1:72 Hasegawa SV-51 w/twin booster WIP

Rockhound

I hate to say it this late in the painting but in the photos it looks like your magenta/burgundy color is very spotty. Like some of the primer is showing through in spots.

Thanks for the heads up. I looked over the model after reading your post. In three different light sources, I couldn't see any of the primer coming through. It could be the gloss coat u not coating enough. Also, I had to play with the levels in some of the photos to help actentuate (sp?) the edges of color. There was one spot on the fuselage, towards the back, that looked like it might not have received the right amount of paint. But all in all, it's a good covering. Thanks for the insight though. Once I apply the decals, i might add a quick dusting of color to help blend the decals more. That might help with the spotting also.

You do realize you've built a Reactive armored VF-0S, a VF-0D, an Sv-51 booster kit, and god only knows what else in the time I've assembled and primed ONE VF-1J Super Battroid!!!!!! You're making me look really bad across the board here!

You do realize you've built a Reactive armored VF-0S, a VF-0D, an Sv-51 booster kit, and god only knows what else in the time I've assembled and primed ONE VF-1J Super Battroid!!!!!! You're making me look really bad across the board here!

A VF-0S reactive armor, VF-1S Strike valk, VF-0D, YF-19, and working on the SV-51 now. I say each one takes a little less than two weeks. I get plenty of time since I only have to worry about being a college student and live off the GI Bill and student loans. I've still got 4 or 5 stock models and 1 custom to do. I guess it never ends.

Update: Decals!!!!!

The decals are large, expansive, and to me: the fun part.

First, the wings. Since I was silly enough to cut the flaps first I had to figure out the best way to attach the decals. I put the flaps back on and stuck a piece ot tape on the bottom of the wing to hold it in place. This will allow you to position the decal in the correct spot. Unfortunately, I forgot about the raised lip around the wing that occurs when you cut the flaps. Next time I'll remember to sand that down.

post-7656-1211348115_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211348145_thumb.gif

Once the tape is in place, atach the decal. It's going to take a TON of MicroSet to make sure the decal conforms to every little lip and recess in the wing. Here are the wings still wet.

post-7656-1211348264_thumb.gif

Once I have enough MicroSet down and am happy with the decal set, I'll hit it with some semi-gloss coat and wait for it to dry. Then I'll repeat the whole thing with the other side. Make sure you coat the side of the wingwith the decal before applying tape!!!!!!

Here are some other shots. The yellow stripe decals are fairly easy to apply, you just need to know where to trim off the excess film for a good fit, such as along the area that ends at the leading edges of the wings/stabs/canards.

post-7656-1211348485_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211348496_thumb.gif

post-7656-1211348506_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211348517_thumb.gif

post-7656-1211348528_thumb.gif

The missile pods were assembled with the side fins and pylong AFTER applying the black stripes. And the decals on the legs will need alot of MicroSet also to help with the drilled holes in the back.Luckily, you can apply the MicroSet to the back through the holes to help. Well, that's it for now.

Update: More decals and a lesson learned.

So, okay. I finished the top of the wing and switched everything over to work on the bottom. I get the flaps positioned, and the decal down. However, the center piece that gets glued on is in the way. The decal will not lay properly. So to fix this, lay the decal down as normal. After the water dries, soak it in MicroSet. When that dries, use an x-acto knife and cit a line around the center piece. This will relieve some tension in the decal and allow it to set flat. Also, make sure to trim the edge of the decal that rests on the edge of the wing.

post-7656-1211420152_thumb.gif

Also, the decals that run along the side: gunport to wing. The first decal that surrounds the gun fits properly. Do not touch it when it's in place. The decal that goes behind it, however, does not properly contour to the surface and will wrinkle on you. Most people might not have a rpoblem with this decal, but since I did the decal is obviously faulty! :rolleyes: Use MicroSet as normal, much like the rest of the decals on this bird: ALOT! Make sure to trim the decal right at the edges at connect to each other. This will help it settle in one spot.

post-7656-1211420290_thumb.gif

The decal that runs the length of the fuselage can be tricky. Because it's so long and splits into two directions the best course is to lay the decal arrowpoint first, then slowly slide the backing from the decal towards the back. This will at least set it in a postion that will allow it to be set properly. Nothing really needs to be trimmed, but trimming the inside of the decal will help alot so the bottom part can rest next to the fuselage.

post-7656-1211420410_thumb.gif

Also, if you're brave, after all the decals are set you can run a very sharp x-acto blade across the panel lines. There are not that many and most are just long straight lines. This will help once you apply the protective coat to give it some depth and for panel-lining after setting the decal. Here are some more shots of decal placement. Pay no attention to the unsightly fingerprint on the back...

post-7656-1211420655_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211420679_thumb.gif

post-7656-1211420690_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211420666_thumb.gif

That's it for now. Waiting on all this MicroSet to... set.

Update: COMPLETION!!!!!!!!

Yup, after 11 days, this bird is done. Thanks for following along and for the insight and advise along the way. I hope my WIP was helpful and will motivate you to build one of these kits. It's been a learning experience and I'm sure I'll do a better job on the next project. Until next time, enjoy some pictures.

post-7656-1211452859_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211452870_thumb.gif

post-7656-1211452927_thumb.gif

Amazing. 11 days!!!

I took 6 months (well, there are many longs pause in between, but still) to complete mine and it didn't looks as good as yours. I have a lot to learn from you.

Congrat, at this rate you could have a full set of Hasegawa macross kit soon. Keep it up man. :)

Amazing. 11 days!!!

I took 6 months (well, there are many longs pause in between, but still) to complete mine and it didn't looks as good as yours. I have a lot to learn from you.

Congrat, at this rate you could have a full set of Hasegawa macross kit soon. Keep it up man. :)

Yeah watch out HWR!!

Thanks for the kind replies fellas!

As for the boosters, they're finished and ready to be glued to the aircraft. But I really like how it looked without them, so I left them off. They're sitting underneath the model though to remind me I actually did them. haha

Next up, VF-0S Battroid (no armor this time) just because I need to switch kit styles from time to time. But no WIP this time.

P.S. Sorry Big F, but what does PITA mean? (I'm still a little uncultured.) And as far as HWR watching out. They're a difference between doing models fast (me) and doing models fast and well (HWR). hehe

edit: spelling

Edited by Rockhound

The plane looks great Rockhound! I'd be happy if I could complete a kit in three times the amount of time it took you. I'm glad to see someone is bringing some Macross goodness to down home Arkansas. My grandma lived in Searcy for a long time. It really is a beautiful state.

I take back what I said about Nora's valk being ugly as sin. What colors/mix did you use? I really like your choice, similar enough to be Nora, but darker. Very, very cool!

I take back what I said about Nora's valk being ugly as sin. What colors/mix did you use? I really like your choice, similar enough to be Nora, but darker. Very, very cool!

Guards Red, Kandy Scarlet, Flat Black, Gunship gray, and a little flat white.

Ah, thanks Big F. Usually I'm used to acronyms from my old job, but since I left that almost a year ago I'm not subjected to them that much. hehe. Remember, when doing the decals most of them are just large flat decals. Don't let the yellow stripes fool you. The only 2 decals you should really worry about are the two that run the length of the fuselage on the side. Other than that, the wings were really easy (just as long as you don't glue the piece on the bottom of the wing), and make sure you lay the decals properly behind the gunports.

Again, thanks for the awesome replies! I decided against building the VF-0S battroid and started the VF-oS with ghost booster instead.

Wow! a few days/weeks away performing fatherly duties and I almost missed this great thread!!

Great job Rockhound! - great build up, some good tips and ideas (I'll definitely look into drilling out the slots - they turned out great - what do you see through the slots? I'd like to thin out the plastic a bit at the slots so it looks more like sheet metal - but that's what I'm saying being a "back-seat" modeller, I'm sure its too much work when I finally get around to it - hehe... ;-) The finished model turned out beautifully - what a great job on the decals and how they turn into the slots slightly too.

Might I add a suggestion, maybe you could do a little light "post-shading" and panel oil-wash over the decalled areas so it would tie them into the plane a little bit more. Its a bit distracting (a dead giveaway that its a applied decal vs. painted area) that the "panel line details" disappears once it encounters the decal, and re-appears again on the other side and there is so much decals on this chosen scheme.

Thanks for sharing.

(p.s. did you do build up threads for your other models?)

Edited by wm cheng

Thanks for the kind words WM! I've never been any good at panel-washes, that's why I didn't risk using it on the decals. I thought that by using an x-acto knife and slicing through the decal and letting the semi-gloss coat weight it down might of helped. Found out it only works with wider gaps, such as the flaps on the rear stabs and wings. :rolleyes: I did, however, use a TON of MicroSet over two days on the kit. Didn't think I would have used so much.

As far as the holes, you don't really see much. The turbine piece and the toes/feathers pretty much block alot of light.

post-7656-1211588576_thumb.gif

I did two other threads also, the VF-0D WIP and the reactive armored VF-0S. That one is on the second page I think. ^_^

Anyways, I also attached the two boosters.

post-7656-1211588668_thumb.gifpost-7656-1211588677_thumb.gif

I think I like it better without the boosters. I feel they take away from the visceral appearence of the aircraft.