Are you kidding? That's an excellent movie!

I'm a big Bowie fan, though...so that may be part of it.

Yeah. The problem would be the casting of a remake. I know that Bowie might not be the greatest actor of all time but he still has this awesome onscreen presence that few other actors could manage. (He was an excellent casting choice in The Prestige in a great role)

Taksraven

I like Bowie as much as the next guy, but that movie's snooze factor is turned up to 11.

Hmmm...so does that mean you don't want to come to my Nicholas Roeg Film Festival...? ^_^

EDIT: By the way, if you ever do feel like giving the film another chance, it makes A LOT more sense on the second viewing...

Edited by Gubaba

Yeah. The problem would be the casting of a remake. I know that Bowie might not be the greatest actor of all time but he still has this awesome onscreen presence that few other actors could manage. (He was an excellent casting choice in The Prestige in a great role)

Taksraven

Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays a bowie-ish popstar in "Velvet Goldmine", and I dare say he could protrait a bowie-ish alien with the same inenstity. Another choice would be Christian Bale.

I like the Roeg movie a lot, but I can also see why people hate it. A remake could profit from tighter pacing and updated visuals for the sets & alien products, but most likely would screw up with the portrayal of the alien world, which IMO has the most haunting sequences of the original film.

I'd be happy enough if the remake comes out like "Vanilla Sky" to "Abre los ochos".

wait...they're remaking Superman?! I thought Returns was a good movie except the whole superman kid and louis marryid to cyclops thing haha :wacko: and I doubt superman will succeed as a dark film like Dark Knight, the problem with superman is that you can't really do much about an invincible character

besides, the highlight of Superman Returns was seeing how Kumar kick his ass!! :lol:

wait...they're remaking Superman?! I thought Returns was a good movie except the whole superman kid and louis marryid to cyclops thing haha :wacko: and I doubt superman will succeed as a dark film like Dark Knight, the problem with superman is that you can't really do much about an invincible character

Revamping him for today's audiences. You can make an adult story out of Supes, but you can't make him a dark brooding character like Bats.

besides, the highlight of Superman Returns was seeing how Kumar kick his ass!! :lol:

Singer wrote himself into a hole with that Superkid angle. I liked Returns but I think it's fine to leave it as a one shot, a homage/sequel to Superman I & II.

But I agree, trying to go "dark" with a superman reboot sounds like a bad bad idea. For me, superman is an interesting character because of the moral and ethical choices he makes, not just because of all his powers. Here's a guy who could rule the world, instead he chooses to be a servent. That aspect is one of the reasons why I think that having him actually married and in a relationship with Lois was a bad decision. Lois and the unrequited love was a great illustration of how "clark" is denied in order for Superman to exist... his willingness to deny himself and his own happiness/desires in order to serve humanity.

I'd love to see a superman movie that resembles Superman For All Seasons. But I know most fans just want to see the big boyscout fly around and smash things.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys know there is a third Ghostbusters movie coming out? I read it on my sattelite tv menu/movie news, so i can't supply a link.

It's gonna have all of em, Murray, Ackroyd, and urr, you know same actors for Egon and Winston. :p

Hope they bring back Rick Moranis.

:edit: ok found a link, but didn't know it was gonna be animated... :unsure:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/03/ghostb...rs-3-confirmed/

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

If they remade Superman again, maybe they could hire actors to play Supes and Lois instead of the robots they used in Returns. The chick playing lois is one of the most boring pieces of garbage I have ever seen in my life.

Taksraven

You guys know there is a third Ghostbusters movie coming out? I read it on my sattelite tv menu/movie news, so i can't supply a link.

It's gonna have all of em, Murray, Ackroyd, and urr, you know same actors for Egon and Winston. :p

Hope they bring back Rick Moranis.

:edit: ok found a link, but didn't know it was gonna be animated... :unsure:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/03/ghostb...rs-3-confirmed/

Uhmm... no. Here's a more recent rumor: http://www.cinematical.com/2008/09/04/brea...usters-3-is-on/ :D

Yecch. Both of those ideas sound very bad indeed.

Actually I wouldnt mind another Ghostbusters movie. Not a remake... that would be stupid, but yeah, if they passed the torch to some goofy idiots like Seth Rogen and Jason Segel. It would be funny as hell. The thing about Ghostbusters was seeing comedians react to the monsters. Dan Ackroyd would be hard to replace though... Maybe if Chris Tucker got off his lazy Rush Hour ass...

Actually I wouldnt mind another Ghostbusters movie. Not a remake... that would be stupid, but yeah, if they passed the torch to some goofy idiots like Seth Rogen and Jason Segel. It would be funny as hell. The thing about Ghostbusters was seeing comedians react to the monsters. Dan Ackroyd would be hard to replace though... Maybe if Chris Tucker got off his lazy Rush Hour ass...

I wouldn't mind it either...but I'd want to see the original cast, and not computer animated.

If they could somehow convince Bill Murray to come back...it could be like "The Dark Knight Returns," only funnier. ^_^

oh man! GB3!! I've always wondered why they never made more, with today CG standards the whole ghost catching would be badass

and the original cast is hella fun!! but I don't know if they are too old now?? I mean... Dan Akroyd looks about the same, Bill Murray just by looking at him you know you're gonna laugh but he's too gray! and Harold Ramis (Egon) is FAAAAAAAAAT!!! errr....don't know the name of the actor who played Winston, but he was cool too, hehehehehe

still would be cool thought... hmm, hope Hollywood doesn't ruin this legend too... I'm very anxious about the game, looks sick

I guess technically the new (rumored) Cap't America is a remake... but MTV has a story that will smith is being offered the titular role:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080908r.php

Gotta say, I think Will could really pull this off, if it's true. He's got the charisma and the physicality to be able to pull it off. He just needs to bulk up again like he did for Ali

Winston was played by Ernie Hudson.

666th post! When the ghostbusters are going to hell! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn... :lol::ph34r:

It's pretty funny that Winston isn't really even in the pan and scan version of Ghostbusters.

I guess technically the new (rumored) Cap't America is a remake... but MTV has a story that will smith is being offered the titular role:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080908r.php

Gotta say, I think Will could really pull this off, if it's true. He's got the charisma and the physicality to be able to pull it off. He just needs to bulk up again like he did for Ali

While I haven't read a Marvel comic since my teens (except for Marvel Zombies), isn't Captain America supposed to be white, and Will Smith is err.......not?

Mind you I've been wrong about the race thing before. I could have sworn that when I last read some Nick Fury stuff back in the 80s', he was a grizzled old white dude with an eyepatch, yet he was played by Samuel L. Jackson in the recent Iron Man movie.

Not that there's anything wrong with using actors of a different race to portray a character, but I would have thought that most fans would have a reasonable expectation that a character be the same race in a movie adaptation as in the printed source material.

Graham

As I learned with watching Daredevil's movie (which is a good flick, dammit!) and Michale Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin, race doesn't matter nearly as much as the actor's ability to fll the role's personality. That is far, far more important than race or build.

That being said, I don't think Will Smith has the right personality for the Cap'n. His roles have almost universally involved his trademark humour and flippancy, and I don't think that's right for Captain A.

While I haven't read a Marvel comic since my teens, isn't Captain America supposed to be white, and Will Smith is err.......not?

Mind you I've been wrong about the race thing before. I could have sworn that when I last read some Nick Fury stuff back in the 80s', he was a grizzled old white dude with an eyepatch, yet he was played by Samuel L. Jackson in the recent Iron Man movie.

Not that there's anything wrong with using actors of a different race to portray a character, but I would have thought that most fans would have a reasonable expectation that a character be the same race in a movie adaptation as in the printed source material.

Graham

Will also played the white guy off of Wild Wild West movie adaption. I think what you mean is have characters that resemble their artists' visions of them, instead of the directors wanting to throw curveballs (hey let's make Starbuck a girl this time lol) or they want to pay for big actors instead of taking risk and throwing some no-names out there who would probably be more willing to put more into it.

That being said, I don't think Will Smith has the right personality for the Cap'n. His roles have almost universally involved his trademark humour and flippancy, and I don't think that's right for Captain A.

How about Sly Stallone as Captain America, since he did such a *good* job as Judge Dread?? :p:p

Taksraven

A steriod athlete should play Captain America... Steriods are what made Captain A the man. Or at least that was the blatant implication.

"Steve Rogers, a sickly young man who was enhanced to the peak of human perfection by an experimental serum in order to aid the United States war effort."

The war being, WWII and that being the time where anabolic chemicals were developed.

and before anyone asks: I know about this stuff because I was a Division 1 athlete in college, lots-O-juice in college sports. All the guys that did it, are out of shape now. I chose a different path.

Not sure about Will Smith as Captain America. But wouldn't he make a great Falcon?

I dunno, I think he peaked Ali.

This is what I think of Will Smith:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/i_robot.jpg

Edited by Agent ONE

Heard last night that a remake of Slaughterhouse Five is in the works and the director is expected to be Guillermo del Toro. Could be interesting. (This might be old news, but I thought I would mention it anyway.)

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...
A steroid athlete should play Captain America... Steroids are what made Captain A the man. Or at least that was the blatant implication.

"Steve Rogers, a sickly young man who was enhanced to the peak of human perfection by an experimental serum in order to aid the United States war effort."

The war being, WWII and that being the time where anabolic chemicals were developed.

and before anyone asks: I know about this stuff because I was a Division 1 athlete in college, lots-O-juice in college sports. All the guys that did it, are out of shape now. I chose a different path.

I'd say Triple-H should play Caps, but the rumor mill already has him running for the Thor movie.

Robocop is one of my favorite childhood movies. I for one would like to see something new.

Wow, you had some really cool parents. B))

I thought it was funny that it was mentioned that Red Dawn was considered the most violent movie every made when they also write about Robocop in the same article. :p I re-watched Red Dawn a few weeks ago in fact. Pretty tame by today's standards.