of one of my most favorite valkyries, the YF-19. Unfortunately, I am a beginner at 3D modeling. I have been watching Ruak's YouTube videos of modeling the VF-0 but quickly realized that I cannot perform the same tasks in Blender at all; not that it matters... I am still not finished yet but I do admit that I have gained quite a lot of experience so far. This version is based off the lovely 1/60 Yamato model. I really hope that both projects will play as great as what their respected project managers hope them to be.

post-5101-1212008691_thumb.png

post-5101-1212008702_thumb.png

Interesting links:

Ruak's VF-0 Block in

Macross Flight Simulation

Free Fan Robotech/Macross game project

You are doing great!

Be patient. To create my first transformable valkyrie not very detailed one (low poly, 4000 triangles ) I needed about 2-3 weeks (including time I spent for working on tutorials) for modelling/texturing/animation.

I would advise you to create very general model first, without transformation. Aslo draw a texture for it - it will look much better with it, even if the texture is not perfect. The tast is quite feasible + you will get experience.

Good luck!

P.S. Thanks for the advertisment of my project HAHA

Edited by SeminNV

It's coming along pretty nicely :) Just try to keep the poly count below 10k, else our machines our going to suffer ehehehe

Front Flaps? There's the slats, wich are made in the leading edge of the wings, that improve the flight performance on low speeds. The canards make the aircraft more unstable, and this way, more manouverable. Btw, if you want some tips on 3D modelling, check the targetware forum, there are some good tips and hints and a few tutorials there.

http://www.targetware.net/modules.php?op=m...wforum&f=31

It's coming along pretty nicely :) Just try to keep the poly count below 10k, else our machines our going to suffer ehehehe

Front Flaps? There's the slats, wich are made in the leading edge of the wings, that improve the flight performance on low speeds. The canards make the aircraft more unstable, and this way, more manouverable. Btw, if you want some tips on 3D modelling, check the targetware forum, there are some good tips and hints and a few tutorials there.

http://www.targetware.net/modules.php?op=m...wforum&f=31

Hey! Not fair :ph34r: ! I hired him first :lol:

Edited by SeminNV

Hey! Not fair :ph34r: ! I hired him first :lol:

Ha ha ha... I am actually a "her", not that it matters anyway.

I would advise you to create very general model first, without transformation. Aslo draw a texture for it - it will look much better with it, even if the texture is not perfect. The tast is quite feasible + you will get experience.

3D modeling has always been fun for me. The only reason why I made the pieces as opposed to the whole aircraft is because I felt that the aircraft be able to transform! However, you are right because I also did not want seams to appear in fighter mode. Thank you!

I am a fan of "MechWarrior 4", "Armored Core" series, "Steel Battalion" and the "Ace Combat" series. I would love to see what will be the end result of both projects!

hey that is a really great start. I like the proportions already, and as for your game choices they are all my favorites as well. I am in the middle of my third play thru on ace combat 5 :)

I unlocked everything from "Ace Combat 5: Unsung War". My favorite aircraft is surprisingly the SU-47 Berkut and not the S-32 variation. I also liked the SU-37 Terminator and F-22 Raptor. Thank you for the comments and also thank you for posting those YouTube videos. The videos has really inspired me to retry modeling; actually, those videos and the possibilities of a mecha simulation did.

Despite making no progress because of me being on a business trip to the PTC User Expo this week, I wanted to show everyone updates on the YF-19. I wanted to transform with the parts that I made already to see how the model turned out. The following is the result.

post-5101-1212722562_thumb.png

post-5101-1212722700_thumb.png

post-5101-1212722772_thumb.png

post-5101-1212722851_thumb.png

post-5101-1212722955_thumb.png

post-5101-1212723044_thumb.png

Despite making no progress because of me being on a business trip to the PTC User Expo this week, I wanted to show everyone updates on the YF-19. I wanted to transform with the parts that I made already to see how the model turned out. The following is the result.

post-5101-1212722562_thumb.png

post-5101-1212722700_thumb.png

post-5101-1212722772_thumb.png

post-5101-1212722851_thumb.png

post-5101-1212722955_thumb.png

post-5101-1212723044_thumb.png

WOW! )))

but my wow is not addressed to your modelling and animation skills only))

I am thinking of... a girl... who loves macross/PC games ... models transformable valkyries...:wub:

^_^

Edited by SeminNV

Keep it up, its looking great. I wanna see some renders like these soon!

Mine doesn't transform though. The transformation sequence is crazy on this thing.

949759766_b1d96981eb_o.jpg

949759726_c81d0b5dd0_o.jpg

Your model is very intimidatingly beautiful! I am still too new to 3D modeling. Often, I feel like I do not have enough control over how the faces are placed. Regardless, I know that if I keep on working on the model, everything will come out well. Thanks for displaying your pictures~!

WOW! )))

but my wow is not addressed to your modelling and animation skills only))

I am thinking of... a girl... who loves macross/PC games ... models transformable valkyries...:wub:

^_^

Why not~? I was born in 1980. Around that time, everyone was inspired to be pioneers. People were always trying to drive faster or fly higher than any other person. Everyone wanted to be an astronaut, aircraft pilot, martial artist, motorbike or race car driver at the time. Some popular themes were advanced robots, cars with gimmicks built-in, and good versus evil (And winning! Even the heroes were self-sacrificing and not emotional or whiny like in present day). I was extremely lucky to be endowed with that same spirit and passion. I feel that my interests, my personality, and what I am today are the results of such...

Now that I think about it, probably that is why I am so fascinated with the YF-19. In the past, swept-forward wings are often a feature that no aircraft maker with the right mind would want to create. That is because the wings would break off if they were made with normal materials. Since fortune favors the brave, we learned that there are advantages to having that feature.

Regardless, I just feel that the spirit of the YF-19 comes from the ability think "outside-the-box" and be unyielding no matter how many times we, humans, experience failure. (the YF-19 design experienced many failures before and during Isamu, lost to the melee combat against the YF-21, didn't compare well to the YF-21 in terms of weapons payload, speed, and that brain-direct imaging system (kinda forgot on that detail, but I do remember that in Macross M3, the YF-21 was better in stats while the YF-19 had more expansion slots, causing the plane to be versatile))

Why not~? I was born in 1980. Around that time, everyone was inspired to be pioneers. People were always trying to drive faster or fly higher than any other person. Everyone wanted to be an astronaut, aircraft pilot, martial artist, motorbike or race car driver at the time. Some popular themes were advanced robots, cars with gimmicks built-in, and good versus evil (And winning! Even the heroes were self-sacrificing and not emotional or whiny like in present day). I was extremely lucky to be endowed with that same spirit and passion. I feel that my interests, my personality, and what I am today are the results of such...

Awesome.

Best of luck!

Go get 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like you have the toy))

I mean that all details are very correct. I didn't not work on the models you sent me so far, just put it into the queue

Now I am busy with VF-4. Are you planning to draw a texture? If not - just send me your fnished model, I will draw the texture myself.

Again, thanks for you contribution to the project!

Yes, I do, infact, have the Yamato 1/60 YF-19~! Sadly, I do not have the fast pack attachments, but someday, I do hope to get them whenever they are really cheap. Is the VF-4 Lightning that you are making transformable? It seems hard to find a good reference for that aircraft and the majority of the ones in Macross M3. Even though I can rip the 3D models from Macross M3, I rather not. That reminds me! For consistency sake, does any of your aircrafts have transparent glass and a cockpit inside?

Yes, I do, infact, have the Yamato 1/60 YF-19~! Sadly, I do not have the fast pack attachments, but someday, I do hope to get them whenever they are really cheap. Is the VF-4 Lightning that you are making transformable? It seems hard to find a good reference for that aircraft and the majority of the ones in Macross M3. Even though I can rip the 3D models from Macross M3, I rather not. That reminds me! For consistency sake, does any of your aircrafts have transparent glass and a cockpit inside?

yeap, Dartallion lent me his VF-4, now I am working on its animation, also I want to redraw texture for it

As for transparacy - in the engine ther is no problem with rendering transparent object. But in this case you need to model cockpit interior.

Models requirement is no more than approximately 5000 polys. Try to put everything - mesh + animation in 1 file or I do it myself.

You can do animation, but I think I will take your mesh and do or redo the animation as I see it))

Edited by SeminNV

This looks awesome so far! I noticed by the screenshots that you are still using version 2.42. You should upgrade to 2.46, since they have added all kinds of useful modeling tools such as a knife tool and the create polygon tool. They have also made some dramatic improvements to the UV unwrapping system and the rigging system.

This looks awesome so far! I noticed by the screenshots that you are still using version 2.42. You should upgrade to 2.46, since they have added all kinds of useful modeling tools such as a knife tool and the create polygon tool. They have also made some dramatic improvements to the UV unwrapping system and the rigging system.

I eventually did use Blender 2.46, but not because of the above features. Making sure, I always thought that the "create polygon tool" was always available. I simply either extrude, or just select four vertices and use the "F" key, or select two faces and press the "F" key to make a polygon. The knife tool was available in 2.42, which was really required to split up the aircraft into pieces. Blender 2.46 did have the "snap to vertice" feature which helped in hiding the seams of the pieces. Truthfully though, I really do feel like I am only scratching the surface of what Blender can do. I do feel guilty about that but I do not have time nor work on a lot of 3D based projects to fully experience the depths of Blender. From my experience, I think that Blender is a lot better than 3D Studio in terms of low-polygon modeling.

• 4 weeks later...

She is not finished yet. (obviously~!!!) One week for modeling, a bit less than one week for rigging/animating, and a bit more than one week on mapping so far and the result looks like an ugly pig with lipstick. It has been very hard to make a realistic looking texture. I do not think that I am being stingy on the polygons, but so far, she has 4057 vertices and 3939 polygons. Other than that, nothing else is happening.

post-5101-1216416559_thumb.png

post-5101-1216416568_thumb.png

post-5101-1216416576_thumb.png

post-5101-1216416583_thumb.png

She is not finished yet. (obviously~!!!) One week for modeling, a bit less than one week for rigging/animating, and a bit more than one week on mapping so far and the result looks like an ugly pig with lipstick. It has been very hard to make a realistic looking texture. I do not think that I am being stingy on the polygons, but so far, she has 4057 vertices and 3939 polygons. Other than that, nothing else is happening.

post-5101-1216416559_thumb.png

post-5101-1216416568_thumb.png

post-5101-1216416576_thumb.png

post-5101-1216416583_thumb.png

Looks cool! Could you do rendering without these lines?

• 1 month later...
I cannot wait to make up my own special paint variation~!

post-5101-1220879491_thumb.png

post-5101-1220879497_thumb.png

post-5101-1220879505_thumb.png

post-5101-1220879510_thumb.png

:wacko:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Guys, if you don't know yet, it is a GIRL who is modelling that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

****************inlove (with YF-19)))) till the end of time********************

:wub:

Edited by SeminNV

You got a real beauty there, especially for only having 4000 polygons :D

I've made a few YF-19 models before, but since they've all been for flight sims, I've never tried rigging them up for transforming, and they've all been based on the Hasegawa fighter kit, so they'd look positively hideous as a battroid.

I really know what you mean with regards to having control over the polygons though.. I'm a bit obsessive over which way triangles face in my models, and I used to build things one polygon at a time with Rhinoceros 3D (I'd actually build a curve framework, then fill in the polygons). I've since moved on to 3D Studio Max (the plugins used to export Microsoft Flight Sim aircraft models are all for 3DSMax or Gmax) and I fell in love with making complex surfaces with spline cages. But I still pick over the meshes polygon by polygon to make them look right. :)

One thing that occurs to me though, do you have any plans for this model? The reason I ask is that while you say you weren't being stingy with polygons, this still is a low polygon count compared to many of the models used in games today (my flight sim models usually range in the 20k-50k polygon range for comparison ;) ). In fact, a model of this detail level would be perfect for use in action games, since developers like to keep polycounts low to allow lots of objects on screen and keep framerates high.

Edited by Chronocidal

You got a real beauty there, especially for only having 4000 polygons :D

Thanks~!!! Initially, when I made the post, I saw that Blender reported 4124 faces. Faces can be either a tri or a quad polygon. Unfortunately, when exporting the model, some file formats require the model to be in triangles, therefore the real polygon count is 7922. Looking in the bright side, I know for sure that I can decrease the count by removing the boosters, and other small details that most people will not care about.

I've made a few YF-19 models before, but since they've all been for flight sims, I've never tried rigging them up for transforming, and they've all been based on the Hasegawa fighter kit, so they'd look positively hideous as a battroid.

Hasegawa has always been so strange to me... When I was texturing the model, I noticed that the Hasegawa kit has a lot of panel lines that are not in the movie's, ova's or Yamato's blueprints. Regardless, I did try to place some of those pretty lines on my model. I <3 panel lines because I think that they make the model look realistic. Unfortunately, I think that no one really agree where those lines should be. Another Century's Episode 3, Yamato, Hasegawa, and other blueprints never seem to agree with each other on some details.

One thing that occurs to me though, do you have any plans for this model? The reason I ask is that while you say you weren't being stingy with polygons, this still is a low polygon count compared to many of the models used in games today (my flight sim models usually range in the 20k-50k polygon range for comparison ;) ). In fact, a model of this detail level would be perfect for use in action games, since developers like to keep polycounts low to allow lots of objects on screen and keep framerates high.

Even after realizing that the model has 7922 polygons, I still hope that I can find a nice engine to drop the variable fighter in. I can always drop the landing gears, cockpit, and those mini boosters to further decrease the count. There are two projects to my knowledge that involves flight simulators with the ability to transform. Neither are finished yet either... X_X

To Chronocidal: I almost forgot to tell you thanks for your kind words... Sorry~!

SeminNV: Thanks for being impressed. As I have told you many times, there are other girls who read this forum too. And thanks to Macross F, there is now a flood of them drooling all over Alto-hime~! ^_^;;