Macross Frontier Episode 8 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 8 rating  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 8 Rating

• Positive (Sheryl's panties! tee hee)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Sheryl's panties and Ranka's "magical bump" are REAL turnoffs)

Heck, let's just rename it "The Green Squirrel Show" and make it about the slapstick adventures of everybody's favourite panty loving green alien squirrel.

To hell, with mecha, action, the Vajra, story etc.....who needs em'.

Each episode can be about how our hero the squirrel has to collect a pair of panties from a different female character each week, "Gotta collect em' all".

I bet ratings would soar.

Graham

Heck, let's just rename it "The Green Squirrel Show" and make it about the slapstick adventures of everybody's favourite panty loving green alien squirrel.

Each episode can be about how our hero the squirrel has to collect a pair of panties from a different female character each week.

Graham

Make it a show about Sheryl stealing Meltran-size panties and we have a deal. :lol:

Each episode can be about how our hero the squirrel has to collect a pair of panties from a different female character each week, "Gotta collect em' all".

Graham

Actually makes sense and I think episode 8 was closer to SDF: Macross than any of the previous seven of episodes. When I think of SDF: M, besides the Valkyries, it was the chemistry between the characters that I recall, not the space battles.

After the whirlwind of episode seven, Macross Frontier agains switches gears into a slower character-driven story in episode eight. Here Alto, Ranka, Mikhail and Luca are involved in their daily routines at Mihoshi Academy, which doesn't stay routine for long when Sheryl shows up and decides to enroll in the pilot training program. Hilarity of a teen idol joining the local academy on Macross Frontier then ensues.

The character interaction is quite entertaining in this episode if not altogether unexpected. It appears Alto has softened somewhat towards Sheryl. Unlike earlier, Alto is much more willing to tolerate her abuse, no doubt coming from their time spent together which has created a better mutual understanding. Sheryl has also appears to cause trouble just because it's exciting but as a young woman, she sometimes gets in over her head. Ranka finds herself often lost for words around Sheryl. It's clear Ranka desires more of Alto's attention, but she's still somewhat shut in and doesn't know how to compete with the often flamboyant Sheryl.

Aside from the high school drama common for such a cast, there are events outside the school yard. Leon takes steps to cover up all VF-27 recordings taken from SMS during the previous battle. The crew of the rescued Dulfim of the Macross Galaxy fleet are being kept under quarantine due to some concern over a V-type virus, the nature of which remains undisclosed. The episode closes with Ranka singing alone at monument park until she encounters Brera Stern, the mysterious VF-27 pilot from last episode. He not-so-subtely introduces himself mirroring Ranka's song on his harmonica. Obviously, Ranka is amazed that someone else knows her song.

The change in pace is somewhat of a let down after episode seven, but even the grand episodes need a proper build to achieve maxiumum effect. Episode eight remains an entertaining character story with plenty of laughs and just enough of the larger story to carry the show forward.

Episode 9 is next. Deculture!

japs guys like panties

and japs gals like green squirrel

they want love not war.

listen regardless of whether it's true or not i take offense to all this jap name calling. :angry: you guys do know that's considered a racial slur, right?

The fanservice in this series is starting to bug me more and more.

i actually thought this was a bit of a waste of an espidoe. It didnt really get us anything new, except that there is a wacky green squirrel slug and that harmonica boy is on Frontier.

Im all for character episodes, dont get me wrong. and up till now i have liked all the episode. But this was just a little screwball for my tastes.

I agree that Episode 8 was a huge letdown after 6 and 7. I actually like character driven plots, and found this episode tedious and juvenile. Yes, the fan service was again, annoying-- so far, *every* episode has had moderate fan service, *far* in excess of all the other Macross series which featured it only in occasional, select episodes and usually in context. Instead, MF seems to craft its hijinks and scenes explicitly around the opportunity to show Sheryl (and to a lesser extent, Ranka and Nanase) in titillating situations.

But even overlooking all that, there just wasn't much real magic, charm, or chemistry between the characters. I mean Alto and Sheryl obviously get along in a wierd way that Alto fails to understand-- but the problem is, as a viewer, I felt like I didn't quite understand it either, and couldn't really find the charm in it. Maybe aloof males just don't make very interesting romantic pairings-- which is ironic considering that he's become one of the more relateable and likeable characters. His expression of bored exasperation to the *weird* interaction between Nanase, Ranka, and Luca on the steps echos my own frustration with the relatively boring schticks of the "character driven" episodes.

So overall, a pretty huge letdown. I'm really not digging this schizophrenic yo-yoing between pedestrian high school innane-ness and a real war story, contrived to allow kids to be key players, whose friends (or themselves) are *nearly killed by aliens*, and then allowed to go back to their high-school lives and chase slug-squirrels as if nothing had happened.

Ranka as a singing carrot in a Zentran grocery store is however, priceless.

Edited by Sundown

I'm really not digging this schizophrenic yo-yoing between pedestrian high school innane-ness and a real war story, contrived to allow kids to be key players, whose friends (or themselves) are *nearly killed by aliens*, and then allowed to go back to their high-school lives and chase slug-squirrels as if nothing had happened.

To be fair, Alto is older than Hikaru or even Max. He's turning 18 in the next episode. He's legally old enough to be a soldier now.

I think most of the answers are found in Alto's background, which we're just starting to get a look at. What we know at this point is that Alto was considered a very talented and skilled Kabuki performer before he suddenly quit for reasons that we still haven't been informed of (besides the fact that he wanted to fly).

It's possible that he's annoyed and contemptuous by all of the fuss about fame, due to his background. He was famous, and he walked away from it. As a result, Nanase gushing about how Ranka is going to become famous would be a huge turn off for him, but at the same time he can't actually say anything because he doesn't want to be out and out rude and discouraging about Ranka's big opportunity. It is a big deal for Ranka, and she's not necessarily becoming a singer just to become famous.

And while there's a definite connection between Alto and Sheryl, she can't seem to help but try and draw attention to herself when she's in the public eye. The best times between the two of them so far have been when Sheryl and Alto have had "alone time" together, with Sheryl out in public but avoiding recognition (episode 5) or simply not in public at that time (episode 6 and the end of episode 8).

I liked this episode for its' insane shenanigans :)

Finally got around to watching it and it was adorable - really - I loved the cartoonishness :)

I actually like the oscilation between "kids in high school" and a "serious war story" - and actually there's nothing wrong with it because in real life people are sometimes in serious situations and sometimes not.

I mean - in SDF: Macross, towards the end, the entire thing became a Soap Opera with tension building over the love triangle and who Hikaru would finally pick - and then in the end, there was no real romantic resolution in the classic "love story" sense because the war came back to shatter any hopes of love being "the most important thing"...

Macross Frontier is great insofar as it's not THAT serious - and I like it. I like the anime soap opera comic shenanigans :)

I am also liking Sheryl more and more - now that we've seen her as a regular girl and not an uppity celebrity. Ironically, while Sheryl is getting more girlish - Ranka is maturing. She's no longer cute...

And did she quit her job at the chinese restaurant for the carrot gig?? :( booo ...oh well...

In any event - the whole episode was great fun! :)

I personally don't think "Jap" is a racial slurr, although I don't use it either - generally though I doubt people who worship Japanse anime and Macross can be accused of racism :)

Err...what else? ...

Oh - now I have high hopes for the rebirth of Fire Bomber! Sheryl will be a pilot and follow in the footsteps of Nekki Bassara! Yippee! :)

And the V-disease? Vajraitise? Wonder what that is?

Anyways - not much to really analyze in this episode. Nanase is hot! Must admit that following the shower scene - and Sheryl is CRAAAAAAZZZZYYY and melts in Alto's arms :)

The Queen and her Princess :) Lovely :)

VFTF1

I personally don't think "Jap" is a racial slurr, although I don't use it either - generally though I doubt people who worship Japanse anime and Macross can be accused of racism :)

The person who posted that particular term probably wasn't aware it was a racial slur but it is. The racial term derived from World War II when the Japanese were placed in internment camps.

Here's a quote from Lietenent General, John DeWitt who started it back then, "A Jap is a Jap"

He continues with, "I don't want any of them [persons of Japanese ancestry] here. They are a dangerous element. There is no way to determine their loyalty... It makes no difference whether he is an American citizen, he is still a Japanese. American citizenship does not necessarily determine loyalty... But we must worry about the Japanese all the time until he is wiped off the map."

So yeah...some people like my grandmother is still offended by terms like that but then again not too many people are aware of the terms origins so it's inevitable.

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

So yeah...some people like my grandmother is still offended by terms like that but then again not too many people are aware of the terms origins so it's inevitable.

Oh believe you me, it's come up before...and has always created quite the s#!*storm when it has...so we should probably all move along and forget this ever happened. ^_^

(That said, although I know no one here means it in an offensive way, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and just take the extra time to write out "anese." It really isn't THAT difficult...)

Oh believe you me, it's come up before...and has always created quite the s#!*storm when it has...so we should probably all move along and forget this ever happened. ^_^

(That said, although I know no one here means it in an offensive way, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and just take the extra time to write out "anese." It really isn't THAT difficult...)

Or abbreviating it further, depending on context. I've seen it abbreviated all the way down to J in some emulation forums. Usually when discussing game regions.

Edited by JB0

Or abbreviating it further, depending on context. I've seen it abbreviated all the way down to J in some emulation forums. Usually when discussing game regions.

That works, too.

Although given the sentence in question, "jap guys like panties," I'm not sure much can be done to save it from sounding rude... :rolleyes:

"Jap" is a racial slur, and I've had the unpleasant experience of being called that numerous times while growing up (as I've been called the Chinese and Vietnamese racial slurs as well). It may not be as mainstream of a racial slur as the "N" word, but it still exists, is still used, and is still offensive. So don't use that word.

And back onto the subject of episode 8, I forgot to vote in the poll! It was a fun episode. It could have turned out bad, but it was fun. :)

I was aware of the origins and the internment camps; and naturally while the General has a right to his opinion, no where in the US Constitution does it say that citizens of one nationality have more rights than citizens of another nationality - and of course the Declaration of Independence is explicit in that it locates the foundations of the country in the equality of all Men (humans), rather than in the particular traits of one "nation" or "ethnic group."

That said - I'm sure you could find a million quotes where someone is saying something positive about the Japanese, and happens to use the term "Jap."

Naturally - if an individual is offended by the term; then one simply apologizes - but I would also say that one shouldn't stereotype and assume that everyone who uses the word "Jap" is racist against Japanse...

I will try not to tread on controversial ground and speak in generalities, but - lots of people of certain ethnic backgrounds use certain words which - if used by their opposite - would be called "racist" but when used by the people in question are simply "part of their unique way to speaking/rapping."

I think everybody just needs to chill out and not be so easily offended.

And I will give an example from my own country:

Polish people flip out every time ANY newspaper in the world uses the phrase "Concentration camps in Poland."

Because, of course, during World War II, the NAZIs built concentration camps in Poland, so often times newspapers use a short-hand and just say "Polish concentration camps" or "concentration camps in Poland."

That's when Poland mobilizes its' diplomatic corpes and sends angry letters to newspapers and what not demanding that the papers write "NAZI Concentration Camps built by the Germans who occupied Poland during WWII."

Personally - I think it's silly; and a vein attempt by Poland to gain "victim status."

Particularly since anti-semitism in Poland was so high in some parts of the country, that people collaborated with Germans in getting rid of the Jews; and even AFTER the War, in 1948 (unless I'm mistaken), Polish villagers slaughtered hundreds of Jews in a purge - just because they didn't like them.

On the other hand, there were a lot of Polish folks who risked their lives to save and protect Jews during the war - so it goes both ways.

But I personally don't really like it when contemporary people who were not alive back then try to bask in the glow of others and demand that newspapers write "German concentration camps" or that people not say the word "Jap."

First off, I think you have to understand that while of course there is no excuse to justify racism; many people - like this General you quote - were justifiably angry about Peral Harbor. Soldiers who were dying in the war naturally also used the term.

Now - this understanding in no way diminishes from the illegality of the Internment Camps under the US Constitution (a shameful thing), nor does it take away from the fact that in many ways Japan was provoked into the attack by the Oil Embargo and other policies of FDR.

But then again, the Japanese DID attack China and were occupying great swaths of Asia.

I am not trying to point fingers and appropriate blame in a total sense - I am merely trying to say that just like your Grandmother (who was alive then and feels very personally about events), so too veterens or others who were alive then have a right to feel personally about events.

I think that ultimately stifling speech - even mildly rude speech - ultimately stifles all of these important issues, and makes people more ignorant - because words derive from somewhere - and to know the history of words you must first use and hear them...

I hope I'm not being misunderstood as being an advocate of racial slurrs - rather I am trying to show that a) sometimes the "sluriness" of the word is relative to user/context, b) sometimes there is over-sensitivity, c) even if a word is rude and slurry, we shouldn't ban it - not only because of freedom of speech - but because paradoxically the existence of such words gives us opportunities to enlighten people about history.

Anyways - my 18 cents on the question :)

VFTF1

"Jap" is a racial slur, and I've had the unpleasant experience of being called that numerous times while growing up (as I've been called the Chinese and Vietnamese racial slurs as well). It may not be as mainstream of a racial slur as the "N" word, but it still exists, is still used, and is still offensive. So don't use that word.

And back onto the subject of episode 8, I forgot to vote in the poll! It was a fun episode. It could have turned out bad, but it was fun. :)

I got called a "nip" in junior high...and I'm white! (Being an anime fan in a school of real spuds wasn't fun...thankfully, I transferred.)

Anyway, yeah...episode 8! I really liked it, in all honesty, and not just because Nanase took a shower.

And did she quit her job at the chinese restaurant for the carrot gig?? :( booo ...oh well...

No, she's still working there as of episode 10. Though who knows if she's going to STAY there after that episode...

It's one of those things...

I think it might even be used as an abbreviation for Japan at certain international events.

It's also an anti-semitic slur (in that particular case, it's an acronym), although that's not very well known these days.

In short, I'd hesitate to jump on someone for using it now. But at the same time it's probably a good idea to avoid it.

First off, I think you have to understand that while of course there is no excuse to justify racism; many people - like this General you quote - were justifiably angry about Peral Harbor. Soldiers who were dying in the war naturally also used the term.

This completely ignores the fact that the general's anger WAS NOT JUSTIFIED WHEN DIRECTED AT AMERCIAN CITIZENS OF JAPANESE DESCENT. Did you see generals back then calling German Americans and Italian Americans racial slurs and rounding them up in camps? I think not, hence the bitterness of Japanese Americans towards the policies of the time of BOTH THE US AND JAPANESE GOVERNMENT. A lot of Japanese Americans fought and died in Europe for the US to prove their loyalty to America so I think you should be able to understand why Japanese Americans take offense when they get called slur words.

I think that ultimately stifling speech - even mildly rude speech - ultimately stifles all of these important issues, and makes people more ignorant - because words derive from somewhere - and to know the history of words you must first use and hear them...

I hope I'm not being misunderstood as being an advocate of racial slurrs - rather I am trying to show that a) sometimes the "sluriness" of the word is relative to user/context, b) sometimes there is over-sensitivity, c) even if a word is rude and slurry, we shouldn't ban it - not only because of freedom of speech - but because paradoxically the existence of such words gives us opportunities to enlighten people about history.

I hate it when people make things like this a freedom of speech issue. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It has to do with politeness and common courtesy. No one is saying certain things should be banned. People have the freedom to say whatever they want. People have the freedom to be a$$holes if they want. But if someone's gonna be an a$$hole, they have to realize that they're probably gonna piss a lot of people off, and they'd better be willing to deal with the ramifications of that. Rappers have the right to say n---- this n---- that as much as they want to, but there is a lot of negativity that comes with that, and those rappers should realize the ramifications of what they do and take responsibility for it. People have the freedom to do a lot of socially irresponsible things, but should they? It's like someone named Daniel being preferred not to be called Danny, but you call him Danny anyway. You have the freedom to do that, but is Daniel gonna like you? Probably not. And if you say something about freedom of speech to Daniel he's probably not gonna care.

THIS IS THE EPISODE 8 TALKBACK THREAD, WHY ARE YOU TWO TALKING ABOUT THIS???!!!! :angry: GO ELSEWHERE PLEASE.

excuse me? if someone makes a rude or ethnically insensitive comment in this thread i think i'm not going out of line by responding to it.

As much as one person has the right to speak sh*t, another person has just as much right to call them on it regardless of the context of the thread in question.

However, gentlemen if you would please continue this discussion via PM, that would be mighty cool of you... B))

Thanks

Would like to know which has the more accurate translation (or interpretation) of a specific part of the carrot song, AiA or Shinsen?

IIRC, AiA goes "Carrots love you, yeah!", where as Shinsen goes "This carrot loves you, yeah!"

I prefer the AiA interpretation, but curious to know which one is technically more accurate.

Graham

So about that panty-snatching little green critter... :p

I liked seeing the VF-1A up closer and more detailed. Makes me wonder if it's real or if it's a model like the big X-wing at Disneyland. :)

cheesey fanboy thought: not only is it real but Altoh will have to jump in a fly it at one point in the show. :lol: