Macross World Podcast

Can we, as a community, come up with a podcast for MW, and would the site support it? Is the interest there? Is it doomed to go nowhere because things are bound to die down after Frontier wraps? Can and will the powers that be who run MW host it? Speak!

Maybe if I didn't already have a podcast where we talk about Macross all the time I'd want to be part of one. But yes, those Robotech podcasts are all pretty awful. Doug Bendo even did a three hour podcast about how bad we supposedly are, all the while saying totally racist, homophobic things.

I'm up for a good laugh, got a link? ^_^

Maybe if I didn't already have a podcast where we talk about Macross all the time I'd want to be part of one. But yes, those Robotech podcasts are all pretty awful. Doug Bendo even did a three hour podcast about how bad we supposedly are, all the while saying totally racist, homophobic things.

who's doug bendo?

Anyway, what kind of podcast would it be? Fanmade podcasts are kinda Iffy... reminds me of Chris Farley interviews...

"remember that time the 25 blew upthe vajra... hehe... that was cool..."

Maybe Egan can do it. Add some officialness. Except he's so softspoken his voice woud put me to sleep... Sorry Egan!

Anyway, what kind of podcast would it be? Fanmade podcasts are kinda Iffy... reminds me of Chris Farley interviews...

"remember that time the 25 blew upthe vajra... hehe... that was cool..."

It seems to me that there's plenty of fine details, connections, and plot gaps explore given all the talk every week on the forums. Though, nearly all of it will eventually look silly.

We almost did a week by week review of Macross F (actually recorded the one for the first episode), but I listened to other podcasts that do week by week episode reviews for Bleach and stuff and it just gets really inane and repetative after a while. I think a big overall review works a lot better because you can dig into the meat and themes much more effectively. Also it's a bit late for a week to week for Macross F. :)

As for Bendo:

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...amp;pageSize=15

You want:

02/02/2008 11:30 PM EST 1:00:03 responts to dx destroy all pod cast review part 1 "C"

02/02/2008 11:15 PM EST 1:01:52 responts to dx destroy all pod cast review part 1 "B"

02/02/2008 11:00 PM EST 1:00:23 responts to dx destroy all pod cast review part 1 "A"

Yeah. That's right. "responts". This is a reaction to our review of SDF Macross from Christmas, mostly little out of context quotes and followed by him calling us "fags".

Edited by Ginrai

We almost did a week by week review of Macross F (actually recorded the one for the first episode), but I listened to other podcasts that do week by week episode reviews for Bleach and stuff and it just gets really inane and repetative after a while. I think a big overall review works a lot better because you can dig into the meat and themes much more effectively. Also it's a bit late for a week to week for Macross F. :)

You could do one in chunks. Every 6 or 7 episodes, say.

I tried to listen to Gundamn!'s 5 or 6 episode chunk reviews of Gundam 00 and it was also really, really hard to listen to. I just think it's way too much detail and ends up being mostly plot summary. Unless you are dissecting minor animation flaws, there's usually not enough to sustain a proper discussion for. If it's like a 3 or 4 minute little blurb instead of a proper review, I think it'd be okay, but I don't think it really works if you go for much longer.

Yeah. That's right. "responts". This is a reaction to our review of SDF Macross from Christmas, mostly little out of context quotes and followed by him calling us "fags".

What a sad, sad being.

I personally find many of the Macross World members to be rather intelligent and good hearted. This is an online community that I am happy to be a part of and have made some friends here. Very mature calling a group of over 8,000 people "fags". Just sad really.

I just think it's way too much detail and ends up being mostly plot summary.

Hey, at least they're consistent, cause MAHQ reviews are pretty much plot summaries with a numerical score.

But you didn't hear that from me. B))

Keep rocking, Jeremy and Andrew.

As for Bendo:

You want:

02/02/2008 11:30 PM EST 1:00:03 responts to dx destroy all pod cast review part 1 "C"

02/02/2008 11:15 PM EST 1:01:52 responts to dx destroy all pod cast review part 1 "B"

02/02/2008 11:00 PM EST 1:00:23 responts to dx destroy all pod cast review part 1 "A"

that was really painful.

By "us" I meant Andrew and I, not the whole of Macross World. :)

DO NOT TRY TO BE OBJECTIVE! That's the key!!!

I feel that being attached to an anime show like Robotech is like being 55 and still trying to convince yourself that Santa does exist. Now fans are so into it, there is now proud way of stepping out, they'll have to defend the monster they created till the end, but I feel deep inside they know Robotech is souless and already walking 'the green mile'.....

Anyways, back to topic:

DAPDX rocks, very funny show, readical, that's why I like it. Many other anime Pcasts are booring because they review 'objectively' in my opinion. And as for MW Pcast, I'd say there is no real way of doing it, except for a cooperative effort, where shows would be recorded by many members, and put together/revised by the Admins.... I mean, Admins are already very busy running this website and their growing families, so sounds unlikely to me they'll have the time to put an official MW Pcast together. Mr Ginrai can tell us how much time takes to put a weekly show in the air I'm sure

Maybe a once-in-a-while thing like the Blizzcast would be more apropiate, say every couple of months, in the event of something big happening, like the MWcons and stuff.

Hey, at least they're consistent, cause MAHQ reviews are pretty much plot summaries with a numerical score.

But you didn't hear that from me. B))

Keep rocking, Jeremy and Andrew.

Yeah, that's exactly my problem with MAHQ and to a large degree Gundamn! as well. They don't really have opinions.

DO NOT TRY TO BE OBJECTIVE! That's the key!!!

I feel that being attached to an anime show like Robotech is like being 55 and still trying to convince yourself that Santa does exist. Now fans are so into it, there is now proud way of stepping out, they'll have to defend the monster they created till the end, but I feel deep inside they know Robotech is souless and already walking 'the green mile'.....

Anyways, back to topic:

DAPDX rocks, very funny show, readical, that's why I like it. Many other anime Pcasts are booring because they review 'objectively' in my opinion. And as for MW Pcast, I'd say there is no real way of doing it, except for a cooperative effort, where shows would be recorded by many members, and put together/revised by the Admins.... I mean, Admins are already very busy running this website and their growing families, so sounds unlikely to me they'll have the time to put an official MW Pcast together. Mr Ginrai can tell us how much time takes to put a weekly show in the air I'm sure

Maybe a once-in-a-while thing like the Blizzcast would be more apropiate, say every couple of months, in the event of something big happening, like the MWcons and stuff.

I'm glad you like our show! Yeah, I am not objective and I don't mind. I'm highly opinionated and loud. And yes, it does take a lot more time than you might realize to do a podcast. That's why so many podcasts start and then die within ten episodes. People begin to realize how much work it takes. If you keep going, you come up with ways to make it easier, like recording episodes in advance (I probably have at least ten episodes already recorded just waiting for me to edit, more if you count STs, which are easy to edit filler). Doing it regularly is hard and if you are not consistent or mostly consistent (I've been a day late a few times, oops) no one will listen.

If you wanted us to produce specials for MW with some help from other MW members maybe that would be a good way to hit both things? Obviously there's no way to represent MW's collective opinion, because the constant fighting we have certainly proves there is no consistent opinion, but we could have a podcast with other MW people sometimes, when a big thing happens like you mention, that could be fun. If there's anyone local to Andrew or I, we could probably use our equipment directly and improve sound quality a lot.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Ginrai

I think the "Plot-Summary" style of review served a useful and valid purpose back when anime was generally hard to come by, and was almost always raw in the event that you actually lucked out and found a copy.

These days, a link to rapidshare is much more useful. But some still cling to old ways of doing things...which is, I guess, fine. If you're really funny, or can add some brilliant analysis, it can skill be great. Otherwise, don't bother.

Me, I'd LIKE to have a blog or podcast or something, but I'm not funny or smart enough to scintillate on demand, nor am I fast enough with the news to break stories (at least, not consistently. I did find the Macross F OST track listing minutes after the Victor website posted it, but that was just luck). So what I could bring to a Macrossworld podcast is an open question. I've been told that I have a good "radio voice," though (Thank you, pack-a-day habit!), and I think my prose style isn't half bad, so those could be worth something...

Sounds good get it going, I can try to do stuff for it on this end. As far as the Robotech stuff it's going to come up regardless, but just let it be a separate existence and not let it detract from doing a good cast and turn into a childish mud slinging sand box. Otherwise I've got better things to do.

I tried to listen to Gundamn!'s 5 or 6 episode chunk reviews of Gundam 00 and it was also really, really hard to listen to. I just think it's way too much detail and ends up being mostly plot summary. Unless you are dissecting minor animation flaws, there's usually not enough to sustain a proper discussion for. If it's like a 3 or 4 minute little blurb instead of a proper review, I think it'd be okay, but I don't think it really works if you go for much longer.

That's kind of been a bit of a problem, but we've taken some steps to address that. Starting with episode 14, our reviews focus less on plot and more on discussion and commentary. When we originally recorded our cursed 13th episode, we spent over an hour on just the last 4 eps of 00. During the re-recording, we cut that down significantly.

Anyway, on the subject of a Macross World podcast, I would definitely want to hear that and would help promote it. We're going to be covering more Macross in the future on Gundamn aside from Frontier, but there's certainly enough room in the tubes for a Macross-centric podcast.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody thought of doing a Macross World streaming radio show?

I was looking at the Macross Generation website and saw that they had a radio show.

www.shoutcast.com software works with winamp software for streaming radio. I'm not sure if a streaming radio station is something for me, since I do a lot of downloading and uploading to the iMacross server on a regular basis and I don't have a realy good radio voice.

To set up Shoutcast radio on Winamp:

1. winamp installed

2. shoutcast client installed

a. winamp options

b. preferences

c. DSP/effect

d. Shoutcast source

e. click on configure

f. Connection:

i. type in your ip address

ii. type in your isp password, which is the same password as in your shoutcast server config txt file

iii. output 1

iv. encoder 1 set at 96 kb/s v2, 441000 stereo AAC

(update: I think AAC sounds better than mp3 at higher bit rates.)

v. port 8000 ; you have to double check to see that this port is open on your router or firewall

vi. connect at start up checked

m. Yellow pages:

i. Radio name : iMacross4 Radio

ii. urls name: http://www.shoutcast.com

iii. enble title updates checked

iii. Genre: Film/Show

3. shoutcast server installed

a. click on "edit config" to bring up the config text file

b. scroll down to 2nd paragraph and type in your isp password, instead of "any"

c. close and save config text and restart shoutcast server

4. www.myipaddress.com to find out my ip address

5. password from isp modem

I'm currently broadcasting as " iMacross4 Radio "

Macross World Radio would be a better name though.

You can also listen for shoutcast streaming radio with videolan player.

1. click on "playlist" on top bar of videolan

2. manage

3. services discovery

4. shoutcast radio listings

5. Film

6. iMacross4 Radio

(video lan crashed on me in the middle of doing this, so winamp looks like it's more stable than videolan.)

Have a listen to see if it's worthwhile. Macross song collections are in play for testing purposes at 96 kb/s stereo AAC. I asked Gubaba if he could listen how well the radio broadcast is working. If we could have a volunteer from the audience to host the radio show at a higher kb/s, then all we need to do is figure out a radio show play list.

Some ideas I have so far are:

1. Macross music

2. Macross dramas

(The dramas are interesting to hear, but if you don't speak Japanese, like me, then you have to wait for a future translation to enjoy them. Maybe, original Macross dramas or Hikuro's english Macross dubs?)

3. Macross toy reviews

4. Macross anime reviews, e.g. DAPDX, etc.

5. Macross book reviews

6. Macross convention news

7. Latest updates to Macross World

8. Macross interviews with MW members about their Macross experiences in a Macross-like way

9. ???

Updated with new bitrate, radio set up and videolan settings.

Edited by boinger

I've been disconnected from shoutcast. I'm not sure why. Managed to stay on line with shoutcast from 9 pm yesterday to 2: 14 pm today.

That's it for iMacross4 radio.

I just thought I would try it out.

As for Bendo:

You want:

Mr Bendo is a real "See You Next Tuesday" sort of guy, it must be said. And by acting like that he absolutely destroys any credibility and respect that people might have for him.(if anybody had any respect for him to start with) Fine with me.

Is he typical of "hardcore" Robotech fanatics??

Taksraven