It is clear that insanity is truly overtaking Hollywood on a daily basis.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080518i.php

Put simply: YOU COULD NOT MAKE ROBOCOP ANY BETTER*

I am not saying that the movie is absolutely perfect, but it is excellent, a lot of fun and just great. I couldn't care less about Red Dawn, I always thought that was crappy propaganda. But HANDS OFF ROBOCOP!!

Taksraven

* Ok, I will admit that there is one bad FX shot in Robocop and thats right at the end when Dick Jones is blasted out of the window and it switches to a crappy claymation shot of him falling to the ground. Yes, I would use CGI to fix up that shot. But thats just ONE shot in a relatively low budget film that needs work.

Actually... I disagree, I think robocop is the perfect movie to remake in the current political climate.

Besides the violence and sci-fi goodness, robocop succeeded because it was a scathing critique on a certain president and the political climate of the day. If the new robocop continues that tradition and ignores the sequel's attempts to kiddifie the franchise then I think there's some real potential there.

I know something that definitely won't be in the Robocop remake...all the violence. That film was heavily criticized for it's violence back in the day and compared to what's passing for an "action movie" these days, the original Robocop is positively hell spawned in the eyes of modern censors. Expect some PG-13 garbage from any prospective remake.

Red Dawn was always garbage, so who cares? :)

If they make a R to A (adult) rated remake, then I would watch it.

But I bet they will dumb it down to some PG-13 junk so meh.

Wonder when we can see a Robocop vs Terminator movie?

Then follow up with the ultimate crossover - Robocop vs Terminator vs Predator vs Aliens! I bet we can setup region MW group viewings for that! :D

Robocop remake will be a straight actioner, you can forget the social commentary and satire. Red Dawn is a Generation X classic, I have no idea how they could make this contemporary. Plus, no Milius = no interest.

Oh yeah, now they are talking Highlander remake. Honestly, it wouldn't be very hard to make a new film that's better than the original. They NEED to keep to Queen soundtrack, or they may as well not even bother.

Haven't they been basically remaking the first Highlander ever since '85 anyway? How else would you describe the string of sequels that not only ignore the original, but ignorantly trample all over the story, like a stampeding herd of downs syndrome kids at a picnic? And with that, I've typed two more sentences than any Highlander film really deserves to begin with.

I could see Red Dawn redone well. Always thought that movie was a bit overrated, though. Robocop remake could only be a travesty, though. Do a new or maybe "next" robocop maybe...

Original Robocop was near perfect IMO. No need for a remake. Remake the sequels if you want, they were crap IMO, but leave the original alone.

Same with the first Highlander, it was perfect. The sequels were all complete and utter dross, but the original Highlander is a fantastic film. No need to remake it IMO.

Red Dawn.......hmm, so is the remake still going to be set in the 80s'? Not sure how this would work and not sure it really needs to be remade.

Next, they'll be talking about remaking Alien and Aliens!

Graham

wasn't this announced 2 years ago?

There are only two things that need to be fixed with the 1st robocop movie, the zip line you can see used to guide ED 209's rockets, and the crappy claymation at the end. Otherwise robocop is a pretty flawless 80's sci-fi classic.

Edited by GobotFool

Original Robocop was near perfect IMO. No need for a remake. Remake the sequels if you want, they were crap IMO, but leave the original alone.

Same with the first Highlander, it was perfect. The sequels were all complete and utter dross, but the original Highlander is a fantastic film. No need to remake it IMO.

Red Dawn.......hmm, so is the remake still going to be set in the 80s'? Not sure how this would work and not sure it really needs to be remade.

Next, they'll be talking about remaking Alien and Aliens!

Graham

I agree. A remake of either Robocop or Highlander would suck.

And I'm waiting for Lucas to beat everyone to the punch and announce he's remaking the original Star Wars Trilogy.

It's clear that Hollywood is completely out of original ideas. If they're not remaking older movies, they're adapting comic books, novels, TV shows, video games, and foreign films. With that in mind, how many crappy remakes of classic movies do I have to stomach before I get a live-action Gundam movie trilogy? And no, G-Saviour doesn't count. I mean either an adaptation of the animated original Gundam movies, or an adaptation of Tomino's original novels.

What if they remade it in the way that Batman Begins is a remake, i.e. not a remake at all but a different take on it, modernised and by a competent director?

Failing that, I want to see Robocop vs Iron Man, Stark goes off the rails and Robodude is sent in to get him! :lol

Edited by Fort Max

Robocop remake will be a straight actioner, you can forget the social commentary and satire. Red Dawn is a Generation X classic, I have no idea how they could make this contemporary. Plus, no Milius = no interest.

Oh yeah, now they are talking Highlander remake. Honestly, it wouldn't be very hard to make a new film that's better than the original. They NEED to keep to Queen soundtrack, or they may as well not even bother.

Pardon me one political rant, but the Red Dawn thing is so going to be a Iraq=BAD reference one after another. Honestly I'm sick of Hollywood, an industry built on a towering pile of feces like remake after remake of decent old movies, stealing of ideas from overseas, and just bland representation all priced for 10 a movie ticket which doesn't even always buy you the whole film, you have to wait until it's out on DVD. And correct me if I'm wrong but one of the big points of going to the movies is to escape the problems of life for alittle while. Maybe if they could pull something off like Jericho it wouldn't be too bad, but it's still a production built on the corpse of another.

Highlander remake? Yeah those guys have been digging that hole for buried treasure for decades, with varying levels of success. That is probably one of those I'd allow the first "Director's Cut" thing to slip by, because according to them on the comentary there were a few dick-moves in there thrown their way. But you'd think they'd figure it out by the second time but then you have one of the most birraze patchworks done in probably recent movie history on the second film. That's not to say there weren't any decent projects but otherwise amusing side-stories nothing that could/should continue the line. Like said eariler the one brilliant thing that they did I don't know who else has done it though is have, if you're throwing in some modern music, haveone band do the songs, have them write songs for it, and most importantly be a good band. Wish others whould follow suit. Not like I'd pay for the remake, but I'd be more ticked off if Michael Kamen's stuff wasn't on there. I mean the Highlander theme, the one played during Connor's training is one of my alltime favorite songs.

Honestly, I wish Hollywood would stop remaking movies. Talk about raping our childhood... It just tells me that Hollywood is either lazy, stupid, or both lazy and stupid since they cannot come up with ideas for new movies. IMO, the movies are getting lamer and lamer. Sure there are some good ones here and there but come on, are we that tapped out of ideas?

Remakes always suck for the most part. For the first time, I saw the classic Oceans 11 last night and let me say this: That movie was 100x better than the crap Oceans 11 remake. The only remake that is decent was the Italian Job. As for this: Leave all the movies alone especially Robocop and Red Dawn.

If they make a R to A (adult) rated remake, then I would watch it.

But I bet they will dumb it down to some PG-13 junk so meh.

Wonder when we can see a Robocop vs Terminator movie?

Then follow up with the ultimate crossover - Robocop vs Terminator vs Predator vs Aliens! I bet we can setup region MW group viewings for that! :D

You could count me out. I've given up on summer Hollywood blockbusters (except Indiana Jones...I'm definitely going to see that).

I prefer watching movies that assume I have at least a partially functioning brain.

Ya I don't see why either of these movies need to be remade..

Especially Red Dawn..that was my first PG-13 movie in the theater...I was 11 at time :ph34r:

I guess where there is nostalgia there are dollar signs..

Edited by dejr8bud

I almost don't think Red Dawn could be remade today. Hollywood would completely have to re-write the thing to fit their new "worldview" tactic of selling overseas. How can they make an overt, pompous (and albeit comically exploitive) American "patriotic" movie and sell to the world? Isn't that the "problem" they have with GI Joe? I mean, they can't really make a remake with communist "red" China or Russia as the "bad guys" as they'd have to "sell" the movie in Russia and probably in China as well. They'd have to totally "Invasion USA" the thing and make the "invaders" some kind of country-less, faceless, politically correct terrorist forces and call it something stupid like Generic Kinda Anglo-Europeanish White Guys in Suits Terrorist Army Dawn.

Plus Red Dawn was sort of Millius' baby... not only was the movie a pure '80s vehicle but it had themes and plot elements in it that Millius was a big time supporter of. Hollywood at the time wasn't really keen to his "ideas" about those things and is none too friendly with them these days either.

Edit: Actually now that I've had a few seconds to think about it, Hollywood could easily remake Red Dawn in the new "flavor of the week" movie style: the shaky POV cam.

It's simple, the whole movie is shot POV from high school kids holding a camcorder. They are in class doing a report or something and out of the sky drop nameless, never to be figured out bad guys. The entire movie is one long drawn out "run away while filming the craziness" schtick. It would "work" for modern Hollywood because it enables them to remove any political connotation from the "enemies", it allows them to retain the "high school kids caught in the middle" angle, it removes those tricky Millius notions of armed teens and it allows them to paint everyone except the "poor teens caught in the middle" with a broad brush. Boffo. Hundred million in the bank. Where do I pick up my check?

Red Dawn was a great movie :) I loved it.

Of course, the premise of an invasion was a bit..well..bizzare - but then again, I'm sure that's what EVERYBODY whose country has ever been invaded first thinks when they hear "we've been invaded!"... and the movie was supposed to wake Americans up to the fact that they were not immune from the forces of history.

Sure it was corny, it was cheesy, it was a B movie... but it had its' moments :) I'm a Red Dawn fan.

Another good movie in the same vein - which SHOULD be remade - was "By Dawn's Early Light."

"By Dawn's Early Light" is like the liberal Red Dawn. It shows a nuclear war breaking out between the USA and USSR by complete accident - very much like Dr. Strangelove - only this time the majority of the US government is killed when DC is nuked.

The President's helicopter crashes, and the President survives and taken to a field hospital. No body believes him when he says he's the president :) The only surviving member of the government is the Secretary of...Agriculture or something like that - and he is "next in line" - gets manipulated by the generals and decides to launch full blown nuclear retaliation...

Anyways - not to spoil the whole movie - but it's fun, it's daring, it's inteligent - and it's the 1980s and it's cheesy! :)

It could easily be remade :)

Although I generally agree remakes suck.

VFTF1

Red Dawn was a great movie :) I loved it.

Of course, the premise of an invasion was a bit..well..bizzare - but then again, I'm sure that's what EVERYBODY whose country has ever been invaded first thinks when they hear "we've been invaded!"... and the movie was supposed to wake Americans up to the fact that they were not immune from the forces of history.

Sure it was corny, it was cheesy, it was a B movie... but it had its' moments :) I'm a Red Dawn fan.

Another good movie in the same vein - which SHOULD be remade - was "By Dawn's Early Light."

"By Dawn's Early Light" is like the liberal Red Dawn. It shows a nuclear war breaking out between the USA and USSR by complete accident - very much like Dr. Strangelove - only this time the majority of the US government is killed when DC is nuked.

The President's helicopter crashes, and the President survives and taken to a field hospital. No body believes him when he says he's the president :) The only surviving member of the government is the Secretary of...Agriculture or something like that - and he is "next in line" - gets manipulated by the generals and decides to launch full blown nuclear retaliation...

Anyways - not to spoil the whole movie - but it's fun, it's daring, it's inteligent - and it's the 1980s and it's cheesy! :)

It could easily be remade :)

Although I generally agree remakes suck.

VFTF1

I`m going to hunt that one down. Sounds good.

They could do Red Dawn as an historical nostalgia movie actually set in the `80s or in a world of today where the Soviet Union never collapsed.

Speaking of Hollywood not wanting to offend anybody the ideal path would be to make the enemies the Soviets again because they`re aren`t any Soviets anymore to offend. It would have the same offense level of a movie about World War 2 featuring Nazis or Imperial Japanese as the bad guys. ie none. (except for maybe a lot of Japanese I`ve met who genuinely think they were the good guys in WWII!)