I don't get why people are freaking about the reboot. None of the sequels and spin-offs have been as good as the first film so I'm totally OK with a reboot if done right. The first film was good but it wasn't Citizen Kane, it was Rambo meets Alien and that was just plain cool. The biggest mistake they can make with this reboot is not filming it for rated R. I think that's what hurt the Robocop reboot too.

Hell, you could re-release the original Predator. It's just a damned good sci-fi movie. OMG, can you believe it's been 25+ years?

Oh wait. I suppose gun aficionados might complain the weapons look dated, cause they don't have modern tactical grips/accessories and such. But that's about it.

Hell, you could re-release the original Predator. It's just a damned good sci-fi movie. OMG, can you believe it's been 25+ years?

Oh wait. I suppose gun aficionados might complain the weapons look dated, cause they don't have modern tactical grips/accessories and such. But that's about it.

'Old Painless' never gets old ;) It's also cool that the guy that played Hawkins, Shane Black, is involved with the reboot.

But as far as weapons being dated I think you could see America's high-tech Vs Predator tech in the reboot too.

A lot.

Predator was actually pretty good, McTiernan has/had a great filmography as a Director and Predator is up there with the best of them.

-b.

AVP:R is a thing that physically exists on film. nothing can be done to predator with a reboot that could be worse than that.

The original Predator stands on its own; it doesn't need a reboot. However, if they made a sequel to the original movie, completely ignoring all the other sequels, where the government has been tracking Predator movements for years, under the guidance of a certain Dutch, attempting to determine patterns and collect technology and even a specimen, like a severed arm or whatever. After almost 30 years, another hot year is predicted and observed patterns indicate that a Predator will be very likely hunting in the same old jungle, now infested with heavily armed baddies of choice. Another small group of badass commandos, armed with the latest tech, and even some back-engineered Predator tech, goes in. Commandos start getting picked off, and Dutch, who still suffers PTSD from his first encounter and hides away in an armored portable command bunker, must grab a gun and save the rest of the team. Something this simple would suffice. The original premise worked b/c they kept it simple and populated it with a great cast, cool effects, some good lines, and a cool creature.

All they have to do with Predator is say that only the first film is "Cannon", the rest of it was garbage. Heck you could even do nearly the exact same plot line and not need a reboot.

As much as the sequels sucked, I'm not a fan of franchises saying these specific entries "don't count". Highlander is a great example of a cult classic that did that an it's continuity and legacy as a property is a hot-jumbled mess.

And for the love of, not the same plot - if that were the case then it's a reboot.

I don't get why people are freaking about the reboot. None of the sequels and spin-offs have been as good as the first film so I'm totally OK with a reboot if done right. The first film was good but it wasn't Citizen Kane, it was Rambo meets Alien and that was just plain cool. The biggest mistake they can make with this reboot is not filming it for rated R. I think that's what hurt the Robocop reboot too.

They didn't say they were rebooting or remaking the sequels though did they? They said they're planning to reboot the original.

Movies don't have to be Citizen Kane, The Shawshank Redemption or whatever ones personal equivalent is to be good films. Or cult classics. Or genre bending. Or original. Or, or or. Some movies are good standing on their own merits, IMHO Predator is one, similar to Alien (since you mention it) and Aliens.

AVP:R is a thing that physically exists on film. nothing can be done to predator with a reboot that could be worse than that.

Quiet you!

:p

The original Predator stands on its own; it doesn't need a reboot. However, if they made a sequel to the original movie, completely ignoring all the other sequels, where the government has been tracking Predator movements for years, under the guidance of a certain Dutch, attempting to determine patterns and collect technology and even a specimen, like a severed arm or whatever. After almost 30 years, another hot year is predicted and observed patterns indicate that a Predator will be very likely hunting in the same old jungle, now infested with heavily armed baddies of choice. Another small group of badass commandos, armed with the latest tech, and even some back-engineered Predator tech, goes in. Commandos start getting picked off, and Dutch, who still suffers PTSD from his first encounter and hides away in an armored portable command bunker, must grab a gun and save the rest of the team. Something this simple would suffice. The original premise worked b/c they kept it simple and populated it with a great cast, cool effects, some good lines, and a cool creature.

100% agree with your comments on the original. I'm not a writer as honestly I'm just not that creative in that way, and there's nothing wrong with tackling the property, just do it write and get off of the damn "reboot" bandwagon.

It's only because so many of these remakes or reboots have been sub-par comparative to their originals AND what's come out that's new, that this re-whatever sh!t has overstayed it's welcome.

Just sayin'

-b.

Now that could actually kick ass.

FSL.gif

I may be in the minority on this one but I actually liked Pred-2 and Predators, they weren't as good as the original, and the AVP movies were an abomination on both franchises, but Pred-2 and Predators weren't horrible. I think more than anything that Pred-2 was flawed in that they tried to cram too many dropped concepts from the original into it. Also, let's face it, it would have been better is Gary Bussey's character was played by Arnold, and then he and Danny Glover team up to take down the Predator. Predators was an interesting take on the concept where the preds bring the game to them instead and I was pleasantly surprised by how bad assed Adrien Brody was in the film.

I may be in the minority on this one but I actually liked Pred-2 and Predators, they weren't as good as the original, and the AVP movies were an abomination on both franchises, but Pred-2 and Predators weren't horrible. I think more than anything that Pred-2 was flawed in that they tried to cram too many dropped concepts from the original into it. Also, let's face it, it would have been better is Gary Bussey's character was played by Arnold, and then he and Danny Glover team up to take down the Predator. Predators was an interesting take on the concept where the preds bring the game to them instead and I was pleasantly surprised by how bad assed Adrien Brody was in the film.

agree

-b.

I thought Predators was the reboot. <_<

(and it sucked)

Ha, it wasn't horribly horrible. I think of it as another in a long list of lazy day movies one could watch when there's absolutely nothing better to do.

they reference the original movie in Predators, so It's a sequel.

^this

-b.

Predators wasn't horrible, nor was it brilliant or especially ground breaking in any way. Still, it was better than the AVP movies and actually served to expand the original story a bit. I would rate it higher than Pred-2.

• 1 month later...

As much as I'd like to get all indignant and fan-rage-filled over remaking Disney animated films, I never cared enough for Jungle Book to be bothered by this.

Edited by anime52k8

Blastr reports that JMS is writing a reboot movie for Babylon 5. I'm taking that news with a large grain of salt. He does not even had a studio backing it yet and unlike Lucas he does not have the money to make it on his own.

I would be interested in seeing it but a single movie just would not cut it for a B5 remake.

Blastr reports that JMS is writing a reboot movie for Babylon 5. I'm taking that news with a large grain of salt. He does not even had a studio backing it yet and unlike Lucas he does not have the money to make it on his own.

I would be interested in seeing it but a single movie just would not cut it for a B5 remake.

Babylon 5 was one of the best (American) Sci-Fi shows ever. A lot of the movies were hit or badly miss and Crusade was...interesting, but the 5 seasons run of B5 was epic storytelling IMO.

If a reboot movie had the funding, appropriate writing and a decent cast and crew it'd be awesome, but I have my doubts the stars would align for all of those things to happen.

-b.

Babylon 5 was one of the best (American) Sci-Fi shows ever. A lot of the movies were hit or badly miss and Crusade was...interesting, but the 5 seasons run of B5 was epic storytelling IMO.

If a reboot movie had the funding, appropriate writing and a decent cast and crew it'd be awesome, but I have my doubts the stars would align for all of those things to happen.

-b.

Agreed! B5 is was an under rated show that was ahead of its time. That being said, the series was so epic I wonder if it could be contained in a two hour film.

B5 was awesome, and as much as I love it, I would rather it came back as a series, I get to me with JMS in november, and believe me, I will pick his brain about this. The only way this could work would be as a series of movies, 4-5, going along with the original B5-Babylon Prime arc he had planned. But even that would require a ton of storyline trimming.

Predator, Predator 2, Predators, all the other crap.

In that order.

If you don't like Predator 2, you don't truly understand it enough.

90's L.A. chaos, Gary Busey, Bill Paxton! Danny Boy! The Alien and Dino skulls in the ship.

the tossing of the 1776 pistol. It's all important editions to the story. It was a decent flick.

Predator, Predators, Predator 2, all the other crap.

In that order.

90's L.A. chaos, Gary Busey, Bill Paxton! Danny Boy! The Alien and Dino skulls in the ship.

the tossing of the 1776 pistol. It's all important editions to the story. It was an OK flick.

fixed

*probably splitting hairs changing "decent" to "OK", but Predator 2 could have been so much better - especially for what it added to the movie universe mythos, the Alien skull at the end

-b.

Predator, Predator 2, Predators, all the other crap.

In that order.

the tossing of the 1776 pistol. It's all important editions to the story. It was a decent flick.

The 1715 Pistol & Skulls are my favorite scenes in that movie! You then realize these Predators having been visiting Earth for a very long time and second.... that one alien skull looks mighty familiar!

post-6180-0-00753500-1407611771_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe they should just reboot it in the bin. the first one was ok but then it just got silly and middle of the road.

With the reboot time span getting shorter I fully expect to see last years films up for reboot next year.