Chôjikû Yôsai Macross - Playstation 2

Heron

I believe the only way to go is a swap magic disk. The problem though is 3 things 1) You need to purchase a modified Slim Top which means you have too unscrew your PS2 and void the warranty, 2) You have to break and replace a nub that's by the lid before replacing your top, and 3) Find out which Slim model PS2 you have so you can buy the right Swap disc and mod top. Only certain models will be able to use the Swap disc if I remember right. That could of changed.

I tried doing this with a PS2 slim model I bought a year ago. Sadly though the warranty sticker was where you would need to unscrew. Not too mention the screws were REALLY tightly in place and VERY tiny.

I think it was 50 dollars to mod it with the new top and disc.

You're actually alot better off having one of the old fatty models than the slim jims as I call them.

Edited by Hikuro

Buy a Japanese PS2 as it simplifies everything and they are fairly cheap (generally $40-50 more than a US system) now it's either that or you could try to get a used fat model to make swap magic easier on you.

Here's a link to a PS2 Flip Top Cover Lid for New Slim Line PS2 (For Import Games)

http://store.videogamecentral.com/ps2fltopcoli.html

I would recommend getting the screw driver/tool with the swap discs, that'll make it easier to get the screws off the console so you can open up and mod the top.

Just remember if you buy one of the newer model PS2's one of the screws is covered by a sticker which if taken off will void the warranty, so I strongly recommend to save money just buy a used or refurbished model.

Hi,

I installed a mod chip in my fatty PS2. It cost $40 and it's permanent. I can play all my Japanese games, US games, and any region type DVD. It was hard to install and I had to get some help from a friend who works in electrical. There was about 20 small wires to connect. It's a great way to if you have some experience with soldering.

Cheers,

Casey

Jeeeeze Zinjo I wish I would of known :p I just bought a copy on ebay.

Well, for those of you who don't have soldering experince, flip tops are the way to go, but much easier with a slim unit then it is with a old fatty unit.

I finally got the balls to do it myself lastnight after getting everything I needed minus an import game.....hope that's today : /

Basically just unscrew the button, pop off the top, unscrew the latches under the top portion of the case where the lid ejects and one lil screw between them. Then just fight the lid to the left or right of you, pending how your holding it. Then insert the flip top lid over the top case, screw everything back on and you're done.

They say it takes 10-20 minutes.....hmmmm yeah I was about done in ten minutes and it supposively works with the silver and white slim cases as well. You can probably just spray paint your top if you want it to match.

Jeeeeze Zinjo I wish I would of known :p I just bought a copy on ebay.

Well, for those of you who don't have soldering experience, flip tops are the way to go, but much easier with a slim unit then it is with a old fatty unit.

I finally got the balls to do it myself last night after getting everything I needed minus an import game.....hope that's today : /

Basically just unscrew the button, pop off the top, unscrew the latches under the top portion of the case where the lid ejects and one lil screw between them. Then just fight the lid to the left or right of you, pending how your holding it. Then insert the flip top lid over the top case, screw everything back on and you're done.

They say it takes 10-20 minutes.....hmmmm yeah I was about done in ten minutes and it supposedly works with the silver and white slim cases as well. You can probably just spray paint your top if you want it to match.

Hikuro, do you have a reliable link to the flip top?

Sure do, PS2 FLIP TOP and here is the SWAP DISC you'd need. 1 is for the older first gen PS2 games like Devil May Cry, Bouncer, etc, and the other disc is for the games that came out after all that.

Sadly though these discs will not work on the PS2 for PS1 imports or vice versa :p

They have a deal on there, buy the discs and add the flip top as one package, but it's 10 cents more so I just bought them individually thru the site.

There's also a tutorial on how to open up the cases and put your flip top lid on your top case.

Sure do, PS2 FLIP TOP and here is the SWAP DISC you'd need. 1 is for the older first gen PS2 games like Devil May Cry, Bouncer, etc, and the other disc is for the games that came out after all that.

Sadly though these discs will not work on the PS2 for PS1 imports or vice versa :p

They have a deal on there, buy the discs and add the flip top as one package, but it's 10 cents more so I just bought them individually thru the site.

There's also a tutorial on how to open up the cases and put your flip top lid on your top case.

Dude, you rock. Thanks much!

Got my copy today, took a week and a half, but I got it. I dont have much to say snce I rush played it cause I was on lunch break and had 10 minutes.

Controls feel stiff and rather limited.....dunno if its cause I didnt know what I was doing or what ever.

Tonight I'll sit down and give it a good hour or two.

Got my copy today, took a week and a half, but I got it. I dont have much to say snce I rush played it cause I was on lunch break and had 10 minutes.

Controls feel stiff and rather limited.....dunno if its cause I didnt know what I was doing or what ever.

I'd recommend trying to find the IGN FAQ for the game.

I enjoyed playing through the TV campaign, but I had a lot of trouble with figuring out orientation, and rotating to face incoming missiles or enemies. After reading the FAQ, I found out you could instantly lock on and rotate to face an opponent in Battroid mode, and then switch to Gerwalk or Fighter to fire missiles at that opponent.

I still haven't got the handle on evading missiles. I can do the dodging roll, but I still always get overwhelmed. Shooting them down with lasers seems way too slow.

Flip tops and swap disks? I think most big North American cities with a Chinese community should be able to help you get your console modded with a chip instead. I bought mine here in China, and all the PS2's sold here come pre-modded!

They haven't cracked the PS3 yet, though...

Edited by Daigoro

Well, let me know what your final thoughts are.

Finished the TV storyline, a tad dissapointed with the ending but god damn will those Reflex missiles knock the crap out of you if you don't ruin the oppisite direction!

Did you get many S Ranks? I found many of the missions fairly easy to complete, but just can't get S Ranks on them -- I think I've only got two! And some missions required many attempts, like the Daedalus Attack mission.

In some of the forum and walkthrough comments I've seen, people say it is pretty easy to S Rank the entire game, but I just can't avoid getting damaged.

Finished the TV storyline, a tad disappointed with the ending but god damn will those Reflex missiles knock the crap out of you if you don't ruin the opposite direction!

It's more annoying when they don't actually fire or totally miss for no particular reason.

t's more annoying when they don't actually fire or totally miss for no particular reason.
I NOTICED THAT! I was wondering why it was taking me so damn long to take out 1 cruiser at one point after sending 5 Reflex missiles at it!

Did you get many S Ranks? I found many of the missions fairly easy to complete, but just can't get S Ranks on them -- I think I've only got two! And some missions required many attempts, like the Daedalus Attack mission.

I got ZIP for S ranks, when I first started playing and trying to get use to the controls, I was getting C ranks across the board. Than I tossed that game save and started fresh again and was getting A Ranks all the way until the final Prometheus mission and the DYRL battle against Miriya's Meltran cruiser. Those I got C and D on.

• 3 weeks later...