1:72 Hasegawa GERWALK custom WIP

Rockhound

Evening everyone! Just finished my VF-0S w/Ghost booster and it's time for a new project.

Now presenting Rockhound's "How to build a model with minimal skills but mad heart!" This episode- Super Valk gerwalk! I will be using parts from the VF-1 Super Valk and Super Valk Battroid by Hasegawa. So stay tuned!

Here are the screenshots I figured out how to take to reference the kit.

post-7656-1211865793_thumb.png

post-7656-1211865809_thumb.pngpost-7656-1211865824_thumb.png

One of the things that will be tricky is the hyperextension of the knee joint, as well as the attachment of the arms in gerwalk form. There is an extremely well done tutorial by Chas that I will be following for the shoulders and knees. Another thing I will be adding, the flying missiles! Yes, I will be building the shooting missiles with the front ends of the missiles in the weapons kit, wire, and pulled cotton balls. Amazing!

Anyways, I'll be starting that tomorrow after my summer semester classes.

In the mean time, grit your teeth at my latest model, the VF-0S w/Ghost booster. You will cring in agony, cry tears of blood, and wonder why all my black decals turned gray. Hint: never used flat coat before, and will never use it again. My... beautiful... paintjob. I'm crying on the inside and white-knuckled on the outside.

post-7656-1211866094_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211866112_thumb.gif

Till tomorrow!

You mean testors flat coat? Never used it, but Krylon make a flat coat I've never had problems with. It's like 3.50 for a big ass can in the hardware store.

You mean testors flat coat? Never used it, but Krylon make a flat coat I've never had problems with. It's like 3.50 for a big ass can in the hardware store.

I was just wandering that, so Krylon Flatbase is good? Doesn't mess up paint nor decal? COOL! (sooooo cheaper!!!)

Hey Rockhound Don't you ever take a break? you're gonna burn yourself out man! Ha HA J/K

Anyway this is cut from my last post in your old gerwalk thread

Do keep in mind that if you include the Battriod "knee" parts the bottom part of the leg will not fold forward far enough for the position you want. If you want the leg to fold forward far enough for the "feet" to be parallel to and in front of the cockpit you will either have to leave out the "knee" parts or cut some extra clearance for them in the bottom section of the leg.

As for the arms I just checked on one of my gerwalk conversions and there's no problem getting the bicep horizontal, but in order to get them angled up the way they are in the pic you're gonna have to do some coaxing. (probably the kind where you use a razor saw if ya get my meaning ;) )

Anyway good luck.

Update: Day 1... The cockpit and pilot.

We all know to start with the cockpit and pilot. I won't bother writing a build-up of the valk, DrunkenMaster has an excellent thread going for that kit. In fact, I'm pretty much following it for my fighter parts!

Now, since the series' pilot suits are different than the movie, I thought I'd try to make such an adjustment. This includes adding a center flight stick to the cockpit, and trimming the excess from the pilot. That being said, I'm not recreating everything form the series. I'll be taking liberties here and there, (mainly due to my lack of scratchbuilding skills) but I'll be building it so it look slike the series, such as the pilot, the colors used, and the UN Spacy logo on the Fast packs instead of the traditional Skull Squadron bones.

post-7656-1211947961_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211947970_thumb.gif

Here is the pilot. I decided against changing the helmet since it was so small. I trimmed the shoulder pads off and the excess from the forearms. When you trim the shoulders, the arms stick straight out, so you have to sand the connecting point to make that surface parallel to the body. You'll get a little gap at the shoulders. Wait for the to dry then fill it with a little filler. The right arms should almost cross the chest to get to the center stick, and the lft arm should go almost straight down the body. The pilot is still a little rough, I need to smooth the forearms still and trim the excess from the right hand.

Also assembled some... subassemblies such as the nose/cockpit, main body, wings, and head.

That's all for now.

This includes adding a center flight stick to the cockpit, and trimming the excess from the pilot. That being said, I'm not recreating everything form the series. I'll be taking liberties here and there, (mainly due to my lack of scratchbuilding skills)

So you thought you'd show how your lack of skill enables you to rework a delicate figure less than an inch high. Your modest but far from lacking.

I'll be watching this thread. :)

My scratchbuilding meant things like a cockpit overhaul and a few things here and there. The pilot is pretty easy, just need those little clamps, an x-acto knife, and no fear of putting little cuts in your thumb. haha Thanks though Big F.

I forgot to mention, the pilot has that pack on his chest. That needs to be removed also, otherwise you'd think Millia was piloting. I'll use some sanding filler and fabricate some buckles and straps instead.

Geez, just got another idea for a project. Max's crazy VF-1J with missile rear stabs. Remember that episode?

Update: Day 2... finished subasemblies and fabricated hip flexor

I finished all the subassemblies- legs, armor, arms, gunpod. I decided that the gunpos would be help by hand instead of mounted on the side of the arm. In the anime, it looks like he's hoding it by hand.

I also did some hip flexor fabrication. I cut the back of the calf armor form the super valk plane kit and used it to cover the gap form the intake piece to the thigh part.

post-7656-1212037424_thumb.gif

Right now it looks gawd-awful. But I will be placing little strips I cut form the same calf armor to simulate "ribs" on the flexor. This should add some surface detail and make the space less ugly.

post-7656-1212037399_thumb.gif

post-7656-1212037292_thumb.gifpost-7656-1212037300_thumb.gif

Here are the legs as they appear on the fuselage.

post-7656-1212037407_thumb.gifpost-7656-1212037416_thumb.gif

post-7656-1212037389_thumb.gif

After looking at the episode a little more, I didn't like how the legs were pretty much parallel to each other. So, I decided to flare them out a bit. This made the legs curve at a wider angle than the anime, but it adds to the dramatic pose the kit will be place in. Also not shown are the duct nozzles being placed in the feet. Next will be the shoulder fabrication. I'll be doing something a little different, mainly going to do a flat plate being swung down that is attached to the deltoid portion of the upper arm. Since this aircraft was designed back in the early 80's, I imagined some struts/pivots/pistons are being used.

Since this aircraft was designed back in the early 80's, I imagined some struts/pivots/pistons are being used.

IIRC there is some artwork that shows just that.

Rockhound here's a step-by-step from way back when. Thought you might find it handy if you get stuck somewhere between fighter and battroid :)

And 10/10 for your WIP threads! It's great to have something to check out each time you visit MW. Cheers.

Sorry, I haven't updated in a while. Summer courses for college are 5 days a week, 3 hours a day for 5 weeks. Pretty hectic. I'm still on the sanding stage. :(

Hopefully I'll have something productive to post in the next few days.

Edit: Another problem, I keep coming up with ideas for projects. Like Max's funky rear stab missiles aircraft (weird episode), a Razorback red custom VF-0S Battroid, VF-0D battroid custom, etc.

Edited by Rockhound