My Fair Minmay and White Reminicences

Gubaba

Well, after finishing translating the SDF Macross "White Christmas" story last night, I have a little itch to do more, so does anyone have scans of either Dreaming Prelude: My Fair Minmay or Misa Hayase: White Reminicences (largish, so I can look up the kanji)?

I figure the answer is no, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.

White Reminiscences is a mini-novel, and My Fair Minmay / Dreaming Prelude is in TV script format. Are you sure you want to undertake this task?

I have both books, but they are in the UK. I might find copies next time I'm in either Osaka or Tokyo, they are not too rare.... at least they weren't a few years ago, not sure now.

Dunno about being able to scan the whole thing though. I will let you know if and when I get hold of them.

White Reminiscences is a mini-novel, and My Fair Minmay / Dreaming Prelude is in TV script format. Are you sure you want to undertake this task?

I have both books, but they are in the UK. I might find copies next time I'm in either Osaka or Tokyo, they are not too rare.... at least they weren't a few years ago, not sure now.

Dunno about being able to scan the whole thing though. I will let you know if and when I get hold of them.

Dunno if I want to undertake it yet...how big is the print?

If they're that big, I might as well wait until I get back to Tokyo in August, and just pick them up for myself...glad to hear they're not too rare.

(What I'd REALLY like to get my hands on is the mac Plus novelization...but I think it'll be a while before I could do it justice...)

But if you find them before that, please let me know. Thanks!

You can usually find them in the bunko section of Mandarake, for dirt cheap.

The Macross Plus ones, on the other hand, I have searched for years and only seen it maybe once in an auction. Also, I think only the first of two parts ever got released?? Not sure, but I seem to remember there was some kind of issue there.

You can usually find them in the bunko section of Mandarake, for dirt cheap.

The Macross Plus ones, on the other hand, I have searched for years and only seen it maybe once in an auction. Also, I think only the first of two parts ever got released?? Not sure, but I seem to remember there was some kind of issue there.

Yeah, I found one of the SDF TV novelizations in good ol' Nakano for ¥110 (unfortunately, it was the middle book) last December, so I have high hopes for my next visit.

And I didn't even realize there was a Mac Plus novelization until I saw in last month on the Compendium...I sure hope there wasn't an unreleased second volume...the main reason I wanted to read it was for some clarification on epsiode 4...

Oh well, I guess it's back to my first plan of kidnapping Keiko Nobumoto and peppering her with Plus (and Cowboy Bebop) questions...

Yeah, I found one of the SDF TV novelizations in good ol' Nakano for ¥110 (unfortunately, it was the middle book) last December, so I have high hopes for my next visit.

And I didn't even realize there was a Mac Plus novelization until I saw in last month on the Compendium...I sure hope there wasn't an unreleased second volume...the main reason I wanted to read it was for some clarification on epsiode 4...

Oh well, I guess it's back to my first plan of kidnapping Keiko Nobumoto and peppering her with Plus (and Cowboy Bebop) questions...

I actually collected all the Macross novels years ago since I was a kid and read all the Macross & Macross II novels in one month about 7 or 8 years ago. The Dreamy Prelude Minmay script one is questionable. There's a chapter where Janice has a plan to have someone rape Minmay and humiliate her, so it left a bad taste in my mouth. Unfortunately, it was during a time when rape wasn't considered such a serious crime or offense. :<

The White Reminiscence book is much more enjoyable, especially when Riber takes Misa to Yokohama and they meet Minmay. Not a ton of new information, except that it explains that Misa and Riber met at a party in Australia.

There is only one Macross Plus novel. There was supposed to be a second one, but according to the afternotes by Nobumoto, she had trouble finishing the first novel. This is the only novel I've skimmed, but it does have some good background information. It's around 182 pages (+ 2 pages of notes). Can't say I can scan it in fear of ruining the book, but let me know what your question about episode 4 is. I might read it this weekend and get back to you.

I actually collected all the Macross novels years ago since I was a kid and read all the Macross & Macross II novels in one month about 7 or 8 years ago. The Dreamy Prelude Minmay script one is questionable. There's a chapter where Janice has a plan to have someone rape Minmay and humiliate her, so it left a bad taste in my mouth. Unfortunately, it was during a time when rape wasn't considered such a serious crime or offense. :<

The White Reminiscence book is much more enjoyable, especially when Riber takes Misa to Yokohama and they meet Minmay. Not a ton of new information, except that it explains that Misa and Riber met at a party in Australia.

There is only one Macross Plus novel. There was supposed to be a second one, but according to the afternotes by Nobumoto, she had trouble finishing the first novel. This is the only novel I've skimmed, but it does have some good background information. It's around 182 pages (+ 2 pages of notes). Can't say I can scan it in fear of ruining the book, but let me know what your question about episode 4 is. I might read it this weekend and get back to you.

Macross Rapeman...? :blink: Hmmm...maybe I don't need to read it...

But that actually ties into my question for Plus...did Guld rape Myung? Does the novel say?

And how were the SDF novels? I glanced throught the one that I got, and seemed more like a synopsis of the show than a full, developed novel...

Er.... What?? :blink:

It was many years ago that I read it, but I know I would have remembered any Minmay rape shenanigans. I guess my Japanese wasn't very good back then..? Gonna have to get ahold of that one again for sure, then. :mellow:

Macross Rapeman...? :blink: Hmmm...maybe I don't need to read it...

But that actually ties into my question for Plus...did Guld rape Myung? Does the novel say?

And how were the SDF novels? I glanced throught the one that I got, and seemed more like a synopsis of the show than a full, developed novel...

To make the Dreamy Prelude rape point clear, Minmay is never raped and the actions are never carried out. I forget why and how, but just the idea of Janice scheming a Minmay rape plot soiled the story for me.

As for Guld and Myung, the novel's setting of the scene is different. From the skimming I did of the previous chapter and the actual chapter, here's what happens (it occurs in the chapter "Vanishing Point" pages 71-82). Isamu's mother Mariara has told Isamu the news that Myung's father Ravel Fang Lone has just died in a space fold accident, no survivors. Isamu rushes over on his bike to Myung's house on the rainy night and finds her in her father's study staring at a candle. She says very little, except that whenever something good happens, something bad is bound to follow (apparently she did well in an audition). She leaves the room and the lights in the house go out (short circuit). Isamu finds Myung on the living room floor and comforts her, telling Myung that his "old hag" (ie mother) would be coming over and stay with her through the night and that everyone would help her through this time. Eventually Myung wraps her arms around Isamu's neck and he hugs her back.

Guld sees this and loses all sanity, not even able to recognize Isamu and Myung. At first Isamu thinks it's his mother coming into the room, until he's punched. Guld attacks Isamu, punching him repeatedly, while Myung screams for Guld to stop. Eventually, he punches Myung into a wall when she tries to stop him. She's unconcious and Guld asks himself, Did Isamu come after her? Why is Myung unconcious? Is this Myung? This isn't Myung. Was Myung's skin this white? Her neck, her arms, her breasts. And then he rips her shirt still trying to figure out if it's Myung, when Isamu hits Guld in the head with an armchair to knock him out. Isamu carries Myung to the "Pyramid Room" in the house and covers her with a sheet. He then carries Guld to the apple tree outside in the garden, when he hears a police siren. Isamu apparently splits to avoid getting Guld in trouble.

By the time Mariara comes over (carrying a lunch box for Myung), she sees Guld being questioned by a police man. Guld isn't sure who attacked Myung and doesn't know who hit him with the chair, although he remembers Isamu being there. After the police leave, she takes Guld inside after seeing his wounds. While she dresses Guld's head wounds (she's a nurse), Mariana asks Guld if Isamu was there. Guld says no, but she doesn't believe him and tells him to be careful on his way home. She then calls Isamu, but doesn't get an answer and can't believe her son would do such a thing.

--------------------------------------------------------

So, Guld did not do anything sexual to Myung, but he did rip her shirt, so it could be considered rape. Also, there are a few conflicts with the animation side (Myung crying and Isamu with his hands on her shoulders to comfort her), since she is unconcious when all this happens in the novel.

As for the TV novels, my memory isn't so good. If I remember, the first book is dedicated to the first six episodes, the second to 7 -16, and the last 17-27. The last two books seem rushed, and it ends with Hikaru and Misa staring at the sky (the Macross hasn't returned to earth yet) and feels like they're the last two people on Earth. I don't believe there is anything enlightening or clarified in them, but I should probably give them another read if I can find the box they're in (I have around 1,200 mangas and 300 novels - horror, TV/movie adaptions, biographies, anime, most boxed up since I have no more space on my bookshelves).

To make the Dreamy Prelude rape point clear, Minmay is never raped and the actions are never carried out. I forget why and how, but just the idea of Janice scheming a Minmay rape plot soiled the story for me.

As for Guld and Myung, the novel's setting of the scene is different. From the skimming I did of the previous chapter and the actual chapter, here's what happens (it occurs in the chapter "Vanishing Point" pages 71-82). Isamu's mother Mariara has told Isamu the news that Myung's father Ravel Fang Lone has just died in a space fold accident, no survivors. Isamu rushes over on his bike to Myung's house on the rainy night and finds her in her father's study staring at a candle. She says very little, except that whenever something good happens, something bad is bound to follow (apparently she did well in an audition). She leaves the room and the lights in the house go out (short circuit). Isamu finds Myung on the living room floor and comforts her, telling Myung that his "old hag" (ie mother) would be coming over and stay with her through the night and that everyone would help her through this time. Eventually Myung wraps her arms around Isamu's neck and he hugs her back.

Guld sees this and loses all sanity, not even able to recognize Isamu and Myung. At first Isamu thinks it's his mother coming into the room, until he's punched. Guld attacks Isamu, punching him repeatedly, while Myung screams for Guld to stop. Eventually, he punches Myung into a wall when she tries to stop him. She's unconcious and Guld asks himself, Did Isamu come after her? Why is Myung unconcious? Is this Myung? This isn't Myung. Was Myung's skin this white? Her neck, her arms, her breasts. And then he rips her shirt still trying to figure out if it's Myung, when Isamu hits Guld in the head with an armchair to knock him out. Isamu carries Myung to the "Pyramid Room" in the house and covers her with a sheet. He then carries Guld to the apple tree outside in the garden, when he hears a police siren. Isamu apparently splits to avoid getting Guld in trouble.

By the time Mariara comes over (carrying a lunch box for Myung), she sees Guld being questioned by a police man. Guld isn't sure who attacked Myung and doesn't know who hit him with the chair, although he remembers Isamu being there. After the police leave, she takes Guld inside after seeing his wounds. While she dresses Guld's head wounds (she's a nurse), Mariana asks Guld if Isamu was there. Guld says no, but she doesn't believe him and tells him to be careful on his way home. She then calls Isamu, but doesn't get an answer and can't believe her son would do such a thing.

--------------------------------------------------------

So, Guld did not do anything sexual to Myung, but he did rip her shirt, so it could be considered rape. Also, there are a few conflicts with the animation side (Myung crying and Isamu with his hands on her shoulders to comfort her), since she is unconcious when all this happens in the novel.

As for the TV novels, my memory isn't so good. If I remember, the first book is dedicated to the first six episodes, the second to 7 -16, and the last 17-27. The last two books seem rushed, and it ends with Hikaru and Misa staring at the sky (the Macross hasn't returned to earth yet) and feels like they're the last two people on Earth. I don't believe there is anything enlightening or clarified in them, but I should probably give them another read if I can find the box they're in (I have around 1,200 mangas and 300 novels - horror, TV/movie adaptions, biographies, anime, most boxed up since I have no more space on my bookshelves).

Thank you for that! It may or may not shed any light on the anime, but it's interesting in and of itself.

The impression I got of the TV novelization was yeah, that it seemed a little rushed. Hell, even Jack McKinney had twice as many novels to tell the story...

• 2 weeks later...
Dunno if I want to undertake it yet...how big is the print?

I got White Reminiscences if you're still interested in translating it. It's got 5 chapters with each chapter ranging from 15 pages to a whopping 30 pages long. The pages contain vertical kanji. But if you don't want to, that's cool. It's illustrated with enough beautiful Mikimoto artwork to keep my happy. ^_^

I got White Reminiscences if you're still interested in translating it. It's got 5 chapters with each chapter ranging from 15 pages to a whopping 30 pages long. The pages contain vertical kanji. But if you don't want to, that's cool. It's illustrated with enough beautiful Mikimoto artwork to keep my happy. ^_^

If you're willing to scan it, I'm willing to translate it!

No guarantees on a time-frame, though...

You're on! PM me your email address so that I can send them on over. I'm planning on scanning them one chapter at a time to spare me (and my scanner) a massive headache.

And take all the time that you need, I can't argue with a free translation.

Done and done. (And I do mean done.)

And thanks! ^_^

• 5 months later...
(What I'd REALLY like to get my hands on is the mac Plus novelization...but I think it'll be a while before I could do it justice...)

Look at what I recently stumbled across.

I know you're busy with Chronicles, Miss DJ and White Reminicenses. But if you ever want to take a crack at this one in the future, just let me know and I'll send you some scans. Why couldn't I have found this last summer! :p

post-221-1225995138_thumb.jpg

Look at what I recently stumbled across.

I know you're busy with Chronicles, Miss DJ and White Reminicenses. But if you ever want to take a crack at this one in the future, just let me know and I'll send you some scans. Why couldn't I have found this last summer! :p

HOT DAMN HELL YEAH! :lol:

Although, I really think I will soon have to admit defeat (for now) on White Reminicences...if you'd settle for a summary, I can do that easily, but an actual translation may just be beyond my abilities. But of course, I'm still studying Japanese...so I'll keep trying until I can get it. It's just that it won't be as soon as I would have liked...

Wow, that's nice, I'm happy to found out that Myung is not a "broken good". I would love to read the translation of the M:Plus novelization. You got my support Gubaba, keep up the good work B))

Wow, that's nice, I'm happy to found out that Myung is not a "broken good". I would love to read the translation of the M:Plus novelization. You got my support Gubaba, keep up the good work B))

Myung was pretty messed up in the head. That is "broken goods" in my book. I'd ship her back to Kawamori for a refund if I could. :lol:

Y'know...last winter, I began to realize just how much Macross material had been left untranslated, some of it for more than two decades. I thought, "Hey, give me a year, and I'll translate it all!"

That may have been a little too ambitious on my part... :unsure:

Janice? Are you talking about Janice from Robotech?

I'm sure that piece of poo called Carl Macek wanted to see that happen. <_< What a disgusting coward that guy is for hating Minmay that much. F*ck him.

Edited by Macross007

Despite that little tidbit, they STILL decided to put Janice in the Shadow Chronicles? Even if what's counted as canon anymore is a mess, wtf?

What does any of this have to do with Macek, Robotech, or Shadow Chronicles? We were talking about Japanese Macross novels.